• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Past Due MF question

Chris G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Willow Ridge Lodge
I have a question about past due HOA maintenance fees. We own 2 weeks that have paid mortgages in Branson, MO. We have had some large out of pocket medical bills this year and are late on our maintenance fees. We have every intention of paying them within the next 2-3 months when a court settlement for injuries finalizes.

My question is this. One of the weeks we already traded for Marriott Rewards Points for 2019 and the other we booked a year ago for mid June this year at our home resort. We are in the old non Destnations program for both weeks.

They have filed a lien as of a week or so ago but can't tell me the time frame for foreclosing. They also had previously told me that MVCI would try to rent my week to pay the MF if it was not yet booked. Today they told me that since the week is already reserved that the unit will likely sit vacant for the week.

I asked if we could still Occupy it in this case since we are wishing to keep the 2 weeks and they said there would be no way of knowing until we showed up to check in that day.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? If we are going to get the MF paid then I definitely don't want the week to just vanish.

They can't change the week at this late date but they also say they can't tell us anything or offer any options. So much for loyalty for the past 15 years as owners.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your only option is to pay the MF + late fees now. You will be blocked from occupying your week otherwise.

Loyalty has nothing to do with this. You owe MF and when you don't pay up, you don't get to utilize your week.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am surprised that you still have a reservation for that week. Usually if your MFs are past due, they cancel any existing reservations. This happened to the first Marriott week we bought back in 2007. The prior owner hadn't paid their MFs (no lien filed yet) and I asked them to make a reservation for me. They got an email a few days later that the reservation had been cancelled. Due to an outstanding mortgage that they had on it, they had to pay the MFs in order to have enough from the sale proceeds to pay off the mortgage. So there was never a lien filed.

Chris G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Willow Ridge Lodge
I am surprised that you still have a reservation for that week. Usually if your MFs are past due, they cancel any existing reservations. This happened to the first Marriott week we bought back in 2007. The prior owner hadn't paid their MFs (no lien filed yet) and I asked them to make a reservation for me. They got an email a few days later that the reservation had been cancelled. Due to an outstanding mortgage that they had on it, they had to pay the MFs in order to have enough from the sale proceeds to pay off the mortgage. So there was never a lien filed.

There is no consistency to anything they do it seems. The way they talk it is up to the resort at this point. I would be fine with them cancelling and I would rebook once the MF is paid.

Chris G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Willow Ridge Lodge
Your only option is to pay the MF + late fees now. You will be blocked from occupying your week otherwise.

Loyalty has nothing to do with this. You owe MF and when you don't pay up, you don't get to utilize your week.

Well right now that isn't an option. They should just cancel the reservation. this resort stays near 100% occupancy in the summer so why would they let a unit stay vacant?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well right now that isn't an option. They should just cancel the reservation. this resort stays near 100% occupancy in the summer so why would they let a unit stay vacant?
Why not, since MF has not been paid for it? Logic will tell you that if they allow delinquent owners to stay for free, no one will pay their MF.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because it's still a week assigned to you. They may cancel it and take the fees for themselves with you still on the hook for the fees, but I don't believe they'll give you credit even if they do rent it. If you canceled at this point you like wouldn't be able to rebook this year so that wouldn't help you either. Even if they don't cancel and let it sit empty, I don't believe they'd allow occupancy for you or someone you rent from without getting up to date on all of the fees.

Chris G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Willow Ridge Lodge
Be aware that the can lock/freeze you out of your Marriott Rewards account as well.
oh they already did that which is fine. that happens the moment the MF becomes late.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason they lack flexibility is because they are acting on behalf of the other owners that have paid. There is nothing that gives them authority to give preferential treatment for specific situations or years of ownership.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Yes, it is unfortunate but many good-intentioned people stop paying MF for one reason or another, and then become unable to subsequently pay. Marriott deals with this all the time, those that can't or don't pay account for, I believe ~5% of what the rest of us pay in MF every year. Simply how it is.

Hope your situation improves!

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Yes, it is unfortunate but many good-intentioned people stop paying MF for one reason or another, and then become unable to subsequently pay. Marriott deals with this all the time, those that can't or don't pay account for, I believe 5-10% of what the rest of us pay in MF every year. Simply how it is.

Hope your situation improves!
At the MVC resort I am most familiar with, outstanding MFs at last count were just under 4%.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
At the MVC resort I am most familiar with, outstanding MFs at last count were just under 4%.

Thanks Barry. Does this include all categories of past due? Some are delinquent, some are in collections, some are simply late in paying. I thought they were in different places Past Due being one / in Collections another ???

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barry. Does this include all categories of past due? Some are delinquent, some are in collections, some are simply late in paying. I thought they were in different places Past Due being one / in Collections another ???
Revocation numbers are much lower, less than 1%.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Revocation numbers are much lower, less than 1%.

Thanks Barry, so the combined number is 5% (4%+1%) at that property.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barry, so the combined number is 5% (4%+1%) at that property.
No, the revocations are included in the total number of less than 4%.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Ok, perhaps someone else knows the complete breakouts. These are separated out, I've read it in the statements.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’m sorry you are having a rough time. Can you pay the maintenance fees on a credit card and pay it off when you settle? Or pay them on CC and rent the week to pay it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Willow Ridge Lodge
I’m sorry you are having a rough time. Can you pay the maintenance fees on a credit card and pay it off when you settle? Or pay them on CC and rent the week to pay it back?

We have used the CC for medical expenses or we would have the MF paid already. Sometimes life just throws you too many curveballs at once. We don't like being in this situation as we have never been late like this before but obviously other things take priority. MVCI referred me to some 3rd party side for renting the week but then said the resort still might lock someone who rents it out so a no win situation here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about past due HOA maintenance fees. We own 2 weeks that have paid mortgages in Branson, MO. We have had some large out of pocket medical bills this year and are late on our maintenance fees. We have every intention of paying them within the next 2-3 months when a court settlement for injuries finalizes.

My question is this. One of the weeks we already traded for Marriott Rewards Points for 2019 and the other we booked a year ago for mid June this year at our home resort. We are in the old non Destnations program for both weeks.

They have filed a lien as of a week or so ago but can't tell me the time frame for foreclosing. They also had previously told me that MVCI would try to rent my week to pay the MF if it was not yet booked. Today they told me that since the week is already reserved that the unit will likely sit vacant for the week.

I asked if we could still Occupy it in this case since we are wishing to keep the 2 weeks and they said there would be no way of knowing until we showed up to check in that day.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? If we are going to get the MF paid then I definitely don't want the week to just vanish.

They can't change the week at this late date but they also say they can't tell us anything or offer any options. So much for loyalty for the past 15 years as owners.

Sounds like you have an attorney working on the injury case, why not have the attorney ask Marriott for a forebearance agreement? Seems like Marriott/HOA would be motivated to do this given the timeframe is relatively short until the settlement is finalized.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got divorced some 20 or so years ago my ex-wife got our Marriott Week. I ran into her somewhere and she told me she hadn't paid the MFs. She asked me to do whatever I could about it. I called Marriott and found out the Week was in the process of being foreclosed. They were great. As my name was still on the deed they let me pay the delinquent MFs; took it out of foreclosure and accepted the Week for sale. Within a month it was sold with my ex-wife getting the proceeds. All it took was one short phone call and some paperwork. That was Marriott then. Today, who knows...

George

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got divorced some 20 or so years ago my ex-wife got our Marriott Week. I ran into her somewhere and she told me she hadn't paid the MFs. She asked me to do whatever I could about it. I called Marriott and found out the Week was in the process of being foreclosed. They were great. As my name was still on the deed they let me pay the delinquent MFs; took it out of foreclosure and accepted the Week for sale. Within a month it was sold with my ex-wife getting the proceeds. All it took was one short phone call and some paperwork. That was Marriott then. Today, who knows...

George
You paid the fees and she got the proceeds, nice. I wonder if Marriott turns in foreclosures to the credit Bureaus.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably why I get along so well with my two ex-wives. Beats animosity...

George
I guess it depends on the specifics, having continuing to pay to avoid conflict sounds more like blackmail though but I'm sure your situation is far more complicated than this and not something appropriate to be unpacked here anyway. But I've learned the only reasonable endpoint to dysfunctional is good boundaries and a simple sentence, No!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't consider it blackmail or buying peace and tranquility. It is just that I march to a different drummer. I have never (this is like for 50 years now) given my (two) now ex-wives or (three) kids Xmas or Birthday presents. I paid for their college educations, paid for their many mission trips and bought them their first cars. Whenever I saw them in need of something I was there for them. They knew never to ask me for anything. When I retired some 20 years ago I distributed just about everything I owned except my Bank Accounts to them. My 3 bank accounts are all JTWROS with them so when I die the money that is left will be theirs without going through probate...

George