• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
When we move I am really going to miss my GE range. I just love it and it is only a few years old. Now I will have to take what the builder gives standard to keep costs down for now. Then again- that is the case with this entire house- bathrooms and all! But that is what downsizing is all about when you are on a budget.
Ugh! I would not want to skimp on appliances. Not all of us can afford a huge home, but appliances are daily and these little touches truly add to your quality of life.
I've been renting for 3 years and selected my rental because of the nice appliances. Even my guests (I often have family and friends stay for extended visits) commented.
I just bought a little house, about 1000SF, 2/2, like my rental. It came with a beautiful new gas range - even my kid noticed it in the edge of a photo I texted him. We do like gas. I just bought a new fridge at Lowe's last night to replace the dinky fridge that came with the house. I am very excited because of all the features and size. I cannot wait!
As my order was being added to the system, the salesman noticed my previous order of my washer and dryer 3 years ago. I love, love these! Top loader Whirlpool with a steam dryer - great feature out here.
I had front loaders in the house I sold in IN. They were nice and I was really happy with them. My buyers were very excited to have them included in the sale.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Ugh! I would not want to skimp on appliances. Not all of us can afford a huge home, but appliances are daily and these little touches truly add to your quality of life..

Absolutely! :) Sometime between the age of 60 and 70, my husband started saying - "Buy what you want because this is probably the last one you will buy." This has applied to our big purchases - house, cars, furniture, etc.

We bought an 18 month old foreclosure house in 2008. The previous owners took ALL of the appliances - even the built-in oven and gas cook-top! We went to the builder and got a list of what had been put in so that it would fit in the spaces.
  • The JennAir 6 burner gas cook-top is huge and the way it fits, we had to have the exact one - it did not just drop in because the controls are on the front and the cabinet and granite was cut to fit it.
  • We bought the double oven that fit into the hole -but did not spring for one convection and one regular, just got two regular - I only use both at Christmas. One oven or just a range would have worked just fine and saved money plus had more counter space.
  • I chose a counter-top depth refrigerator so that everything is flush. It is taller but still has the same 26.5 CF of space and fits under the cabinet above. It cost more but we love it. It is our most frequently used appliance.
  • We did not buy the $1400 built-in microwave, but bought one for about 1/2 the price. We do not like this one because the door pulls down not to the side. I did not catch that when we ordered it. It is a challenge for me as I am 5'4" and the turn-table inside is 4'11" from the floor and I have to reach over the 14" door to put things in and take them out. I have to use larger containers than necessary so that I do not spill anything.
  • Make sure you get a good, super quiet dishwasher! :)

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When I helped my Son sell his house a few months ago it was the Buyer's Agent who held the deal together every time an issue arose...

George

We are still agonizing over who to use when we come to the top of the waitlist at the Carlsbad CCRC. On the one hand our friend (became a friend after he sold us a house) who's been our agent on three home purchases and one lot buy & sell is like a bulldog when he gets hold of a deal. He stays awake at night worrying about the details and follows up on everything. On the other hand, he didn't get our last home sold in six months of open houses so we had to let him go. That was in 2010 during the recession, but the next guy had it sold in three months. Bob the Bulldog does not use lock boxes -- he wants to see the gleam in the eye of every potential buyer. But when we get notice a unit is available for us, we will have 60 days to get the house sold and ourselves moved out, and we fear lack of instant access to realtors herding clients around could hurt our chances for a quick sale. As much as we appreciate the efforts of Friendly Frank, who got the other house sold (he knocked on our door and said he'd noticed our house had fallen out of contract, and he isn't even a realtor in our town which meant he was hustling business trying to stay alive in the economic down turn), he tends to be the type that turns the house over to the lockbox and other realtors. He does one open house himself, and a minion may do one, then that's it and time to lower the price. Bob wants to sell the house at the highest price possible based on his skill as a salesman. Frank's approach is that the market sets the price, and the buyer's either like the house or they don't. We see both of these guys socially once or twice a year, but don't expect to have either one come for a visit and dinner in Carlsbad.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Today hubby and I signed on the dotted line to purchase our home in our dream Location in NH! We hired an atty to check everything over next week, but it looks like a go! To say I am so excited is an understatement! I can’t believe this is happening!

We met people in the development and they were all awesome! I already have a walking buddy and hubby has a hunting buddy! Omg! I am over the top excited!

They are saying the home should be complete around 11/1 barring bad weather.

We have picked out upgrades- still have to do the kitchen- but we are trying to keep things simple. We even picked out the house color!

That is what downsizing is all about. I don't care too much about fancy appliances or equity build up. I care about lifestyle and I think we will have what we want here!

Meanwhile our son is sad about our selling our home and he didn’t even come with us as planned today. Very sentimental about the old homestead.

But Hoping we can can sell it soon. It was just listed yesterday. Fingers crossed!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This never would have even happened without all your input!!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today hubby and I signed on the dotted line to purchase our home in our dream Location in NH! We hired an atty to check everything over next week, but it looks like a go! To say I am so excited is an understatement! I can’t believe this is happening!

We met people in the development and they were all awesome! I already have a walking buddy and hubby has a hunting buddy! Omg! I am over the top excited!

You go, girl. Thanksgiving in the new house! We are happy for you.

Jim

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Awesome!!!

Yes, my wife is a little worried about the downsizing too. I don’t think it will be an issue. I could probably live in a tiny house. :)

My son was very sentimental about our first house when we sold it so I can relate to that one too.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You go, girl. Thanksgiving in the new house! We are happy for you.

Jim

We actually have our timeshare vacation scheduled in our Vermont timeshare for Thanksgiving week! Lol!

It’s gonna be a crazy year! And hubby was just called to serve on Grand Jury just to make things more interesting!

taffy19

Reaction score

We have picked out upgrades- still have to do the kitchen- but we are trying to keep things simple. We even picked out the house color!

That is what downsizing is all about. I don't care too much about fancy appliances or equity build up. I care about lifestyle and I think we will have what we want here!

Meanwhile our son is sad about our selling our home and he didn’t even come with us as planned today. Very sentimental about the old homestead.

But Hoping we can can sell it soon. It was just listed yesterday. Fingers crossed!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This never would have even happened without all your input!!!
i am so happy for you that you feel good about your purchase now. :)

Sorry that it is hard for your son to see the house, where he grew up in, to be sold but nothing stops him from driving by there when he feels like it every once and awhile.

I believe that the house was quite isolated and he may not have had many neighbor kids that he hang around with or school buddies but they may still be in touch with each other. He will get over it, I hope for him.

Hopefully, everything goes as planned and your current home will not stay on the market long because someone will treasure living full time or even part of the year in such a beautiful area.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
i am so happy for you that you feel good about your purchase now. :)

Sorry that it is hard for your son to see the house, where he grew up in, to be sold but nothing stops him from driving by there when he feels like it every once and awhile.

I believe that the house was quite isolated and he may not have had many neighbor kids that he hang around with or school buddies but they may still be in touch with each other. He will get over it, I hope for him.

Hopefully, everything goes as planned and your current home will not stay on the market long because someone will treasure living full time or even part of the year in such a beautiful area.

Thank you. After seeing the listing, the realtors in NH told us that if our home was in NH we would get big bucks for it and it would be swept up in a heartbeat.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Congratulations, very happy for you

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. After seeing the listing, the realtors in NH told us that if our home was in NH we would get big bucks for it and it would be swept up in a heartbeat.
Congrats in moving forward!

I just saw your house on MLS. It is a great price for a buyer for such a nice home and the stream is lovely. But the property tax is... gulp...

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
mpumila, this is the best news that I have heard from you this year. Wishing DH and you, love, happiness, pleasant dreams, peace in your new home.

Congratulations in your new Home purchase . I am very Happy for You.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Congrats in moving forward!

I just saw your house on MLS. It is a great price for a buyer for such a nice home and the stream is lovely. But the property tax is... gulp...

Thanks. Yes- NYS is a property and school tax hell hole. And our land is mostly forestland, so it is only assessed on a few acres and the taxes are still crazy high!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Awesome!!!

Yes, my wife is a little worried about the downsizing too. I don’t think it will be an issue. I could probably live in a tiny house. :)

Cliff is going to be the problem, and I'm the collector in the family! He was looking for something in the "book & media"closet in his office the other day. Closet has a short & a tall bookcase, then all the tuners/CD player/turntable. So he had books strewn across the antique bed that is also in that room. I notice yellowing paperback copies of Psychocybernetics and Sidharta, among other things from the 60's. And say "There's still a little room in the book box that Salvation Army is picking up (Thank you, DaveNW!) on Thursday, how about we add those to the box and what else can we put in there?" Nope, not happening. My plan of attack as I continue to downsize and de-clutter, is to put "crummy" books in boxes marked "Cliff's Books". Good books will just be marked as books. Trick will be to remember not to ask for help putting books on our new book shelves. My plan is to move only the nice bookshelf in the living room and to sell the two crappy book shelves that were bought second hand specifically to go into the closet. I've already given notice that I want custom wall to wall book/knickknack/TV shelving in the new living room. We simply won't have room for old musty paperback books. Truth be told I could have slipped the two books I mentioned above out the door and into the box going to the SA and he would have been none the wiser. He does not know I'm reading and then listing on eBay the "classic" Easton Press leather bound books we bought 15 years ago when we had a formal library in the Victorian house. He'd pitch a fit, but has he read the books or is he likely to ever? Nope.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann, I am thrilled for you. Such an exciting time and you are in control. This is a good time to list so hope it goes fast.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’ve been away from this thread, and just caught up with the latest news. Congratulations on all accounts! I hope everything goes according to plan. :thumbup:

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I’ve been away from this thread, and just caught up with the latest news. Congratulations on all accounts! I hope everything goes according to plan. :thumbup:

Dave

Thanks! How was your cruise?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann, I am thrilled for you. Such an exciting time and you are in control. This is a good time to list so hope it goes fast.

Thanks, Patri. We are on our way home from NH, hoping to get back before yet another big storm and - lo and behold- I get a text from a realtor that she is showing the house just at the time we were to arrive! Lol!

Guess we’ll hang out in the McDonalds in town then.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Thanks, Patri. We are on our way home from NH, hoping to get back before yet another big storm and - lo and behold- I get a text from a realtor that she is showing the house just at the time we were to arrive! Lol!

Wow, way to get moving!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Maybe this will be your buyer, the ones that come out as soon as it’s listed are usually the serious buyers.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Maybe this will be your buyer, the ones that come out as soon as it’s listed are usually the serious buyers.

Wouldn’t that be something!?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
When we move I am really going to miss my GE range. I just love it and it is only a few years old.

Could you take the range with you when you move? Let the new owner of your current home buy a range for themselves?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Could you take the range with you when you move? Let the new owner of your current home buy a range for themselves?

I hadn’t considered it honestly. It’s possible, of course, but not sure if the builder will install it. It’s a slide in, so the granite would have to be cut for it. Big hassle. And how to get it up there while the kitchen is being built but we don’t own the house yet.

Then a lot of buyers expect sellers to leave the kitchen appliances. So that could affect our house sale here.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I hadn’t considered it honestly. It’s possible, of course, but not sure if the builder will install it. It’s a slide in, so the granite would have to be cut for it. Big hassle. And how to get it up there while the kitchen is being built but we don’t own the house yet.

Then a lot of buyers expect sellers to leave the kitchen appliances. So that could affect our house sale here.
The dimensions for the range should be available online if you don't still have the paperwork. Might be worth asking the builder, if you really like your range.

Our builder was really good about working with us. We brought our own excavating contractor, our own plumber, I bought all the appliances, bought our own wood flooring, had our own interior painter etc. Saved us lots of money.

Good luck with the building process!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk