• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental Lines - Maui

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were over 2 hours at the rental center before a 2 hour stop and slow drive to Ka'anapali. Maui may well have lost me as a visitor over this.

Oh, it was a Costco booking with Avis. Horrible customer service.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We were over 2 hours at the rental center before a 2 hour stop and slow drive to Ka'anapali. Maui may well have lost me as a visitor over this.

Oh, it was a Costco booking with Avis. Horrible customer service.

Jim
Cross Kauai off the list too. We waited 1 hour - there were 7 people in front of us and one person behind the counter. It was Avis as well. Even though we are preferred members we weren't on the list so we had to wait. It was painful to have the lady explain every nuance of the process - insurance, gas refilling, and offering upgrades for more money - to every customer, plus answer the phone. Then we had traffic through Kapa'a. It was miserable.

We flew to Maui last Friday after a one hour delay and there was no one in line at Budget since we apparently didn't land with any other planes. Then it took us an hour to get to Ka'anapali.

We just got lucky, no traffic to the airport today. It's such a crapshoot.

Vacation4us

TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrived on Wednesday this week. Book with Alamo, via CostcoTravel. I did the early check in and filled out and printed the required info to “skip the counter” the day before we departed. Everyone should do this. We arrived on Maui, picked up our luggage, took the tram to the new rental center and walked straight to the Alamo cars, showed them our paperwork, and drove off. Super easy!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We arrived in Las Vegas yesterday, collected our luggage, and made our way to the rental car area. Budget had a line of regular customers, but a clearly-posted sign saying, "Fastbreak Customers proceed to Hallway C." To the right was a doorway marked "C." We went out, made a left turn, and there was the Budget Fastbreak kiosk. I walked up to the window, gave them my name. The clerk pointed to the parking stall directly behind me, and said, "There's your car." Paperwork and keys were already in it. We loaded up and drove off. It took longer to find our way out of the parking garage than it did to get the car. Excellent customer service.

Dave

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
The clerk pointed to the parking stall directly behind me, and said, "There's your car." Paperwork and keys were already in it. We loaded up and drove off. It took longer to find our way out of the parking garage than it did to get the car. Excellent customer service.

This has been my experience at the Kahului Budget location since 2011.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We had about a 90 minute wait in line at Budget last January.
In Maui in April I got my car assigned immediately, however, the wait for the shuttle to the rent a car place took like a 1/2 hour with no line at all. The line for the 3 or 4 companies that use the same shuttle service was very long, however, after people waited like 15 minutes about 4 shuttles came at once and eliminated the line. It seems like the shuttle service is going "on strike" since they (will be/are) unemployed with the new building, which (will be/is now open, since it is June.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Maui in April I got my car assigned immediately, however, the wait for the shuttle to the rent a car place took like a 1/2 hour with no line at all. The line for the 3 or 4 companies that use the same shuttle service was very long, however, after people waited like 15 minutes about 4 shuttles came at once and eliminated the line. It seems like the shuttle service is going "on strike" since they (will be/are) unemployed with the new building, which (will be/is now open, since it is June.
The new facility has been open almost 3 weeks now and the shuttle team is quick. It would be better if they had designed it to come inside, nearer the carousels, but that's how it goes. It was a mess last week, but hopefully they will smooth out the wrinkles.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The new facility has been open almost 3 weeks now and the shuttle team is quick. It would be better if they had designed it to come inside, nearer the carousels, but that's how it goes. It was a mess last week, but hopefully they will smooth out the wrinkles.

I understood from one of the shuttle drivers that they would be laid off and unemployed as soon as the building opened!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understood from one of the shuttle drivers that they would be laid off and unemployed as soon as the building opened!
As it happened, when I got to the Avis counter, the 'agent' at the kiosk next to mine told be that 10 days earlier, before the new facility opened, he was a shuttle driver. So don't feel too badly for them.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrived on Wednesday this week. Book with Alamo, via CostcoTravel. I did the early check in and filled out and printed the required info to “skip the counter” the day before we departed. Everyone should do this. We arrived on Maui, picked up our luggage, took the tram to the new rental center and walked straight to the Alamo cars, showed them our paperwork, and drove off. Super easy!
Thanks for the tip. Just did this with our Alamo rental for Aug on Maui so this should save us some time. Hopefully the shuttles are operating at peak performance so we don't have to wait too long for that.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Thanks for the tip. Just did this with our Alamo rental for Aug on Maui so this should save us some time. Hopefully the shuttles are operating at peak performance so we don't have to wait too long for that.

No more shuttles.