• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Article about tipping in Mexico

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I came across this article that was interesting: https://www.mexperience.com/the-rea...3K1lOV5nuMKyvUcw_b_cDYMaHKMXC6QzLxEEJPzWkDVlw

This info in particular seems useful because I've always read that it's good to have a supply of small bills like $1 and $5 in US currency to tip in Mexico. Apparently that might not be the best plan according to the article.

"Why you need to tip in Mexican pesos, and not in foreign currency

The rules and regulations for exchanging foreign currency have been tightened up. For example, currency exchange houses now routinely demand to see a passport to change even small amounts of money, and not everyone here has a passport.

Foreign coins are non-exchangeable and should never be left as tips.

Always tip in cash, using Mexican pesos."

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned a while back that baggers at grocery stores get no wages. I always tell the people we travel with so they don't get left out. My sister in law got a big smile when she went back to tip the bagger in the Walmart in NV.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanks for the info.

For the past 10 years, we have used Pesos exclusively when in Mexico. We always take enough home with us for the first day of arrival on our next trip and then go to an ATM an get enough for several days. The front desk will give change into smaller bills.

Now that the Peso seems to be close to 20:$1 we leave between $50-$100 Pesos each day depending on how much they need to do. When there are just the two of us, there is not much, but if we have guests and are using both bedrooms and bathrooms there is more. We generally leave 200 Pesos on the last day because at both the Buganvilias & Mayan World, there are usually 2 doing the turn-around for the next guests.

We started the daily tipping years ago, because on the day we left, our gal was off. :( We put her tip money in an envelope and left it with the front desk with her name on it. We just hoped that she got it.

We also tip the wait staff personally. We know that when you just write the tip on the bill, it goes into a pool and then is split with all of the staff that worked that day. We certainly get better service at the pool doing it this way. :)

Last edited:

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Thanks for the info.

For the past 10 years, we have used Pesos exclusively when in Mexico. We always take enough home with us for the first day of arrival on our next trip and then go to an ATM an get enough for several days. The front desk will give change into smaller bills.

Now that the Peso seems to be close to 20:$1 we leave between $50-$100 Pesos each day depending on how much they need to do. When there are just the two of us, there is not much, but if we have guests and are using both bedrooms and bathrooms there is more. We generally leave 200 Pesos on the last day because at both the Buganvilias & Mayan World, there are usually 2 doing the turn-around for the next guests.

We started the daily tipping years ago, because on the day we left, our gal was off. :( We put her tip money in an envelope and left it with the front desk with her name on it. We just hoped that she got it.

We also tip the wait staff personally. We know that when you just write the tip on the bill, it goes into a pool and then is split with all of the staff that worked that day. We certainly get better service at the pool doing it this way. :)

If I might add to these excellent points. DO NOT put the tip on the bill or at check out because of the aforementioned split and often the house takes a cut of the tips to either pay back end wages or line the developers pocket. USD tip means the employee must go to a bank to convert their funds (long wait times) to MXN. If they convert their USD to MXN at the resort their employer uses the house rate which is always worse than the real exchange rate of the day.

Get your MXN pesos from a bank ATM and you get the benefit of the days spot Forex exchange rate vs using the hotel or a private ATM which can dispense at any exchange rate they please. Tipping is Mexico is a necessity as their wages are approximately 100 pesos/day. They pay the same grocery prices and bus fares we do and work six days a week. Be kind be generous.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
At Vidanta, we asked about the tip splitting and a waiter told us that they get 75% with the rest going to the folks at the back of the house when you add it to the bill. He didn't mind since they don't get paid much either. When we're here I tip them that way because I like that the lion's share goes to the one giving me service while those that enable that service also get something.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I agree with Phyllis. Sometimes (well quite often) the cleaning staff rotate, so I like to tip daily. I also try to hand it personally if possible only because you never really know if they get your tip if you use the envelope. I'd forgotten about the pool staff (if you tip on a credit card/room charge) vs. directly. Thanks for the reminder!!!

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If you tip in dollars, the tipee takes a significant hit when he/she goes to use them or exchange them for Pesos. Your 'hit' is much less...provided you use a bank atm and a friendly debit card...such as from USAA.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
I’ve always tipped with pesos for the folks cleaning the room, and have always added it to the bill at restaurants and pools. I never get many pesos while I’m there. Really just enough to tip the person cleaning the room, and paying for a cab to the airport. Almost everything else gets charged to the room.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes - this often the case. The staff do not work seven days a week - they have lives and families too. Often the weekday crew is off on weekends, so if you check out on Saturday or Sunday, there is a good chance that the person who cleans the room when you leave is not the person who serviced the room during your stay. We found that out one time when we forgot to tip on a Thursday, and wanted to double tip on Friday. We happened to be around when housekeeping arrived, but it was a different person, and she told us that the regular maid was off the rest of the week.

Also recognize that housekeeping is often not a year-round job. The size of the workforce changes with occupancy.

We make an effort to do introductions with the maid. Even if you speak no Spanish, exchanging names is very courteous. I speak enough Spanish to ask about family and children. I learned one time that our maid was a single mom, living with her parents. He children were in elementary school. So when were out one time, I bought some dulces (candy) for the children, and left those with the tip. I didn't leave less money - I just included the dulces along with a note that said "para tus niños".

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One time an acquaintance, who was vastly more familiar with Latin American culture, said that tipping for services is an integral part of the culture and is a bit like welfare. If you have some means, there is an expectation that you will spread some of it around via tipping. Since there isn't a public welfare system, tipping is somewhat the equivalent, with people looking to provide services as a means of getting money to survive.

I don't know how accurate that is, but it changed my thinking greatly. Instead of seeing people looking for tips as people always having a hand out (as I would with my upbringing), I started looking at as being more generous with my wealth. (and even if I don't think of myself as wealthy, I certainly am in comparison with many of the people who are providing those services.)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I learned a while back that baggers at grocery stores get no wages. I always tell the people we travel with so they don't get left out. My sister in law got a big smile when she went back to tip the bagger in the Walmart in NV.
When we've bought groceries in Mexico, the baggers have often been the children of the cashiers. Sometimes they go right to work from school - they're still wearing their school uniforms.

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
When we've bought groceries in Mexico, the baggers have often been the children of the cashiers. Sometimes they go right to work from school - they're still wearing their school uniforms.
Her at the Super Chedraui in Puerto Aventuras, they let elderly members of the local community into the store to serve as a baggers...all on a tip basis as I understand it. No children serve a baggers.