• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I buy Marriott Maui now or wait

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
In my view, prices for MOC seem a little on the higher end now (maybe 15-30% higher on average than past several years) given Marriott ROFR levels. Although, still much lower than prior developer pricing of many years back!

If you don't mind paying a little extra, go for it now. If you are able to wait, my guess is pricing will lower slightly after Marriott ROFR slows...assuming it does. Although MOC always remains in demand, so don't expect it to ever rock bottom.

ROFR.net will at least give you average numbers over the past several years to see where 'normal' is. While that can always change, it is at least a good data point.

When I bought my MOC 2BR OF Annual (Old) at $19k in 2017...I thought I overpaid by $1-2k...given there were a few extreme sales reported that were lower ($16k-18k). But, given that same week is failing ROFR now at over $25k+...I feel better. It's all relative. And I am happy I bought ...irregardless of time and price.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I second the Waiohai suggestion.
Upsides: It fronts Poipu beach. Deeds are much less than MOC. It has held its value quite well. Very easy to sell in my opinion. MF are lower than most other Marriott HI. Quiet resort, yet great shopping/dining nearby. Not overly touristy like MOC ("feels like Hawaii")
Downsides of Waiohai: Very few Ocean view units worthy of the name. Units are only 2BR with no lockoff option. So-so pool.

Should be easy to find an annual Island View Waiohai for $6K-$8K. Ocean View $11K-$13K.

But as to the original question, I wouldn't let fear of ROFR dictate my purchase timing. Marriott's gonna Marriott. If you are willing to pay a price and someone accepts, just enter the deal and cross your fingers. Every time I've passed ROFR my first thought has been "Woo Hoo!" and my second thought has been "how much less could I have paid for this?".

Good post, except I disagree about the current prices. I think those ranges were fair a couple of years back. Right now, the cheapest Waiohai island view listing on either Redweek or the TUG Marketplace has an asking price of $8,000; the cheapest ocean view listing is for $14,995. I have wondered whether the increased prices result from Marriott's ROFR activity or whether it is a function of weeks ownership being so much cheaper than using DC points to visit Hawaii.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
In most cases, I might be inclined to agree with the "oceanfront only" preference, but at Maui Ocean Club, the ocean view units can be fabulous as long as you can get a relatively high floor (5-9) or get a good placement on a lower floor. There are a lot of very, very nice ocean views at Maui Ocean Club and even single-week owners should have a good shot at one of those given that owners get preference in unit placement. In many ways I liked our 8th floor view this past March better than a direct-on ocean front. Having the pool in the foreground sort of adds to the "wow factor." We watched whales every morning right off shore. And given the lower price compared to OF, I think OV in the old towers at MOC is perhaps the best balance between cost and view.

I agree with JIMinNC here. Maui Ocean Club has fantastic OV units!! Better OV by far than any other MVCI resort I have been to. While we bought OF, I would not hesitate one minute in buying OV at Maui Ocean Club if the price difference was much lower. Our last MOC OV unit was fantastic, as was the one before that, and the one before that! Check out the "View from the Balcony" thread to see some of mine and many others MOC OV unit views.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Good post, except I disagree about the current prices. I think those ranges were fair a couple of years back. Right now, the cheapest Waiohai island view listing on either Redweek or the TUG Marketplace has an asking price of $8,000; the cheapest ocean view listing is for $14,995. I have wondered whether the increased prices result from Marriott's ROFR activity or whether it is a function of weeks ownership being so much cheaper than using DC points to visit Hawaii.

I was going of of what I saw on ROFR and Redweek around 6 months ago. As someone who purchased my three weeks for under $6K each, I'm very happy to hear IV is $8K. What a great investment timeshare is! (Kidding on that one.)

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was going of of what I saw on ROFR and Redweek around 6 months ago. As someone who purchased my three weeks for under $6K each, I'm very happy to hear IV is $8K. What a great investment timeshare is! (Kidding on that one.)
It's an investment in vacations :)

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
But as to the original question, I wouldn't let fear of ROFR dictate my purchase timing. Marriott's gonna Marriott. If you are willing to pay a price and someone accepts, just enter the deal and cross your fingers. Every time I've passed ROFR my first thought has been "Woo Hoo!" and my second thought has been "how much less could I have paid for this?".

That's one way to look at it, especially if your primary goal is to get the best possible deal. I look at it differently, and see it more as a balance between going through potentially multiple offers/contract/ROFR submittals to save a few bucks versus getting the deal done the first time. My recent EOY Island View Waiohai purchase is an example...an EOY Island View passed last summer at $3500, but another one failed this past January at $3750. I had a seller asking $4100, but given the January fail at $3750, I was reluctant to offer much less than $4000. I considered a $3900 offer, but eventually decided I didn't want to risk offering just $150 over a confirmed fail. My thinking was why let $100, $250, or even $500, cause me to have to find another seller, make another offer, execute another contract, etc. So, I offered $4000, it was accepted, and it passed. Might it had passed at $3800 or $3900? Maybe. But I really didn't care since I was trying to balance low price with a higher probability of passing on the first try. But then, I've never been one to spend a lot of time shopping around for the absolute best price on anything. Find a fair price and get on to the next project.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Listings don't necessarily represent sales though, ROFR info is likely a better indicator though as we've talked recently on TUG, those prices do seem to be higher the last few months especially.. The other variables, ones often overlooked in this scenario, are the other costs. Fee reimbursements and closing costs. A good value for closing costs is a little more difficult given the requirements there and the fact those requirements have force some of the better options off the table like LT Transfers. 2 years ago I bought an EOY IV for $2500 including closeting and no fee reimbursement getting the week.