• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG / Vidanta terminology

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
Newbie questions...……...
Am I correct that the terms; Maintenance Fee (MF), Reservation Fee (RF) and Usage Fee are different words in this forum that refer to the exact same thing?

Am I correct that the terms; Renovation Fee, Extension Fee and Renewal Fee are the same thing? And a Resort Fee is something different that only non-members and folks using their SFX privilege week must pay?

Is a registered week, a residence week, a Vidanta week and a vacation fare week all the same thing?

I've seen a reference to owners updates or owners meetings and they sound like some sort of group presentation of Vidanta's future plans. So is that different from the sales meetings where they just try to sell you an upgrade?

When I was in RM this past February there was a $20 per day fee for "Derecho de Saneami". The internet couldn't translate this. What is this?

It seems to be general knowledge in this forum that members that have paid the most get preference for better room locations. Is this policy actually acknowledged by Vidanta? So does that mean that if two members both bought rights to a GB unit, the person that paid more gets preference?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My (very rusimentary) spanish thinks derecho de saneami means "right of sanitation." Or a payment for water/sewer. Was it $20 mxp? If so, I'm pretty sure that's a tax.

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
My (very rusimentary) spanish thinks derecho de saneami means "right of sanitation." Or a payment for water/sewer. Was it $20 mxp? If so, I'm pretty sure that's a tax.
Yea. Only 20 pesos. Room tax was 48.09 pesos/day

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Am I correct that the terms; Maintenance Fee (MF), Reservation Fee (RF) and Usage Fee are different words in this forum that refer to the exact same thing?

My usage of the terms would be as follows:

MF = maintenance fee that you pay to the management company that manages/maintains a TS that you owe a deed week at. This would also include points type resorts where you own an undivided interest (UDI) in the resort.

Usage Fee = the fee that you pay to a resort company for which you have a contractual right to use (RTU), but don't actually have a deeded interest in. This is the typical model for Mexican timeshare resorts, including Vidanta. Some older contracts refer to these as MFs, but that isn't how I would think of them since it really isn't true. A reservation fee may be a term used by some resorts to mean the same thing; I haven't really run into that myself.

Am I correct that the terms; Renovation Fee, Extension Fee and Renewal Fee are the same thing? And a Resort Fee is something different that only non-members and folks using their SFX privilege week must pay?

Older Mayan World (term used by @pittle for Vidanta since the name has changed a few times) contracts included an obligation to pay a renovation fee every 5 years equivalent to the amount of the usage fee (MF) for that year. Those contracts ran for 25 years and were renewable for 3 more 25-year terms.

Renewal fees for Mayan World contracts are typically five usage fee (MF) per week that is being renewed. For the 25-year contracts this would by one fee for a typical contract that had one registered week and one vacation faire week. For the newer contracts, renewal is every 10-years and covers the two other weeks, which I generically refer to as "residence weeks" though they have different names in the different contracts for the different tiers of ownership. Renewal fees are different than renovation fees, though non-payment would have a similar effect on whether they would let you make a reservation. I haven't run into the use of the term "extension fee" so can't comment.

Resort fees are add on charges that many resorts apply to exchanges. They are paid by the individuals actually using the resort on an exchange. Some resorts (e.g., Massanutten) actually apply resort fees to owners staying there because the fee is to pay for the resort amenities used by the folks staying their and isn't related to maintenance of the units owned. At Vidanta, the resort fees vary depending on the size of the unit, the resort you are at, and the exchange system used (SFX is currently a flat $75/week; Third Home is $42/day; RCI & II are dependent on size and place).

I've seen a reference to owners updates or owners meetings and they sound like some sort of group presentation of Vidanta's future plans. So is that different from the sales meetings where they just try to sell you an upgrade?

There is absolutely no difference; they are trying to sell you an upgrade or an additional contract. Attending one does give you an opportunity to learn new things about the resorts and what they are doing, but the purpose of them is to sell, sell, sell.

When I was in RM this past February there was a $20 per day fee for "Derecho de Saneami". The internet couldn't translate this. What is this?

Quintana Roo has an environmental tax (derecho de saneamiento ambiental - shortened on the bill to fit) that is 20 or 40 pesos per night.

It seems to be general knowledge in this forum that members that have paid the most get preference for better room locations. Is this policy actually acknowledged by Vidanta? So does that mean that if two members both bought rights to a GB unit, the person that paid more gets preference?

Haven't seen it officially acknowledged, but it is common knowledge and has been my experience.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
My usage of the terms would be as follows:
Renewal fees for Mayan World contracts are typically one usage fee (MF) per week that is being renewed. For the 25-year contracts this would by one fee for a typical contract that had one registered week and one vacation faire week. For the newer contracts, renewal is every 10-years and covers the two other weeks, which I generically refer to as "residence weeks" though they have different names in the different contracts for the different tiers of ownership. Renewal fees are different than renovation fees, though non-payment would have a similar effect on whether they would let you make a reservation. I haven't run into the use of the term "extension fee" so can't comment.

The renewal fees for the older contracts at the 25 year point is FIVE current MF.

Vacation Fair weeks are "Bonus weeks" - new term is Residence Week. You could get one week for each week that you owned. These could not be used from February 1 until after Easter.

Room assignments a GL are based on level of ownership. Silver, Gold, Platinum.

When we owned just Mayan Palace units, it became known that if you had invested a specific amount of $, you got "Profile A" status. I bought a bunch of resale units on eBay in order to get that. The story was that depended on the amount of "equity" you owned. That meant that if the original owner paid $15,000, that was the equity - no matter what you paid. We used some of those to upgrade to 2 Grand Mayan units and some cash (but less than our first MP Unit). We got a certificate telling us that we got preferential rooms and could book 12 months out.

When we traded all in and upgraded to GL, these came with us. Our upgrade amount was about the same cost as all the future Renovation fees that we had for 4 weeks MP and 2 weeks GM. We now have TWO 2-bedroom GL units at the Gold Status which has the same statements that our Profile A did.

We had not planned to pay the 25 year Renewal fees. We will pay our 10 year renewal in 2023, and when we are 88 and 86 in 2033, we will not. The 10 year fee is not that high, plus we will be using our Senior Certificates then and the renewal fee is a bargain!

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Thanks, Phyllis; my mistake on the renewal fees. I fixed it in my post above.

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
We upgraded into a 2 Bedroom Loft Park Terrace II (2 weeks x100 + 1x10 years) in Feb 2019. Our contract uses both terms Usage fee and Reservation Fee interchangeably but not Maintenance Fee. We can also book into a 2 bedroom Grand Luxxe Spa or a Grand Luxxe Master Suite. Yet our paperwork says: " We are pleased to inform you that today's upgrade (snip) will give you priority to acquire a unit into Grand Luxxe division on your next upgrade." Our contract says we can book a place in Nuevo Vallarta 8 months in advance or in a sister resort 6 months in advance. There is no mention anywhere about Silver, Gold and Platinum.

So I call today to see if I can reserve a 2 bedroom Grand Bliss in NV for February 2020 thinking I might be platinum. I am told I must wait until June 1 to reserve a Grand Bliss room. Then the young lady suggests that I reserve a 2 bedroom Grand Luxxe Spa today and then downgrade and get a refund if and when I get the 2 bedroom Grand Bliss. She says I can reserve Grand Luxxe 12 months out, Grand Bliss 8 months out and Grand Mayan 6 months out. Oh, but wait, all the Grand Luxxe 2 bedrooms are totally sold out, so call back June 1, 2019.

Could they possibly make this more confusing? Does Silver, Gold and Platinum still exist? If so what am I? Am I at the Grand Luxxe level or somewhere between GB and GL? (That's the question I sent to member services.)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, the key to reservations with Vidanta is that the window opens up at the 12 month point for GL, at the 8 month point for GB, and at the 6 month point for the others, on a month basis rather than on a day basis. No one can reserve GB prior to the first day of the month 8 months prior to the check in date; hence the June 1 date for a February reservation. If you wanted an MP reservation, it would be August 1. The phone lines get pretty jammed then, of course.

You are at the silver level of you don't have anything saying otherwise, but that doesn't change the GB booking window. All gold/platinum gets you at that point is a different phone number to call that results in somewhat less competition.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Most members are Silver.

Gold and Platinum owners tend to own multiple Registered weeks. Therefore, they have more invested with Vidanta. If you are Gold or Platinum you will have an Addendum in your packet stating that you have that and what it covers. You will have a special phone number to call for reservations or assistance.

We have been owners for 20 years and had 6 Registered weeks - 4 MP (a 1bdr and three 2bdr) and 2 GM 2-bdr units - by the time we decided to upgrade. We now have Two Grand Luxxe 2-bedroom units and have multiple Residence weeks too. We had the Profile A and they honored that and converted it to Gold when we upgraded. They also honored our other "perks" and put them into our GL contract.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Registered Weeks are the ones you have for the 1st 10 years in the new contracts. With older contracts for MP, GM, & GB you got Registered weeks that stay with the contract and Vacation Fair weeks. Some contracts did not transfer the VF weeks when you sold.

When our contract converts to only Residence weeks, 2 of ours basically take on the same privileges as our current Registered weeks and are covered under our Senior Certificate and can book 12 months in advance. We have to pay for the others if we use them.

Senior Certificates were available to those who owned prior to November 2006 and they had to go to the Member Services office and sign up for them by a date in 2008. With them, when we turn 75, the MF are 1/2 price and when we are 77, MF are free. These are not transferable to family or sale. Owners who had these were allowed to carry them over to an upgrade. We do have to pay the renewal fee when due.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
FWIW I had asked the contracts guy what it took to get to Platinum level last year as we noticed various perks were available in the resort. He quietly stated that to get to that level you have to have at least $200K invested in Vidanta. True or not, that's what he said. I had never heard of Silver or Gold levels until this thread. Other than phone numbers, which I assume give booking priority, what are other differences between the levels?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
FWIW I had asked the contracts guy what it took to get to Platinum level last year as we noticed various perks were available in the resort. He quietly stated that to get to that level you have to have at least $200K invested in Vidanta. True or not, that's what he said. I had never heard of Silver or Gold levels until this thread. Other than phone numbers, which I assume give booking priority, what are other differences between the levels?

Preferred Check-in and Preferred View Rooms are listed in ours in addition to the special phone number. We can book 12 months in advance, but I think pretty much all GL owners have that now.

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
Ok, the key to reservations with Vidanta is that the window opens up at the 12 month point for GL, at the 8 month point for GB, and at the 6 month point for the others, on a month basis rather than on a day basis. No one can reserve GB prior to the first day of the month 8 months prior to the check in date; hence the June 1 date for a February reservation.

You are at the silver level of you don't have anything saying otherwise, but that doesn't change the GB booking window. All gold/platinum gets you at that point is a different phone number to call that results in somewhat less competition.

I'm learning more all the time. There is a minimum equity that must be invested in order to reach even the Silver status, and I was ever so slightly short of that number. Basically, the Silver status has a few advantages over the owner with lower equity. When I discussed this with Vidanta they basically said; "you are so close that we will just give you the Silver status." They sent me an addendum letter to sign and I am now able to reserve any unit I am qualified to use with a 12 month window. In mid-May (2019) I was able to then reserve a Grand Bliss unit in Nuevo Vallarta for February 2020. I do not have a special phone number.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I'm learning more all the time. There is a minimum equity that must be invested in order to reach even the Silver status, ...... I am now able to reserve any unit I am qualified to use with a 12 month window. In mid-May (2019) I was able to then reserve a Grand Bliss unit in Nuevo Vallarta for February 2020. I do not have a special phone number.

12 month ARP is a big benefit if you want snowbird season .

- this allows you to not only confirm your reservation , but also to do any other planning ,including family/ friends joining you .

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm learning more all the time. There is a minimum equity that must be invested in order to reach even the Silver status, and I was ever so slightly short of that number. Basically, the Silver status has a few advantages over the owner with lower equity. When I discussed this with Vidanta they basically said; "you are so close that we will just give you the Silver status." They sent me an addendum letter to sign and I am now able to reserve any unit I am qualified to use with a 12 month window. In mid-May (2019) I was able to then reserve a Grand Bliss unit in Nuevo Vallarta for February 2020. I do not have a special phone number.

I've been chatting with Member Services about this; is the longer window restricted to your registered week or does it include the other weeks? Apparently we have that benefit, though I don't have a copy of the addendum that covers it.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I've been chatting with Member Services about this; is the longer window restricted to your registered week or does it include the other weeks? Apparently we have that benefit, though I don't have a copy of the addendum that covers it.

Our contract specifically states that we have a 12 month reservation window for both Registered and Residence weeks the 1st 10 years and we have an addendum for the 12 month reservation window for years 10-100.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our contract specifically states that we have a 12 month reservation window for both Registered and Residence weeks the 1st 10 years and we have an addendum for the 12 month reservation window for years 10-100.

Thanks, @pittle; is that for GL or the lower levels, too? What @StructureGuy posted was that he now has a 12 month window for GB instead of the normal 8 month one. I wouldn’t mind having that flexibility to book a month or so for February in the Marina Vallarta MP; it’s in a good location and being able to book that early would make it easier.

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta

You made me read the addendum more closely. It is only for the registered weeks and alternate weeks. Which I understand is only for the agreement pertaining to the first ten years (and then I lose it, maybe?).

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That makes sense with what I’ve heard, @StructureGuy, that it’s just for the registered weeks. Kind of makes the older 25 year contracts more valuable. You can always upgrade and get them extended for another 10 years, though....

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanks, @pittle; is that for GL or the lower levels, too? What @StructureGuy posted was that he now has a 12 month window for GB instead of the normal 8 month one. I wouldn’t mind having that flexibility to book a month or so for February in the Marina Vallarta MP; it’s in a good location and being able to book that early would make it easier.

I double checked my contract info and everything says 12 months for GL but 8 months for GB & Bliss, and 6 months for MP & GM.

We cannot get a jump on the owners of those locations, which is fair. Even with our Profle A with GM, we could get those weeks 12 months out, but our MP ones were still 6 months. They do not get to bump up, but we can drop down and get more weeks.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I double checked my contract info and everything says 12 months for GL but 8 months for GB & Bliss, and 6 months for MP & GM.

We cannot get a jump on the owners of those locations, which is fair. Even with our Profle A with GM, we could get those weeks 12 months out, but our MP ones were still 6 months. They do not get to bump up, but we can drop down and get more weeks.

That’s how it’s dealt with in my contract, too. Apparently it’s covered in the current version of the Silver status addendum, which I’ve asked them to give me a copy of so I understand how it works. @StructureGuy owns a higher level Parks contract that can trade down to GB, which he can now book 12 months out, giving him a jump on regular GB owners. I’m not sure that’s a big deal at that level because I constantly see a ton of GB availability in exchanges even in the high season, but it’s a nice flexibility to have, IMHO.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You made me read the addendum more closely. It is only for the registered weeks and alternate weeks. Which I understand is only for the agreement pertaining to the first ten years (and then I lose it, maybe?).

Thanks for pointing this out about Silver status. I got them to give me a copy of that addendum since we had bypassed it; they also verified that it applies to reservations in the Parks.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Wow. I’ve been a member here long enough to actually follow this thread, and understand 90+% of it. A year ago it would have all been over my head. I am very glad I found TUG. Peace of mind for sure when it comes to Vidanta and the quirky way they do things. I do not for the life of me understand why they make it so complicated, and continually move the cups around making it more difficult to find the hidden pea. Add to that the sales team, and their exaggerations and outright lies.. All I can think of is why?