• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airbnb and how they (don't) care about HOSTS

DRIless

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Dev, and I am a Trip Case Manager with Airbnb. Hope you are doing great!

First of all I would like to thank you for being an amazing host and delighting guests with memories to cherish for a lifetime!

I am contacting you today to let you know that one of your upcoming guests Denise M (INBK0YKKD4) contacted us asking for a full refund for her reservation at your beautiful listing.

Charles, your guest had to cancel the reservation due to some emergency reasons, and she got charged as per your cancellation policy. I am reaching out to you to confirm if you would like to refund your guest in full on human grounds. This will really great for your guest and it will be really appreciated.

I request you to please share, so we can do the needful to resolve this matter. Also, reach out to me in case you need any clarifications I will be glad to assist you.

Waiting to hear from you!

Regards,

How would you nicer, kinder, gentler TUGgers answer this one?

Background
  • She never advised me of any emergencies.
  • After she cancelled, she complained to me that she didn't get any refund at all and wanted me to fix it (Airbnb is in charge of money they hold it and make millions on the float)
  • Cancelled about two months out, not last minute, I'm now stuck with a 2-night reservation that has little chance of finding a home.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Just wow. I would respond: I hope Ms X is well and her emergency is resolved quickly. I am sorry for the situation however the prepayment policy is instituted for xxxxx reason.

I have had to lost money due to emergencies. I just moved on w/ thanks that no one lost life or limb.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does your rental agreement say?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How would you nicer, kinder, gentler TUGgers answer this one?

Background
  • She never advised me of any emergencies.
  • After she cancelled, she complained to me that she didn't get any refund at all and wanted me to fix it (Airbnb is in charge of money they hold it and make millions on the float)
  • Cancelled about two months out, not last minute, I'm now stuck with a 2-night reservation that has little chance of finding a home.

The way this email is written is rather strange. It has typos and does not like it was written by AirBNB. Could this be a scam and they are trying to get you to send them money?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
If they outsource and English is not their written language, it’s possible. However you can always confirm.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought. I would not answer this email. Sounds like a non-English speaker wrote this. Refund your guest “On Human Grounds”
What the heck does that mean? Refund the money on humanitarian grounds? That’s just crazy!
And “So we can do the needful to resolve this matter”
Huh? Who wrote this? “the needful!” That’s an idiotic way of phrasing a thought. It just doesn’t make sense. I’d delete the message and move on.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The way this email is written is rather strange. It has typos and does not like it was written by AirBNB. Could this be a scam and they are trying to get you to send them money?

It is written very poorly; sounds like a scam to me...

If they outsource and English is not their written language, it’s possible. However you can always confirm.

The language and grammar is exactly what I have seen from Indian offshore. I worked with them many years and recognize it instantly from just the word "needful".

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
"on human grounds" - Who talks like that?

Ok everyone, have any of you had autocorrect change what you wrote even when it did not make sense and you did not notice? How much difference is there between humane and human?

Jumping to the conclusion it is a fake or a scam right out of the gate without any checking? How inhuman. I mean inhumane.

Also how many of our businesses are outsourcing to other countries because it is cheaper? Gosh if US Citizens would just be willing to work for $1.50 per day we would not have these problems.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The language and grammar is exactly what I have seen from Indian offshore. I worked with them many years and recognize it instantly from just the word "needful".

Yes the word "needful" set me off too. And "human grounds." They should proof read their emails or hire Americans to write them for a few more dollars.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes the word "needful" set me off too. And "human grounds." They should proof read their emails or hire Americans to write them for a few more dollars.
It isn't proofreading that is needed. They would leave "needful" in there. I do agree with keeping the work onshore, but it is so much cheaper for the big tech companies to offshore tasks like this. We want cheap products/services but we aren't always willing to pay for them.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Airbnb is all about profits. They try and get the host to comp whatever they can get from them. To be honest how can you tell if the guest will even get 100% of the refund even if you give it (which you shouldn't)? Would you get back an unused airline ticket if you didn't buy insurance? Many hotels now have 2 rates no cancellation or a higher fee with the right to cancel. Last year Airbnb told me a guest cancelled a reservation 2 weeks before. Even though I had a strict cancellation where I would get 50% I thought I'd try to rent the days again at a good rate. Some of the days rented. Then the original guest showed up. The resort calls me- thank goodness my second guest was not arriving until 2 nights later. We move out original guest (her payment didn't go through was why they cancelled the reservation) and her email address on file was wrong - strike 2 so she didn't know. Then they call me to give her a deal less than she would have paid by my cancellation policy. They tell me to pity her how difficult it is to find a room etc. and say if I don't agree it will have to go to the resolution center and it could take a while for me to get paid. They also tell me they moved her out after the first night so I agree reluctantly to take LESS than my cancellation fee and she stayed there one night. But wait when I talk to my resort they tell me she stayed 2 nights not just one. WHo knows what they told her. It was her fault entirely payment didn't go through and then her email address was wrong. This shows Airbnb tries to get as much from the host as possible when something goes wrong. We only have their word they are giving it to the guest who knows?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I think I would write back that "In the event that someone else books those dates, I will gladly refund her up to the proceeds of the replacement booking".

DRIless

Reaction score
What does your rental agreement say?
Airbnb enables hosts to choose among three standardized cancellation policies (Flexible, Moderate, and Strict) that we enforce to protect both hosts and guests.

STRICT

For a full refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made within 48 hours of booking and at least 14 full days prior to listing’s local check-in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check-in.

For a 50% refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made 7 full days prior to listing’s local check in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check in, otherwise no refund. For example, if check-in is on Friday, cancel by Friday of the previous week before check in time.

If the guest cancels less than 7 days in advance or decides to leave early after check-in, the nights not spent are not refunded.

DRIless

Reaction score
Wasn't an email, it came through the Airbnb message system, through online or app login. Airbnb has call centers all over the world. It's obvious that this is an Indian call center. They gave no substantive reason. The guest is renting from a person, Airbnb is an advertising medium. There is no reason that the guest shouldn't ask me. Denise M was hoping that Airbnb would come down on her side and just take it.

It is written very poorly; sounds like a scam to me...

"on human grounds" - Who talks like that?

Exactly what I thought. I would not answer this email. Sounds like a non-English speaker wrote this. Refund your guest “On Human Grounds”
What the heck does that mean? Refund the money on humanitarian grounds? That’s just crazy!
And “So we can do the needful to resolve this matter”
Huh? Who wrote this? “the needful!” That’s an idiotic way of phrasing a thought. It just doesn’t make sense. I’d delete the message and move on.

Ok everyone, have any of you had autocorrect change what you wrote even when it did not make sense and you did not notice? How much difference is there between humane and human?

Jumping to the conclusion it is a fake or a scam right out of the gate without any checking? How inhuman. I mean inhumane.

Also how many of our businesses are outsourcing to other countries because it is cheaper? Gosh if US Citizens would just be willing to work for $1.50 per day we would not have these problems.

It isn't proofreading that is needed. They would leave "needful" in there. I do agree with keeping the work onshore, but it is so much cheaper for the big tech companies to offshore tasks like this. We want cheap products/services but we aren't always willing to pay for them.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, I get it now. It sounds like AirBnB has a service that allows guests to request refunds but it is a courtesy service. They should make this clearer in the email that this is not an official AirBnB request.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My reply would be

My cancellation policy is to protect my interests. At this point I have to follow what is written. If airbnb thinks it is important to refund this rental they are free to do so from their account.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip Case Managers are Airbnb's typical call center independents that answer so many of the customer service calls we have all encountered. Hard to understand with broken and poor language skills. Your mission at this point is to get through to Airbnb directly which, as you can read, is no easy task. I have used Airbnb in the past and fortunately have had no problems. My problems,
similar to yours, have been with Booking.com and were as frustrating. See if these pages help you out any.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5...d-id/Community-Help-EN/page/1/thread-id/59295

https://www.airbnbhell.com/bullied-by-terrible-guest-and-case-managers/

Document and keep any communications you have with anyone if you wish to continue the fight. With that in mind, try to insist that all communication be done via email or other such sources. You want to make sure that any and all questions or comments are in written form, not by way of a phone call. People seem to forget what was or wasn't said during a phone call. Also, even if they decide not to, stand by your listing and/or rental agreement's terms and dates.

Only you know how much time and effort you want to put into this. As has been said, if we're not talking a great deal of money or loss, you may just wish to move on knowing you're not the first and will not be last. Consider it just the cost of doing business.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
AirBnB doesn't have English-speaking reps to handle things like this? Is this a form letter they just fill in the blanks with information about your listing? Such a strange letter with odd language.

Human grounds? Give me a break. This reminds me of our daughter's issue with VRBO and the non-English speaking people at Yapstone, the credit card processor VRBO forces owners to use (or your listing will never see the light of day).

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
What proportion of rentals on these peer-to-peer sites run into these problems? I have done only 3 AirBnB rentals, but might do more. What sort of problem rate can I expect? (This assumes I communicate clearly, and the resorts I offer are of good quality -- I'm interested in just problems from the AirBnB/renter side of things.)

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
What proportion of rentals on these peer-to-peer sites run into these problems? I have done only 3 AirBnB rentals, but might do more. What sort of problem rate can I expect? (This assumes I communicate clearly, and the resorts I offer are of good quality -- I'm interested in just problems from the AirBnB/renter side of things.)
Who knows. It's a buyer beware marketplace. One of our neighbors is an airbnb host. I always wonder how their guests feel when they roll up to the worst house on the block - the one with weeds in front and a dirt backyard. I have seen a few reviews - as a landlord, she gets great reviews but guests have noted their disappointment in the condition of the outside areas. But it's cheap and as in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

I have used VRBO and Homeaway in the past and I am very careful to read all of the reviews and look closely at the photos, note if there are any outside photos, if there are photos of the bathrooms etc. Your surprises will be in the places that aren't in the photos. I rented a place in Kona years ago that showed an entire wall of glass doors - unfortunately they were inoperable and it was absolutely sweltering inside, lol. (This was the same rental that was dirty upon arrival and had used syringes all over the floor).

Also, I try to rent from places with a property manager so that there is someone to talk to if things go wrong. Sometimes the actual owner doesn't even live in the same state.

DRIless

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have is that they will not allow you to have a STRICT enough cancellation policy. They have several levels of cancellation.
Flexible, Moderate, Strict and there's a LongTerm that kicks in when it's 30days or more in length of stay
that the host can choose from, the host can also petition for a Strict30 and a Strict60
a LongTerm that kicks in when it's 30days or more in length of stay

Anyway, with the Strict policy the guest can cancel and get half their money back down to 14 days prior to check-in and, of course, you now have a reservation that you would not have made and you cannot cancel w/o losing your points.

Here's another story from a site called airbnbhell.com

I’ve been an airbnb host for four years with a total of 6 rooms for rent, so I’ve had hundreds of guests come and go, but I’ve never had an experience like this! Most of my rooms are rented several months in advance, and this case was no different. I had a nice couple message me a few months ago and ask to reserve my best room for a two month stay, beginning August 24th (a few days from now). I agreed, and the reservation was made without any incident… until yesterday when I received a message from the guest saying that they had a “family situation” and they would have to cancel their reservation. I immediately replied and said I was very sorry to hear that, but that I would try to find replacement guests for their long term stay right away and that I would refund them for each night that I was able to replace them with other guests (even though I have always had a STRICT cancellation policy set with Airbnb which entitles me to technically keep up to 100% of the guests money for up to one month if they cancel last minute like this). Granted I am a great host and have never actually taken a guests money or double-booked a room, but for the record I have that right when a guest cancels last minute. Well I never knew this was even possible, but somehow this guest contacted Airbnb directly and convinced them to OVERRIDE their own policy and my Strict Cancellation setting and give the guest a full 100% refund even though their move in date was only a few days away! How is that possible? What is the point of having a “Strict Cancellation Policy” with Airbnb if they can decide to override it at any time and completely screw one of their best and most loyal hosts??

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Judy, from reading about these types of problems, it seems quite a few occur when the property is an individually owned home or residence. I can't speak to that because the rentals I have are located within resorts. As noted, I've used Airbnb in the past and have never had any issues with them. Can't say that about Booking.com however, that's a story for another day.

I've always been able to communicate with my renters, albeit through Airbnb's site, regarding any questions they or I have.

As you know, with most corporations today, most prefer to use offshore businesses for customer service lines simply for the cost savings. I always hope I can avoid that path if at all possible, not only with Airbnb, but with all businesses.