• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use of TPU's

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been an RCI weeks member since 2003. I have just been asked a question by a friend who is also an RCI weeks member. I know that if you have RCI points that you can use points for car rentals, etc. His question and also mine, as I do not know the answer, is can you use TPU's for any other purpose other than reserving timeshares?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Please don't take my word as the final, but I don't think you can use TPUs for anything other than timeshares, except maybe cruises. Just to test I went into RCI and pulled up information for a car rental. The only option it showed me for payment was $$$ not TPUs.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether you CAN use them for other than timeshares, you shouldn't. Even using RCI Points is a lousy use of your MF dollars.

Jim

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether you CAN use them for other than timeshares, you shouldn't. Even using RCI Points is a lousy use of your MF dollars.

Jim
I agree Jim but he has over 350 TPU's that just increases yearly and he is looking for a way to get some other way to get some value from them.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I only use TPUs for exchanges. Only have 2 unused TPUs left. All others are spoken for. Don’t think there is anything I can get for 2 TPU?
Silentg

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree Jim but he has over 350 TPU's that just increases yearly and he is looking for a way to get some other way to get some value from them.

Yikes.....350 TPUs! Does he own that many TSs he deposits? Or is he paying for extensions. I don't know of any other use for them than to exchange. Maybe it is time to for him to plan a massive family vacation for everyone and clean out that account.

Silentg - the lowest TPU I have ever seen is 3.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes.....350 TPUs! Does he own that many TSs he deposits? Or is he paying for extensions. I don't know of any other use for them than to exchange. Maybe it is time to for him to plan a massive family vacation for everyone and clean out that account.

Mostly he has paid RCI for extensions and combinations. He doesn't seem to be able to use his annual allocations and must consistently combine.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If he has that many TPUs and not using them, why is he paying for extensions?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Only have 2 unused TPUs left.
- the lowest TPU I have ever seen is 3.
Don’t think there is anything I can get for 2 TPU?
Silentg

About 3 years ago RCI did have a sale that included some - 1 TPU - exchanges .

As I recall the weeks available were basically all unused developer deposited “mud weeks” . The 1 TPU units may have been mostly studios - but I cannot really recall .

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, 350 TPUs, plus years of extensions and combinations...poor guy.

Could he book some vacations for friends and extended family?

How about a big party? Maybe a family reunion? He could probably have most of Massanutten for 350 TPUs.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes, most low TPU are for India or Branson, MO. I’ll hold on til a big sale

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I gave up on RCI. I have a 2 bedroom oceanfront Marco Island and they want 2 years worth of TPUs to get 1 week in a Disney 1BR deluxe. Ain't worth it anymore.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I gave up on RCI. I have a 2 bedroom oceanfront Marco Island and they want 2 years worth of TPUs to get 1 week in a Disney 1BR deluxe. Ain't worth it anymore.
Is it a HGVC affiliate? Then it is only worth it if you enroll the week in the HGVC and do a trade from the HGVC portal. A straight deposit into RCI and you lose lots of value.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the value on TPUs ever go up? Sorry, but not too familiar with RCI. We have friends who have RCI but haven't been using it. They have a week that is only 25 TPUs. They wanted my advice. It's pretty discouraging to see how little those 25 TPUs can be used for... unless they are able to do some last-minute travel.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Is it a HGVC affiliate? Then it is only worth it if you enroll the week in the HGVC and do a trade from the HGVC portal. A straight deposit into RCI and you lose lots of value.

Club Regency Marco Island is an HGVC resort, and the only one on the beach that doesn't use II. Do you have any thoughts regarding being able to get trades into DVC using HGVC? If so, it might be worth it to sign up. I've been using RCI since 1979, so it's all I know for exchanges.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Club Regency Marco Island is an HGVC resort, and the only one on the beach that doesn't use II. Do you have any thoughts regarding being able to get trades into DVC using HGVC? If so, it might be worth it to sign up. I've been using RCI since 1979, so it's all I know for exchanges.
I have been able to get trades thru the hgvc Rci portal to dvc. You can put an ongoing request in but I have found my weeks just checking online for availability. Weeks will match with an ongoing search but point deposits won’t, only manually checking online will match.