• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Out of hand kids at your Home Resort pool

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We avoid this by getting lounges that are farther away from the pool. If you try to relax poolside, you will get splashed and hear the noise of others having their fun. Reminds me of the chair hogger posts. If I wanted to hog a chair at 7AM, it sure wouldn't be right next to the pool.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today’s generations are kids raising kids raising kids, etc...no morals or manners in today’s kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter if you like it or not, kids are a normal part of society; it’s always been that way and will always be that way. Be it as it may, you are not actually entitled to a child-free life.

Somehow, just like adults, they are not all good nor are they all bad.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Don't even get me started on people who feel the need to share their music with everyone!

Reactions: Xan

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As I have said before it is those kids that will pay your SS checks. Think of that water coming your way changing into dollar bills.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We all have to admit if we are a bit older, times definitely changed on the manners of kids and adults. Even the hippies I knew back in the day had manners.
I guess it just boils down to where you’re from and how the people in that area acted. Every region has their customs and way of life, and it could be just down the road from you, whether bad or good, and then the privileged if you are allowed in their neighborhood.

I come from basic old fashioned middleclass, mix of factory workers to office owners. We had good times financially and we had hard times financially growing up. My siblings and I still have the mannerisms of our parents that everyday was a save for a rainy day, nothing went to waste. We had to work towards something we wanted to buy, even if it was pulling weeds for coins. We never got an allowance and had two feet or a bike to get us places. (Granted, in today’s world you have to watch your kids from strangers now!)

We could get in trouble and punished by our neighbors and again when we got home if we did anything wrong, back when I was growing up.

Your view on children makes me sad for you. Sure, there are some rude, ill-mannered kids out here. But there sure are a lot of adults like this too. Let me tell you some of MY observations about today's kids that are better than my generation (I'm a Gen Xer for context). Kids today are much more tolerant of "different" kinds of people -- far kinder to classmates with special needs, Downs, autism, etc. They are much more open minded and kind to those w/different sexual orientations. At the high school level, they do everything at a "higher level" than we ever did -- AP classes galore, working incredibly hard at sports , etc . Additionally, many teens volunteer to make a difference in their community (I was too self-absorbed as teen to ever do that). My daughter started working at 15, as did most of her friends. She works as a lifeguard which requires specialized training and has lives in her hands -- and takes her job VERY seriously.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only if the same splashers grow up and work instead of going on welfare.

Welfare does not exist as it used to. 24% of Americans are on some kind of assistance. 80% have jobs in the year they collect SNAP the largest of these programs. Since it includes unemployment insurance that seems to be a very small percentage of the population. Also 63% participate less than 3 yrs in all programs. I will take my chances.

sources

https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/blog/finance/welfare-statistics.html

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2015/cb15-97.html

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In a community environment, you’ll have all sorts of activity. Children have as much right to their vacation as older adults. They have as much right to have fun as others seeking solitude. It’s how a resort accommodates all guests that’s important.

Kids will be kids. Parents need to be parents. Resort management needs to manage ALL groups in such a way that everyone can be reasonably accommodated.

There needs to be boundaries and those boundaries have to be enforced, but that goes back to resort management managing the resort properly.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Kids will do what kids do. If they are a real bother I tell them to "knock it off" and they usually avoid me. This seems to work on all age groups if said with authority and a smile.

Most times we just leave and go somewhere better.

I like watching the kids chasing chickens at Pono Kai. My hope is one of these kids actually catches one while I'm watching. Maybe with a putter or mallet, lol. :D

Bill

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Kids in hot tubs is a bit ridiculous. You just want a place you can sit and visit and not have kids diving into the hot tub. :)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
What bothers me most in the pool is when the wannabee football stars think it's OK to pass a regulation football across the entire pool. Especially when most of the time they can't hit each other. Ever get beaned by an idiot who does this in the pool?

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I have said before it is those kids that will pay your SS checks. Think of that water coming your way changing into dollar bills.

If only! We can only hope.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your view on children makes me sad for you. Sure, there are some rude, ill-mannered kids out here. But there sure are a lot of adults like this too. Let me tell you some of MY observations about today's kids that are better than my generation (I'm a Gen Xer for context). Kids today are much more tolerant of "different" kinds of people -- far kinder to classmates with special needs, Downs, autism, etc. They are much more open minded and kind to those w/different sexual orientations. At the high school level, they do everything at a "higher level" than we ever did -- AP classes galore, working incredibly hard at sports , etc . Additionally, many teens volunteer to make a difference in their community (I was too self-absorbed as teen to ever do that). My daughter started working at 15, as did most of her friends. She works as a lifeguard which requires specialized training and has lives in her hands -- and takes her job VERY seriously.

I guess I had it totally different than you, then again I’m older and we had all the things you talk about your daughter has except technology. We had excellent teachers that actually cared, plus advance level classes and work and take college classes while in high school.
I was taught a great hardworking work ethic from a young age that had me in management positions within the time my shift ended. I was known to hold 3 jobs down at once (when I had the energy back then), and even drive over 100 miles one way to a job with no issues. (It helped being an extreme nite-owl!)

I wish the today’s kids had the options I had plus the technology added.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welfare does not exist as it used to. 24% of Americans are on some kind of assistance. 80% have jobs in the year they collect SNAP the largest of these programs. Since it includes unemployment insurance that seems to be a very small percentage of the population. Also 63% participate less than 3 yrs in all programs. I will take my chances.

sources

https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/blog/finance/welfare-statistics.html

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2015/cb15-97.html

We are so close to that magic day! Only a couple of years for my hubby’s planned second retirement! (He served in the Army for over 24 years...a late starter joining though, plus was in the first Gulf War. Glad he only has nightmares from that, he was one of the lucky ones!, but still has some disabilities that are service related. Extremely rare if you come out of any of service branches without a disability rating.

I’ve lived in an extremely large area of all the branches of service,?even down to NOAA and the Coast Guard, and after after seeing the blank look in a neighbor’s face after returning from a tour and had lost so many of his troops, I would not wish that job (With extremely low pay and no respect), on today’s kids. You have to be tough!

You would be surprised at how many of these service members kids are the ones running wild and loose! I thought for sure they would have some of the discipline their parents were taught, but in the real world, so many of those service members are causing big issues from robberies to murders around the areas that have the bases!

So much for yes sir, yes mam or even just common sense and respect for others around them when off duty.

I respect our women and men in uniform, without them, who knows how our world would be! (Yes, I do know most are just pawns in “game” called war, but they are the ones paying the price!)

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids will do what kids do. If they are a real bother I tell them to "knock it off" and they usually avoid me. This seems to work on all age groups if said with authority and a smile.

Most times we just leave and go somewhere better.

I like watching the kids chasing chickens at Pono Kai. My hope is one of these kids actually catches one while I'm watching. Maybe with a putter or mallet, lol. :D

Bill

I love those chickens! There are only a few compared to many years ago. (I even only saw one feral cat on this trip!)

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids in hot tubs is a bit ridiculous. You just want a place you can sit and visit and not have kids diving into the hot tub. :)

The way our tub is set up, that would be almost instant death for the kid diving! It’s just hard enough to get in and out without whacking a knee or shin if you don’t read the signs posted!

Spa/hot tubs are no place for children!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What bothers me most in the pool is when the wannabee football stars think it's OK to pass a regulation football across the entire pool. Especially when most of the time they can't hit each other. Ever get beaned by an idiot who does this in the pool?

Didn’t have the football, but got it from a 8 inch round ball splashing and landing several times next to me this past trip.

geekette

Reaction score
I think the line needs to be drawn at pool toys during prime time. Enjoy the water, leave the ball for throwing elsewhere. Swimmies or other personal floatation devices (like the blow up rings) are excluded for the very young children since they end up being safety devices.

If nothing else, posting a sign that prohibits pool toys would be something bothered patrons could point to. "Hey, can you take the football over to the meadow, please? I'm worried about getting hit in the face by the ball" With a sign posted, you have "backup" vs being a cranky whatever. Totally normal to not allow toys at prime time. A simple reminder that the pool is For Everyone could help but you can't reach the true knuckleheads that are selfish and insensitive.

The post about a kid playing with the life ring ... I would have been telling them Hands Off no matter who was around. It is NOT a toy. If I see someone going for the shepherds crook, I'm there before they get it from it's bracket. To me, that's serious stuff, And Not Toys. "Is someone drowning right now that you are attempting to save? No? Then put the EMERGENCY item back where it belongs". If I got any guff from parents, I'd ask if they let the kids remove fire extinguishers to play with, too. Same deal. I still have my deep authoritative lifeguard voice and not afraid to use it. I would honestly be mad but containing it because some people just don't get it, so would be attempting to educate.

I don't care if the kids run on the slick deck. A couple spills on hard surface with scraped parts should cure the urge.

I am against kids in the hot tub. Not sure where I would draw the age line, maybe 15. I'd post a sign there about it being for "the peaceful enjoyment of our adult guests". Peaceful enjoyment includes not being bothered by splashing or jumping in. That's not what the hot tub is for.

Really, a few signs to back up guests looking to eliminate bothersome behavior would help and is super cheap. You aren't going to end splashing and squealing because these naturally come with a pool.

My pet peeve remains GLASS at the pool. If there isn't a sign about that, there should be. Yeah, none of us are clumsy, been years since I broke a glass at home, etc etc., but crap happens and glass is a major hazard. Hopefully the units have plastic tumblers.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that was your first experience like that, you have been very lucky. I see this type of thing at more often than not. Many parents feel like they are on vacation from their kids and don't have to watch their kids. This isn't anything new. My kids are in their 20's and I can't think of a single time when they were little that I went to a pool or a park and didn't have ignored kids going haywire, trying to get attention with completely spaced out or missing parents.

I've never felt entitled to change other people's behavior. I just move on and go somewhere else. With over 7 billion people in the world, odds are in my favor that I will find people who like to kick back in the way I like to kick back.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the line needs to be drawn at pool toys during prime time. Enjoy the water, leave the ball for throwing elsewhere. Swimmies or other personal floatation devices (like the blow up rings) are excluded for the very young children since they end up being safety devices.

If nothing else, posting a sign that prohibits pool toys would be something bothered patrons could point to. "Hey, can you take the football over to the meadow, please? I'm worried about getting hit in the face by the ball" With a sign posted, you have "backup" vs being a cranky whatever. Totally normal to not allow toys at prime time. A simple reminder that the pool is For Everyone could help but you can't reach the true knuckleheads that are selfish and insensitive.

The post about a kid playing with the life ring ... I would have been telling them Hands Off no matter who was around. It is NOT a toy. If I see someone going for the shepherds crook, I'm there before they get it from it's bracket. To me, that's serious stuff, And Not Toys. "Is someone drowning right now that you are attempting to save? No? Then put the EMERGENCY item back where it belongs". If I got any guff from parents, I'd ask if they let the kids remove fire extinguishers to play with, too. Same deal. I still have my deep authoritative lifeguard voice and not afraid to use it. I would honestly be mad but containing it because some people just don't get it, so would be attempting to educate.

I don't care if the kids run on the slick deck. A couple spills on hard surface with scraped parts should cure the urge.

I am against kids in the hot tub. Not sure where I would draw the age line, maybe 15. I'd post a sign there about it being for "the peaceful enjoyment of our adult guests". Peaceful enjoyment includes not being bothered by splashing or jumping in. That's not what the hot tub is for.

Really, a few signs to back up guests looking to eliminate bothersome behavior would help and is super cheap. You aren't going to end splashing and squealing because these naturally come with a pool.

My pet peeve remains GLASS at the pool. If there isn't a sign about that, there should be. Yeah, none of us are clumsy, been years since I broke a glass at home, etc etc., but crap happens and glass is a major hazard. Hopefully the units have plastic tumblers.

All the rules you mentioned are posted, including no toys, flotation devices, etc, are included.

There are actually several signs posted in several places and at least one extremely giant sign with the rules that you cannot miss, including glass, running, diving, etc... they have it all covered, including an age for the spa with adult supervision requirements. Over the years, they even removed the Hawaiian words and kept everything in plain English.

Part of the problem at our pool is the deck around the pool isn’t large enough to spread out away from the water, unless you want to be in the shade under the cabana.

If you are in a lounge chair, you are lucky to have 1-2 feet of space from the edge of your lounger and the pool edge. That’s part of the problem. The fence needs to be moved back a few more feet and deck space added. (Of course another cost!)

The only time I did say anything to any of the kids was when the teens were diving and I politely pointed to the large sign. They were nice enough to immediately tell the rest of the kids about the no diving and pointed to the rules to those old enough to read. I kept quiet and to myself the rest of the time.

I understand kids are going to squeal with joy while having fun, I have earbuds for that, but in the 30+ years of owning at this resort, I’ve never seen the pool overran with as many kids as I did these two weeks day and night! (The Resort doesn’t have an extremely large pool size either, it’s a basic rectangle from many decades ago.)

This incident isn’t going to keep me from coming back in the future, since I love this small oceanfront Resort and it’s maintained extremely well with tons of beauty to look at.

I’m sure next time I’ll have a better experience.

Resort Management (out of state) has been notified of the incidents and will be talking to security at the Resort.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that was your first experience like that, you have been very lucky. I see this type of thing at more often than not. Many parents feel like they are on vacation from their kids and don't have to watch their kids. This isn't anything new. My kids are in their 20's and I can't think of a single time when they were little that I went to a pool or a park and didn't have ignored kids going haywire, trying to get attention with completely spaced out or missing parents.

I've never felt entitled to change other people's behavior. I just move on and go somewhere else. With over 7 billion people in the world, odds are in my favor that I will find people who like to kick back in the way I like to kick back.

I’ve seen similar behavior at other pools, but they had more space around the deck to get away from the activities.

In fact my 20 something next door neighbor girl that took care of our pets and home while we were away was complaining the other night about the exact same issues at our neighborhood pool down the street that has a lifeguard that didn’t do their job!

She was just down there to read with a headset in and couldn’t block out the noise not only from the kids, but radios playing (not allowed).

She was even a lifeguard at one point at our pool, and said the parents wouldn’t listen and didn’t care what their kids did! The company she worked for didn’t do anything about it either since it’s hard to find lifeguards around here. She quit after that season to continue with her higher education and a good job in her field.

I’ve heard all sorts of horror stories from various neighbors about the pool. (Also doesn’t help we have short hours the pools is open, so the adults can’t go in the evening to relax, the pool closes between 7pm-8pm nightly. Daily opening is anywhere from 10am-noon depending on the day. No spa tub.

We are looking forward to moving “back home” in the next few years to our own piece of land! (If we could afford it, we would be gone already! We never recovered from the crash due to the developer having a tight hold on the mandatory communication bundle!)

Townhouse condo living was nice at first, but it’s getting old watching the neighbors move every couple of years. (I live in a large military area only 12 miles from the oceanfront that I wouldn’t trust going in that water if you could get anywhere near the resort area. They don’t like the locals during the tourist season anyways!)

Needless to say I’ve only been to our pool once in the over 11 years I’ve lived here, because of the kids, and I had guests that day I went. Luckily it was a more peaceful day we chose!

Yes, “public” pools can attract some of the worst behavior from children and adults alike!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would imagine children at a timeshare resort pool; their parents are not receiving any public assistance.
We lived near Virginia Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. We always avoid going to The Beach from June 1 to the end of September. There are just to many children and adults that do not have any basic manners or home training or the respect for others. IMO.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, luckily the units have plastic tumblers. Never heard of any glass incidents!

We are also very lucky they totally drain the spa once or twice weekly for cleaning , and I’ve been there several times when the whole pool was drained and cleaned overnight, with it opened on time the next morning, but extremely cold water to start off with that first day! Spa isn’t so bad since it’s small.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would imagine children at a timeshare resort pool; their parents are not receiving any public assistance.
We lived near Virginia Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. We always avoid going to The Beach from June 1 to the end of September. There are just to many children and adults that do not have any basic manners or home training or the respect for others. IMO.

Virginia Beach doesn’t want the locals in the resort area during the peak season!

That ocean water is nasty anyways! I would never go in it!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We prefer the resorts with adult pools but there are not too many of them around. Bentley Brook and Governor Green both have one. I think Shawnee Village has a restricted time for adults only fir an hour or so. We usually go to the pool and the hot tub very early, 7 AM when they open. Seems like teens and kids are not up that early lol. It woukd be nice if resorts that don't have adult pools would have a restricted time fir adults only. We try to be patient as children need to enjoy their vacations. I don't blame the children as much as I do the parents. Some Parents tend to be more like friends to their children and not parents that supervise control their children. The same situation at school. It's the teachers fault always nit the child.
I live this everyday. And unfortunately, this is exactly on the mark.
But, back to the OP....
You're in a no win scenario because the resort will be loathe to take action because they do not want to be in the position of alienating a customer.
Write a letter to the resort - and send it via registered mail. Explain the circumstances and mention that your future patronage depends on their action. Ask for a written response - do not talk to them via phone. At least by doing this you have the basis on which you can hold management responsible going forward.
Then get on the agenda for the next annual meeting.