• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carnival Cruise from New Orleans

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just wanted to mention, since some of you have asked, about our cruise from New Orleans to the Yucatan last week.

The Carnival Valor ship departed from New Orleans on Saturday the 25th, returning Thursday the 30th. So, four days, and five nights. The ship was very comfortable, and it was quite a nice time. We had a balcony stateroom on the 7th deck (Empress) that felt quite spacious. The ship was very full, but it was easy to find quiet space, away from the noise and crowds throughout the ship. Even the balcony of our stateroom was very quiet. My calabash "brother" from high school I've known more than fifty years, and his wife of 46 years joined us from Virginia on the ship. We four had a great time together. We had staterooms on opposite sides of the ship on the same deck, so depending on who had the best view, we'd alternate hanging out on one side of the ship or the other.

Food was surprisingly good and quite varied, drinks were expensive, but the free ice cream and "FroYo" flowed easily. Self-Service locations in several places helped ease the pain of being on a ship that was essentially having a floating Spring Break event.

We departed port on Saturday afternoon, and during the evening we made our way down the Mississippi River to the open Caribbean. We spent all day Sunday and overnight at sea, arriving at Cozumel on Monday morning. On Tuesday we spent the day pier side at Progreso, the port city closest to Merida, the old colonial capital of the Yucatan. Wednesday was another sea day, and we pulled back into New Orleans on Thursday morning. It was a simple, easy cruise, fun and relaxing, for not a lot of money. (Our balcony stateroom only cost $750 per person.) I would highly recommend it, if you want an easy getaway.

The in-port period at Cozumel provided time for us to check out Chankanaab Park, a very comfortable beach and nature preserve about a $12 cab ride from the pier. I had arranged a beach day through Shore Excursioneer (www.shoreexcursioneer.com), which included admission to the Park, and rental snorkel gear. This was less expensive than a similar excursion provided through the Carnival website. There were quite a lot of fish to be seen, and it was a lot of fun. I was able to easily teach my "sister in law" how to snorkel. She had plenty of fun in the calm, warm water. (I had purchased a GoPro-like camera from Home Depot [of all places] for $25 last Christmas, and it worked perfectly. I got some great video of the fish. Score!)

In Progreso, I had also arranged through Shore Excursioneer for a private tour to take us to explore the city of Merida. The four of us, a driver, and tour guide had a minivan all to ourselves. We drove to the city and had a great day, touring around. It was nice seeing the areas of town we had only seen on TV before. (HGTV House Hunters International often shows people house hunting in Merida.) There is a huge American and Canadian ex-pat community in Merida, and we've wondered whether the city would be interesting enough to warrant a full-on destination vacation of its own. The answer is "most definitely Yes." We will add Merida to the list of vacation destinations after we're both retired. A lovely city, and not far from the Mayan pyramid and ruins at Chichen Itza.

All in, this cruise was simple, easy, and fun. I've never been to a Spring Break experience before, (Well, there were a few Navy days and nights spent in the Philippines, but we won't talk about that... ;) ), and now I think I know what it would feel like to be on Spring Break at the beach. Was it fun? Yes. Do I want to do it again? Probably not. If I was a college-aged partier, I'd gladly go for it. I'm sure those who bought the ship's Bottomless Alcohol Package on the cruise would have easily spent the $56 per day cost.

We booked through Costco.com, and will receive a $100 Costco Cash Card perk for the experience. By paying for it through my Costco Citi Visa card, the up to 4% cash back, plus the 2% on my Costco Executive Membership, made the whole experience even more reasonable. It was a great time, and I can highly recommend it.

(But truth be told, if you aren't a Spring Break candidate, you may want to look for a similar cruise on a different cruise line. Fair is fair. :) )

Dave

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I just wanted to mention, since some of you have asked, about our cruise from New Orleans to the Yucatan last week.

The Carnival Valor ship departed from New Orleans on Saturday the 25th, returning Thursday the 30th. So, four days, and five nights. The ship was very comfortable, and it was quite a nice time. We had a balcony stateroom on the 7th deck (Empress) that felt quite spacious. The ship was very full, but it was easy to find quiet space, away from the noise and crowds throughout the ship. Even the balcony of our stateroom was very quiet. My calabash "brother" from high school I've known more than fifty years, and his wife of 46 years joined us from Virginia on the ship. We four had a great time together. We had staterooms on opposite sides of the ship on the same deck, so depending on who had the best view, we'd alternate hanging out on one side of the ship or the other.

Food was surprisingly good and quite varied, drinks were expensive, but the free ice cream and "FroYo" flowed easily. Self-Service locations in several places helped ease the pain of being on a ship that was essentially having a floating Spring Break event.

We departed port on Saturday afternoon, and during the evening we made our way down the Mississippi River to the open Caribbean. We spent all day Sunday and overnight at sea, arriving at Cozumel on Monday morning. On Tuesday we spent the day pier side at Progreso, the port city closest to Merida, the old colonial capital of the Yucatan. Wednesday was another sea day, and we pulled back into New Orleans on Thursday morning. It was a simple, easy cruise, fun and relaxing, for not a lot of money. (Our balcony stateroom only cost $750 per person.) I would highly recommend it, if you want an easy getaway.

The in-port period at Cozumel provided time for us to check out Chankanaab Park, a very comfortable beach and nature preserve about a $12 cab ride from the pier. I had arranged a beach day through Shore Excursioneer (www.shoreexcursioneer.com), which included admission to the Park, and rental snorkel gear. This was less expensive than a similar excursion provided through the Carnival website. There were quite a lot of fish to be seen, and it was a lot of fun. I was able to easily teach my "sister in law" how to snorkel. She had plenty of fun in the calm, warm water. (I had purchased a GoPro-like camera from Home Depot [of all places] for $25 last Christmas, and it worked perfectly. I got some great video of the fish. Score!)

In Progreso, I had also arranged through Shore Excursioneer for a private tour to take us to explore the city of Merida. The four of us, a driver, and tour guide had a minivan all to ourselves. We drove to the city and had a great day, touring around. It was nice seeing the areas of town we had only seen on TV before. (HGTV House Hunters International often shows people house hunting in Merida.) There is a huge American and Canadian ex-pat community in Merida, and we've wondered whether the city would be interesting enough to warrant a full-on destination vacation of its own. The answer is "most definitely Yes." We will add Merida to the list of vacation destinations after we're both retired. A lovely city, and not far from the Mayan pyramid and ruins at Chichen Itza.

All in, this cruise was simple, easy, and fun. I've never been to a Spring Break experience before, (Well, there were a few Navy days and nights spent in the Philippines, but we won't talk about that... ;) ), and now I think I know what it would feel like to be on Spring Break at the beach. Was it fun? Yes. Do I want to do it again? Probably not. If I was a college-aged partier, I'd gladly go for it. I'm sure those who bought the ship's Bottomless Alcohol Package on the cruise would have easily spent the $56 per day cost.

We booked through Costco.com, and will receive a $100 Costco Cash Card perk for the experience. By paying for it through my Costco Citi Visa card, the up to 4% cash back, plus the 2% on my Costco Executive Membership, made the whole experience even more reasonable. It was a great time, and I can highly recommend it.

(But truth be told, if you aren't a Spring Break candidate, you may want to look for a similar cruise on a different cruise line. Fair is fair. :) )

Dave
Hi Dave,
Glad you had a great cruise with your friend from high school days. Thanks for the trip update too.

Best Regards.

Richard

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Sounds like you had a great time. Time with olds friends is time well spent.

I have seen shows about Merida and it does looks great. It is often on lists of places to retire to.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Both our DS's and their wives were booked on that cruise in August 2013 but that was the year of the big Calgary flood and oldest DS had to work out there through the whole summer and fall. Our younger DS & DiL ended up going on their own and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Neither of them had cruised before and they thought a short cruise was the best way to start. (They got hooked and have been on 3 more cruises since!) Our DS loved watching the shoreline pass by from the time they left New Orleans until well past dark. He didn't realize that the port of NO was so far up the Mississippi.

Merida is a very popular place for folks to retire. We know 2 American couples who started wintering in Belize many years ago and then moved to the outskirts of Merida. We heard one of the couples have made the move permanent. They said many Mexicans have vacation homes in and around Progresso that they use all summer and rent them out long term (3-6 mos) quite inexpensively over the winter.

Isn't that pier at Progresso something? I've never seen such a long one!

~Diane

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The pier at Progreso is something like a mile long. I think it’s the longest in the world? Definitely impressive!

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveNW, you sound like a Millennial. Spring Break was in my day and still is party time.
I am so happy you enjoyed your cruise with your high school classmate.
But, I more happy you enjoy cruising with Carnival using Costco Travel Services and their many benefits packages.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, Dave- All's well that ends well. Glad ou are enjoying this long outing. Soon you'll be back to the grind one more time before retirement- then you can do this FULL TIME like the rest of us! Woo-Hoo!

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, all. Yes, I'm back at the grindstone this week. Funny, I was on vacation for two weeks, but my job wasn't. I came back to about 100 important work emails that needed answering, and a few hundred more junk messages that went into the Trash. We're on the verge of a big software upgrade at my hospital, and I'm right in the thick of that. My work life carried right on without me.

My next official vacation will be a driving trip to Yellowstone in September, when we're taking my California sister-in-law there for her first time. She's always wanted to go, and has never had an opportunity. It'll be a lot of fun - she's easy to travel with. We like Yellowstone a lot, and I've never seen it at that time of year.

And for those of you who like to count things, by the calendar I have 205 days remaining until I officially retire. Jim, my friend, you know the feelings I'm having. I can't wait! :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad you survived a Carnival Cruise.

It really wasn't bad, but there were times I wondered. I don't think I needed to see a "Hairy Chest Contest," conducted by the Cruise Director at the swimming pool. He kept saying, "The hairier the guy's back, the better his chance of winning! Now, who's got a really, really hairy back?"

Between that and the women who wore much, MUCH more revealing swimwear than they should have, it was an experience, for sure. They obviously don't own a full length mirror. Some of those string bikini's were straining their last thread to hold back the laws of gravity, if you get my drift. ;)

Um... Yeah, no. I could've done without most of that sort of thing. You can't un-see that. And I've never seen so many drunks packed into a hot tub before. It looked like a pot of human soup. LOL! :D

But the weather and ocean views were excellent. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One Carnival cruise (Mexican Riviera from San Diego and back) was enough to swear off Carnival FOREVER!

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yep... I remember reading about dumping junk into the ocean.
The original fines were actually a result of violations made by their Princess line, not the Carnival ships.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveNW, your countdown is under 200 days. Are you off on major holidays liked the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas etc.,

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DaveNW, your countdown is under 200 days. Are you off on major holidays liked the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas etc.,

This count is calendar days. If I take out weekends and holidays, the workday total is much lower. :)

I have an app on my phone that does the hard work for me.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveNW, sounds liked you have mapped out a plan for your retirement date. Good luck.