• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach was amazing!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@lizap Why do you ask such a question? See my earlier post.

Perhaps timing is the issue. When were you there? We were there during the summer peak with more crowds, more kids etc. or perhaps your perspective is influenced as an owner at HKB. Have you tried to reserve the BBQs there?

Frankly, the differences on Maui between the hotel branded resorts are not that much because they all are very nice. I would happily stay at any of them. #firstworldproblems ;)

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
@lizap Why do you ask such a question? See my earlier post.

Perhaps timing is the issue. When were you there? Perhaps it was because we were there during the summer peak with more crowds, more kids etc. or perhaps your perspective is influenced as an owner at HKB.

Frankly, the differences on Maui between the resorts are not that much because they all are very nice resorts. I would stay at any of them. #firstworldproblems ;)

Sorry, I must have missed it in your earlier post. We just returned about a week ago. I agree they are all nice. If I do not own OF at Westin, but am using SOs, I will not get OF. At least, for the time being, I can get HKB OF using Hyatt's internal system (although I suspect chances will diminish as it sells out, as owners will either use or rent).

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
There was sufficient beach (sand) in back of HKB (and this is from someone who grew up on the Gulf Coast). Of course, I am partial to the fine, white sand around Destin and Orange Beach (but it is harder to walk on).
Thank you. My husband loves that Lanai and spends a lot of time there. I love walking on the beach. It is a nice walk with always enough to see because our snorkeling days are over that we enjoyed so much.

I always enjoy watching the children learn to surf in front of the Marriott and people snorkeling or getting on or off the Catamarans in front of the Whaler Village plus the cliff divers at Black Rock. It is nice also to walk to several restaurants to have lunch or dinner without having to drive.

The Westin has a nicer reef for snorkeling or diving from what I read and there is Duke's to walk to now for lunch or dinner.

We were once on Molokai and that beach next to our cove had very fine sand too and was really hard to walk on but it was 100% isolated as we never saw one single person that whole week but we saw Monk seals right in front of us most mornings. We enjoyed it and it gave us an idea what Hawaii used to be like before the tourists came.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Thank you. My husband loves that Lanai and spends a lot of time there. I love walking on the beach. It is a nice walk with always enough to see because our snorkeling days are over that we enjoyed so much.

I always enjoy watching the children learn to surf in front of the Marriott and people snorkeling or getting on or off the Catamarans in front of the Whaler Village plus the cliff divers at Black Rock. It is nice also to walk to several restaurants to have lunch or dinner without having to drive.

The Westin has a nicer reef for snorkeling or diving from what I read and there is Duke's to walk to now for lunch or dinner.

We were once on Molokai and that beach next to our cove had very fine sand too and was really hard to walk on but it was 100% isolated as we never saw one single person that whole week but we saw Monk seals right in front of us most mornings. We enjoyed it and it gave us an idea what Hawaii used to be like before the tourists came.
We enjoyed Molokai a few years back for that very same reason.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am really happy for you that you got ocean view again.

What floor did you end up with, Tucsonadventurer? Same question for lizap too.

How is the beach in front of the Hyatt this time of the year?
The beach in front is fabulous. We ended up on the 2nd floor but the view was still good and we loved that we were close to a staircase which brought us out right by the grills and pool. We didn't have to use the elevators at all. We saw a Dec week on the site but we are out of points until Oct or would have grabbed it.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Has anyone stayed in a 1BR via an internal trade? I know there are only 9-10 units with OV and about the same with IV. I am curious which view internal traders usually get and what their experience in those units is like. Thank you.

Best regards.

Mike

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone stayed in a 1BR via an internal trade? I know there are only 9-10 units with OV and about the same with IV. I am curious which view internal traders usually get and what their experience in those units is like. Thank you.

Best regards.

Mike
We have traded twice into a 1 bedroom and both times we were able to get ocean front , once on the 4th floor and once 2nd floor but both views were still wonderful. We called and put in a request prior to arriving as well as when we made the reservation initially. The IV is still very pretty but you lose the effect of the sliding door/ whole wall opening to connect the lanai with the living space. At least that is what I read. I have not actually seen one.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have traded twice into a 1 bedroom and both times we were able to get ocean front , once on the 4th floor and once 2nd floor but both views were still wonderful. We called and put in a request prior to arriving as well as when we made the reservation initially. The IV is still very pretty but you lose the effect of the sliding door/ whole wall opening to connect the lanai with the living space. At least that is what I read. I have not actually seen one.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Mike

cafeirene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have traded in a couple of times to one-bedroom units on higher floors and actually quite like the mountain view units (i think you get a good layout on those) and i really used the lanai in the mornings especially. You also have a little less of a problem with the cross wind but of course always be aware on the upper floors if the lanai is open when you open the front door, it can slam violently. I think your space is a little laerger on the mountain view units for the bedroom (there is a Wide chair or small sofa in the bedroom that i am not sure is in the ocean view 1bdm.). I feel there is enough separation in the mountain view 1 bdrm that if you had more than two peopleit would not feel too crowded and the bathroom in hallway works well if sharing. The position at the ‘southern’* end of the building means you only have the hyatt regency beyond you and i find it quieter. I believe the end units on the upper end are wrap around lanai three bedroom units, so of course we have not been there. We have traded in (internal HRC) 3 or 4times, tho availability when you were still trading CUP seems to be very limited beyond the 6 month window (for instance i would like to trade in next May but not available units are available that far out, and we are coming down to a deadline before LCUP which we avoid like the plague...

Best regards.

Mike

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We stayed there once with Hyatt Rewards and was booked into a 1BR for a few days. For some reason, they upgraded us to 2Br for the first day and then 1BR for the remaining days. I politely told them that we would rather stay in the same unit (1BR or 2) through out our short stay, and they worked on the computer for a few minutes then put us in a 2BR for the entire stay! It was heaven. The view was fabulous, lanai is the best with the wall/doors opening all the way, and all high end appliances even though we didn't cook much. This is the best resort we have been to in my 20 some years of timesharing.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have traded in a couple of times to one-bedroom units on higher floors and actually quite like the mountain view units (i think you get a good layout on those) and i really used the lanai in the mornings especially. You also have a little less of a problem with the cross wind but of course always be aware on the upper floors if the lanai is open when you open the front door, it can slam violently. I think your space is a little laerger on the mountain view units for the bedroom (there is a Wide chair or small sofa in the bedroom that i am not sure is in the ocean view 1bdm.). I feel there is enough separation in the mountain view 1 bdrm that if you had more than two peopleit would not feel too crowded and the bathroom in hallway works well if sharing. The position at the ‘southern’* end of the building means you only have the hyatt regency beyond you and i find it quieter. I believe the end units on the upper end are wrap around lanai three bedroom units, so of course we have not been there. We have traded in (internal HRC) 3 or 4times, tho availability when you were still trading CUP seems to be very limited beyond the 6 month window (for instance i would like to trade in next May but not available units are available that far out, and we are coming down to a deadline before LCUP which we avoid like the plague...

Thank you for your insights.

Yes, I was wondering about availability, especially since there is a relatively small number of 1BR units. We would likely be trying to coordinate with our ownership at Marriott next door, which we can reserve 12-13 months in advance. It sounds like we would have to wait until at least 6 months out, at best, to get confirmed at Hyatt. We usually like to book our flights very early, so may have to change that approach too.

Best regards.

Mike

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your insights.

Yes, I was wondering about availability, especially since there is a relatively small number of 1BR units. We would likely be trying to coordinate with our ownership at Marriott next door, which we can reserve 12-13 months in advance. It sounds like we would have to wait until at least 6 months out, at best, to get confirmed at Hyatt. We usually like to book our flights very early, so may have to change that approach too.

Best regards.

Mike
It is difficult to get a 1 bedroom especially during prime times. I saw a week for early Dec and there were some for late May this year, which are usually more open times for Maui. You would have better luck with availability in a 2 bedroom. We rarely have saved enough points for a week in a 2 bedroom so try for a 4 day midweek and use the hotel next door to cover the other days. That would be a lot of moving though. Good luck. You will love the resort, by far my favorite Hawaii resort

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks. Yes, I assumed there would’ve more availability in a 2BR, which would then guarantee an OV unit. We usually go to Hawaii in late April, some time in June, or late October. Those tend to be shoulder months but still busy, so may be a possibility.

Best regards.

Mike

taffy19

Reaction score

Best regards.

Mike
There are 10 1 BR ocean view condos and 9 1 BR mountain view condos. I asked TUGBrian to correct my mistake in one of the pink stickies because I couldn't add up properly. :oops:

This picture will explain it clearly and the view categories too of the 1, 2 and 3 BR condos at this resort.

i-9LWxvRV.png

The original brochure we received was different from this one but I will find it again and scan it. We never saw a professional floorpan of the 1 BR mountain view condo but I posted a few picture links of my Smugmug albums in this old thread of 2015. Time flies!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks Emmy. Much appreciated.

Mike

taffy19

Reaction score
Thanks Emmy. Much appreciated.

Mike
You are welcome but I see now that there is no color code or even a mention of the 9 1BR mountain view condos in this brochure so no wonder that the figures were off.

However, they were selling them right from the beginning because I still have the price sheet from when it belonged to the original HRC before ILG bought it. It is hard to keep up with all the changes in this industry as there may be another change again soon and hopefully one that the timeshare owners are happy with.

cafeirene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I assumed there would’ve more availability in a 2BR, which would then guarantee an OV unit. We usually go to Hawaii in late April, some time in June, or late October. Those tend to be shoulder months but still busy, so may be a possibility.

Best regards.

Mike
still was seeing 2 and 3 night stays in September and some into mid December at Ka'anapali. I personally think 3 night stays are the worst value for your points, especially if you have mid week flexibility.

Not seeing availability beyond May 2019 as a search option on the (lower screen) button section, tho you CAN USE the upper section of date windows to see much further out! I am seeing a 1 bdrm 2 night stay available for Aug 2 2018, and a 2 night 2 bdrm stay July 12 2018, July 17 and July 26 2018 (using HRC, not Portfolio).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
still was seeing 2 and 3 night stays in September and some into mid December at Ka'anapali. I personally think 3 night stays are the worst value for your points, especially if you have mid week flexibility...

Does Hyatt have a required minimum number of nights? Can a Hyatt owner book a single night?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if you want to do it thru HPP (Portfolio), that is an option tho I have not done it (and would not pay extra to do so).
You cannot book 1 day at Kaanapali however as it is not a part of portfolio.

cafeirene

TUG Member
Reaction score
You cannot book 1 day at Kaanapali however as it is not a part of portfolio.
Yes. Good point. I had just been looking at a combined search including both Maui and Carmel, and forgot that important detail in my reply. If you really are looking for just one night, I would just look next door at the Hyatt Regency. I have used a night at the Regency to pad out a short stay of only 2 days at the Ka'anapali property, to make it worthwhile being at that end of the island. For single night stays with a kitchen on Maui, I would also recommend you consider the newly built (Marriott) Residence Inn in Wailea. it is walking distance from Monkeypod, has a shuttle to several decent beaches and of course the large Marriott property in Wailea, and offers not only decent kitchens, but an included breakfast. For a short stay to bridge between timeshares or other factors, it was an exceptionally good value.

That said, I like the Hyatt Ka'anapali property quietness much more than the Hyatt Regency next door, even tho I am not as fond of that end of Maui. And...it is a short drive to Star Noodle!

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Good point. I had just been looking at a combined search including both Maui and Carmel, and forgot that important detail in my reply. If you really are looking for just one night, I would just look next door at the Hyatt Regency. I have used a night at the Regency to pad out a short stay of only 2 days at the Ka'anapali property, to make it worthwhile being at that end of the island. For single night stays with a kitchen on Maui, I would also recommend you consider the newly built (Marriott) Residence Inn in Wailea. it is walking distance from Monkeypod, has a shuttle to several decent beaches and of course the large Marriott property in Wailea, and offers not only decent kitchens, but an included breakfast. For a short stay to bridge between timeshares or other factors, it was an exceptionally good value.

That said, I like the Hyatt Ka'anapali property quietness much more than the Hyatt Regency next door, even tho I am not as fond of that end of Maui. And...it is a short drive to Star Noodle!

We ate at Star Noodle again on our last visit. The service was not good, and the food was just ok. Not nearly as good as usual. Hope they were having an off night.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
1. Only 131 units
Feels like a lot more with the hotel right next door, and MOC on the other side.

If so few units, why was it such a hassle and we had to make appointment for the BBQs? At HGVC Kingsland they have enough BBQs that you can use whenever you want.

2. Exclusive feel
IMO I did not get this feeling. By comparison, I feel more welcomed and exclusive on my HGVC visits. Perhaps because they treat owners differently? .

3. Not crowded (compared to other TSs on Maui)
Boardwalk in front was always crowded. Difficultly running in the early morning because of crowds. Westin does not have as many crowds on boardwalk.
Westin pools are more crowded. I liked that we could get chairs late morning at the Hyatt pool.

4. Adjacent to Hyatt Regency (which has mall, restaurants)
This adds to the crowded feeling. But nice to walk to this and Whalers.

5. All 2 BRs have fabulous ocean view
Not as nice as OFC, OFD at Westin and MOC OF which are directly in front of the ocean and don't have a noisy pool, plus yoga classes and kids activities between the lanai and the beach.

We were there in late June so perhaps the pool etc was noisier with kids on summer break.

6. Wide lanai with retractable sliding door
Loved this.

7. Lanai furnished with table, chairs, and lounge chair
Nice but other Maui TSs have this also albeit with not as nice furnishings.

8. Unit has high quality furnishings
Agree

9. Upscale appliances
Agree

10. Upscale lobby
Yes but other TS are nice too. Who spends time in the lobby anyway?

11. Nice, wide beach area
IMO Westin nicer less crowded. But both are nice (splitting hairs).

12. Best beach location
IMO Westin nicer. The Hyatt beach was crowded and thin when we visited last summer.

Etc..

Ritz Carlton Residences Aspen resale units not comparable to HKB. Those are fractional units whose original cost/resale values were much higher than HKB.

It is all relative - prices at RC declined by 80% which is in ballpark with other TS resale. Marriott acquisition uncertainty and potential to dilute with points programs will hasten this as owners get nervous and sell out before prices plummet.
This was a very interesting exchange of ideas about the merits of the Westin TS’s on Maui vs the Hyatt. We are waiting on an EOYO 2/2 Week 39 to be added to our account, all closing paperwork and transfer fee were mailed to Hyatt last week. We looked seriously at MOC (Lahaina and Napili towers), WKORV and WKORVN, and the Hyatt to use with our EOYO Ko’Olina and Waiohai. They were all similarly priced, in the $15K-$20K asking price. We purchased our HKB for $15K, but spit the closing/transfer fee with the seller which saved us about $750 (asking price was $20K.) We are seeing similar actually sales at the Westin’s and the MOC (significant discounts from asking price).
We decided to purchase the Hyatt because 1. the Week 39 works perfectly for travel with one of my daughters and her husband; 2. The Lanai and the effect on the living room (we ruled out MOC because of the lack of Lanai use from the living room; and 3. the Hyatt’s location, walkability to Whalers Village and quick access to the the Hyatt Regency Maui and the MOC.
All that being said, we are now looking again for an EOYE Westin, MOC (Old towers) or Hyatt for a quick “Hawaii week” fix while waiting for our Odd year 3 week stay.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are here now on an exchange from Pinon Pointe. We started with a 2 day reservation in a 2 bedroom on the 9th floor with incredible views. We are now in a 1 bedroom 4th floor. ocean side. It is a little blocked by the trees but still incredible. I think the 2 bedroom view is not as blocked as you are under the foliage. We have one more week and it looks like we will get an island view unless the shark attack scares some folks off and they have cancellations. The beach is perfect right now but we are noticing less folks in there. When we go in we are staying close to shore and near others.

taffy19

Reaction score
We are here now on an exchange from Pinon Pointe. We started with a 2 day reservation in a 2 bedroom on the 9th floor with incredible views. We are now in a 1 bedroom 4th floor. ocean side. It is a little blocked by the trees but still incredible. I think the 2 bedroom view is not as blocked as you are under the foliage. We have one more week and it looks like we will get an island view unless the shark attack scares some folks off and they have cancellations. The beach is perfect right now but we are noticing less folks in there. When we go in we are staying close to shore and near others.
Good for you that you managed to get ocean view in the 1 BR condo. :cool:

Please, post a picture of the palm trees directly in front of you and to the right where you have a clear view of the beach and ocean in this thread or later when you are home. TIA.

All ninth floor views in the 1, 2 and 3 BR condos have spectacular ocean views! What unit number are you staying at?

Post later if you feel more secure with that. Have a great vacation in Maui. :) Our turn is far away yet but always looking forward to it all year long.