• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott/Vistana overlay

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They need a W timeshare that is hip and cool and targets the younger crowd. I was just at the W Barcelona and overwhelmed by the music, lights and crowds that I checked out and moved to Hotel Arts which is a Ritz Carlton brand. There are definitely differences between brand IMO. I am a Ritz gal and not a W target. I canceled our reservation for the W Costa Rica after that.
Like the Horizon's project?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have never heard of the Horizon's project. I guess it failed quickly.

I am trying to google it and it sort of looks like it is an older version of MVC (perhaps pre-DPs) that included some of the current MVC resorts. It does not sound anything like the W brand or what I am thinking.

Can you tell us more about Horizon's as there is little online left about it?

P.S. Here's an old announcement from 2000 (20 years ago) and the commenter had the same question I have. What is the difference between MVC and Horizons?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...t-launch-horizons-marriott-vacation-club.html

From what I am gathering with the iittle info online, Horizons was unhip and uncool and targeting the low end of the market and included some resorts in Branson and Orlando. This is the exact opposite of my comment about the W.

The W brand is a luxury young Gen X / old Millenial brand that is super popular with upscale young people (and some old wannabe young people too). It targets the same market as the new Virgin Cruise line. Lots of music, color, plastic furniture, no kids, etc.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I am trying to google it and it sort of looks like it is an older version of MVC (perhaps pre-DPs) that included some of the current MVC resorts. It does not sound anything like the W brand or what I am thinking.

P.S. Here's an old announcement from 2000 (20 years ago) and the commenter had the same question I have. What is the difference between MVC and Horizons?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...t-launch-horizons-marriott-vacation-club.html
It was nothing like the W brand. Horizons was the former brand on Willow Ridge Lodge in Branson, MO and Harbour Lake in Orlando. There was even a rumored Gatlinburg, TN property that never happened. It was aimed at young families and carried a lower price point. Furnishings and overall decor was a noticeable step below the Marriott brand. Think laminate countertops vs granite. The concept was a failure. Young families didn't have the money to fork out the still tens of thousands of dollars for a timeshare. Prices were not that far below the full Marriott brand pricing, perhaps 10-15%. Marriott then decided to rename the two properties and over the years after refurbishment cycles they brought the decor up to the higher standard.

The HOA at Harbour Lake is still legally named Horizons at Orlando and when I make my MF payment, it may still show that on our CC statement.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It was nothing like the W brand. Horizons was the former brand on Willow Ridge Lodge in Branson, MO and Harbour Lake in Orlando. There was even a rumored Gatlinburg, TN property that never happened. It was aimed at young families and carried a lower price point. Furnishings and overall decor was a noticeable step below the Marriott brand. Think laminate countertops vs granite. The concept was a failure. Young families didn't have the money to fork out the still tens of thousands of dollars for a timeshare. Prices were not that far below the full Marriott brand pricing, perhaps 10-15%. Marriott then decided to rename the two properties and over the years after refurbishment cycles they brought the decor up to the higher standard.

The HOA at Harbour Lake is still legally named Horizons at Orlando and when I make my MF payment, it may still show that on our CC statement.

This exactly what I gathered from the 15-20 year old posts online.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The W brand is a what you get when you mix a high end nightclub with a high end hotel. I've stayed before, and they're nice, although I tend to find it a bit noisy. Now that I have kids I wouldn't consider a W for a family vacation.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

From what I am gathering with the iittle info online, Horizons was unhip and uncool and targeting the low end of the market and included some resorts in Branson and Orlando. This is the exact opposite of my comment about the W.

The W brand is a luxury young Gen X / old Millenial brand that is super popular with upscale young people (and some old wannabe young people too). It targets the same market as the new Virgin Cruise line. Lots of music, color, plastic furniture, no kids, etc.
As noted, it was aimed at a younger crowd, one that might not be able to afford the full enchilada. IMO they over priced it and tried to do so at second tier or over built locations. Harbour Lake and Willow Ridge are the resorts that were built. Gatlinburg was absolutely announced, I've seen the plans and layout. There was a fourth location, after some posts and talking to some older guides, I believe the 4th was Myrtle Beach but don't know if it was the same location as the current resort there. The problem with a specialty brand is just that, a smaller audience. The the Pulse might be another example if it was stand alone.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If Horizons existed today, I think it would be part of Marriott's Select brand category. I was talking about launching an upscale/luxury MVC sub-brand, perhaps that appealed to the 30-55 crowd with or without families (older Millennials and Gen Xers). MVC timeshares are currently targeting what Mariott considers to be the Premium market. Horizons was an attempt to reach the lower end of the family demographic with a less expensive MVC group of resorts. I think MVC might do well to launch an upscale/luxury group for its vacation club. Other than a few Ritz Carlton clubs and some non-competitive Explorer offerings, MVC would need a lot more upscale 1-3 BR club suites, possibly at new properties other than the current MVC resorts, to make this work. I could see them adding more luxury suite inventory as well as converting some hotel rooms at the Ritz Carlton, St Regis and the W and other of their luxury brand hotels into 1,2 and 3 BR suites to create a new Upscale/Luxury vacation club. I suspect it could re-branded outside of the current Marriott Vacation Club with its own name and own rules and sit within the Luxury line of the brands below while keeping MVC in the premium category. This might help with the legal issues against Ritz Carlton and encourage more Ritz Calrtons and other luxury fractional type residence clubs to participate since I suspect this new luxury product would have an entry level membership fee well into the 6 figures for new members. Not sure if or how they would integrate resale purchasers or existing Presidential or Chairman's Club members. Whether they would use the existing points systems or a completely new system of "currency."

I was watching the Marriott Bonvoy TV station in Scrub Island. Some of the new informercials are really great and appear to target a more hip, trendy and younger target market (ie. 30-50ish). I think I am older than the target market but I loved the ads. I loved the ads so much that I video taped them on my iPhone. However, these ads are for the hotel side, where Marriott has many upscale/luxury products already. The ads are not doing exactly what my concept is but it was getting a bit closer.

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.42.33 AM.png