• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golf Cart Insurance

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just rejoined a country club and decided to get a golf cart. We have AAA for auto, home and umbrella insurance but they do not sell golf cart insurance.

Any TUGgers have golf cart insurance policies and if so, please share name of insurance companies and any other info?

Thank you!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
We have insurance on our UTV.

Ask your agent for UTV or ATV insurance.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Multiple hits on a Google Search for Golf Cart Insurance.

Richard

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Probably much more money then golf cart insurance.

$135/year

OP: If you don't find something, let us know and I'll ask around the golf course. Frankly, I had never thought about golf cart insurance except at places like The Villages.

I just googled "Golf Cart Insurance" and it looks like most of the normal suspects offer it, and you can get quotes online. Here's one: https://www.safeco.com/products/golf-cart-insurance

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It might (probably would) depend on whether you just want insurance for while you're on a golf course, but if you drive it on public roads, it would need much more liability and personal injury insurance. If you are trailering it to the golf course, it would be covered by the tow vehicle's insurance.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If insurance is required by the club then they could probably recommend someone who provides it. Probably another member.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We need minimum 100K liability insurance on this as required by the club.
Liability for driving a golf course on private property (golf club) may be covered by your homeowner liability policy. See if golf carts are excluded and if so then ask them how much it would be to add a rider.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Liability for driving a golf course on private property (golf club) may be covered by your homeowner liability policy. See if golf carts are excluded and if so then ask them how much it would be to add a rider.
From everything I read, homeowners insurance limited coverage is insufficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrQ

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
From everything I read, homeowners insurance limited coverage is insufficient.
I do this for a living, and don't know what "homeowners insurance limited coverage" means, and have never heard that term. Many HO policies provide liability coverage for golf carts on private property. If they are requesting an additional insured endorsement, this would be provided by your carrier at a minimal cost if any. Who is your HO carrier? What state are you in? Have you read the policy?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do this for a living, and don't know what "homeowners insurance limited coverage" means, and have never heard that term. Many HO policies provide liability coverage for golf carts on private property. If they are requesting an additional insured endorsement, this would be provided by your carrier at a minimal cost if any. Who is your HO carrier? What state are you in? Have you read the policy?
AAA is the carrier. They said they do not cover golf cart use on the golf course. The golf course requires $100K liability insurance on our private cart for it to be used on their property. We also need to drive the golf cart from our community to public streets to the golf club.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Our golf cart is a low speed vehicle. We don’t golf. But we wanted to drive it at night since we use it in town for just about everything. Our insurance is with AIG but they may cover because it is a LSV.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Being in the golf business, the first thing I thought of is that it would be covered under the liability portion of your homeowner's policy. You, as a golf, are.

&, I forgot to ask others at the club today. I was busy.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It may have some limited coverage while it is in the confines of your property under homeowners insurance, but the issue is coverage when it leaves that sphere of protection.
Our golf cart is a low speed vehicle. We don’t golf. But we wanted to drive it at night since we use it in town for just about everything. Our insurance is with AIG but they may cover because it is a LSV.
I think this advice is on point.

See this page on insurance

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday we made another call to AAA and found someone more knowledgeable. AAA does not cover golf cart but works with 2 Insurance Companies that will underwrite golf cart insurance - Progressive and American Modern.

We went down to the local AAA office and got a 250K/500K comprehensive policy through American Modern. AAA's umbrella policy requires 250K/500K liability on other policies so we decided to increase the amount so that the umbrella policy will cover accidents related to the golf cart.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Speaking of Umbrella policies, how many of you have one?

We first got one with our well-known insurance company probably 15 or 20 years ago, and they cancelled it when we actually had to use it. :confused: It saved us thousands of dollars in legal fees for a vexatious lawsuit, settled in our favor.

Nowadays we have policies in multiple locations and insurors, so we have a PUP from Hudson . . . personalumbrella.com . . . that applies to all of them, provided we have the required coverages on the various base policies. $850 for $2 Million. It just renewed, and I noticed that it does not cover identity theft.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We've had an umbrella policy since shortly after we were married. Just seemed like a good thing to have and was very cheap since it was an add-on to our home and auto insurance.

Kurt

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Before we moved, our umbrella policy which covered $2M through State Farm cost $500. Ours now through AAA costs $225 for $2M.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We have a $4 million umbrella policy through Aon with a premium of $870 this year.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
All of DW and my SS goes to pay for insurance.

:(