• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United Airlines moves to stop abuse of emotional support animals policy

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I honestly have to say that we fly 175,000 to 187,000 miles per year, and only on 2 of those flights have I seen a dog. Both were actually with official looking people and on there way to hurricane areas for comfort for people who had lost everything. They were in bulkhead behind first class. I have, however, on 3 occasions been on a flight where people had to be removed for going off the rails. All 3 incidents were quite harrowing, especially one where the man directly across from me was raving like a maniac at 2 people in the row in front of him, screaming he was going to kick their fu....g as.... as soon as the plane landed in Dubai. WOW! was I glad when he was removed. Other 2 incidents were almost as bad, one started over an overhead bin, the other drunk and crazy. YIKES!
I will say, the Munich airport is loaded with dogs, all heading somewhere with their owners and all very well behaved .
No comment on the screaming kids on flights which are many times. Flying can be really something, and I expect anything to happen , so am never surprised.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Personally, if I were moved from my premium seat to accommodate an 'emotional support peacock' or any other guinea fowl, I would be more than just a little irate

I actually have a few guinea hens, they do a fabulous job catching and eating bugs, but make an awful lot of noise. I can’t see anyone getting away with saying they’re necessary for emotional support because the noise they make is quite irritatingly loud. If they had vests for insect eradication animals, though, I could see it; they go through tons of ticks....

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, the tick-eaters are amazing. Unfortunately, in my area, the free-range chicks (pea's) become free-range fast-food for the foxes.
My wife has a hilarious video of me chasing a fox, chasing a chicken--all of us screaming bloody murder!

The Chicken lost, the fox won, but I got his lunch back.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My wife has a hilarious video of me chasing a fox, chasing a chicken--all of us screaming bloody murder!

We would love to see that video! Back in the late 70's we lived on a couple of acres in a rural area for not quite two years. Our neighbor decided to raise some turkeys because there was never enough turkey left to have left overs at Thanksgiving and Christmas with all of his wife's family coming to dinner. I guess it never crossed his mind to just buy a second turkey. Anyhow when my husband would mow there would be a whole line of turkeys following him to get the bugs the mowing stirred up. That in itself was funny but the get up he wore to mow, well let's just say that I was glad we lived out in the country several hours away from any family and friends! His mowing attire consisted of a raggedy really old pair of cut of jeans, an old beat up pair of red high top Converse sneakers, and a head band to keep the sweat out of his eyes, no shirt. So he's out there, dressed to impress, walking along mowing with a line of about 18 turkeys following their high king. How I wish I had taken a picture of that!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Uh, no.

Too embarrassing. Just imagine it in your head and make it look twice as silly as you might think. That's it.
Almost as good as the time I got mad at the horse and starting throwing buckets at him. Missed. Numerous times.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Yes, the tick-eaters are amazing. Unfortunately, in my area, the free-range chicks (pea's) become free-range fast-food for the foxes.

The Chicken lost, the fox won, but I got his lunch back.

You brought back one of my favorite childhood memories. One summer evening when it was still light out there was a convergence of several of the neighbors' pets. This was back in the day when as a kid not only could you name the occupants of every house on the block, you could name all the cats and dogs, and probably birds and hamsters too. Scooter walked by and Mitsou, the Airedale, gave half hearted chase. Our Fluffy started after Mitsou, Lucky the cocker spaniel joined the line and finally a third cat joined in. They didn't run far, but it was so funny to see cat-dog-cat-dog-cat running down the middle of the street for a few seconds before one of the dads stepped in and broke up the conga line!

Ubil

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a true story about an "emotional support animal."

Last summer my mother-in-law died. We were at the funeral service and of course my wife was crying. My 4 year old granddaughter saw my wife crying and gave to my wife my granddaughter's stuffed animal.

EmilyCline

Reaction score
I agree, esa letter online should be from licensed medical professionals. I found one online at https://emotionalpetsupport.com but theres quite a few on a search
Cliff brought up a good point about multiple pets, I don't think theres a limit to how many you can get with an ESA.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
This is great news that the airlines are being proactive. :thumbup: Everywhere I go now, it seems, there's someone bringing Fluffy or Fido along with them.

This emotional support animal issue was brought up at one of my last HOA meetings. The resort management indicated that their hands were basically tied.

It seems that there are things that CAN be required. I hope the resorts will step up and start requiring such documentation, as well as other places where "pets" shouldn't be brought. If it's a true emotional support animal, then the owner should not have a problem providing these documents. Everyone else......leave the critters at home. If you really need Fluffy or Fido with you wherever you go, then see the vet and the mental health professional and get your documentation in order.
  • Passengers with emotional support animals will have to provide the following:

• A vet health and vaccination form signed by the animal's veterinarian.

• A letter from a mental health professional.

• A signed form that their emotional support animal is trained to behave properly in public settings.

• This form also confirms that a passenger acknowledges responsibility for the animal's behavior.

All three documents must be provided to United Airlines 48 hours in advance of the flight.
We need to understand mental health issues a bit more compassionately. While I agree there are some who are abusing the system, there are others who have mental health issues, and need professional help. Too much suck it up attitude in our society which makes a person with real problems ashamed of their illness or deny they have it. Hotels and Timeshares have select rooms and buildings just for those who choose to bring pets with them. Airlines could try this approach too? I have been on flights where they have no peanuts on board because of someone’s allergy. Couldn’t they do this if a person has pet allergy?
JMHO
silentg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I pray this policy can be enforce and not challenge by some ADA group.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We've had 2 issues w/dogs on airplane that were handled very well by the flight attendants. DH is severely allergic to dogs. On a flight a number of years ago, we boarded and were seated when his lower face started swelling and his throat started closing up. We knew right away that a dog was very close nearby, explained the situation to the flight attendant and asked to be moved as I was shoving Benedryl down DH's throat!!! We were in the bulkhead seat and the dog was right next to DH. The dog and his person were moved to the back of the plane and all was well.

The most recent incident happened last year when we realized that the person with his dog boarding behind us was to be seated right behind us. I had forgotten to fill the water bottle and asked the flight attendant as I was boarding, for a cup of water so that DH could take his meds. The pilot who happened to be out front had the most disgusted look (don't know if for us or the dog!) when he discovered our plight. I assured them that DH would be fine if he got his meds...all we needed was a cup of water. We were coming home from a stay at a family members' home who had a dog. As long as DH gets a double dose of Benedryl 2x day, he can manage his allergy. The dog and his person were moved away from us!

ETA: DH and I are animal lovers and have 2 cats we're allergic to!!!

Ingrid

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We think that all "emotional support" animals should be banned from all public transportation and timeshares.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, airlines should be free to designate certain flights as "animal free" or "animal friendly", and then let the pricing adjust to what the market allows. Some people would pay a premium to be able to board with an animal; others would pay a premium to know that there would be no animals. Whichever has more demand could simply be sorted out in the marketplace. Or some airlines might choose to have animal free and animal friendly sections, and again price the seats accordingly. Of course, their flight crews should have the option of animal free or animal friendly, and employees can receive premium pay if they volunteer for flights with animals (and that would flow back to the fares charged for those flights.)

Then airlines wouldn't need to worry about people producing faux documentation, or trying to pass of their pet peacock as an emotional support animal.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That is good news. The "pets" on planes is out of control. And, I hope hotels follow the airlines lead.
You already see it with hotels. Some hotels advertise they are pet-friendly. Others allow pets, for an added fee. At least some people who travel with pets look for such facilities. Of course, some travelers sneak their pets in.

But I don't see why the same thing wouldn't work with airplanes. Plus it's a lot harder to sneak a pet onto a plane.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I see these doors at the airport "Support Animal Relief Area". I don't think I would subject my beloved pet to the stress of a flight. He's well taken care of where we board him. GOOD BOY!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite a range of ideas and feelings.

So, are dismissing the whole "comfort" or "emotional support" dogs idea in public settings? :ponder:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500

So, are dismissing the whole "comfort" or "emotional support" dogs idea in public settings? :ponder:

YES.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Except for official Assistance Animals they should be banned from all indoor public spaces that are not specifically designed for them ie Vet Office, Doggie Play Centers, etc.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
By the way we currently have a German Short Hair Pointer, who cries every time we leave, and 2 cats. We previously owned two Welsh Pembroke Corgies and two cats. The Corgies and 1 cat died.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I see these doors at the airport "Support Animal Relief Area". I don't think I would subject my beloved pet to the stress of a flight. He's well taken care of where we board him. GOOD BOY!

F55523C5-8223-4B05-BE78-9D4DD4D01743.jpeg

Flying is not stressful for some dogs. This is our former dog waiting to board a plane at LAX. Not drugged, just completely non-plussed. Our current dog would have a similar attitude towards flying, she’s an excellent traveler too.

It’s way more stressful for our two most recent dogs to be left vs coming on the trip. Dogs vary in how they respond to travel.

PS not an emotional support dog, she just flew in her carrier under the seat.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Dismissing the idea entirely.
The misuse of this makes it harder for actual working dogs to be left alone (i.e. not scrutinized)....

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
No it's not.

Someday, hopefully, the programs for service dogs, ESA's and working dogs, will enhance and benefit the lives of those who have real need and be available--under enforced penalty of law--to those who need them.

Everyday, I watch people blow-by me in the HOV lane....the sole occupant of the car. Nothing finer than watching them get pulled over by a trooper and handed a hefty fine and significant ticket.
That's how I feel about people that abuse the current ADA and ACAA rules and provisions.
No it's not.

Remember when 'handicapped parking' spaces were new? People resented them. People parked in them anyway. People judged (and still do) every single person who climbed out of a car in a handicapped space.

Someday, hopefully, the programs for service dogs, ESA's and working dogs, will enhance and benefit the lives of those who have real need and be available--under enforced penalty of law--to those who need them.

Everyday, I watch people blow-by me in the HOV lane....the sole occupant of the car. Nothing finer than watching them get pulled over by a trooper and handed a hefty fine and significant ticket.
That's how I feel about people that abuse the current ADA and ACAA rules and provisions.

So, what is your purpose in starting this thread? Education?

There are Service animals plain and simple. Isn't this ESA a designation outside of Federal policy?

https://tinyurl.com/yxnvzn46

A Service animal is a working animal by definition. No need to use lots of extra labels. I thought this whole ESA thing started in CA so people could bring their animals on public transportation, buses specifically. It is out of control and not just in airlines. I think we can all tell when the couple is walking Fido through Lowe's or bringing him to the wedding reception, or the lady has him in her shopping cart at the grocery. They've been given social license to do so.

And, yes, I do have a dear friend who is getting her pet certified so he can fly in the cabin with her. It's a convenience thing.