• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Claiming unclaimed property with the state.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every few years, I check the state's unclaimed property website to see if I have any lost money. Once, I got a check for 50 cents! I check all of my family at the same time. This time, I found $11.25 for my husband and over $200 for my daughter. A couple of my brothers have several things there, so I text them about it. My paranoid brother doesn't want to claim his, lol. He has over $200, but he doesn't want the government to know where he is, I guess. I can't stop laughing.

At any rate, just a friendly reminder to check your state's unclaimed property website every now and again to see if you have any lost money/refunds. Both of my parents have about $150 each on there, but they are both dead and the website says I have to be the exact person to make the claim. Whatever, state of California....

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I check for mine/ours, and other names I am familiar with, for multiple states.

One time I saw something for the Edwin T. Meredith Foundation (Meredith Publishing). I was an Edwin T. Meredith Foundation gave me a college Scholarship last century, so I contacted them and told them I would like to pay them back and directed them to the money. They and I had a good laugh.

I have found money for several people and businesses I know.

In Iowa it's called The Great Iowa Treasure Hunt: https://greatiowatreasurehunt.gov/

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
In the past six months I have successfully collected in California and Texas. The total was less than $200, but still worth the trouble.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
We got $600 a year ago . . . escrow funds that were sent to our old address, and the Post Office couldn't figure out something that complicated (we had moved to the house next door).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just checked my state a few weeks ago, and found both spouse and I had money coming, in separate claims. We both filed the claims for it. What I don't understand is that the address they had on file for us is our present address. So why didn't they try and contact us? I have to think someone just didn't care.

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I found $1700 unclaimed by my brother-in-law. I am waiting for my share. :thumbup:

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I found a refund for my father-in-law doing that for upwards of $1,000. he's super cool and gave me like 50 bucks and I appreciated it.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I've posted before that I have been unable to convince state of CA that the twenty year old insurance refund of $200 from our old corporation belongs to us. Sent them Incorporation papers, dissolution papers, Cliff's driver's license. Apparently that is not good enough for them.