• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrade paths for Presidential units

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Does anyone have experience with the auto upgrades and presidential units?

I am interested specifically in Bonnet Creek (but curious about other resorts, too). Will a presidential upgrade to a deluxe unit? Example: Will a 2 bedroom presidential upgrade to a 3 bedroom deluxe (or only to a 3 or 4 bedroom presidential).

I have opted out of upgrades in the past because I didn't want to chance upgrading from presidential to deluxe.

I am not talking about at the time of booking. I have seen the option to upgrade from a 2 br pres to a 3 br deluxe when booking, but could choose not to do so. I am concerned about the automatic stuff doing something I don't want.

Thanks!

Jimag

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a two bedroom presidential unit at Bonnet Creek last year and checked the upgrade box when I made the reservation. I received an upgrade to a three bedroom deluxe. I didn't need the extra space and preferred having the smaller presidential unit. When I arrived I was thankful management was able to accommodate my request to reassign the booking to a two bedroom presidential. As a result of that experience I no longer request an upgrade unless I'm certain I won't be upgraded into a larger but less desirable unit.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I booked a two bedroom presidential unit at Bonnet Creek last year and checked the upgrade box when I made the reservation. I received an upgrade to a three bedroom deluxe. I didn't need the extra space and preferred having the smaller presidential unit. When I arrived I was thankful management was able to accommodate my request to reassign the booking to a two bedroom presidential. As a result of that experience I no longer request an upgrade unless I'm certain I won't be upgraded into a larger but less desirable unit.
That is exactly what I was afraid of and needed to know. Thanks so much for posting.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought there was a choice between bigger unit or better view/unit type?

In any case, Wyndham really should add a set of check boxes for acceptable upgrades so one can be sure of the desired outcomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mary W

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is frustrating that the specific upgrade paths for each resort are not clearly stated anywhere! Recently I was making a reservation for my son at Bali Hai Villas in Kauai. A one bedroom deluxe would upgrade to a two bedroom deluxe, but not to a two bedroom presidential. However, a two bedroom presidential unit lower level would upgrade to a two bedroom presidential upper level. I thought under the new rules that you could only upgrade if the number of bedrooms was greater. But the system saw the upgrade to an upper level unit as an upgrade because of the view. Has any seen anything in writing from Wyndham that clarifies the upgrade rules?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
This is what I see on our account but we are presidential reserve owners so it may be different for us.

Choose one of the options below and we’ll update your reservation if an upgrade becomes available.

Please note that your upgraded unit may not have all of the same features as your original unit. (For example, if you choose to upgrade to a larger unit, your view and / or unit type may change.)

Please request a VIP upgrade opt-in (choose one):

I WANT MY RESERVATION UPGRADED IF THE FOLLOWING BECOMES AVAILABLE.

• Next desirable Presidential Reserve Suite
  • Larger Unit
  • Any Of The Above
SKIP UPGRADE

• I do not want my reservation upgraded

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
This is what I see on our account but we are presidential reserve owners so it may be different for us.

Choose one of the options below and we’ll update your reservation if an upgrade becomes available.

Please note that your upgraded unit may not have all of the same features as your original unit. (For example, if you choose to upgrade to a larger unit, your view and / or unit type may change.)

Please request a VIP upgrade opt-in (choose one):

I WANT MY RESERVATION UPGRADED IF THE FOLLOWING BECOMES AVAILABLE.

• Next desirable Presidential Reserve Suite
  • Larger Unit
  • Any Of The Above
SKIP UPGRADE

• I do not want my reservation upgraded

IIRC that first option only appears if you are PR - it’s a perk of having PR ownership that allows you to preserve your PR reservation status during the auto-upgrade process.

This issue would easily be accommodated and resolved for the vast majority of owners if they allowed for the following options when asking about auto upgrades:

Upgrade options:

Category upgrade (example deluxe to Presidential)
Larger room (example 1 bedroom to 2 bedroom)
Either/both (either or both options)

Preserve your category during upgrades?

Yes/no

Anyone who cruises is very familiar with categories. It means upgrade the room quality/space to a higher category - such as a higher deck - while preserving the number of bedrooms/accommodations. Allowing us to preserve our category during upgrades with a simple Yes/No option would resolve this problem for everyone.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I am VIP Platinum.

For me, it depends on the resort:

Bonnet Creek only offers:
  • I would like to upgrade this reservation if one becomes available.
Ocean Boulevard on the other hand:
  • Larger Unit
  • Unit with a Better View
  • Any Of The Above
I don't recall seeing one that addresses presidential (like you have @Jan)

Accessible rooms now carry verbiage: I only want the upgrade if the unit has the same accessible features as my current unit. It think this is an enhancement (could be wrong). And it doesn't work the other way. I can't select an upgrade and say I would take an upgrade into an accessible unit if one came available. Accessible units have always been flakey at best.

And there is not good documentation I am aware of. I'm not so sure Wyndham understands (or cares too much) how they work. As long as they can say they are available and you can opt-in, etc. Certainly they've heard the complaints (it was brought up at the owners meeting).

It was poorly implemented and I don't hold out much hope it will change. These things concern me. They don't have current functionality working properly, over 2 years now since Voyager was deployed. But now enhancements for Privileges are in the works. I don't see things getting any better. That program seems to have more options, and history does not bode well for the IT department when it comes to complicated logic of any sort.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am VIP Platinum.

For me, it depends on the resort:

Bonnet Creek only offers:
  • I would like to upgrade this reservation if one becomes available.
Ocean Boulevard on the other hand:
  • Larger Unit
  • Unit with a Better View
  • Any Of The Above
I don't recall seeing one that addresses presidential (like you have @Jan)

Accessible rooms now carry verbiage: I only want the upgrade if the unit has the same accessible features as my current unit. It think this is an enhancement (could be wrong). And it doesn't work the other way. I can't select an upgrade and say I would take an upgrade into an accessible unit if one came available. Accessible units have always been flakey at best.

And there is not good documentation I am aware of. I'm not so sure Wyndham understands (or cares too much) how they work. As long as they can say they are available and you can opt-in, etc. Certainly they've heard the complaints (it was brought up at the owners meeting).

It was poorly implemented and I don't hold out much hope it will change. These things concern me. They don't have current functionality working properly, over 2 years now since Voyager was deployed. But now enhancements for Privileges are in the works. I don't see things getting any better. That program seems to have more options, and history does not bode well for the IT department when it comes to complicated logic of any sort.

So it appears the logic is resort-dependent. I believe BC, for instance, has no “view” category in the points chart. So Wyndham does show that they can accommodate differing scenarios, so a checklist of which upgrades are acceptable and which are not should be overly complicated to implement.