• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Week Ownership - Tell me, is it a thing of the past?

Banana20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mountain Laurel Villas (Sapphire Valley 0590)
Is it true, it is harder and harder to exchange when you own a fixed week ?

1. Is the problem with RCI? and Exchange with Weeks?

Appreciate your insight.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It is true that some exchanges are different. Vistana doesn't bulk bank they way they did five years ago -- but I am still able to do Vistana exchanges. One must remain diligent, but we have continued to get the exchanges we want so far.

It sounds like some salesperson is trying to persuade you that exchanges are a thing of the past and you need to buy whatever it is that s/he is selling. Well, the sky is NOT falling.

Banana20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the response!
BTW I see your snapshot is of a baseball field. Do you know an easy way (other than mapping) to look for timeshares closest to the Major League Ball Fields?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
What a fun idea -- timesharing to watch baseball. And it would work because most home stands are about a week in duration.

I cannot help you with location. I can say that none of the San Francisco timeshares are within an easy walk of the baseball stadium (the Ritz Carlton Club is about a twenty minute walk, the Donatello and the Inn at the Opera are perhaps 25 minutes, Fisherman's Wharf about 35 minutes, and Jackson Court about 45).

Last edited:

Banana20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh Okay, yes we are trying to see the different ball fields around the states. Luckily there are always minor leagues. We just saw the Angels Farm team the Bees in Utah and in Las Vegas we saw the LA Dodgers Farm Team 51s but I think they are the Aviators now, and so on and so forth. The minor league stadiums are usually a good buy too. Good Times!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Is it true, it is harder and harder to exchange when you own a fixed week ?

1. Is the problem with RCI? and Exchange with Weeks?

Appreciate your insight.
It depends where and when you own. Higher demand areas and times still get great trades. I prefer my guaranteed fixed weeks and when I want to trade they trade well.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the trend is toward points and flexibility. However, saying that there will always be a market for those of us that want a particular week at a particular time. I am guessing a lot of the trend is the pushing of the week to points upgrade cash flow.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am happy with my fixed week. I don't have to worry about it, I would enjoy using it (and it is during vacation time so it is also possible), pretty sure I could rent it at least for mf if I wanted to do so. I get a decent number of TPU so far that I could get at least one or two weeks in exchange. So all pretty good as far as I am concerned.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
FWIW, it may be "harder and harder" to Exchange weeks ... but the same is true of Points systems, also.

Developers are building to de-value Points Systems so that what you buy and own today is less effective in years to come. Points systems might "flood" the market with expensive, high-end unit types that generate huge quantities of points for them to sell ... while the average owner will not hold sufficient points to book such a large, deluxe unit; creating more competition at legacy locations and unit types w/in the system. Point systems might also change the rules regarding reservations, again making it more difficult for the average owner while claiming they did owners a benefit by restricting the "evil owner who rents their timeshare excessively." At least with a Fixed Week, especially if you like the resort you've purchased, you can always go back and use that resort week.

Basically, both sides get "harder and harder" for the average owner as the developer works harder to skew the game in their favor, increasing direct sales and side-game revenue (rentals from the developer).

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My most satisfying TS years were when I owned Fixed Weeks/Fixed Units at six Independent HOA Controlled Resorts. The cost to purchase was right; the MFs were reasonable; locations were great; Managements were easy to work with; and travel planning was simplified...

George

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
My most satisfying TS years were when I owned Fixed Weeks/Fixed Units at six Independent HOA Controlled Resorts. The cost to purchase was right; the MFs were reasonable; locations were great; Managements were easy to work with; and travel planning was simplified...

George

Although I too own a fixed week, I have never used it - at the resort the week belongs to. We have always deposited and traded.

Part of this is because the week is in Florida - in August! No thanks! But the week still brings value as part of the PIC process into Wyndham.
However, I like what George suggests here - if a person could identify and choose their favorite vacation destinations and wanted to return to them each year vacation planning would get a LOT easier!
That approach may not work for everyone, but I can easily see the allure to this approach.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think fixed weeks are a thing of the past for staying or trading. I do think that might seem more like a sales angle. I have worked on our own blend of fixed and points and, while I like our points, I love the fixed weeks.

I have two fixed summer weeks - one in NH and one on Cape Cod - and Wyndham points. We use one fixed week every year and the other every other year or so. On the off year we use the TPUs and get at least two weeks in RCI for trade. The fixed week we use every year was originally in RCI points but we took it out because we loved the week/unit we bought. We bought where we wanted to go but maintained flexibility. My children love both places and will probably keep them both. Our Wyndham points are in Florida at Bonnet Creek and we will use that often enough (every few years) that I feel like I bought even that where I wanted to go. Every once in a while, timeshares come up (usually when I come back from someplace good) and people ask about them. I rave but then I always, always tell them I leaned from the masters - TUGggers! Buy where you stay, plan ahead, stay flexible and "create" the portfolio that works for you.

As for trading to go to ballparks - brilliant! My husband and I usually try to connect them with other vacations and/or business trips (by far the best way) but this has some potential I hadn't particularly considered.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I don't think fixed weeks are a thing of the past for staying or trading. I do think that might seem more like a sales angle. I have worked on our own blend of fixed and points and, while I like our points, I love the fixed weeks .
A blend of fixed weeks and points has worked for me too. There are some resorts that I know I always want to go to the same time each year. Owning that fixed weeks guarantees I will be there, no hoping the week I want will be available in trade or in the point system I own, especially for those high demand resorts and high demand weeks. My point membership in hgvc give me the flexibility to go elsewhere if I choose.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto: I have fixed weeks that I use every year, I have some I trade, and I have Wyndham points.

I trade into 4-6 weeks every year - just need to be patient and not expect a 3 bedroom jewel for a studio mud season !

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a fixed week that we also used every year. There are some fixed week that are very powerful for exchanging purposes example the week of Fourth of July, Spring Break week, Christmas week just to name a few.

Location, Location and Location is still very important.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I own a LOT of timeshare points in different systems. I love the flexibility of different locations, different unit sizes and different lengths of stay. I also have half my fun planning.

As such, I was mystified by the appeal of fixed weeks for a long time. However, I’m beginning to get an appreciation of the appeal to people for various reasons.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I own a LOT of timeshare points in different systems. I love the flexibility of different locations, different unit sizes and different lengths of stay. I also have half my fun planning.

As such, I was mystified by the appeal of fixed weeks for a long time. However, I’m beginning to get an appreciation of the appeal to people for various reasons.

And certainly as one's TS portfolio grows, considering a mixture of weeks and points is prudent.