• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nanea to be sold only as flex later this summer

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
AS a buyer at NAnea before it opened, I can answer that. The sales people misrepresented the product as deeded weeks, NOT a flex points type purchase. So it always has been, but a lot of buyers were not aware of that due to the sales persons lips moving. I also was under the impression that it was a deeded week, as I was told as much.

I got the hint from the OP that it would become part of Westin Flex? Or is that not what was suggested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I don't know the answer to that one. I hope not, personally. I don't particularly respect what they did with the flex program. Owners can check in at 12 mos., well now so can all the flex owners. The advantage to owning AT the resort you want to stay at has been cheapened in my opinion. Most likely, Nanea will be added due to the slower moving inventory (resort view), so they can speed up the sales process. I actually can't wait until they are slowing down on the sales blitz so there won;t be so many discounted rooms there. It may sound kinda mean, but the bargain hunting guests aren't the most respectful of others.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I don't know the answer to that one. I hope not, personally. I don't particularly respect what they did with the flex program. Owners can check in at 12 mos., well now so can all the flex owners. The advantage to owning AT the resort you want to stay at has been cheapened in my opinion. Most likely, Nanea will be added due to the slower moving inventory (resort view), so they can speed up the sales process. I actually can't wait until they are slowing down on the sales blitz so there won;t be so many discounted rooms there. It may sound kinda mean, but the bargain hunting guests aren't the most respectful of others.
Marriotts philosophy is to offer unsold weeks for previews rather than renting them which is somewhat different when Vistana was running things we were told.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

If they add Nanea to flex, they will keep offering sales promos forever. They can sell flex with Hawaii access while only adding new units in Palm Desert at a way cheaper building cost.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
AS a buyer at NAnea before it opened, I can answer that. The sales people misrepresented the product as deeded weeks, NOT a flex points type purchase. So it always has been, but a lot of buyers were not aware of that due to the sales persons lips moving. I also was under the impression that it was a deeded week, as I was told as much.

The representation must have highly depended on the particular salesperson. I also purchased Nanea prior to it opening and it was very clear I was purchasing points and not a deeded week.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The representation must have highly depended on the particular salesperson. I also purchased Nanea prior to it opening and it was very clear I was purchasing points and not a deeded week.

I am sure it does/did.. I lay it on myself to have not double checked everything I was told, so no malice. But the whole conversation about it being a deeded week was obviously a selling point to him because he kept reiterating that during the sales meeting. it took a while to find out that was not true, and I learned that by looking at what I own on Vistana and saw how it was listed vs KORV.. still very glad to own at these two lovely resorts.. I was also new to timesharing at that point, so....

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were told this by a Hyatt salesman we met (not in a presentation though so he was pretty open. ) He was comparing the Hyatt deed in Hawaii to Nanea.He also told us we should have a better chance of exchanging into Hyatt internally in Hawaii as more units are sold as Marriott does not release unsold inventory for exchanges. They keep them for promotions. This would apply to Nanea as well.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We were told this by a Hyatt salesman we met (not in a presentation though so he was pretty open. ) He was comparing the Hyatt deed in Hawaii to Nanea.He also told us we should have a better chance of exchanging into Hyatt internally in Hawaii as more units are sold as Marriott does not release unsold inventory for exchanges. They keep them for promotions. This would apply to Nanea as well.

Salesman talk.

Long-term, there will be no unsold inventory for MOC, Nanea, or Hyatt Ka'anapali; exchange availability will be based on owner relinquishment.

Hyatt has 131 units on Maui; Marriott has a couple thousand units (counting the three Westins). Which exchange do we think will be easier? Not Hyatt.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Salesman talk.

Long-term, there will be no unsold inventory for MOC, Nanea, or Hyatt Ka'anapali; exchange availability will be based on owner relinquishment.

Hyatt has 131 units on Maui; Marriott has a couple thousand units (counting the three Westins). Which exchange do we think will be easier? Not Hyatt.
Yes of course. He was just saying in general we would not necessarily have to buy in Hawaii. He was reassuring us that we would not lose what we had in fact it could/should get easier. Being a Hawaii salesman he had no incentive to share that. We are exhangers as we own with Vistana and Hyatt and exchange often to Hawaii

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have been watching this thread since the beginning and am confused. I have to ask, hasn’t Nanea ALWAYS only been sold as Nanea Flex? Why is this new?
It isn't sold as Flex, it is sold as HomeOptions. Those HomeOptions can only be used to book your time at Nanea in the home resort preference period from 12-8 months out. Unlike Flex where you can use your FlexOptions to book any resort within the Flex family 12-8 months out.

jackball

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
We just attended an update presentation at Nanea. The salesperson said they will cease selling Nanea as HomeOptions on August 6.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, does the flex have higher maintenance fees? Not sure what the advantage is of myself being an owner at Nanea since before they opened, if all the newer owners will get the same reservation window I have but at all of the flex resorts. Isn't that taking away from those of us that own the homeoptions? Doesn't really sound fair to us who bought earlier. am I misunderstanding?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Nanea is not part of Westin Flex but Nanea is only sold as a flex product now. Nanea is not sold as floating weeks.

UPDATE: It appears Nanea (resort view) has been added to the Westin Flex program. I own Westin Flex and I just tried to make a dummy reservation 12 months out and it comes back as open as a Home Options Reservation. Also, if one goes to Vistana and clicks on Westin Flex, Nanea is shown as one of the Westin Flex properties. https://www.vistana.com/westin-flex

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I went to an owner's presentation at WMH a few days ago. FWIW, the sales rep said that Nanea (and Kierland) had been recently added to Flex. I haven't been keeping up with Flex or Nanea to know whether this was old news or not.

Glorian

jackball

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
We were told HomeOptions would still be sold until August 6. So those who already own or buy before August 6 will still have the 12-8 month HomeOptions reservation window. Starting August 6, we were told that new owners will only be able to reserve Nanea at 8 months out. They actually used it as a selling point to buy now.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We were told HomeOptions would still be sold until August 6. So those who already own or buy before August 6 will still have the 12-8 month HomeOptions reservation window. Starting August 6, we were told that new owners will only be able to reserve Nanea at 8 months out. They actually used it as a selling point to buy now.

That makes no sense -- and it was a salesperson's lips moving.

HomeOptions or Westin Flex permit reservations at the twelve month mark -- for units owned by the appropriate trust. I have to believe that all current Nanea HomeOptions owners will have access to a reservation pool that contains units covering all of the HomeOptions sold to date. And that WestinFlex owners will have access to a separate reservation pool that contains units covering all of the WestinFlex to be sold in the future.

And never the twain shall meet -- until the eight month mark when developer purchasers of either can use their resulting StarOptions for either pool of units.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
So do you think the parking lot view units will be in the Nanea Homeoptions pool of resort view units, or the Westin Flex pool of resort view units? If I had bought Homeoptions, I would try to make sure the HOA put the parking lot view units into the Westin Flex program, and kept the better resort view units for the Nanea Homeoptions HOA.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I went to an owner's presentation at WMH a few days ago. FWIW, the sales rep said that Nanea (and Kierland) had been recently added to Flex. I haven't been keeping up with Flex or Nanea to know whether this was old news or not.

Glorian

I believe Kierland has been part of Westin Flex since the beginning of Westin Flex. Nanea is definitely a new addition, perhaps within the past few weeks.

That makes no sense -- and it was a salesperson's lips moving.

HomeOptions or Westin Flex permit reservations at the twelve month mark -- for units owned by the appropriate trust. I have to believe that all current Nanea HomeOptions owners will have access to a reservation pool that contains units covering all of the HomeOptions sold to date. And that WestinFlex owners will have access to a separate reservation pool that contains units covering all of the WestinFlex to be sold in the future.

And never the twain shall meet -- until the eight month mark when developer purchasers of either can use their resulting StarOptions for either pool of units.

+1 This!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So do you think the parking lot view units will be in the Nanea Homeoptions pool of resort view units, or the Westin Flex pool of resort view units? If I had bought Homeoptions, I would try to make sure the HOA put the parking lot view units into the Westin Flex program, and kept the better resort view units for the Nanea Homeoptions HOA.
Points are points at Nanea for the most part. You have Ocean Front points and Resort View points. So they can't cherry pick which units to put in to the trust from the Resort View units. They are all part of the same home resort pool of unit/weeks that make up the trust of Resort View.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

I have a feeling you will find parking lot views in both of the programs.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Great question.

I would hope that the actual reservations will be in proportion to ownership (i.e. how many HomeOption units vs. Westin Flex units) while the room assignments themselves will be based on timestamp.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
People were saying that entire units would need to be in either the HomeOptions trust or in the Westin Flex Trust.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
People were saying that entire units would need to be in either the HomeOptions trust or in the Westin Flex Trust.
That is what I would expect. The trust has to hold real estate. But it does look like they conveyed a bunch of Nanea HomeOption points (7.4MM) over to the trust in this conveyance.

ETA: It looks like there are a bunch of them. Perhaps the 7.4MM plus the event week points consist of a single unit at Nanea.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
With that, it would seem easy enough for Marriott to convey unsold Flex points to the DC trust if they so desired.