• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta Guest vs owner benefits - reason to buy in ?

VanX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
Hi,

While we can exchange in with RCI we are also considering to buy in at MP as a resale. Preference is for an older contract pre 2005 for a 2 bedroom + 1 week due to lower MF’s, transfer fees etc which I read about here on TUG

Wondering if the value of buying in for added benefits of ownership justifies the extra cost of MF’s vs simple RCI exchange and added resort visit fees?

Hoping existing owners can help outline ownership benefits of a floating week vs exchanging in.

Examples I can think of but am not sure of:

1. Free or reduced transport between airport and resort.
2. Savings by % at the resorts on store, spa or restaurants
3. Exclusive check in area or owners lounges at the resorts.
4. Some exclusive member pool area or beach area privileges
5. Special access to members events/dinners/shows/club area.
6. Butler services for members or some comparable “you are special as an owner” status benefits.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share on the added values of membership in Vidanta for a resale purchaser.

Thanks

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan Palace, AFAIK won't get you access to the Riviera Maya Beach Club (Grand Bliss/Luxxe *owners* only), or the Grand Bliss pool or the Burger Custom Made (Grand Luxxe *owners* only).

SFX bookings already get you free shuttle from the airport to the resort (but not return).

Now if you were to maybe purchase GB/GL (again, so far only Riviera Maya seems to have the random restrictions at random times, but usually October through June for some strange reason).

VanX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
Mayan Palace, AFAIK won't get you access to the Riviera Maya Beach Club (Grand Bliss/Luxxe *owners* only), or the Grand Bliss pool or the Burger Custom Made (Grand Luxxe *owners* only).

SFX bookings already get you free shuttle from the airport to the resort (but not return).

Now if you were to maybe purchase GB/GL (again, so far only Riviera Maya seems to have the random restrictions at random times, but usually October through June for some strange reason).

Thanks for this and honestly I’m surprised that the older/earlier MP & GM memberships don’t attribute any membership privileges into the newer created areas GL&GB membership types/ levels as a kind of grandfathering at RM.

Would be odd for us to be on-site at a resort as MP or GM member/owner and be restricted from any other areas or services.

As such I certainly would like a chance to review some older contracts for the language on this access issue within older memberships at newer spaces to fully understand before committing.

Will see what I can learn with some other feelers I have out now with different resellers if they are willing to share contract versions so I can do a wording review on this.

Cheers !

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it were me (LOL):

1) How often are you wanting/planning to visit Vidanta?
2) Which locations?
3) Do you want to stay in MP, GM, GB/GL?

If the answer is:
every other year or longer (every third year, etc.), you want to stay at NV in a 2 BR GB, then I'd probably rent from an owner vs buy.

AFAIK (others can chime in):

Only RM seems to have these odd restrictions to Beach Club/Pools/Restaurants. (GB/GL owners using their owners week). Also sometimes (depends on the mood it seems) the Grand Luxxe spa is also restricted to owners using their owner week.

Other locations do not (so far) seem to have any of these restrictions to non-owners (exchangers). NV for example, does not restrict the restaurants (AFAIK). The GL pool however is restricted to GL owners/guests/exchangers. So AFAIK even if you had an MP and stayed at the MP or GM you could not use the GL pool (GB maybe as well depends on how enforced it is).

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Anyone who stays at a Vidanta resort gets free transportation from the airport to the resort. Generally you don't get transportation back from the resort to the airport, but you can bargain for it as compensation for attending an update/sales pitch. In RM the cost of a taxi to the airport is about $35 U.S. In NV it's about $10 U.S. Not sure about the other locations.

You won't get any discounts as a resale owner.

No exclusive check in areas at the Mayan Palace level. They do different check in locations based on how you arranged the stay at some of the levels, though.

As mentioned, the only exclusive owner/member areas are generally in RM, though sometimes they don't enforce those in the low season. Different areas are set aside in the resort for different levels you are staying at.

No special access for resale owners or other owners until you've spent way too much with them.

6. Butler services for members or some comparable “you are special as an owner” status benefits.

Same as the previous answers.
Thanks for this and honestly I’m surprised that the older/earlier MP & GM memberships don’t attribute any membership privileges into the newer created areas GL&GB membership types/ levels as a kind of grandfathering at RM.

Would be odd for us to be on-site at a resort as MP or GM member/owner and be restricted from any other areas or services.

As such I certainly would like a chance to review some older contracts for the language on this access issue within older memberships at newer spaces to fully understand before committing.

Will see what I can learn with some other feelers I have out now with different resellers if they are willing to share contract versions so I can do a wording review on this.

Cheers !

What they are selling at the more recent upgraded levels is exclusivity. A resale MP contract would be fabulous for going to someplace like MP Puerto Vallarta where there isn't a higher level resort co-located to give you envy if you're susceptible to that. That is actually a great location and a nice resort, though it isn't as ritzy as the GL ones. You won't see any language on this in the older contracts because the newer tiers didn't exist when they were written. I don't believe the newer contracts include anything about that either, though I haven't looked recently; it's just a resort policy.

Hi,

While we can exchange in with RCI we are also considering to buy in at MP as a resale. Preference is for an older contract pre 2005 for a 2 bedroom + 1 week due to lower MF’s, transfer fees etc which I read about here on TUG

Older contracts had a renovation fee every five years that essentially make up for the difference with the current MFs.

The real benefit for being an owner with Vidanta is the ability to get a week there in the high season. We get a lot of bennies when using our own weeks there because we spent too much; sometimes it's worth it, but often I'll look at the relative costs of exchanging with other TS I own to go to Vidanta and suck up the possibility of lower quality locations or service. They're all great, though, so if you're not looking at going there in January-March, you would likely be better off exchanging in. If you're not planning on going there regularly, the option of renting from someone that has bought in at a higher level is probably the more cost effective way to go. Things might change if occupancy in the low season takes off due to the Parks opening or the Vidanta Cruises, but you could probably do well just reaching out to some of the obvious folks here on TUG and asking if they would hook you up.

Most of what @hurnik wrote is correct about the on-site access, etc. I wouldn't expect to be able to find a decent resale contract above the MP level, though. Vidanta has done a fabulous job of squelching the resale market.

VanX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway

Anyone who stays at a Vidanta resort gets free transportation from the airport to the resort. Generally you don't get transportation back from the resort to the airport, but you can bargain for it as compensation for attending an update/sales pitch. In RM the cost of a taxi to the airport is about $35 U.S. In NV it's about $10 U.S. Not sure about the other locations.

You won't get any discounts as a resale owner.

No exclusive check in areas at the Mayan Palace level. They do different check in locations based on how you arranged the stay at some of the levels, though.

As mentioned, the only exclusive owner/member areas are generally in RM, though sometimes they don't enforce those in the low season. Different areas are set aside in the resort for different levels you are staying at.

No special access for resale owners or other owners until you've spent way too much with them.

Same as the previous answers.

What they are selling at the more recent upgraded levels is exclusivity. A resale MP contract would be fabulous for going to someplace like MP Puerto Vallarta where there isn't a higher level resort co-located to give you envy if you're susceptible to that. That is actually a great location and a nice resort, though it isn't as ritzy as the GL ones. You won't see any language on this in the older contracts because the newer tiers didn't exist when they were written. I don't believe the newer contracts include anything about that either, though I haven't looked recently; it's just a resort policy.

Older contracts had a renovation fee every five years that essentially make up for the difference with the current MFs.

The real benefit for being an owner with Vidanta is the ability to get a week there in the high season. We get a lot of bennies when using our own weeks there because we spent too much; sometimes it's worth it, but often I'll look at the relative costs of exchanging with other TS I own to go to Vidanta and suck up the possibility of lower quality locations or service. They're all great, though, so if you're not looking at going there in January-March, you would likely be better off exchanging in. If you're not planning on going there regularly, the option of renting from someone that has bought in at a higher level is probably the more cost effective way to go. Things might change if occupancy in the low season takes off due to the Parks opening or the Vidanta Cruises, but you could probably do well just reaching out to some of the obvious folks here on TUG and asking if they would hook you up.

Most of what @hurnik wrote is correct about the on-site access, etc. I wouldn't expect to be able to find a decent resale contract above the MP level, though. Vidanta has done a fabulous job of squelching the resale market.

Thanks Eric,

The MP Master Suite 2 bedroom +1 week at RM and their different locations sounds sufficient for how we roll.

No envy here and in particular at a site the size of RM as it practically wont matter to us that those distant areas are off limits. It’s not about what we don’t get but rather enjoying what’s available as long as we aren’t constantly bumping into road blocks per se around the resort.

Will likely try a rental or two and then only seriously consider buying resale older contract if it’s something we decide we want to do much more of over the next 25 year cycle on an older membership with low MF.

Wondering if the very 5 year 1x MF applies when renewed for another 25 years as well or is it only applicable in the first 25 year cycle?

Turning 50 this year and renewing an older contract would take us into our early 80’s with 4 weeks a year in a 1 bedroom lock off at a fair price.

Cheers !

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The 5 year and 25 year deal are both for the long haul. The 25 year renewals are 5 MF. The 5 year ones are 1 MF.

We had 4 MP contracts and a 2 week GM contract when we upgraded to GL. We had some for each of the types that were sold. The 1 MF transfer cost, the 10% of the original price transfer cost, and the 5 MF transfer cost.

upload_2019-5-24_6-21-17.png

The GM upgrade we did using some eBay contracts we had was the one with the 5 MF and specifically stated that the Vacation Fair week did not transfer to a new owner. That was in 2006, so find out for sure if the VF weeks transfer when you buy resale. It might not have the +1.

Our GL has 10 MF to transfer and the +1 does not transfer. We will pay the 10 year renewal fee in 2023 and then not renew after that.

Watch out for some that were written in 2008, they had a 1-1/2 MF for the 5 year renewals.