• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple iPad / Air / Air2

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is time for my periodic demonstration of my Neanderthal level of technological ignorance. Please go easy on me.

I want to pick up a Apple iPad, mostly just to have lightweight and compact computer functionality during short trips, without digging too deep into the pocket. I'm fine with "refurbished", as long as it's warrantied and not an obsolete generation model.

My iPhone SE is great, but the screen is tiny (but perfect, to me, for a phone). My laptop (not Apple) is also great but big, heavy, bulky and inconvenient for travel. I really just want (WiFi based) Internet access to web and email. I am not going to stream movies or play games, don't need or want to connect to TV's or store or retrieve any files or data on this device. I also don't care about camera quality / pixels. I am not a Apple "devotee", but I do like my iPhone and it would be convenient to have these two devices "sync". Accordingly, I am not interested in a Chromebook, Amazon Fire tablet, etc.

With the above criteria and observations in mind, specific questions from our "dunce corner" follow:

For my limited but specific objectives, what would be minimum GB recommendation for iPad?

What is the difference in simple terms between Air / Air2? Should I even care? Are later generations of the iPad perceptibly (not just invisibly) better? What generation of iPad would best suit my very specific and limited objectives?

All I really know is that a). I don't want an operating system that is already obsolete and cannot be further updated and b). I have no desire to spend money for bells and whistles I do not need or want. I also believe that a iPad "mini" is not a bigger enough screen than my iPhone SE to even bother considering.

Thoughts, recommendations and advice welcomed. Anything you can tell me on this subject is surely something that I do not yet know, so I will welcome and appreciate and take into account any and all informed input. Thanks in advance.

And now, back into my cave to finish cooking that dinosaur leg. :ponder:

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love our iPads and usually upgrade every 2-3 years. The best prices can be found on eBay and you can find used prices there as well. The latest iPad 6th generation goes for $249 and getting an older used iPad might save you $100. But I don’t think it is worth trying to save $100 when you can get the latest hardware with faster wi-fi connections and a battery that will last a long time with a new iPad. Below is a link that should help decide that. Good prices can be found at Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon too. Best Buy will price match Amazon and they also have open box for a little bit less.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xipad.TRS0&_nkw=ipad&_sacat=0

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use Amazon 10" Fire tablets for what you are describing. Our alternative is a chromebook. Both are cheapish. The Fire is about $150 and a chromebook probably $250 or less. These would be wifi internet access and not cellular. The chromebook software/operating system is continually updated, probably until the hardware becomes obsolete.

There are alternatives to Apple.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, every year small improvements are made with the iPad. Things like a faster processor is used each year, the screen is better, the wi-fi hardware is better and connect at a longer distance and provide faster speeds than an older model. When buying used, you never know how much a device has been used and how much longer the battery will last, or if the home button has been worn out or if it has been dropped. If buying from someone you know and trust and if the price is right, than maybe go for it. Otherwise, spend $250 and keep it for years until it dies. One thing for sure is that most of the big improvements have been made and changes in the future will not be much to get excited about. In the 90s, I got a new PC every year. Five years ago, I bought a PC with a i7 processor and they haven’t improved that much or enough to make me get a new one. We have reached that limit on our tablets.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
My wife loves her iPad, probably on it 6 hours a day. I don't like it because it has no physical interfaces. When we travel, I take a small laptop along so I can connect to the resort TV via HDMI and stream movies.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I'm on my 2nd one. They will eventually "die." That's the only reason I bought a refurnished one from the Apple website. Get the minimum storage. It used to be 16GB, but now I think it is 32GB. I only bought the WiFi the first time and did not regret it. So, it was basically a reorder for me.
I have the original size and love it. I'm typing on a MacBook Air now. I couldn't find an iPad Air, just the iPad and iPad Air2. I think my phone is the 7. I love that the products are integrated. If I take a picture on my phone, it shows up on my other Apple Gear. Same with Passwords, and such. I think you will be very happy with the most basic model. I am!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The Apple Store refurb section is where I buy all of my Apple products (except iPhones which until recently weren’t offered there). Same warranty as new, refurbed by Apple (not some no name place) and usually 20% or so off retail.

If you don’t do videos or store a gazillion photos, the minimum storage and WiFi only is more than adequate. OTOH, if you don’t care about integrating with your iPhone, a Fire Tablet, Chromebook is cheaper and also a good choice.

Cheers

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It is time for my periodic demonstration of my Neanderthal level technological ignorance. Please go easy on me.

I want to pick up a used Apple iPad, mostly just to have lightweight and compact computer functionality during short trips. My iPhone 5s is great, but the screen is tiny. My old laptop is great but heavy, bulky and inconvenient. I really just want (WiFi based) Internet access to web and email. Not going to stream movies, play games, etc., and don't need to store filoes or data on this device. I also don't care a whit about the camera function or quality. With these observations in mind, specific questions from our dunce corner follow:

For my limited objectives, what minimum GB would you recommend in an iPad?

What is the difference (in simplest, layman's terms) between Air and Air 2? Should I even care? Are other generations before or after as good --- or better? Would some other version / generation / flavor of iPad besides Air or Air2 be as good or better for my limited objectives?

All I really know is that I don't want an operating system already obsolete and beyond updating capability, I have no intentions of spending big bucks for this experiment and a iPad "mini" screen size is probably not enough bigger or better than that on my iPhone 5s to even bother considering a "mini".

Thoughts, recommendations and advice welcomed. Anything you can tell me on this subject is surely something that I do not know, so I will welcome and appreciate any informed input.Thanks in advance.

And now, back to the cave...
For what you need the basic model of Air will be good. Apple sells it for $329. I would not buy an older model then apple website sells.

I had purchased an ipad when they first came out and now on my third one. Apple nas a refurbished site, take a look at it. If you have an apple store near you, go visit it. You can see all the different current models and get a feel if the extras are worth spending a little more. They were for me. I also have the cellular option on my ipad in addition to the wifi as there are many times I go somewhere and wifi isn’t great but my cellular service is.

I love my ipad. I have tried other pads, never could convert as I am spoiled with my ipad.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I agree with others that it’s not necessarily worth saving a modest amount for a used iPad. Of course, there are exceptions.

You might be interested in this type of deal, tho this one recently expired:

https://slickdeals.net/f/12847441-3...st-model-gold-space-gray-237-99-free-shipping

I’d suggest signing up for an account here (it’s free) and set a monitor for iPad, and you’ll be emailed when there are posted deals. The current “iPad” (not Pro) is a great choice, and it’s affordable.

Get the most storage you can afford, and I’d suggest a minimum of 128GB, but it all depends on how you use it. You could get by with just 32.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
My wife loves her iPad, probably on it 6 hours a day. I don't like it because it has no physical interfaces. When we travel, I take a small laptop along so I can connect to the resort TV via HDMI and stream movies.

You can connect to the tv via the iPad also. All you need is a cheap HDMI adapter. They are inexpensive at either Walmart or amazon

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
While I have bought a few things over the years from the Apple refurbished store, this would not be one I would even consider. Their prices are just too high when compared to what you can pay for a brand new one.

The newest basic model comes with 32GB of storage. More than you will ever need in this lifetime probably. They go on sale by somebody almost every week for $249. But, they are every day priced at $279 at Best Buy and Walmart.

If you just want an inexpensive email and surfing one, consider one from somebody like this. Have never bought from them but if they are legit, it’s a good deal. Just do your due diligence on the company and use a credit card to protect yourself.
https://www.n1wireless.com/appler-i...MI_IfM9J_F4AIVLbCzCh360gxxEAkYDyABEgI8RfD_BwE

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks; much appreciated. I ordered a 6th generation "opened box" iPad today from a highly rated eBay seller. 9.7", 32GB, 1 year warranty, $249 (with free shipping). No cellular ability, but I don't care. Not much of a risk and it should arrive in a few days.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
You can connect to the tv via the iPad also. All you need is a cheap HDMI adapter. They are inexpensive at either Walmart or amazon

Thanks for the tip, I never knew they were out there for iPad. So many to pick from......

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Thanks for the input folks; much appreciated. I ordered a 6th generation "opened box" iPad today from a highly rated eBay seller. 9.7", 32GB, 1 year warranty, $249 (with free shipping). No cellular ability, but I don't care. Not much of a risk and it should arrive in a few days.

Thanks again. :thumbup:
Theo, you will love it. Don't be afraid to download some movie or TV content onto the iPad (although with 32 Gig you will be limited). I download a couple of movies and a few TV show episodes so I always have something to watch on my bus commute home. There is some terrific content out there on Netflix and Amazon Prime that is worth watching. Also, don't forget to get a case for it that stands up. Buy that through ebay or Amazon as there are tons of great cases much cheaper than buying from Apple. Enjoy!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun

So much for this HDMI adapter theory. I bought one on Amazon, then got this from the company's marketing manager:

"
Amazon item title: FIYAPOO Lighting to HDMI Digital AV Adapter,1080P HDTV Converter with Lighting Charging Port for iPhone iPad and iPod

Regarding this FIYAPOO Lightning HDMI, please note:
1. It is better to upgrade the firmware every year to get better function.
2.As we list in the listing page, due to copyright protection, it won’t support some paid contents including Netflix, Amazon Prime videos, Hulu, Comcast tv, Xfinity, Vudu, DIRECTV, itunes, Skygo, Movista, HBO,etc. Please refer to the terms and conditions of those apps.
3.We can use it on Youtube, Office tool like Excel,Word, PPT and others, games, chrome, FaceTime and other apps who share its copyright "

So, due to copyright protection, I can't use this thing to stream the very services I subscribe to. Good news is they refunded my purchase prices and didn't even ask me to send back the adapter.

I went back to Amazon and tried searching for a different model adapter. When you read the fine print, they ALL have something like this posted:

• 【Worry-free Purchase】 With light and small design, the Adapter is very convenient to carry and connect your iPhone/iPad at anytime to a projector. ACETEND warrant this item 12 MONTHS and 30 Days of easy returns from date of the original purchase for manufacturer defects, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Note: NetFlex / BTSports / Netflix / HBO GO / Xfinity Player / Amazon Prime / Hulu / Directv and other paid videos in App may NOT supported.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just get a portable streaming device, like a Roku or an Amazon Firestick. They work great for travel and a whole lot easier than lugging a laptop around just to watch streaming content.

Kurt

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just get a portable streaming device, like a Roku or an Amazon Firestick. They work great for travel and a whole lot easier than lugging a laptop around just to watch streaming content.

Kurt

I take a stick with me all the time. Works great everywhere in the USA. Unfortunately, the license requirements block just about everything overseas but I’m out doing things anyway so no big loss.

Cheers

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I take a stick with me all the time. Works great everywhere in the USA. Unfortunately, the license requirements block just about everything overseas but I’m out doing things anyway so no big loss.

Cheers

You get other programs overseas... or, get a VPN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our hdmi adapter for the ipads works great. We started taking these tablets on trips. Occasionally we use our phone as a hotspot to get wifi on the ipads. We get netflix in Mexico.

Bill

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I can't find anything that supports Xfinity. That is my primary video provider. I see some sticks support NetFlix, but I mainly watch Xfinity to get our local channels and recordings from our DVR.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
The newest basic model comes with 32GB of storage. More than you will ever need in this lifetime probably.

Bucky I got a good chuckle out of that. I remember a friend telling me way back when that his computer came with 10K of RAM and a 60 MEG hard drive. More than he would ever need in a lifetime he said. It was about 1985 or so.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Bucky I got a good chuckle out of that. I remember a friend telling me way back when that his computer came with 10K of RAM and a 60 MEG hard drive. More than he would ever need in a lifetime he said. It was about 1985 or so.
I remember and it was such thrill for anyone to have one. Who ever thought it would become what it has. I was programming assembly language on a mainframe at that time.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I remember visiting the IBM Sales Office in Salem Oregon in 1984. We were going 1ST class with 512K RAM. Deal fell through when they could not say how computer and monitor would run through a Converter in Germany.