• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Out of hand kids at your Home Resort pool

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I so hate this also. I look forward to the few weeks of timeshares we have and going to the pool is a biggie for me and I like to be in the water more than out.

I blame it on the parents in terms of the smaller kids. The older kids are there without parents a lot. The worst= throwing balls in the pool- playing catch (parents do this also) and that darn Marco Polo game! I mean- really? So you need a whole stretch of the pool and no one can swim in between or have to dodge that ball?

Then there is the kids in the hot tub- makes me insane altogether.

I agree! I hate that floating rope to separate the deep end, since this pool is one of the rare 8 foot deep pools around! Most are only 4 ft!

And yes, I feel kids should not be allowed in the hot tub/spa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy at a new resort. Not easy to change people.

Not going to happen after owning at this resort for over 30 years. We love the resort, and hope this is a one time event that happened for us!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My point exactly.

The Fairways changed GMs a little while ago. This craziness began after the change of GMs though. I’m going down for three weeks on June 15th. Two of those weeks will definitely be with my grandkids. I’ll report back. I can’t even escape to the adult pool because that means I have to spend my day alone.

God! I just heard myself! I sound so old and crotchety! OMG! I’m turning into my mother!:(

I rather be alone at the pool than with a bunch of kids!

I usually am going to the pool alone anyways, since my hubby rather stay in the A/C and watch the ocean!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a situation at Smugglers Notch where local camp kids are bused occasionally in to use one of the pools with the slides. Other owners have said they and their families could not use the pool due to this because it was way too crowded and noisy.

Locals can also purchase day passes. All this brings in extra revenue for the resort.

So much for the privileges of being an owner.

That I find unacceptable!
When I was a kid, the high school had the pool open in the summer for the locals. (I understand that they filled in that pool decades ago and use it as a classroom, plus it’s also now a middle school, where the high schools combined a long time ago. (So much for our sport teams rivalry!) We didn’t even have a Jr High back in my day. High school mostly started at 8th grade, but at one point it was 6th grade. Times were way different back then!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think all these complaints need to be given, in writing, to your HOA. MAYBE once the rules have been changed you can get some peaceful downtime.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Go off season. 9 months of the year, kids are in school. Go then.
Never go in between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Kids are on summer vacation then.

And if you do see wild kids, tell them to knock it off. I do it all the time and have never been challenged by their parents. It truly does take a village. Don’t do it with anger, just a direct command.
I have 4 kids and I appreciate when other adults help keep them in line.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think all these complaints need to be given, in writing, to your HOA. MAYBE once the rules have been changed you can get some peaceful downtime.

I’m working on that! Thank You

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I quietly repeat the Serenity Prayer. Then, I remind myself that boisterous children can be a source of great joy if I allow them to be.

That is fine for most people, “the great source of joy”, but I personally never had any tolerance for children and don’t have any of my own by choice. I personally can’t take the stress and already have had a few mini strokes in late 2003, and a couple months later in 2004. No issues from them thankfully, but they were stress induced. I try to keep my meditation going through my mind to keep me calm, but I also have several other medical issues that are causing great pain for me and I really wanted to relax in paradise!

Hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll have a start to some answers on my issues, some I’ve had for a few decades, others are co-existing with that. If you saw me, you would never know anything is wrong, but invisible illnesses are no fun, especially when you can’t sleep due to your arms down to your fingertips going numb, all because of twisted nerves in my back. (At least I have several PT Dry Needling sessions coming up to help relieve that! (But this is a life long issue! So is Fibromyalgia.)

I’m telling you the 3 legs of air flights from the east coast each way was no fun, even in comfort select, and I can’t take anything for pain!

All I wanted was two relaxing weeks! Is that too much to ask?

Don’t worry I’ll survive, I’ve made this far without “loosing it” in front of a child.

I was just curious on how other people deal with this type of issue at their resort, especially a small business independent one.

I appreciate everyone’s response!

Thank You!

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced this , but I am not a beach, pool or hot tub person. When my children were small, and we went to the pool I was in a lounge chair watching them, and all the kids including mine were very well behaved. I am going back years, and it's a new generation now , maybe they let their kids run amok at pools . I have, however, experienced kids at restaurants "performing", some of which were yelling :(. Again, when mine were small and acted up, we'd flag the closest server, get the check, pay the bill, asked the server to box up our order up and leave the restaurant. Things are a LOT different now.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just got back from my home Resort on Kaua’i at the Pono Kai, (this time I stayed two weeks in my Pacific Fantasy unit).

I could not, nor many other guests of older age could not enjoy their time relaxing at the pool.

The small children and teens have seemed to have overrun the pool, especially around the 4 pm on timeframe when parents wanted to clean up and get ready for dinner, they most likely sent the kids down to the pool to get them out of their hair!

The kids of all ages were ignoring all the rules of no diving, jumping, running, excessive noise, water cannons, various balls and other toys that would splash the guests just sitting around the pool relaxing.

I thought kids had to be supervised?

I just missed one loud fight between younger parents and several older guests getting splashed and their relaxing totally disrupted.

I complained to security before this incident, and I wasn’t the first to complain. I understand security kicked the kids out of the pool area, only for these kids to run wild on the property tormenting the chickens and who knows what else!

This wasn’t the only day that kids disrupted not only my stay, but other older guests trying to relax.

These were different kids that I could see from the three days in the two weeks I made it down to the pool.

My whole trip this time was to totally relax and do nothing but relax at the pool and occasionally take a drive to see what changed in the 3 years since we were at the Resort last time. Needless to say my relaxing was ruined thanks to parents that couldn’t control their kids!

What are your suggestions when something like this happens on your trip?

What do you do?

Have you ever experienced this? (This is one of the few rare pools that is still 8 feet deep/no diving board or slides.)

Any input would be appreciated beyond getting security involved, considering the resort doesn’t have anyone at the pool full time, (only an occasional walk through), and security seems to be short handed during the daytime hours.

I also found looking to see if it would be nice to enjoy the spa tub in the evening since it stays open until 10 pm nightly, and the pool and spa seemed to be packed with kids and adults every night we were at the resort. Needless to say, one of our favorite things to do in the evening was to enjoy the spa, but that never happened on this trip.

(Normally we don’t go this late in the warmer part of the spring and prefer late October or by end of March at the latest, so I don’t know if the time of the year made a difference, but I thought kids would still be in school. We only came to the Resort this late in the season to celebrate my hubby’s major birthday milestone.)

Please share your experiences and suggestions on what we should of done or should do, maybe complain to our two associations we own there and the management company we have?

We have only been home two full days and still recovering from the long cross country flight(s). (I have medical issues and hubby is back working, even though he gets to work from home, it’s still hectic for him!)

Thank You!

Is there just one pool for the entire resort? At Carlsbad Seapointe they designate one pool as the family pool and one as the "quiet" pool. Doesn't always work because everyone's idea of quiet is different, but it is something that your HOA could try if you have two pools.

Pools just aren't a quiet area most of the time. There's the noise of kids (doesn't bother me too much), the noise from other people's music (drives me bonkers), noise from folks talking or laughing (doesn't bother me at all) etc. I have to set my expectation bar to a realistic level when I get to the pool. Since it's a shared space there is always some give and take. Personally I would like it to be silent - not going to happen, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xan

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At my home resort especially at smaller resorts, I am more likely to speak up and then perhaps also report the behavior. During exchanges especially to smaller resorts, I consider myself a guest and usually only report what I would consider very dangerous behavior.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have never experienced this , but I am not a beach pool or hot tub person. When my children were small, when we went to the pool I was in a lounge chair watching them, and the kids were very well behaved. I am going back years, and it's a new generation now , maybe they let their kids run amok. I have experienced kids at restaurants "performing" :(. Again, when mine were small and acted up, we got the check, paid the bill, asked the server to box up our order up and left the restaurant. Things are a LOT different now.
One of us spent a good deal of time walking around the parking lot when the kids were little. No one went out to eat to hear my kids! A while back we went out with family members who had two youngish boys. The parents completely ignored the din that the boys were making. I couldn't understand how they didn't notice it - and other guests were definitely noticing as well. Finally my husband asked his brother if he wanted him (my husband) to take the boys outside. Lol. The look on my bil's face. He and my husband took the boys outside at that point and the rest of us finished up and took care of the bill.

Reactions: Xan

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go off season. 9 months of the year, kids are in school. Go then.
Never go in between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Kids are on summer vacation then.

And if you do see wild kids, tell them to knock it off. I do it all the time and have never been challenged by their parents. It truly does take a village. Don’t do it with anger, just a direct command.
I have 4 kids and I appreciate when other adults help keep them in line.

We usually do go off season, and still see some kids, but this was celebrating a birthday milestone for my hubby and he requested these dates if available, and they were! I wanted around Halloween.

Keep in mind that we have owned at this resort for 30+ years and decided a few years ago that we would stop trading and go only to our resort.

We can always take a couple of days and island hop if we feel the need, or take a mini vacation without a resort if the urge hits us, plus his sister lives in a big house on a lake out of state that we usually end up there for a week or two each summer, and in a few years we will be back home near her and other family members.

With my husband being retired military, we also have the option to use any recreation center/resort if they have availability around the country and Hawaii (Maui is the only island without a place, and we really don’t need Kaua`i, unless we want to stay in an oceanfront cabin near Barking Sands...would be great for the stars at night, not sure what facilities they have on site, like a pool, or bowling alley (Volcano has that, plus fully equipped cabins), but the best is Hale Koa right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village almost on Waikiki Beach (actually it’s Ft DeRussy), and it big with several pools, restaurants, great bar on the oceanfront. Very nice but no kitchen in these units.
Also, we can’t beat the price! Extremely low! Excellent location if you plan on staying in Waikiki w/o a car!

With kids, usually I give them the extremely annoyed look unless I just got drenched, (when just enjoying the sun or not planning on getting wet on that trip to the pool), then I say something.

If you read the original post, there was a major fight after I left the pool, and the patents didn’t care what their kids did...Security did though!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced this , but I am not a beach, pool or hot tub person. When my children were small, and we went to the pool I was in a lounge chair watching them, and all the kids including mine were very well behaved. I am going back years, and it's a new generation now , maybe they let their kids run amok at pools . I have, however, experienced kids at restaurants "performing", some of which were yelling :(. Again, when mine were small and acted up, we'd flag the closest server, get the check, pay the bill, asked the server to box up our order up and leave the restaurant. Things are a LOT different now.

Today’s generations are kids raising kids raising kids, etc...no morals or manners in today’s kids!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today’s generations are kids raising kids raising kids, etc...no morals or manners in today’s kids!

Old people are no picnic either. With their smoking, drinking at the pool swim up bar without taking a break for the washroom, using bathing suits a few sizes too small and more.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Today's generation of kids raising kids were raised and influenced by someone.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there just one pool for the entire resort? At Carlsbad Seapointe they designate one pool as the family pool and one as the "quiet" pool. Doesn't always work because everyone's idea of quiet is different, but it is something that your HOA could try if you have two pools.

Pools just aren't a quiet area most of the time. There's the noise of kids (doesn't bother me too much), the noise from other people's music (drives me bonkers), noise from folks talking or laughing (doesn't bother me at all) etc. I have to set my expectation bar to a realistic level when I get to the pool. Since it's a shared space there is always some give and take. Personally I would like it to be silent - not going to happen, lol.

This is a small resort that is on only 12 acres and one pool, plus it’s oceanfront.

Recently they moved the shuffleboard courts to the second tennis court that was rarely used and built in a nice grilling area with picnic tables.

If the few associations got together with money, now that some of the grills were moved, they could always expand out and add a kids pool, or reconfigure the cabana area that they hold twice weekly activities orientation under, there is room that way also, but the kids would still be extremely close either way.

I doubt another pool will ever go in, since they are doing a major multi year complete interior remodel and anything they can do to prevent noise between units/floors as much as possible with the style of original construction of the buildings. We are already paying for that with yearly increases, that they are trying to keep as low as they can and still do this major and extremely beautiful remodeling of the units! (Just wish the budget would allow for a 3/4 Bath in the loft units, since they are extremely large and private, plus put a w/d in each unit. Only one small association and whole owned units added w/d, but it’s still not bad, since the laundry room is across from each elevator in each building except K which is either studios or mini suites, plus they don’t have far to walk to the next building behind the lobby.

They added that building quite awhile ago when they built a lobby and concierge room. They were going to put a restaurant in where the units are, but since you can be a block walk to several restaurants and shops, it wasn’t a feasible plan, so they were able to sell more timeshares!

The kids were breaking every rule posted on the large sign except glass and alcohol. I don’t want to hear someone else’s music, it’s against the rules anyways, plus I do have headphones if needed.

I just didn’t appreciate getting blasted in the head with a water cannon when I was a good 50 feet from the pool under the cabana just arriving to get a chair to put my dry bag on, so I wouldn’t take up a lounger. I don’t recall seeing any small tables this time.

The music actually came on another day with a new group that just checked in. I was on my way out anyways by that point. (The one quiet day I had at the pool!)

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
At my home resort especially at smaller resorts, I am more likely to speak up and then perhaps also report the behavior. During exchanges especially to smaller resorts, I consider myself a guest and usually only report what I would consider very dangerous behavior.

Security told me just to pick up the red phone in the cabana area and give them a call.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of us spent a good deal of time walking around the parking lot when the kids were little. No one went out to eat to hear my kids! A while back we went out with family members who had two youngish boys. The parents completely ignored the din that the boys were making. I couldn't understand how they didn't notice it - and other guests were definitely noticing as well. Finally my husband asked his brother if he wanted him (my husband) to take the boys outside. Lol. The look on my bil's face. He and my husband took the boys outside at that point and the rest of us finished up and took care of the bill.

Going way back when I was an older responsible teen and would go to a restaurant ( back then some restaurants had a no smoking section), I always asked for the no children section if I saw any, and kindly asked if possible not to seat any near us. We always got a good giggle from the staff on that request!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Old people are no picnic either. With their smoking, drinking at the pool swim up bar without taking a break for the washroom, using bathing suits a few sizes too small and more.

We have a non smoking resort and no bar or food. Restaurants and bars are a short block away walk. You can take the sidewalks through town or go along the oceanfront on the walking/biking path that goes at least 8 miles and counting!

Haven’t had any issues with swimwear at the pool, but I personally would prefer to not see babies in the pool no matter what protection they have on! That’s just my personal opinion.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW -- kind of a sweeping generalization of "today's kids".

I’ve seen many well raised kids, but I also see too much of the other in today’s world!
When I was growing up, I recall only knowing one family that was divorced in my hometown. I’m sure there may have been others a distance away that I wasn’t allowed to go that far unsupervised.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today's generation of kids raising kids were raised and influenced by someone.

We all have to admit if we are a bit older, times definitely changed on the manners of kids and adults. Even the hippies I knew back in the day had manners.
I guess it just boils down to where you’re from and how the people in that area acted. Every region has their customs and way of life, and it could be just down the road from you, whether bad or good, and then the privileged if you are allowed in their neighborhood.

I come from basic old fashioned middleclass, mix of factory workers to office owners. We had good times financially and we had hard times financially growing up. My siblings and I still have the mannerisms of our parents that everyday was a save for a rainy day, nothing went to waste. We had to work towards something we wanted to buy, even if it was pulling weeds for coins. We never got an allowance and had two feet or a bike to get us places. (Granted, in today’s world you have to watch your kids from strangers now!)

We could get in trouble and punished by our neighbors and again when we got home if we did anything wrong, back when I was growing up.