• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Problems with SFX

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - They have given me the opportunity to check airfare before confirming a match. I think that there is some flexibility there if you ask (of course that requires a response from them).

I believe that one of their deposit benefits is to reinstate an expired deposit so if one of the easier exchanges through them ever appeals to you in the future, you can get this deposit back. In my mind (i.e. not scientific, lol) the most likely trades through SFX are Mexico, San Francisco, and Hawaii.

Yes, that is something to keep in mind but I am rather hesitant to give them another week. Originally, I thought we'd go to San Francisco this summer and was hoping to get an exchange there but then the kids didn't want to fly that far...

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
For several years I have used SFX to get into Grand Luxxe, Riviera Maya in January at least a year in advance. Not for 2020. Not too unhappy as we are undecided if we want visit again. I was offered Hacienda del Mar in Cabo.
We will probably not make any more deposits to SFX. I guess I need to change my TUG photo!

Yes, I am wondering whether they changed the way they work. It worked fine for me at first but now it seems they don't even want to bother. They never make any suggestions of possible requests that work or offer anything a bit different.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never had luck with SFX. But I'm a teacher with restricted travel dates. That being said, I have always gotten great trades with RCI and II. I get emails every so often from SFX, but I will not ever use them again...

Our travel dates are restricted as well as kids are still in school. Our summer vacation goes until early September though which should help but unfortunately my deposit expires before then. I haven't tried II yet but was quite happy with RCI last year. I got exactly what I wanted. I think I could probably get most weeks for next year and even if I don't plan ahead I could find something that sounds good online.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fact is that they have inventory you cannot see and so if you knew it was there, you would be more likely to open your mind a bit to something new. I know that II will have places that I don't think about going, and then suddenly I see something and book it.

That is exactly how I feel. I am pretty open as far as destinations go (just really restricted due to holidays). I would prefer to stay in Europe this year but would consider something on the East Coast that can be combined with a cruise. But for that I would need to see what is there as not everything will work with flight/cruise schedules. I asked for New York City or Alexandria but there are other places that might work (e.g. Boston, maybe some other places in New England, maybe even Miami though we went to Florida last year, or Puerto Rico if I could get a good flight and cruise or…). But I can't request all of that with SFX as depending on the specifics it might NOT work.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I posted a nice Kingsland sighting in SFX on the Sightings board. I know that some of you are sitting on deposits - maybe someone can use this week. It says that it is available for exchange or cash.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Eric you are correct, there is no exchange fee with resort escapes. They are last minute rentals, not an exchange, and you don't have to be upgraded to diamond membership either. If I recall correctly, you should be able to use an escapes week for an exchange. Seems like Bill has it confused?

Juli

Not confused. :thumbup:

I saw a resort escape that I thought I could use my deposit for. My deposit is a one bedroom prime week that expires in about 9 months.

The escape is a two bed unit so I have to pay an upgrade fee for unit size difference and the exchange fee which together cost about $408.00.

My other option was to become a diamond member for $399.00 and then the cost of the escape dropped to about $400.00 which means this week would cost almost $800.00.

The only reason I thought about taking this unit was to use up my deposit.

Then I asked to do an ongoing search but found that there were only two bed units in the area I wanted to go and the timing of my deposit came into play. However, if I upgraded to diamond the unit size, dates and exchange fee drop.

So my call to SFX became a sales pitch to upgrade to diamond. Eventually I might have to if I don't want to loose my deposit, lol.

Bill