• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I don't know if it's right, but a tour guide on the bus yesterday said the Garden District was the highest elevation in the City. So maybe that house is ok as is? It was right at street level, but not raised much above grade. :shrug:

Dave

We were in New Orleans about 18 months after Katrina. The Garden District had lots more wind damage than flooding issues. We went to Commander's Palace, which is a few blocks from Avenue Plaza, for dinner and they'd just reopened a week or so before because it took that long to get repairs done, and then they'd lost so many of their staff too who'd been forced to move away. Mrs. Brennan was greeting people and when Cliff said we were so glad to see them open she through her arms around him and thanked us so much for being there that evening. On a previous visit, before Katrina, we took a bus tour of the river plantations and as he was bringing us back into the city the bus driver pointed out pumps that were under an overpass and commented that they weren't going to do anyone any good because they'd be the first thing that got flooded.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG! TUGGERS ARE THE BEST!! I can't believe this myself- but I called the Financial Advisor a little while ago after some of the suggestions here about a mortgage and so on and told him about the house and the whole situation and - WAIT FOR IT- HE GAVE US THE GO AHEAD TO BUY IT!!!! And here is the clincher- we are going to pay outright for it! He said sometimes we can't always adhere to a "perfect" financial scenario! I knew I liked this guy!!!!
Someone pinch me...:banana:
Congrats, Mary Ann! I knew you'd do the right thing. Now. . . .NO COLD FEET!

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Congrats, Mary Ann! I knew you'd do the right thing. Now. . . .NO COLD FEET!

Jim

OMG JIM! I feel like I am dreaming! We have to go up to NH next weekend to deal with the details. I am very excited and hope all works out!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
OMG! TUGGERS ARE THE BEST!! I can't believe this myself- but I called the Financial Advisor a little while ago after some of the suggestions here about a mortgage and so on and told him about the house and the whole situation and - WAIT FOR IT- HE GAVE US THE GO AHEAD TO BUY IT!!!! And here is the clincher- we are going to pay outright for it! He said sometimes we can't always adhere to a "perfect" financial scenario! I knew I liked this guy!!!!

I am crying I am so happy! I immediately called the realtor because I knew this was a big open house weekend. I already picked the lot and later tonight will reserve it on paper. We are going up next weekend to sign everything and pick out what we need to. Remember- this is a new house. It is a very small ranch but will be perfect. We actually could not see inside one last week as they are all occupied but we saw another model and it was really nice. This lot is the only one left with a walk out basement and also is one of the better lots left in terms of grade and has just a little bit of a view through the trees out back of Paugus Bay, but no big deal- don't care about views as much. The Lake is close by.

Someone pinch me...:banana:

Wow, that’s awesome!!!!:cheer:

I think the only thing left for me to know is what time do we have to be there for the house warming party.

Seriously, this is great. Get us some pictures of the lot, we’d love to see it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Wow, that’s awesome!!!!:cheer:

I think the only thing left for me to know is what time do we have to be there for the house warming party.

Seriously, this is great. Get us some pictures of the lot, we’d love to see it.

I will try to get pics on here as soon as possible. We have to go up next weekend and pick out some stuff. Love everyone here!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We were in New Orleans about 18 months after Katrina. The Garden District had lots more wind damage than flooding issues. We went to Commander's Palace, which is a few blocks from Avenue Plaza, for dinner and they'd just reopened a week or so before because it took that long to get repairs done, and then they'd lost so many of their staff too who'd been forced to move away. Mrs. Brennan was greeting people and when Cliff said we were so glad to see them open she through her arms around him and thanked us so much for being there that evening. On a previous visit, before Katrina, we took a bus tour of the river plantations and as he was bringing us back into the city the bus driver pointed out pumps that were under an overpass and commented that they weren't going to do anyone any good because they'd be the first thing that got flooded.

However, with Global Warming, waters rising and more frequent storms, flooding could well be an increasing issue for any coastal area. Seeing the change here. The water is returning to the creeks and marsh areas here that were filled in. Fortunately neither of our houses are on such ground or have come near to flooding. However with each storm and super full moon high tide I see the waters inching further and further than I've seen before. In the spirit of this thread, we still love it here but it's hard to know when to cut and run for high ground before the market drops out from under us.

I miss eating at Commander's Palace!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Every few months our insurance agent mails brochures about flood insurance.
She's wasting a stamp on us 'cuz our house is on the top of a hill and won't ever flood.

But this brings up the thought that one should consider the possibility when house hunting.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In the meantime here is the website where we are buying. The smallest home is the one we are buying. This Saturday we go back up to select options.

http://weirsbeachvillagenh.com/photos/

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann
Your future home looks terrific!! I would have went for it too. How far is it from your son? I certainly would fall in love with that too! You must be like me, so undecided, over think things, but when you see what you want, you go for it.
Congratulations!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the meantime here is the website where we are buying. The smallest home is the one we are buying. This Saturday we go back up to select options.

These look like great homes and perfect for the 2 of you with a guest bedroom to spare! Congratulations on moving forward with this!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann
Your future home looks terrific!! I would have went for it too. How far is it from your son? I certainly would fall in love with that too! You must be like me, so undecided, over think things, but when you see what you want, you go for it.
Congratulations!

It is only 25 miles to where our son lives and 10 minutes from where he works! Tonight we signed to reserve the lot we wanted (only 1 left for a walk out basement) and going up on Saturday to pick out the options and sign paperwork. In NH they do not require an atty so we have to decide what to do regarding that. I did contact one already. I love this place and it is a rarity in the state. It is like 5 or 10 minutes from the town I originally wanted to live in.

And it is near the Lake. Once we move I am going to buy season passes for the MS Mt Washington so I can ride whenever I want!

I am praying it will all work out. Really- there were only like 4 or 5 lots left!

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It sounds great and it will be fun to be part of a brand new community where everyone will be "newcomer."

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, I actually know someone who lives nearby.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at a timeshare a couple of times in that area. Village of Winnepissauki . The beach is very nice.
Have you got a St Joseph to bury in your yard of your present house.?
Doing this will make your house sell.
Good Luck!
Silentg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
Thanks. Yes. I know you are right. My logical mind tells me this also. We have just lived here so long and we are such homebodies- but I am trying to look at it as an adventure! What the hell. It is now or never! I think sometimes when we are fearful it is telling us we have to take action now.

We were planning to do this first next spring. Then January 2020. Then this Sept. when we get back from Utah. And now here we are- going to do it now!

I think I will need to open the Margarita bottle this weekend. LOL!
BEST of luck! Yes, this is an adventure! We are in the same boat, house recently listed as we are semi retiring, becoming true empty nesters in August, "taking the plunge" and moving west of Orlando. We will be renting for at least a year or two, to determine if we like the area. If not, we will rent in the Tampa area. Very exciting, we are mentally ready, but stressful at the same time, showing a home, having to keep it in tip top shape all the time, but I try to take one day at a time. Good memories will be made in the next phase, have faith!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We stayed at a timeshare a couple of times in that area. Village of Winnepissauki . The beach is very nice.
Have you got a St Joseph to bury in your yard of your present house.?
Doing this will make your house sell.
Good Luck!
Silentg

Thanks! I forgot about the St. Joseph statue thing! I have to get one!

Yes- I remember when you stayed there- you didn't have such a great experience. LOL! That beach is not somewhere I would go- except maybe in the off season just to hang by the water. As you know it can get very crowded in the summer and the water quality leaves a lot to be desired since it is a small, shallow swimming area.

Anyway- I am praying it works out. We reserved the lot- but we only have 10 days to sign the contract and give a deposit- including al the upgrade money up front.

Meanwhile, my husband is working and we can't get up there until Friday or Saturday and I can't see how we can get an attorney to look at it until after we sign, so I am very nervous.

In NY, we would just give a good faith deposit which would go in escrow until the attorney could review the contract. Then we would go into the attorney's office and sign and he would send it to the seller.

So this is rather scary to me. NH does not require an atty and supposedly the agent and buyers agent handle everything, along with the title company. But we don't have a buyers agent- why would we need one now? I was the one that found the place on line a couple of years ago.

On top of that it is- well- not a technically a leased lot- we would own the lease/lot. The property used to be a trailer park back in the day and when the other developer bought it he made changes to the already approved land to make the development work. So all the buyers pay like $100 one time for a 99 year renewable "lease" -renews for free again- when the developer is done building the "lease" goes to the HOA and everything is divided amongst the 85 homeowners.

All new to me.....

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
BEST of luck! Yes, this is an adventure! We are in the same boat, house recently listed as we are semi retiring, becoming true empty nesters in August, "taking the plunge" and moving west of Orlando. We will be renting for at least a year or two, to determine if we like the area. If not, we will rent in the Tampa area. Very exciting, we are mentally ready, but stressful at the same time, showing a home, having to keep it in tip top shape all the time, but I try to take one day at a time. Good memories will be made in the next phase, have faith!

Thanks! Good luck also!

I didn't sleep a wink all night. My adrenaline was on overdrive.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sweet! I like what I'm seeing and looks like it offers a lot and in an area you love. So happy for you!
I didn't read that this is an over 55 community or that the landscaping, etc., is maintained. Did I miss it? Nice to have the basement for extra space and that it's a walkout! Enjoy the process! I'd be so excited too!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is only 25 miles to where our son lives and 10 minutes from where he works! Tonight we signed to reserve the lot we wanted (only 1 left for a walk out basement) and going up on Saturday to pick out the options and sign paperwork. In NH they do not require an atty so we have to decide what to do regarding that. I did contact one already. I love this place and it is a rarity in the state. It is like 5 or 10 minutes from the town I originally wanted to live in.

And it is near the Lake. Once we move I am going to buy season passes for the MS Mt Washington so I can ride whenever I want!

I am praying it will all work out. Really- there were only like 4 or 5 lots left!

Fantastic that you will be so close to your son too!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sweet! I like what I'm seeing and looks like it offers a lot and in an area you love. So happy for you!
I didn't read that this is an over 55 community or that the landscaping, etc., is maintained. Did I miss it? Nice to have the basement for extra space and that it's a walkout! Enjoy the process! I'd be so excited too!

Thanks. It is not a 55+, nor is it gated. But the realtor said most people are 40+ and a little under half are seasonal homes. They mow the grass and they plow the road. There is a clubhouse and a small pool. That's about it.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Mary Ann if you can be there to make suggestions when the photographer comes I strongly recommend it. You know the best features of your house. If you can't be there then take pictures yourself and send them to the realtor showing what you want the photographer to make sure he or she gets shots of.

The house we lived in for 23 years before moving to Florida was on the market for over a year before it finally sold. Far longer than it should have taken because it is a very desirable neighborhood and has one of the best elementary schools of the eleven in that school district. The pictures the listing realtor took totally missed most of the best features of the house. Eventually the owner wised up and went with a different realtor because after that there were fantastic pictures and the house sold. Our son was the one who told us to look at the pictures when the house was first listed. Neither he, my husband nor I could believe it. Both our master bedroom and our son's bedroom each had two closets and not a single picture showed them. The pictures of our downstairs family room were horrible and never showed there was a bathroom down there nor how light the room was due to the extra windows we had the builder put in. Even the new listing indicates the garage is large and has great built in storage but didn't have any pictures of the fantastic shelves my husband built and the nice workbench. To make matters worse we had added on a huge family room and deck in addition to putting a french door to the deck in our bedroom and angling it out like we did the door in the family room. Those few feet made our bedroom seem much larger and the french door made the room lighter and gave it pizzazz. You can see it a little looking out the door to the deck on the left in the first picture. The deck is as wide as as the family room so is bigger than it looks in the picture and has built in benches and a gate at the top of the steps which you can't see. The only picture the first realtor used that showed that family room at all didn't even show as much of the family room as the bottom picture does. There were no pictures of the deck at all. The sad part was that the house stayed on the market for longer than it would have if the first realtor had done a better job. It was a divorce, the wife got the house and she got desperate because she is terrible with money. She's in her later 30's and has a good paying job. We've known her whole family since she was little because her younger brother and our son were friends. We went to her wedding. She ended up taking a lot less for the house because she was going under financially and was going to lose it to foreclosure. That was the only time we know of that her parents didn't bail her out which really surprised us because she has two grade school aged boys. With them both retired now they must have finally said no more. We know what she's like and the three of us have wondered if the first realtor had issues with her and refused to do more than the bare minimum. Or perhaps that realtor knows her ex who is a really nice guy or his family. If that is the case I can guarantee that person wouldn't be a fan of hers. She knew our house and wanted it so we never even had to list it but we knew what we were in for dealing with her and she didn't disappoint.

The first realtor just could just been lazy and lousy at the job. I learned on our second move to kick that kind to the curb and find another realtor. That's easy when you are looking at houses to buy but you're stuck with them when your the seller. Our son closed on their first house last month. I did a lot of over the phone hand holding and teaching in his search and putting in bids on two different places. He didn't understand just how bad the first realtor he was working with was until he found someone who is really good.

IS6qnxz9ccfc6w1000000000.jpg
ISe8nn4tdp8v800000000000.jpg
ISir4liwy2q8wx1000000000.jpg

Last edited: