• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flying to Tokyo

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am flying to Tokyo (direct from Chicago) in a few weeks. I have flown to Europe before , but never Asia and am feeling anxious about the length of the flight. Any suggestions on how to make the flight bearable ? The though of being cooped up for so long is not something I'm looking forward to. I'd also love any suggestions to best manage jet lag. I am leaving Chicago on a Monday midday and arrive Tokyo Tuesday 3:30 pm.

Other than the flight and the jet lag, I am SO EXCITED about this trip. Something I've been planning for and dreaming about for a long time.

Thank you experienced travelers!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good noise cancelling headphones. Eye mask. A book. If possible try to reset your internal clock at least a few hours ahead. Try some melatonin- for many it makes them sleepier when you turn off the lights. On the flight, stay hydrated, but not with alcohol. Wear compression socks. Try to get out of your seat periodically and walk up one aisle, cross over and walk down the other one.

Most airlines will feed you shortly after you get airborne, then darken the cabin, and a couple of hours before landing, they'll come around with hot towels and a light breakfast. Assuming you are landing at Narita, there is a 'Narita Express' train on the lower level of the terminal to take you into Tokyo.

There are few signs in English, but many people speak some and will readily help you if you look perplexed and have a map or guidebook out- otherwise they'll ignore you. When you get to your hotel, take a card from the desk with the name and address in Kanji so you can show it to taxi drivers who may not understand English.

Have fun! We will be going back to Japan, Korea, and Taiwan in the Fall.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Cornell - What brings/sends/takes you to Tokyo? We hope to go there one day as well...

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bbodb1-- Traveling for pleasure with my 16 year old daughter. We have been dreaming about a "big trip" during her high school years and after lots of discussion and consideration of many destinations, we settled in on Japan. Just the two of us and there are things about Japan that appeal to each of us so there should be plenty to keep both of us happy. I cannot wait!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Have a great time.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Cornell - Outstanding, hope y'all enjoy the trip!

I could spend months in Japan as I have been fascinated by the country since college. In order to satisfy the final few history hours requirement for graduation, I eschewed the general survey courses and took a course called War in the Pacific: 1931-1945. At first glance, most would think this was a misprint but in reading the course description here (finally) was a course that would explore a topic in depth. I was hooked. While we did cover portions of the war from the American point of view, the bulk of the course was dedicated to understanding the mythos of Tokugawa Japan and how those influences were still present in the Japan of the 20th century. We watched a few films, read a few books (two quickly come to mind - Snow Falling on Cedars and Memoirs of a Geisha) but what made the course so darn good was the professor. He was very into the material and went few above and beyond what the usual professors would do for a higher level course. Many pictures (and some of the films) showed Japanese countrysides that were breathtakingly beautiful.

Yes....I could spend months there.

I know y'all will enjoy this - safe travels and make a lifetime of memories!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bbodb1 Ah - Love your post. I have read both of the books -- had forgotten about Snow Falling on Cedars. I may need to re-read it. There are a lot of cultural aspects about the Japanese that make this trip very appealing to me but most of all, I love Japanese gardens. My daughter loves big cities and the energy that surrounds them. So I really think this will be a wonderful trip.

My daughter has an incredible period in her life coming up. Besides this trip with her mom, she leaves in August to be an exchange student for her entire junior year in Switzerland. She will live with a host family and attend a local Swiss high school. I will not see her for a year! She is incredibly mature and brave. I would have never had the guts to do what she is doing at her age.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
@bbodb1 Ah - Love your post. I have read both of the books -- had forgotten about Snow Falling on Cedars. I may need to re-read it. There are a lot of cultural aspects about the Japanese that make this trip very appealing to me but most of all, I love Japanese gardens. My daughter loves big cities and the energy that surrounds them. So I really think this will be a wonderful trip.

My daughter has an incredible period in her life coming up. Besides this trip with her mom, she leaves in August to be an exchange student for her entire junior year in Switzerland. She will live with a host family and attend a local Swiss high school. I will not see her for a year! She is incredibly mature and brave. I would have never had the guts to do what she is doing at her age.

If you looked into planning a week trip over close to the midpoint of her stay in Switzerland or during one of her school breaks. Maybe meet in Paris?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you looked into planning a week trip over close to the midpoint of her stay in Switzerland or during one of her school breaks. Maybe meet in Paris?
The exchange program really discourages parent visits. It really sets the kids back w/their homesickness. I will visit her at the end of her trip next summer!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops. Duplicate. [Deleted]

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like I did it twice! [Bye]

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My DW's youngest did AFS in Bern Switzerland some 25 years ago. He grew both physically, and mentally with the experience. When he left, he didn't know 'danke' and 'bitte'. His host family insisted he communicate in Hauptdeutsch as they did. He has a propensity for languages, so learned Switzerdeutsche, Slovenian, Danish as well as several computer languages. He got a degree in Comparative Literature in German (most take it in their native language).

I suspect your daughter will likewise become a comfortable citizen of the world. May she go far to fulfill her dreams and make the world a better place.I

But I digress. We have found Japan a very approachable place for independent travel. We are looking forward to our upcoming return. Some of it is kind boggling- like gigantic parking garages with thousands of bicycles- and Most of them unlocked! Or standing on a corner very late at night- absolutely ZERO traffic. And the Japanese waited on the sidewalk for a green 'walk' light!
It's just so amazingly disciplined.

Jim

Jim
Ah -- Thank you Jim! So many people think I'm absolutely nuts to let my daughter do this, but I would never let her if I didn't think she could succeed.

Part of what appeals to me about Japan, is what you describe -- very little street crime. And organized, discplined. Should be wonderful!

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I taught English in Japan and did my dissertation research in Japan. I love Japan. We did a 3 week family vacation 2 years ago and the kids had a blast. Are you traveling beyond Tokyo (I hope so). If so, be sure to get your rail pass BEFORE you leave the US.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I taught English in Japan and did my dissertation research in Japan. I love Japan. We did a 3 week family vacation 2 years ago and the kids had a blast. Are you traveling beyond Tokyo (I hope so). If so, be sure to get your rail pass BEFORE you leave the US.
Yes -- we are traveling to Kyoto for 3 days. And our Japan Rail pass is already purchased :)

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Good noise cancelling headphones. Eye mask. A book. If possible try to reset your internal clock at least a few hours ahead. Try some melatonin- for many it makes them sleepier when you turn off the lights. On the flight, stay hydrated, but not with alcohol. Wear compression socks. Try to get out of your seat periodically and walk up one aisle, cross over and walk down the other one.

Most airlines will feed you shortly after you get airborne, then darken the cabin, and a couple of hours before landing, they'll come around with hot towels and a light breakfast. Assuming you are landing at Narita, there is a 'Narita Express' train on the lower level of the terminal to take you into Tokyo.

There are few signs in English, but many people speak some and will readily help you if you look perplexed and have a map or guidebook out- otherwise they'll ignore you. When you get to your hotel, take a card from the desk with the name and address in Kanji so you can show it to taxi drivers who may not understand English.
Jim

We made a trip to Japan a couple of years ago, and it is a looooonnnnggg flight, but I would agree with Jim's recommendations. If you think you might want to use melatonin, I'd try that one night before you leave, because some people find it affects them oddly. It did take us several days to get acclimated to the time, although we plowed through and got out and going every day on local time.

We had one experience on our trip that I still remember fondly. Many of the metro stations also include a large underground shopping area. We were in one in one of the larger cities and couldn't figure out where the actual subway entrance was. We stopped an older woman and asked. She smiled, said politely "I don't speak English," then flagged down two teenage girls. We repeated the question to them but they didn't know either, so they translated the question for the woman. We smiled, gestured for us to follow her and lead us several blocks through the underground maze to deliver us to the subway entrance gates before waving goodby to us. It was a sweet moment of connection for us.