• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to Orlando in August Need recommendations

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to Orlando with my family youngest is a teenager. We will be staying at Summer Bay. We plan to go to Animal Kingdom one day, we have never been so looking for tips. Also Gator World and ??? I have combed the forums, just want then to have a great time at animal kingdom. We went to Universal last year and it was just so so. Any tips would be helpful.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Animal Kingdom in August will be very hot and humid. Take rain ponchos that can fit in your backpack or bag for those unexpected rain showers. Also take a portable water bottle that you can refill at the water fountains in the parks. Bottled water is expensive. Remember to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen. Animal Kingdom is laid out in a way that you will do a lot of walking to see it all. Plan on being there for several hours. I liked Animal Kingdom, but my favorite parks are Magic Kingdom and MGM Studios. Feel they have more to see and do for all ages. I've never been to Gator World so can't help you there. Word of caution: only buy your tickets either online thru the parks websites or at the gate. There are a lot of ticket scams in Orlando. Hope this helps.
Suzanne

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Part of what might help to make a better recommendation would be for you to tell us more about why you found Universal just so so. Did your party visit both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure?

And Suzanne is spot on correct about the heat and humidity of August.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Make sure to buy tickets in advance and make fast passes at 30 days out. As you are offsite, Pandora flight of passage might not be available (on-site gets 60 day fp). If you go by 9:30 am, just wait in line for safari. We use fp for kali rapids midday Everest and dinosaur and you might get pandora river ride. If so then ditch dinosaur and wait in line for dinosaur in early am before going to safari or later in evening. Get in line 15 minutes before closing to ride flight of passage. All of my teens and dh think it’s the best ride in Wdw. Everest has a secret single rider entrance by the gift shop so you can ride again if anyone wants to. The train to veterinary hospital is god to do after safari. No fp needed and usually no line. The shows Nemo and lion king are great. No need for fp. Save for mid afternoon when it’s hot.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Definitely get Fast Passes at 30 days out. Prolly no Flight of Passage.
But do get 'em for Na'vi River Journey, River Rapids, and Safari.

Lunch at Rainforest Cafe would be a treat, but I also like Yak & Yeti.

Wear breathable hats, and douse yourself with water once an hour.

714768PohcL._SX425_.jpg

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
If you're there for the animals try to get a fast pass for the Kilimanjaro Safari. The main thrill rides are Expedition Everest, Avatar Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, then the lesser Na'vi River Journey, and the video It's Tough to be a Bug. Get what you can and wait for the rest! Also see the Lion King show, but don't waste a fast pass on it. There are many seats in this theater. My favorite drink in all of Disney is back there by the safari ride - it's called "LOST ON SAFARI". For dinner, try TIFFIN'S, near the entrance to Avatar!

Also, don't wear cotton tees in August. Go to a place like West Marine (or .com) and get some technical wear (like UNDER ARMOR) that will wick your sweat and evaporate it to cool you down. If you wear cotton you will feel like you have a wet towel on you all day. Don't do it.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Definitely get Fast Passes at 30 days out. Prolly no Flight of Passage.
But do get 'em for Na'vi River Journey, River Rapids, and Safari.

Lunch at Rainforest Cafe would be a treat, but I also like Yak & Yeti.

Wear breathable hats, and douse yourself with water once an hour.

714768PohcL._SX425_.jpg

hour? :eek:

Minute! o_O :thumbup: :whooopie:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you're there for the animals try to get a fast pass for the Kilimanjaro Safari. The main thrill rides are Expedition Everest, Avatar Flight of Passage, Dinosaur, then the lesser Na'vi River Journey, and the video It's Tough to be a Bug. Get what you can and wait for the rest! Also see the Lion King show, but don't waste a fast pass on it. There are many seats in this theater. My favorite drink in all of Disney is back there by the safari ride - it's called "LOST ON SAFARI". For dinner, try TIFFIN'S, near the entrance to Avatar!

Also, don't wear cotton tees in August. Go to a place like West Marine (or .com) and get some technical wear that will wick your sweat and evaporate it to cool you down. If you wear cotton you will feel like you have a wet towel on you all day. Don't do it.

Remember : cotton kills!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Absofreakinlutely! Under Armor for the win!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Likely no need for fp for safari if you get in line by 9:30 am. At summer bay, you’re close enough to go back via sherbeth road for a midday swim if akv is open later at night to return.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It’s Gatorland in Kissimmee

islandog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Gator Land about 10 years ago. Woo that smell!! It is not a very exciting place unless you really like gators and wrestling (they are always walking down my drive way and I am afraid they will eat my dog so I am not a big fan.) We did an air boat ride several years ago and that was fun. Eat at Hash a Gogo near Bass Pro. It is an experience.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This is not in Orlando, but if you have the time and inclination, Kennedy Space Center is fascinating.

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Animal Kingdom in August will be very hot and humid. Take rain ponchos that can fit in your backpack or bag for those unexpected rain showers. Also take a portable water bottle that you can refill at the water fountains in the parks. Bottled water is expensive. Remember to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen. Animal Kingdom is laid out in a way that you will do a lot of walking to see it all. Plan on being there for several hours. I liked Animal Kingdom, but my favorite parks are Magic Kingdom and MGM Studios. Feel they have more to see and do for all ages. I've never been to Gator World so can't help you there. Word of caution: only buy your tickets either online thru the parks websites or at the gate. There are a lot of ticket scams in Orlando. Hope this helps.
Suzanne
Thanks Suzanne for the suggestions.

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of what might help to make a better recommendation would be for you to tell us more about why you found Universal just so so. Did your party visit both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure?

And Suzanne is spot on correct about the heat and humidity of August.
Universal was so so, because we did not plan ahead and the lines were like 2 hours long.

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate them. We unfortunately have to go in August due to schedules.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
October or November would be my first suggestion

If the animal thing is more interesting than the parks then you might like BOK Tower. Not too far and although I’m not a animal park guy ( more Daytona bike week type ) I did find it interesting especially if you tour the mansion next door. How it was built way back when and the craftsmanship

https://boktowergardens.org/

And if you have time for a day trip Siesta Key beach. Sand like baby powder

https://www.scgov.net/

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
October or November would be my first suggestion

If the animal thing is more interesting than the parks then you might like BOK Tower. Not too far and although I’m not a animal park guy ( more Daytona bike week type ) I did find it interesting especially if you tour the mansion next door. How it was built way back when and the craftsmanship

https://boktowergardens.org/

And if you have time for a day trip Siesta Key beach. Sand like baby powder

https://www.scgov.net/
Oh wow they are beautiful choices. Thanks

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
There are season passes you can get that allow you acces and free parking to many other places like BOK tower such as the Edison Ford estates in Ft Myers FL. As well as other places around the country that might be not much more $$

AnnieBets

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don’t mind giving up the shows, which are both excellent, consider the Animal Kingdom after hours instead of one day ticket. About same cost, go at night so cooler, ride lines shorter. Also available at Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.

We just did Chip and Dale campfire. At very start, the characters come out and play games with people. Pain to get to, but free and very fun interaction. Can buy s’mores kit or bring your own.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_2756.jpeg IMG_2767.jpeg IMG_2770.jpeg IMG_2785.jpeg
We went to Gatorland in July of 2017. We spent a few hours there and sat through the gator wrestling show. It was ok for a few hours and shows what entertainment was like in Orlando before Disney came in. (Here are some photos of Gatorland). I don't think we'd go back.

For Animal Kingdom, I suggest you get there as early as possible. I believe the animals are more active in the morning. We were in Orlando two weeks ago and went hiking at Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland, which is about an hour West of Orlando. Hiked for a few hours in this county park (free admission) and saw over 20 gators in the wild, lots of turtles and birds and some snakes. Your son might like that. Try to get there early to better cope with the heat and because the animals are more active.

If you are considering Circle B Bar, I can post some photos. We also went to a Big Cat Sanctuary in Tampa and kayaking on a 8.5 mile trip in Wekiwa Springs, in which you can see turtles, birds, snakes and alligators. (That might be too buggy in August). I can give you more details if you're interested.

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 12189 View attachment 12190 View attachment 12191 View attachment 12192
We went to Gatorland in July of 2017. We spent a few hours there and sat through the gator wrestling show. It was ok for a few hours and shows what entertainment was like in Orlando before Disney came in. (Here are some photos of Gatorland). I don't think we'd go back.

For Animal Kingdom, I suggest you get there as early as possible. I believe the animals are more active in the morning. We were in Orlando two weeks ago and went hiking at Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland, which is about an hour West of Orlando. Hiked for a few hours in this county park (free admission) and saw over 20 gators in the wild, lots of turtles and birds and some snakes. Your son might like that. Try to get there early to better cope with the heat and because the animals are more active.

If you are considering Circle B Bar, I can post some photos. We also went to a Big Cat Sanctuary in Tampa and kayaking on a 8.5 mile trip in Wekiwa Springs, in which you can see turtles, birds, snakes and alligators. (That might be too buggy in August). I can give you more details if you're interested.
Okay, We will be rethinking Gator World. Not sure I want to see just the animals wrestling for hours. We can't wait to go to Animal Kingdom, thanks for the tips.

Brett

Reaction score
Okay, We will be rethinking Gator World. Not sure I want to see just the animals wrestling for hours. We can't wait to go to Animal Kingdom, thanks for the tips.

They don't wrestle for hours, it's more like a crocodile dundee /steve Irwin show along with feeding the alligators, birds, zip lines etc.
I went about three years ago and enjoyed it but one time is good enough

IMG_3958 copy.jpg