• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Out of hand kids at your Home Resort pool

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from my home Resort on Kaua’i at the Pono Kai, (this time I stayed two weeks in my Pacific Fantasy unit).

I could not, nor many other guests of older age could not enjoy their time relaxing at the pool.

The small children and teens have seemed to have overrun the pool, especially around the 4 pm on timeframe when parents wanted to clean up and get ready for dinner, they most likely sent the kids down to the pool to get them out of their hair!

The kids of all ages were ignoring all the rules of no diving, jumping, running, excessive noise, water cannons, various balls and other toys that would splash the guests just sitting around the pool relaxing.

I thought kids had to be supervised?

I just missed one loud fight between younger parents and several older guests getting splashed and their relaxing totally disrupted.

I complained to security before this incident, and I wasn’t the first to complain. I understand security kicked the kids out of the pool area, only for these kids to run wild on the property tormenting the chickens and who knows what else!

This wasn’t the only day that kids disrupted not only my stay, but other older guests trying to relax.

These were different kids that I could see from the three days in the two weeks I made it down to the pool.

My whole trip this time was to totally relax and do nothing but relax at the pool and occasionally take a drive to see what changed in the 3 years since we were at the Resort last time. Needless to say my relaxing was ruined thanks to parents that couldn’t control their kids!

What are your suggestions when something like this happens on your trip?

What do you do?

Have you ever experienced this? (This is one of the few rare pools that is still 8 feet deep/no diving board or slides.)

Any input would be appreciated beyond getting security involved, considering the resort doesn’t have anyone at the pool full time, (only an occasional walk through), and security seems to be short handed during the daytime hours.

I also found looking to see if it would be nice to enjoy the spa tub in the evening since it stays open until 10 pm nightly, and the pool and spa seemed to be packed with kids and adults every night we were at the resort. Needless to say, one of our favorite things to do in the evening was to enjoy the spa, but that never happened on this trip.

(Normally we don’t go this late in the warmer part of the spring and prefer late October or by end of March at the latest, so I don’t know if the time of the year made a difference, but I thought kids would still be in school. We only came to the Resort this late in the season to celebrate my hubby’s major birthday milestone.)

Please share your experiences and suggestions on what we should of done or should do, maybe complain to our two associations we own there and the management company we have?

We have only been home two full days and still recovering from the long cross country flight(s). (I have medical issues and hubby is back working, even though he gets to work from home, it’s still hectic for him!)

Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We experienced some wild behavior from kids at the Sands of Kahana pool, while we were eating lunch at the restaurant. There were five of us in March, plus our granddaughter (2 years old), and the craziness by the kids was definitely getting out of hand. Parents weren't saying anything to the kids, while our food and beverages were being splashed constantly at our table. We finally told the server we had to move. I wouldn't sit in those tables again. It hurts the restaurant.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
We prefer the resorts with adult pools but there are not too many of them around. Bentley Brook and Governor Green both have one. I think Shawnee Village has a restricted time for adults only fir an hour or so. We usually go to the pool and the hot tub very early, 7 AM when they open. Seems like teens and kids are not up that early lol. It woukd be nice if resorts that don't have adult pools would have a restricted time fir adults only. We try to be patient as children need to enjoy their vacations. I don't blame the children as much as I do the parents. Some Parents tend to be more like friends to their children and not parents that supervise control their children. The same situation at school. It's the teachers fault always nit the child.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Kids tend to be loud and boisterous in pools, even when they are behaving appropriately. When we want quite time, we go to a quiet beach instead.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
74FDEAAA-7DAA-4FB2-B368-F6DE2591AD3A.jpeg B5309FD0-A3DA-49EA-A057-9CFEB0D25E12.jpeg We have had a problem for past two years at timeshare where we own a fixed week in a fixed unit, the person next door has a garage and driveway, but chooses to park behind our driveway so we have trouble backing out of our steep driveway. What do we do, I don’t care to confront him, but don’t know if management would get involved.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Why is this in the bargain deals forum?

Tater on my Note8 tapatalk

[moved DeniseM]

Last edited by a moderator:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I love when they have adult and family only areas. Mom of 5 littles and we spend our time at the family only pools. I know ppl want peace and quiet so I remind my crew of the rules.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago Wyndham decided to do away with adult time for the first 2 hours and last 2 hours in the pools and hot tubs at all Worldmark Resorts. They were afraid of getting sued. I assume they did the same for all Wyndham Resorts. They based their decision on a Case out of California that I believe was not applicable due to the fact situation of that case. Since then I have stayed at several non WMTC and non Wyndham Resorts that had adult only time.

geekette

Reaction score
View attachment 12215 View attachment 12216 We have had a problem for past two years at timeshare where we own a fixed week in a fixed unit, the person next door has a garage and driveway, but chooses to park behind our driveway so we have trouble backing out of our steep driveway. What do we do, I don’t care to confront him, but don’t know if management would get involved.
put barriers there so they can't park there. or just say, hey, you are blocking me in, can you please move your car?

I think it is worth getting management involved since your peaceful enjoyment is being unnecessarily harmed.

geekette

Reaction score
Just got back from my home Resort on Kaua’i at the Pono Kai, (this time I stayed two weeks in my Pacific Fantasy unit).

I could not, nor many other guests of older age could not enjoy their time relaxing at the pool.

The small children and teens have seemed to have overrun the pool, especially around the 4 pm on timeframe when parents wanted to clean up and get ready for dinner, they most likely sent the kids down to the pool to get them out of their hair!

The kids of all ages were ignoring all the rules of no diving, jumping, running, excessive noise, water cannons, various balls and other toys that would splash the guests just sitting around the pool relaxing.

I thought kids had to be supervised?

I just missed one loud fight between younger parents and several older guests getting splashed and their relaxing totally disrupted.

I complained to security before this incident, and I wasn’t the first to complain. I understand security kicked the kids out of the pool area, only for these kids to run wild on the property tormenting the chickens and who knows what else!

This wasn’t the only day that kids disrupted not only my stay, but other older guests trying to relax.

These were different kids that I could see from the three days in the two weeks I made it down to the pool.

My whole trip this time was to totally relax and do nothing but relax at the pool and occasionally take a drive to see what changed in the 3 years since we were at the Resort last time. Needless to say my relaxing was ruined thanks to parents that couldn’t control their kids!

What are your suggestions when something like this happens on your trip?

What do you do?

Have you ever experienced this? (This is one of the few rare pools that is still 8 feet deep/no diving board or slides.)

Any input would be appreciated beyond getting security involved, considering the resort doesn’t have anyone at the pool full time, (only an occasional walk through), and security seems to be short handed during the daytime hours.

I also found looking to see if it would be nice to enjoy the spa tub in the evening since it stays open until 10 pm nightly, and the pool and spa seemed to be packed with kids and adults every night we were at the resort. Needless to say, one of our favorite things to do in the evening was to enjoy the spa, but that never happened on this trip.

(Normally we don’t go this late in the warmer part of the spring and prefer late October or by end of March at the latest, so I don’t know if the time of the year made a difference, but I thought kids would still be in school. We only came to the Resort this late in the season to celebrate my hubby’s major birthday milestone.)

Please share your experiences and suggestions on what we should of done or should do, maybe complain to our two associations we own there and the management company we have?

We have only been home two full days and still recovering from the long cross country flight(s). (I have medical issues and hubby is back working, even though he gets to work from home, it’s still hectic for him!)

Thank You!

I am not normally keen on policing kids of others, but please do step in if a kid is in danger. Otherwise, it's not your pool, you kind of have to get management involved. You could politely ask kid or parent to obey rules but note that could backfire on you. You're not ever going to be able to decrease crowds, tho. Popular features attract people.

Relaxing by the pool sounds great, but sound carries on water, water does not stay in pool. I would suggest setting up farther from pool than your normal and ear buds. This is stuff you can't control, you can only control your actions, so try to set yourself up for success. Kids do not notice others when they are playing, they aren't going to care about your peaceful enjoyment.

I'm sorry your stay was disturbed.

Reactions: Xan

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disciplining other people's children is a touchy, tricky, awkward thing. It’s a lot harder now than it used to be because the "village" isn’t there.

I would never correct another child if the parent is standing right there. Get the parent's attention and let them do what they do. The idea of strangers disciplining your kid isn’t something any parent wants. Even done politely, a stranger stepping in, especially in a parents presence, can be taken as an implicit criticism of their parenting. Criticizing other’s parenting skills can be a minefield. Parents have a right to discipline, or not discipline, their children as they see fit and imposing your own discipline on that relationship does no good for anyone involved.

Yes, some parents are lousy and are raising lousy kids, but admonishments from strangers aren’t going to make them any less lousy. You are not teaching any lessons by stepping out of bounds and undermining whatever parental authority (however little) these kids know. Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them.

Take the issue to management and let them deal with it.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Several years ago Wyndham decided to do away with adult time for the first 2 hours and last 2 hours in the pools and hot tubs at all Worldmark Resorts. They were afraid of getting sued. I assume they did the same for all Wyndham Resorts. They based their decision on a Case out of California that I believe was not applicable due to the fact situation of that case. Since then I have stayed at several non WMTC and non Wyndham Resorts that had adult only time.
We stayed at Wyndham in Vegas and they had 2 separate pool areas. It was great because all families were in the family pool while adults could be w/ adults.
Similarly in San Diego except it was labeled “Quiet Pool”.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I so hate this also. I look forward to the few weeks of timeshares we have and going to the pool is a biggie for me and I like to be in the water more than out.

I blame it on the parents in terms of the smaller kids. The older kids are there without parents a lot. The worst= throwing balls in the pool- playing catch (parents do this also) and that darn Marco Polo game! I mean- really? So you need a whole stretch of the pool and no one can swim in between or have to dodge that ball?

Then there is the kids in the hot tub- makes me insane altogether.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy at a new resort. Not easy to change people.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dread when I travel with my grandkids because then I am relegated to using the family pools. You know those pools don’t you....where the kids cannonball on top of you? Those pools! I hate them. There’s never a life guard and the pools are too small for the numbers of people in them. Last year, while spending several weeks at MFV in NJ, the kids took the life preserver off it’s stand and we’re playing with it. We complained to management. Turns out those kids belonged to an employee who was spending his off hours at the resort’s pool with his very unmanageable and unsupervised kids.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I dread when I travel with my grandkids because then I am relegated to using the family pools. You know those pools don’t you....where the kids cannonball on top of you? Those pools! I hate them. There’s never a life guard and the pools are too small for the numbers of people in them. Last year, while spending several weeks at MFV in NJ, the kids took the life preserver off it’s stand and we’re playing with it. We complained to management. Turns out those kids belonged to an employee who was spending his off hours at the resort’s pool with his very unmanageable and unsupervised kids.

If the employee was not a Member with privileges what were he and his kids doing at the Pool?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the employee was not a Member with privileges what were he and his kids doing at the Pool?
My point exactly.

The Fairways changed GMs a little while ago. This craziness began after the change of GMs though. I’m going down for three weeks on June 15th. Two of those weeks will definitely be with my grandkids. I’ll report back. I can’t even escape to the adult pool because that means I have to spend my day alone.

God! I just heard myself! I sound so old and crotchety! OMG! I’m turning into my mother!:(

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have a situation at Smugglers Notch where local camp kids are bused occasionally in to use one of the pools with the slides. Other owners have said they and their families could not use the pool due to this because it was way too crowded and noisy.

Locals can also purchase day passes. All this brings in extra revenue for the resort.

So much for the privileges of being an owner.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That is why going off season is nice. I love being the only one in the outdoor heated pool in the middle of October in the Northeast!

In summer I try to get to the pool as soon as it opens so as to have some quiet swimming time.

Alternately, will hit a lake early in the morning as well.

Reactions: Xan

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not normally keen on policing kids of others, but please do step in if a kid is in danger. Otherwise, it's not your pool, you kind of have to get management involved. You could politely ask kid or parent to obey rules but note that could backfire on you. You're not ever going to be able to decrease crowds, tho. Popular features attract people.

Relaxing by the pool sounds great, but sound carries on water, water does not stay in pool. I would suggest setting up farther from pool than your normal and ear buds. This is stuff you can't control, you can only control your actions, so try to set yourself up for success. Kids do not notice others when they are playing, they aren't going to care about your peaceful enjoyment.

I'm sorry your stay was disturbed.

I was about 50+ feet from the pool when I arrived under the cabana area and immediately got hit in the head with a blast of water from a 5 yr old and his water cannon! Needless to say I was not pleased.

Security told me it is up to the owners of the units at the resort to help “police” the pool since they are short on security to have someone full time.

When I was at the deep end away from the small children, the teens were diving and I did politely let them know (pointing to the large rules sign) that diving wasn’t allowed. They were nice enough to read it and tell the rest of the group. I’m just wondering where the parents were for the 3 & 5 yr old kids with the water cannons? Unless the teens were their supervision.

It didn’t take long for some of the other in between age kids to start with the cannonball jumps into the pool!

It was a very large group of kids that appeared to be unsupervised and out of control. I was not the first to complain, it was almost to the point of “take a number”, we will get to you soon at the front desk. I only decided to complain since security was already there and others were complaining as I was passing through!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disciplining other people's children is a touchy, tricky, awkward thing. It’s a lot harder now than it used to be because the "village" isn’t there.

I would never correct another child if the parent is standing right there. Get the parent's attention and let them do what they do. The idea of strangers disciplining your kid isn’t something any parent wants. Even done politely, a stranger stepping in, especially in a parents presence, can be taken as an implicit criticism of their parenting. Criticizing other’s parenting skills can be a minefield. Parents have a right to discipline, or not discipline, their children as they see fit and imposing your own discipline on that relationship does no good for anyone involved.

Yes, some parents are lousy and are raising lousy kids, but admonishments from strangers aren’t going to make them any less lousy. You are not teaching any lessons by stepping out of bounds and undermining whatever parental authority (however little) these kids know. Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them.

Take the issue to management and let them deal with it.

Beyond me telling the teens politely about the rules and no diving, I didn’t say anything else to them.

The major fight between some older guests and younger parents took place long after I was gone, but I could see part of the beginning as I was headed back up to my unit. I heard from another much older gentleman a few days later when it was quiet, that particular fight got really out of hand and the parent spent most of his time on his phone instead of paying attention to his kids.

I guess some other guests kept getting splashed by out of control kids, and that’s when the big fight went on according to this older gentleman. He said he was down at the pool the whole time and saw it all!

I was lucky to have a little bit of quiet time to relax in the sun and enjoy the pool, but by the time I was drying off, a new family came in with the kids multiplying and eventually they had their music going. I even heard one adult ask someone where to get the pool towels. They tell you that at check-in.
I think security showed up for this new group of people to explain the rules!

Glad I was able to get some time in before it got crazy! One peaceful day at the pool!

I’ve been an owner at this resort for over 30+ years and never seen it this bad! I hope it’s not the trend, since we decided a couple years ago that this was going to be the only resort we will be going to, out trading days are long over. Maybe an occasional day or two at a Military Recreation Center like the Hale Koa on Waikiki Beach area or the cabins on the volcano on the Big Island. (At least when we were in Key West in April for a friend’s wedding, the resort had an adult only pool! I think the Hale Koa does also, it’s been a while since we stayed there!)

Hopefully security will get better at the pool, but it will be a few years before we will be able to get back due to my health issues and a save for a major out of state move in the future, so I will continue renting when I can’t use my three weeks. (We will also pick a better time of year to go back!)

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Wyndham in Vegas and they had 2 separate pool areas. It was great because all families were in the family pool while adults could be w/ adults.
Similarly in San Diego except it was labeled “Quiet Pool”.

That would be nice. Now that my Resort recently moved several grills to a nice built in area, maybe they could expand that empty area to become a kids pool area! I really don’t want to pay for that additional cost to put it in, especially since they are in a current multi year remodeling of the units, and we are paying for that currently, but the thought of a separate pool for the kids would be nice!
If they haven’t done it in the 30+ years I’ve owned, I doubt it will happen, but I have seen a lot of improvements over those years!