• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EPlus & Guest Certificates

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I’m letting a friend use an II Exchange week I have, so obviously I need to get a GC.

I have E-plus on the Exchange with two more possible exchanges left.

The week my friends are using is next March, and I told them if for some reason that couldn’t use that week, they could avail themselves of E-plus and I’d book them something else using that feature.

My question is: if I buy them a GC now, and we exercise the EPlus option (unlikely but you never know), is that GC still valid for the new EPlus unit? Or would I need to get them a second GC?

Obviously I could just wait until closer in to buy the GC. But I’d rather do it now and become a little more hands off about their vacation.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Thank you for asking this, as I have a similar situation. However I'm going to wait until very close to check in date as my DD &SIL might postpone due to health reasons.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm not sure either but I would suspect that the GC is for that trip only - so I would hold off.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. I have a HGVC reservation booked for my brother/SIL. But they are somewhat mercurial and could change their minds at any point, so I am waiting to buy the GC until I am sure that they are going. I would love to have it over and done with, but knowing that there is a chance that things could change I just put a reminder in my calendar to buy it a week ahead of time.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've a related question on getting GCs. If you're giving/letting friends & family use an exchange, do most of you also purchase out of pocket the GC for them?

I do this for my grown kids, but am inclined to ask siblings & friends for cost of the GC. Just curious on others' perspective and practice is on this.
TIA.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I've a related question on getting GCs. If you're giving/letting friends & family use an exchange, do most of you also purchase out of pocket the GC for them?

I do this for my grown kids, but am inclined to ask siblings & friends for cost of the GC. Just curious on others' perspective and practice is on this.
TIA.

It really depends.

Am I intending to give a generous gift? I’ll pay the GC. More likely to do this for folks younger than me who I know don’t have tons of money to spare.

OR am I doing someone a favor by letting them use the week? If so, I’ll ask them to pay the GC.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I'm giving you a free week then I'm definitely asking you to pay for the GC. The guest needs to have some investment in the week.

Edit: In re-reading this, it probably sounds more harsh than it should. But I have been burned twice by people who changed their minds at the last minute (like one week before arrival) and I was left to salvage some value from the week by doing a *very- late deposit, once in II and once in RCI. Having them foot the bill for the GC has actually helped. Somehow even that small cost has helped them understand that there is some actual cost associated with the week and that just because it was free to them, it was not free to me.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For family and friends that are asking me to get them something - I always charge the GC fee to them. If my II accounts needs to be upgraded to Platinium at the time, I will still charge the GC fee and offset my cost of platinum renewal with it instead.

If I am giving as a gift, I pick up the cost.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I'm giving you a free week then I'm definitely asking you to pay for the GC. The guest needs to have some investment in the week.

Edit: In re-reading this, it probably sounds more harsh than it should. But I have been burned twice by people who changed their minds at the last minute (like one week before arrival) and I was left to salvage some value from the week by doing a *very- late deposit, once in II and once in RCI. Having them foot the bill for the GC has actually helped. Somehow even that small cost has helped them understand that there is some actual cost associated with the week and that just because it was free to them, it was not free to me.

i get you and completely agree. I've been trying to arrange a gals getaway, 2nd try. I've had to do some education on exchange fees, cancellation fees, GCs to my friends who don't own timeshares. I think most of them assumed it was similar to hotel reservations where there is usually no cost to reserve or cancel. I hesitate to put in any OGS or make a reservation unless they give me specific time frame and locale of where they want to go; because most are vague and don't want to commit 8, 9, 12 or even 6 months in advance. I will ask them to cover the exchange fee if I get dates & locale, to ensure they've got some skin in the game. I'm putting up the TS points or unit.

You all are more generous than I, in gifting your TS weeks. My MF cost is at minimum ~$900/unit, and my non-immediate family/siblings or friends do not gift each other expensive items.

My BIL annually asks us to get him a getaway or extra vacation to Las Vegas for him and his golfing buddies. I always add in the GC cost to the getaway cost. They want/need it at lowest price, and he asks us to check prices at least 2-3 times.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i get you and completely agree. I've been trying to arrange a gals getaway, 2nd try. I've had to do some education on exchange fees, cancellation fees, GCs to my friends who don't own timeshares. I think most of them assumed it was similar to hotel reservations where there is usually no cost to reserve or cancel. I hesitate to put in any OGS or make a reservation unless they give me specific time frame and locale of where they want to go; because most are vague and don't want to commit 8, 9, 12 or even 6 months in advance. I will ask them to cover the exchange fee if I get dates & locale, to ensure they've got some skin in the game. I'm putting up the TS points or unit.

You all are more generous than I, in gifting your TS weeks. My MF cost is at minimum ~$900/unit, and my non-immediate family/siblings or friends do not gift each other expensive items.

My BIL annually asks us to get him a getaway or extra vacation to Las Vegas for him and his golfing buddies. I always add in the GC cost to the getaway cost. They want/need it at lowest price, and he asks us to check prices at least 2-3 times.
I have only gifted to family that have had to go over and above with our elderly parents. So it's thankfully it's not something that I have done regularly. But when they cancel at the last minute, I'm pretty upset.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
We sent our nephew and his new wife to a Marriott on Aruba for their honeymoon. Yes, we paid for the GC. It was a studio unit, booked with Hyatt points, so it wasn’t the most expensive exchange ever. Made for a memorable gift.

I can’t recall ever giving a week away otherwise, but we’d do it again for some big occasion like a honeymoon or a major anniversary. Depending on how much we like the relatives in question.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP: the name on the Guest Certificate stays through to the next Eplus. No need to pay an extra fee.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Melissy123, that is good to know.

I have the platinum membership with II, so I don't have to pay for GC's. Our son owns our timeshares, too, and when he stayed at Cypress Pointe in Orlando, I figured he wouldn't need a GC, since his name is the same last name as ours, but Cypress Pointe refused to allow him to check-in without his name on as a guest. So glad to know Cypress Pointe is so protective of II's interests (sarcasm).

Rick finally convinced the resort that Josh is on our ownership, but golly gee--it was an hour of arguing with them. After that, I decided to add the kids' names, just in case. Now we can do it without hassle. Our account says word for word, "No guest certificate required for Laura____, Joshua____ or Jeremy ____." But the only way to add their names without a GC is to call. I don't like to make phone calls, so I add GC's.

It's worked out well for us.