• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Oceanfront??

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
it would be silly to compare Hawaii to Cancun but I have met several multiple week Hawaii owners that said they go much more often to Lagunamar than to their home resort. I think those that live on the East coast will not travel regularly to Hawaii.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I hate that with SOs you lose a view type when exchanging within Vistana.

That is not entirely true. A few years ago, Vistana changed the number of SOs required for Hawaii oceanfront. Therefore, you are now able to exchange within Vistana and ensure an OF in Hawaii.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
That is not entirely true. A few years ago, Vistana changed the number of SOs required for Hawaii oceanfront. Therefore, you are now able to exchange within Vistana and ensure an OF in Hawaii.

yes that is sometimes true. I was able to exchange my OF view that I own in the north building to an OF view in the south building based on number of points. That was the only way to ensure a view. I would not have exchanged otherwise. It was a rare exchange for shoulder season. Not something i usually see available at the 8 month mark. I am hoping that Vistana will honor that!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
it would be silly to compare Hawaii to Cancun but I have met several multiple week Hawaii owners that said they go much more often to Lagunamar than to their home resort. I think those that live on the East coast will not travel regularly to Hawaii.

This is not unusual to me. I am a Hawaii owner and I get so many points for my 2BR OF that I can break it up and get up to 2-4 vacations out of my one week in 1 BRs. If we broke it up into studios during shoulder seasons, we could possibly get 4 or more vacation weeks. For example, in low season, a one bedroom at WLR is only 44K SOs out of my 176K SOs. That would be 4 weeks of vacation in a 1BR in off season at WLR. I love the shoulder seasons in Mexico so I could see myself doing that. At this point, I have so many timeshares that I do not need to economize but perhaps when we retire, I might like maximizing my timeshares and points in this way.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think not. Vistana increased the number of SO's associated with high season at this resort a couple of years ago (from 81K to 148K for a 2bd); I don't see Lagunamar as likely to get another boost of this type.

There is a point premium for OF at WKORV/N, but Lagunamar does not have the same cache or demand as Maui.

Perhaps MVC will increase the points needed to stay at WLR in low season. It is too good a deal right now. Like I said earlier, I can get 4 weeks at WLR in a one bedroom in shoulder seasons that are not hurricane weeks or otherwise mud weeks at WLR for the point value of a 2BR OF in Maui. That is really the scam of the century, in some ways. I can own a more valuable week in Hawaii and trade down into 4 weeks elsewhere by picking the right weeks when the weather is still good. This seems like a loophole that MVC could take advantage of. The current owners of WLR will be happy to get extra DPs and it will cost all other members more points to exchange into WLR. Hyatt did this in Key West and no one complained much.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not unusual to me. I am a Hawaii owner and I get so many points for my 2BR OF that I can break it up and get up to 2-4 vacations out of my one week in 1 BRs. If we broke it up into studios during shoulder seasons, we could possibly get 4 or more vacation weeks. For example, in low season, a one bedroom at WLR is only 44K SOs out of my 176K SOs. That would be 4 weeks of vacation in a 1BR in off season at WLR. I love the shoulder seasons in Mexico so I could see myself doing that. At this point, I have so many timeshares that I do not need to economize but perhaps when we retire, I might like maximizing my timeshares and points in this way.
Right, but i have to point out, I was actually referring to the Lagunamar platinum season, we were there in March and several Hawaii owners were in Cancun at that time (for several weeks according to them) when the internal trading power was 1:1 between WLR and the Hawaii resorts

Otherwise I agree with you, there are few periods in the gold season at WLR that are very attractive to book with StarOptions: early December, January and May. At the same time, the gold season in Cancun includes September and October that are during the hurricane season and are usually very slow months.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Right, but i have to point out, I was actually referring to the Lagunamar platinum season, we were there in March and several Hawaii owners were in Cancun at that time (for several weeks according to them) when the internal trading power was 1:1 between WLR and the Hawaii resorts

Otherwise I agree with you, there are few periods in the gold season at WLR that are very attractive to book with StarOptions: early December, January and May. At the same time, the gold season in Cancun includes September and October that are during the hurricane season and are usually very slow months.

This still does not surprise me. I have 81K SOs banked and I had been contemplating using it in high season if a 1 BR came up and I could coordinate it with another high season week when I might be able to be there. I would still be getting 2 full weeks in a 1 BR for my Hawaii week and the 1 week is OF in Hawaii. In these circumstances, you should ask how they used the rest of their points. I would be pleased in using one week OF in Maul and 1 week high season in Mexico too. I could go cheap and off season with no views and probably get 5-6 weeks out of 176K SOs but I currently prefer paying more in points and getting OF. This might change in retirement though. I just traded my 1 BR portion on WKOVRN for a 1 BR OF portion in the south building. This is an equivalent trade IMO or perhaps a little better if I get a high floor with unobstructed ocean view. I could have traded for no view in Hawaii and spent less points or stayed in the studio side for less points but my decisions have many factors and not always the economical purely rationale decision since I was certain destinations, Suite sizes and view types more than the cost sometimes.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
in any case,
Let's not give them any ideas.:) I like that my 2 weeks from SVV gets me 4 weeks in January at WLR
Personally i do not see a reason for them to increase the points needed for gold season at Lagunamar. In the end, a low season is cheaper anywhere. We only own platinum and we are tied to the vacation schedule but i find the number of points for gold appropriate.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think it may be difficult to increase points at Lagunamar now that it is inside Aventuras. Points are allocated based on current point amounts. The same should be true for any resorts already conveyed to a Flex trust.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
what i find odd at Vistana properties is that the studios require 83% of the number of Staroptions for a 1 BR (67100 vs 81,000 SOs). The MF of a studio though at WLR are only 59% of the MF of a 1 BR, this makes more sense to me.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are closing on an Oceanside platinum week. I am wondering if any oceanside owner with an oceanside reservation was ever put in an unit that was not one of the end cap units .

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let's not give them any ideas.:) I like that my 2 weeks from SVV gets me 4 weeks in January at WLR

I think the gold season at WLR esp the winter and spring weeks outside of hurricane season, are the deal of the century in SOs. I think the high season is priced appropriately and perhaps a bit high since WLR includes so many typically low season summer weeks in the WLR Platinum season. Usually May through November is low season in Mexico and very easy to get cheap deals or exchanges. Unless you have to, it seems like a waste to use so many SOs for a summer week in Cancun. From an objective and unemotionally involved perspective, I think MVC should tighten up the WLR gold and Platinum season calendars, even though it would hurt me since I would no longer be able to exchange into the premium "cheap" gold weeks. This is making me think I should book a gold week at WLR for next year before MVC wises up!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
we are closing on an Oceanside platinum week. I am wondering if any oceanside owner with an oceanside reservation was ever put in an unit that was not one of the end cap units .

I bet you are the once closing on Syed's listing. It was a great deal for an oceanside platinum week. I was considering it but I was too late. It is already pending.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Not me. Always got Oceanside. If reservation is confirmed as Oceanside that is what to expect. I have always had 4th floor or higher. Most prefer Building 9; our preference.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not me. Always got Oceanside. If reservation is confirmed as Oceanside that is what to expect. I have always had 4th floor or higher. Most prefer Building 9; our preference.
Thank you

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I think the gold season at WLR esp the winter and spring weeks outside of hurricane season, are the deal of the century in SOs. I think the high season is priced appropriately and perhaps a bit high since WLR includes so many typically low season summer weeks in the WLR Platinum season. Usually May through November is low season in Mexico and very easy to get cheap deals or exchanges. Unless you have to, it seems like a waste to use so many SOs for a summer week in Cancun. From an objective and unemotionally involved perspective, I think MVC should tighten up the WLR gold and Platinum season calendars, even though it would hurt me since I would no longer be able to exchange into the premium "cheap" gold weeks. This is making me think I should book a gold week at WLR for next year before MVC wises up!

There might be some complaints from those of us who own WLR Gold if they mess with the season :(

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There might be some complaints from those of us who own WLR Gold if they mess with the season :(
I think that most gold members would love to see an increase of points for that season. I doubt it will happen thought, the resort has an average of 92% occupancy rate (and that includes condos closed for renovation) so why mess with something that works especially if there is no advantage to Vistana?

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

A Gold owner would be better off. You would be awarded more star options/DPs if MVC allowed WLR owners to join the DP program. Non-owners would be unlikely to notice. Hyatt did this in Key West and it was a positive overall. Owners were thrilled.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
A Gold owner would be better off. You would be awarded more star options/DPs if MVC allowed WLR owners to join the DP program. Non-owners would be unlikely to notice. Hyatt did this in Key West and it was a positive overall. Owners were thrilled.

I thought by tighten up you meant remove some weeks from Gold and put them into Platinum which would mean they would have to increase my options from 44K to 81K (especially if they remove the 1st week in January :)) or if they simply up the options required for the 1BR Premium (and my options) then they only level I see at other resorts is a weird 51,700. Either way I'm not sure how those that bought into Platinum and 81K options would feel?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought by tighten up you meant remove some weeks from Gold and put them into Platinum which would mean they would have to increase my options from 44K to 81K (especially if they remove the 1st week in January :)) or if they simply up the options required for the 1BR Premium (and my options) then they only level I see at other resorts is a weird 51,700. Either way I'm not sure how those that bought into Platinum and 81K options would feel?

That is what I meant. They have some prime weeks in the Gold season that do not make much sense to me there. I like it because I can use SOs to stay in a 1BR oceanfront for 44K SOs when the weather in Mexico is still good. Most Mexican timeshares consider Christmas through Easter to be high season and the rest of the year is low season.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
any calendar for any system and resort has slight imperfections where certain weeks will be perceived as having better relative value than others. Indeed many gold weeks can be great at Lagunamar. We were there late last October and the weather was fabulous. We rented from an owner, we do not own gold season and our StarOptions started just this year for us (new owners) Ok, it is considered part of the hurricane season but we had cancellation insurance just in case. Others on Tug reported they had great weather August or September. My point is that Lagunamar is truly a resort you can visit year round especially if i compare it with ski resorts in the mud season or with the summer in the desert. Of course if you depend on the school calendar you will go in the summer, 51, 52 or during the spring break. If not, almost anytime is good especially if you have cancellation insurance for the hurricane season.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is no way they can change the weeks in the season. Just not going to happen. They could possibly increase the SOs on the Gold+ weeks or increase them for the Ocean Side villas, but I am doubtful that will happen. If Marriott allows Vistana weeks to be enrolled in DC, they could allocate them any amount of points that they want and will have a completly different DC point amount needed for booking. To book with DC points it will be varied throughout the year, just like how Marriott resort point amounts don't line up with the weeks at the same resorts. With DC points, there are no seasons from a booking standpoint.