• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Skipping flight destination for better price question

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to fly from Charlotte to Hawaii (koa). Here is the issue-

Flight path for option 1 - $1,044
Departing: CLT to DFW to KOA
Returning: same but reversed

Flight path for option 2 - $791
Departing: RDU to Clt to DFW to KOA
Reverse: same but reversed

Here is the question- can I purchase option 2 and not use the RDU flights? Will they let me on the plane knowing I did not start at RDU? Just start and end using the CLT portion of the trips?

Thank you!!!

flnewbie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smoketree Lodge, Banner Elk NC, Cranberry Gold Resort, Ontario, Canada Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Williamsburg
No, if you are a no show for the originating flight in RDU they will cancel all remaining flights as well.

DRIless

Reaction score
NO. What he said.

You can do it on the return, skipping last leg. I used to do this going from Washington DC to Seattle. Flights out of BWI went to IAD then SEA, much cheaper than the IAD-SEA flight. On the return I'd get off and stay off at IAD.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
And you can't check baggage on the return because it'll go to RDU. Also, allegedly, people who try this more than occasionally have their frequent flyer accounts closed. One airline in Europe is even suing.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
The bigger question, in my mind, is what is the justification for charging more for option 1? How does adding a leg from RDU reduce costs by $300?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No way to figure this out.
A one-way flight from Maui to Santa Ana with a stop in SFO was $199. Direct to SFO, same flight, is $289.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The bigger question, in my mind, is what is the justification for charging more for option 1? How does adding a leg from RDU reduce costs by $300?

Airlines don't price tickets based on what it costs to operate the flight, they price them based on supply and demand for flights.

A connecting flight is a less desirable way to travel, and there are typically multiple options between two cities through a variety of hubs.

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. It seems like such a racket - what a bummer. .. It still will be a lot be cheaper even if I just use a rental car to drive to Raleigh for the departing flight and dump the Raleigh flight on the way home. We will have to all use carry on bags but it will be nice that the the timeshare will have washers/dryers. I will still keep watching prices but will have to buy soon. Thanks again!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last I checked - Southwest was still one of the only airlines that allow for hidden city ticketing. As long as you are carry on and you are missing the end of your route, fine with them. You can't miss the beginning as OP is questioning.