• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You’ve been Bonvoyed...

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think that I was Bonvoyed...and I think that I like it.

Interesting night. I finally had a free evening so decided that I would call Marriott and attempt to redeem my 5 night cert. I originally had an old cat 1-5, then upgraded to extend it - I think to a cat 6, but maybe a cat 7. My Marriott info showed it as a Cat 7. I was confused about this so it was the first thing that I asked the rep was, "is this a current Cat 7 or the old Cat 7, because I didn't think that I had a cat 7 certificate". She said "no, it's a current category 7" and over the next hour attempted to book me into a Cat 7 property. After being on hold for so long, I mentioned again that I didn't believe that it should be a current Cat 7 - and that maybe that's why she is having such difficulty, but no, she said it was a Cat 7 for sure. Then she put me on hold...again...and after nearly an hour, I was disconnected. I tried calling back and (unbelievably) was disconnected again even before reaching a rep. Grrr.

At this point I had decided to give up for the night, but in the process of checking my email I suddenly find a cancelled Cat 7 and a new Cat 5. I actually think that this is correct so I'm certainly not going to make a stink about it. But on the good side, the new Cat 5 cert (the one that I should have had all along) is now extended for a year from today, which is quite helpful. So in the end, things worked out but wow, this was an awful customer experience. I really feel sorry for the reps because their software must be a mess, and the regular customers because no one should have to be on the phone for an hour to make a reservation. Until tonight I hadn't had any interaction with Marriott since the merger, but this was much worse than expected.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to change a reservation with a travel package attached to another property. The 1st service representative used my points to reserve the new property which fortunately I caught. Then the 2nd service representative who seemed to know what's going on told me that the travel certificate has been attached and I just need to wait a few minutes for the reservation to be updated. After a few hours with the travel package not showing up, I called again and finally the travel certificate shows in the reservation. Moral of the story, always verify right away that the reservation has been done correctly. Otherwise, you'll be unpleasantly surprised that your points and travel certificate are gone!

Former Cruiser

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing I've noticed is the increase of points needed for point stays. A Fairfield Inn we stay when visiting family went from 10,000 to 17,500 points. Not even a new one. I was shocked.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I have a positive experience to share. We just received an email indicating we have been upgraded for our 5 night stay in Sydney as a result of using Suite Nights. This is a first for us, so I don’t know what the upgrade will mean, but we will take it. I am a Titanium level member.

Best regards.

Mike

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I have a positive experience to share. We just received an email indicating we have been upgraded for our 5 night stay in Sydney as a result of using Suite Nights. This is a first for us, so I don’t know what the upgrade will mean, but we will take it. I am a Titanium level member.

Best regards.

Mike
You should be able to go into your reservation and see what your upgraded room is.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You should be able to go into your reservation and see what your upgraded room is.

Thanks. We have been upgraded to an Opera House and Partial Harbor View in the Sydney Marriott Circular Quay. It looks like an increase in value of approximately $400 for a 5 night stay. Plus we will have access to the Concierge Lounge, which we enjoyed the last time we were there, due to our status. Fun times!

Best regards.

Mike

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
MARRIOTT’S LOYALTY PROGRAM IS SO BAD, “BONVOY” IS A DEROGATORY VERB
Personally, I have not stayed at a Marriott property yet this year so no first hand experience. Love to hear Tuggers stories :)
Here's mine...redeemed a bunch of points (I think 230,000 but maybe more) for a United Airlines/Marriott travel reward 5 night (the 5 night is exclusive to TS owners and you have to call to redeem). After 3 weeks and zero United Miles, I started calling. United had no record. Marriott could give me no details at all other than they processed my order on April 19. No confirmation, nada. Marriott said they would start a ticket and respond to me within 4 days. Nothing. Called back, Marriott never started a ticket. I also spoke to United, who were FAR more cooperative than Marriott. Marriott apparently did enter a ticket, and the next day my United miles appeared in my account. There is a long thread on FlyerTalk forum (United---but other airlines have same issue with Marriott) on this. Several others had the same experience where it took many calls and a trouble ticket to get the miles posted. I've done this several times before and I don't think I ever waited more than a day or two for the miles to post. New system has issues.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I had to change a reservation with a travel package attached to another property. The 1st service representative used my points to reserve the new property which fortunately I caught. Then the 2nd service representative who seemed to know what's going on told me that the travel certificate has been attached and I just need to wait a few minutes for the reservation to be updated. After a few hours with the travel package not showing up, I called again and finally the travel certificate shows in the reservation. Moral of the story, always verify right away that the reservation has been done correctly. Otherwise, you'll be unpleasantly surprised that your points and travel certificate are gone!

I do all Travel Package transactions on the phone and don't hang up until the certificates/reservations are correct. This goes back to before the SPG merge. They just mess up too often and I hate running it down.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always get my Chase 1 night in April. I didn't get this year.

I called, rep said...you should have got it, I will put in a ticket, you should have a response in 3 days

A week later, nothing...I called. I upgraded my Chase card in Aug, so I will get my free night then. Apologies that nobody responded to me. Ok, no problem.

This is the email reply I finally received. Obviously there is no corporate scripted replies, a bit wishy washy. If I hadn't called and was reminded about the credit card upgrade I would have been still left wondering why the change in month

Hello Madam:
Your free night award will arrive 8/26/19. It will not be that exact date. It will be somewhere around there.
Thank you
Cindy

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Hello Madam:
Your free night award will arrive 8/26/19. It will not be that exact date. It will be somewhere around there.
Thank you
Cindy

Based on the current total fubar of the merger, “somewhere around there” probably means before the turn of the century.

Cheers

Reactions: mav

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it is frustrating the significant loss of value over the years and the current hassles but let us not forget it is basically a free perk and I can't think of a better way to pay your bills and get more just from doing that.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always been loyal Marriott people, but recent events have us rethinking our loyalty. My husband is a lifetime Titanium member with over 36 years in the program, and I am currently a Titanium member. I had 3 of the 5 day hotel certificates from travel packages, that I redeemed in 2018 in my account. I used one to book a 5 night stay at a Marriott in Portugal, then a second to book a Sheraton in Portugal. In February of 2019, I asked Marriott to cancel the Marriott reservation and attach the certificate to another Sheraton instead. At that point, I still had 1 remaining certificate in my account. While we were in Portugal, I used my phone app for a check-in and found 140,000 points were taken out of my account for the first stay, despite using a 5 day certificate. A half hour phone call later, my points were restored. However, now my third 5 night certificate is missing and after a long conversation with elite services, I am waiting and hoping for that to be restored, since I would like to use it!!!