• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort Fees allowed by RCI or II?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I am not really using RCI that much, but just curious to find out does RCI allow resorts to charge high resort fees? It seems some of the high end resorts in RCI (Hilton, Disney, Wyndham, Diamond, etc...) all have high resort fees now, especially in Hawaii and Mexico.

On the other hand, I do not remember I've been charged any fees with Interval exchanges (mainly Starwood and Marriott). I also heard the rumor Interval and Diamond are now parted away because Interval not happy Diamond charges fees on exchangers? Is it true Interval kicked few Mexican resorts out because of this behavior?

I'm just trying to collect information here, I still love both exchange companies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare resort fees are not true resort fees like those charged by hotels. There is an occupancy tax charge that is collected by Hawaii that are passed on to those staying at Hawaii timeshare resorts. Similarly in Mexico, there are associated taxes collected on behalf of the government for folks staying there. These are not "high" resort fees.

For all inclusive timeshare resorts, anyone exchanging into them has to pay an all inclusive food and drinks fees per day/week per person. This is not new and has been in the timeshare industry ever since I started timesharing in the late 90s.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Actually, many resorts charge exchangers resort fees. For instance, the Waikoloa Hiltons charge RCI exchangers a daily $25 resort fee plus the state occupancy tax. For a 2 bdm. the total is about $270 for one week.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, many resorts charge exchangers resort fees. For instance, the Waikoloa Hiltons charge RCI exchangers a daily $25 resort fee plus the state occupancy tax. For a 2 bdm. the total is about $270 for one week.
On top of the points used and $239 booking fee why use RCI? I refuse to ever pay a resort fee when I can book a resort without one.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
On top of the points used and $239 booking fee why use RCI? I refuse to ever pay a resort fee when I can book a resort without one.

It generally pays to actually do the math and figure out the total cost of vacationing at a resort. There are some where one can book a stay without a resort fee by one method that winds up being more expensive than paying an MF, exchange fee, and resort fee. Bottom line is that knowledge is power.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
the Vidanta resorts charge fees to both the II and RCI exchangers

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It depends what you want and where you trade. When I trade into DVC I am ok paying it as it is still more cost effective for me to pay the fee then buying at DVC.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
It generally pays to actually do the math and figure out the total cost of vacationing at a resort. There are some where one can book a stay without a resort fee by one method that winds up being more expensive than paying an MF, exchange fee, and resort fee. Bottom line is that knowledge is power.
I get your point but it Just rubs me the wrong way to pay a resort fee.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends what you want and where you trade. When I trade into DVC I am ok paying it as it is still more cost effective for me to pay the fee then buying at DVC.
Resort fee On top of the points, booking fee and maintenance fees paid on the points. I think its just a money grab that the resorts have been able to get away with. In vegas they stated with a daily resort fee then they started to charge for parking. Adding almost $50 a day to the stay.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think anyone likes paying additional fees, but exchanging is still the cheapest way to stay at the top resorts, so you have to take that into consideration. My husband can be a real tight wad sometimes, and I have to remind him that he can't take it with him. YMMV

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Resort fee On top of the points, booking fee and maintenance fees paid on the points. I think its just a money grab that the resorts have been able to get away with. In vegas they stated with a daily resort fee then they started to charge for parking. Adding almost $50 a day to the stay.
Totally agree with the money grab and I stay away from most resorts that charge the extras fees but sometimes the math works and it is still a good deal.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone likes paying additional fees, but exchanging is still the cheapest way to stay at the top resorts, so you have to take that into consideration. My husband can be a real tight wad sometimes, and I have to remind him that he can't take it with him. YMMV
Your right about that.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Does anyone believe Marriott and Vistana will soon to start charge these resort fees on exchangers?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They could, but it's pure speculation at this point.