• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

List adult children on contract to avoid guest reservation fees?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I should add that the US has excellent law enforcement and legal resources designed to shut down scammers.

If the timeshare exit companies are scamming, complaints to the AG come in droves. All are investigated. If there is evidence of wrongdoing, the culprits involved are seeing a judge quick.

I know some exit firms have been shut down. Not all of them because there is no or little evidence of wrongdoing. That tells me some of them are following the law. I suppose it’s no different in any other industry. Every industry has its dark side where a few are doing illegal things and awaiting legal repercussions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
So nice of you to take advantage of owners!!
Why didn’t you inform them on Ovation?? You’ve used it & recommend it so why take advantage of others?
BD,
Some Owners simply refuse to give a deed back to Wyndham for $0. They would rather give them away and pay closing not to let Wyndham have it for $0.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
BD,
Some Owners simply refuse to give a deed back to Wyndham for $0. They would rather give them away and pay closing not to let Wyndham have it for $0.

I agree and that’s certainly their option.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2 bedroom condo (no timeshare, full ownership) for 60 percent lower than any other. I have been looking for years for the right place at the right price. I paid full price, no dickering. It so happened the past owners were in their 80s. Did I scam them? Absolutely not. They decided on price, not I. I simply choose to buy it.

As a seller or buyer of anything, the only time I see where someone is scammed is they have dementia or another hideous mental disorder that renders them unable to enter agreements. On my side, I can’t determine that. If that’s the case, they need a guardian or power of attorney to ensure they are protected.

Barring that, they can choose who they want to do business with. I give them credit as a cognitive human being. Whining about their decision and screaming scam just doesn’t work for me.
Buying something 60% under market from owners in their 80s. I don’t know the details so I won’t pass judgement on your deal.
Do I think it’s possible you took advantage of them because they set the price? Yes I think it’s possible but as I said I don’t know the details.
Elderly people often don’t know the value of what they own. That’s why a lot of realtors get great rental properties. Elderly call a professional realtor and when the realtor shows up asking what they think their house is worth? If the owner says a low price the realtor says , well if your happy with that I’ll buy it without ever listing the property for sale. Ethical? Not in my opinion. Elderly think they’re calling a professional that won’t take advantage of them but that professional did take advantage of sellers. I’ve seen that happen many times

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Buying something 60% under market from owners in their 80s. I don’t know the details so I won’t pass judgement on your deal.
Do I think it’s possible you took advantage of them because they set the price? Yes I think it’s possible but as I said I don’t know the details.
Elderly people often don’t know the value of what they own. That’s why a lot of realtors get great rental properties. Elderly call a professional realtor and when the realtor shows up asking what they think their house is worth? If the owner says a low price the realtor says , well if your happy with that I’ll buy it without ever listing the property for sale. Ethical? Not in my opinion. Elderly think they’re calling a professional that won’t take advantage of them but that professional did take advantage of sellers. I’ve seen that happen many times

I appreciate your point.

In my case, these folks were deemed competent. They could enter agreements.

As for realtors, yes I have seen that. They are out for deals and I see nothing wrong with that as long as the person they are dealing with are deemed mentally competent. I have also seen where elderly folks take out a reverse mortgage. I am not a fan of those either but again people have a right to enter agreements if they are competent.

If we don’t give people an ability to choose because it is assumed they are incapable of making decisions, we would not have democracy and freedom or free will. That would be a very sad state of affairs in my opinion. Kim Jun Un thinks his people are pets that only follow him. They can’t do anything without his sole consent. That’s a world I don’t want to have.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Ethical? Ok, let me ask you this?

I am sure in your lifetime you came across a real deal. You knew it was a steal so you bought it...

Or did you...

Go up to the person selling it and say, “Look...your selling this way to cheap. Let me pay the going price which is double. That way, I am ethical and you are getting the right price.”

I doubt you would do that or have done that.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You recommended it 6 minutes earlier
You’re not much better than the scamming upfront fee exit companies
BD,
You are quick to jump to conclusions. Facts do matter. Not all owners are being taken advantage of some may just want to keep it out of Wyndham's hands.
Why is it hard to believe that many owners choose to give it away to someone other then Wyndham? It may also involve them pay closing costs to make this decision. Personal opinion that many have chosen but may not work for you.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
BD,
You are quick to jump to conclusions. Facts do matter. Not all owners are being taken advantage of some may just want to keep it out of Wyndham's hands.
Why is it hard to believe that many owners choose to give it away to someone other then Wyndham? It may also involve them pay closing costs to make this decision. Personal opinion that many have chosen but may not work for you.

You are right!

I know of one case where a family gave away their high end Wyndham on TUG. They were pleased that someone else is going to enjoy it and were very appreciative. To this day, they were pleased with the decision they made.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think most can agree what works for one may not work for another. Many ways to use and enjoy a timeshare. May it be becoming a VIP, Buying resale or just plan old renting when a need arises. There is no one shoe that fits all feet but there is a A$$ for every seat.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I think most can agree what works for one may not work for another. Many ways to use and enjoy a timeshare. May it be becoming a VIP, Buying resale or just plan old renting when a need arises. There is no one shoe that fits all but there is a A$$ for every seat.

And that...my friend is FREEDOM.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
That's why we are celebrating this weekends holiday. remember to thank a veteran!

God bless all of them! If you are a vet reading this THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE from the bottom of my heart.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ethical? Ok, let me ask you this?

I am sure in your lifetime you came across a real deal. You knew it was a steal so you bought it...

Or did you...

Go up to the person selling it and say, “Look...your selling this way to cheap. Let me pay the going price which is double. That way, I am ethical and you are getting the right price.”

I doubt you would do that or have done that.

I personally haven’t bought real estate or vehicles from elderly owners.
I’ve made money in real estate but haven’t even come close to buying at 25% under market. Sometimes people will take less for an all cash no inspection offer. That’s why I didn’t pass judgement on your deal without knowing all the facts.

Yes I have paid more than the asking price a couple of times.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I personally haven’t bought real estate or vehicles from elderly owners.
I’ve made money in real estate but haven’t even come close to buying even at 25% under market. Sometimes people will take less for an all cash no inspection offer. That’s why I didn’t pass judgement on your deal without knowing all the facts.

Yes I have paid more than the asking price a couple of times.

I have too paid above asking price but that was only when there were competing offers.

Why not an elderly person? They buy and sell too? I just make sure they are competent. I would never buy something from anyone who I knew was not.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have too paid above asking price but that was only when there were competing offers.

Why not an elderly person? They buy and sell too? I just make sure they are competent. I would never buy something from anyone who I knew was not.

I haven’t avoided buying from elderly sellers. Just haven’t had any private purchases from any elderly folks competent or not.
All purchases through auctions or agents

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I'm not buying the idea that a realtor merely listed a property at the price some elderly people thought it was worth. Realtors are supposed to represent the interests of their clients. Besides that, a realtor's commission increases with selling price.

I have no issue with FredF, only with the seller's agent.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
That's why we are celebrating this weekends holiday. remember to thank a veteran!

DO NOT thank a Veteran this weekend unless you are at a cemetery and you are thanking a veteran for giving his or her life for our country. Too many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. I am a veteran and served in the Marine Corps and the Army. This Holiday is Reserved for those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I think the sellers agent suggested a higher price. This couple insisted they sell it at the price they determined. I do know I bought it 1 hour after listing. My understanding was they wanted a fast sale and quick possession as they needed the money to do something else. They wanted no conditions including financing. It was a fast exchange as per their conditions.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
DO NOT thank a Veteran this weekend unless you are at a cemetery and you are thanking a veteran for giving his or her life for our country. Too many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. I am a veteran and served in the Marine Corps and the Army. This Holiday is Reserved for those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

I respect that but still thank you. All veterans whether living or passed on are appreciated.

Your comment tells me how humble and selfless you are and, for that, you deserve my respect.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not buying the idea that a realtor merely listed a property at the price some elderly people thought it was worth. Realtors are supposed to represent the interests of their clients. Besides that, a realtor's commission increases with selling price.

I have no issue with FredF, only with the seller's agent.
That’s my point, the realtor didn’t list the property because they bought it themselves private party well under the market taking advantage of the elderly sellers
There wasn’t any commission to be had

There’s also instances like Fredf deal where the real estate agent is just the front for a partner. Not saying that’s what happen on his deal but it does happen

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
That’s why putting the kids names on anything in my view is wrong. Let them decide when they are adults whether they want in or not. They need all info so they can make an informed decision.

Taking this back to the OP's question. We are talking about ADULT children. They don't have to wait til I die to make a decision. I don't think you can put an underage kid on a deed if you wanted to. Nor can they check into a resort.

One thing I like about the ADULT children (my father's grandchildren) that have chosen to be added to a deed and thus the account, is that I now have some pretty savvy users of the system. Quick studies, for sure! When I am done, my kids likely do not want it, but very possibly a nephew or niece will take over the reigns.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are talking about ADULT children. They don't have to wait til I die to make a decision. I don't think you can put an underage kid on a deed if you wanted to. Nor can they check into a resort.

I added both of our daughters when they hit 18, by adding them to a cheap resale contract. It’s odd the girls couldn’t check in to a resort until they hit 21 (age 25 at Emerald Grande). But it does allow me to make multiple reservations at the same resort over same time frame without having to use a Guest Confirmation.

When our now 30 year old daughter got married we were able to get her name changed at Wyndham (without changing the deed) by providing a copy of the marriage license and her new drivers license. No charge for this.

It’s a wise choice in my opinion.

Wes.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
When our now 30 year old daughter got married we were able to get her name changed at Wyndham (without changing the deed) by providing a copy of the marriage license and her new drivers license. No charge for this.

It’s a wise choice in my opinion.

Wes.

Wes,

Did you go thru Owner Services or Title Service to get this done? I need to do the same thing but have put it off because I thought I would have to change the deed and pay the $299. I’ve been using guest certificates for her family even though she is on our account. TIA

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wes,

Did you go thru Owner Services or Title Service to get this done? I need to do the same thing but have put it off because I thought I would have to change the deed and pay the $299. I’ve been using guest certificates for her family even though she is on our account. TIA

I did it through owner services. Spoke on the phone. They transferred to a rep who told me what I needed to scan and email to her. I think I also sent a hard copy via snail mail. Took about two weeks to fully process.

Seems like a somewhat routine process.

Wes.