• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I buy? Thanks!

ThatGuyOverThere

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I just came back from one of the tours up in NH and the whole sales speech. We didn't buy in on anything but it did get my interest peeked. Been browsing on here quite a bit since last night and figured I'd get this posted and start here, getting some others inputs.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

NH-Maine Area, Possibly VA and NC

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Home resort more than half, would like to do trades but not sure how often it would be.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Montana, and possibly international spots.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

Total of 5

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

School schedule currently

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

3-4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

5k about.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Sometimes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or giveaway, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Congrats on finding Tug and doing your homework before you buy. You sound like a great candidate for a resale timeshare, however I am not familiar with timeshares in the locations you desire. I am sure there are other east coast Tuggers who can help. Welcome!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One word: Wyndham

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Definitely check out the stickies for the different TS Groups. Wyndham sounds like a good option for you,

DRIless

Reaction score
Well done first post!!!
Stick around and read, read, read.
I'm growing old and tired and am divesting myself of resorts in Oceanside CA, Monterey/Pacific Grove CA, Oconomowoc WI, Whitefish MT, Gordonsville VA, Hilton Head Island SC, Grand Cayman and Royal Holiday Group; PM me if interested in any of that.

So I just came back from one of the tours up in NH and the whole sales speech. We didn't buy in on anything but it did get my interest peeked. Been browsing on here quite a bit since last night and figured I'd get this posted and start here, getting some others inputs.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
NH-Maine Area, Possibly VA and NC

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Home resort more than half, would like to do trades but not sure how often it would be.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Montana, and possibly international spots.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
Total of 5

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
School schedule currently

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
3-4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
5k about.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Sometimes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or giveaway, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Check out the Wyndham forum for more info on their product. I’m not that familiar with their system, but they have resorts everywhere! If I were to purchase another system, Wyndham would be one that I would look at.

They have resorts in New Hamshire, Vermont, NC, Va and many more.

ThatGuyOverThere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I was actually looking at Wyndham when I was browsing and also was flipping through the members book that was posted somewhere on here. I'll take more of an in depth look at them.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on your desire to be at resorts in NH & Maine more than half the time Wyndham doesn't really fit. Wyndham does fit for your domestic travel destinations. I'm a New England Wyndham owner and never go to Maine or NH using Wyndham.

Perhaps RCI points could be suitable if you are willing to pay the exchange fees. At least it is probably worth looking at also.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Where did you tour? What did you like about that resort?

I have been to many of the NH and Maine resorts over the years. (We own in NH.) The usual advice is to buy where you want to go. I'd echo that....so you will want to do some renting/touring to figure that out.

The spot that we own at is admittedly not fancy, but it suits us. We were more interested in clean units, good location for taking day trips, family friendly, and decent trade power if we do need to trade. We did not want/need fancy pool bars/lazy rivers/concierge services/etc. We learned what we liked/didn't like by visiting places.

No need to rush....time spent in research is key. Stick around, and ask tons of questions! Welcome to TUG!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If you can, get an Innseason or Blue Green fixed week resale - that will work for you in NH.

If you are tied to the school schedule I really think it best to get a fixed, prime summer week so you know for sure you can go to your home resort every year.

You are taking a chance not getting a week you want to use with points in the Northeast. Everyone wants summer.

We own fixed week 31 (1st week of August generally) at Innseason Pollard Brook in Lincoln, NH and really like it. We could trade it if we want, but we haven’t.

South Mountain in Lincoln is now a Blue Green (used to be Innseason). Really nice also.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Ditto to what mpumilia just advised. Summer is short here in the Northeast. Everybody wants those same few weeks. Buy the week that you'll most likely want. We bought week 24 (our resort numbers things a little differently) which is often the week of July 4th. We wanted that week, because it means my husband doesn't have to take 5 days of vacation. We've never traded it...even when it hits the week prior to the 4th. We love the unit, the people who are at the resort that week...feels like going home, in the best possible way!

Good luck as you search!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Attachments

• UNION_LEADER_proof.pdf
    123.5 KB · Views: 42

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also consider a fixed, summer week at either Harbor Ridge or Samoset in Maine. Harbor Ridge trades in II and can get you Marriotts in VA, HHI, and FL. Samoset trades in RCI and can get you to other places as well. I think, based on your preferences, that a fixed summer week either in Maine or NH is the way to go. And the buy-in and MF will be well within your budget.

ThatGuyOverThere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you tour? What did you like about that resort?

The spot that we own at is admittedly not fancy, but it suits us. We were more interested in clean units, good location for taking day trips, family friendly, and decent trade power if we do need to trade. We did not want/need fancy pool bars/lazy rivers/concierge services/etc. We learned what we liked/didn't like by visiting places.

Yeah some of these are not needed. My children are younger and love to go on hikes, we usually prefer a decent pool area and the unit to just unwind in and cook some meals in. We will take a look at a couple other ones as well. We toured at Steele Hill.

That was what we essentially liked, somewhere to take a day trip if we wanted, if we stayed it had great views, the rooms weren't crazy fancy but had the amenities we'd need and had the indoor pool area.

If you can, get an Innseason or Blue Green fixed week resale - that will work for you in NH.

If you are tied to the school schedule I really think it best to get a fixed, prime summer week so you know for sure you can go to your home resort every year.

You are taking a chance not getting a week you want to use with points in the Northeast. Everyone wants summer.

We own fixed week 31 (1st week of August generally) at Innseason Pollard Brook in Lincoln, NH and really like it. We could trade it if we want, but we haven’t.

South Mountain in Lincoln is now a Blue Green (used to be Innseason). Really nice also.

This was informative, Thank you!

BTW- Someone just sent me a link about a public auction for foreclosures at Pollard Brook...

Thank you for the links I will keep an eye on this. Seems like some weeks that would work perfect for us.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yeah some of these are not needed. My children are younger and love to go on hikes, we usually prefer a decent pool area and the unit to just unwind in and cook some meals in. We will take a look at a couple other ones as well. We toured at Steele Hill.

That was what we essentially liked, somewhere toctake a day trip if we wanted, if we stayed it had great views, the rooms weren't crazy fancy but had the amenities we'd need and had the indoor pool area.

This was informative, Thank you!

Thank you for the links I will keep an eye on this. Seems like some weeks that would work perfect for us.

Just be careful of "floating" weeks or "every other year" weeks. You don't want to acquire those for a fixed week vacation every summer because they won't work for that in NH.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, I agree about the Wyndham issue in New England. Vermont, Massachusetts and Rhode Island have Wyndham but none in NH or Maine.

You didn't say from where you travel or if you drive, but I also highly recommend a bit further north of where you were - about an hour and a half. We own at Attitash in Bartlett. It has a small children's amusement park nearby (Storyland), that my grandchildren love, mall shopping and specialty shopping in Conway about 30 minutes away, trails for hiking, a rive for kayaking and rafting and an outside activity park for older children and adults across the street (literally). There are also indoor and outdoor pools and numerous accommodations. Since you have been to Steele Hill and liked it, I know you are not looking for glitz and glitter. Attitash is not fancy but it is comfortable and clean and family-oriented. Usually a reasonable buy in cost and maintenance fees for our 2 bedroom are right around $750. We love it there and have a fixed week 31 (first week of August) and use it every year. I, too would recommend a fixed week if you buy in New England. Summers are short and precious and demand is high.

As a resort, the configurations are unusual so you always have to ask for details. Our 2 bedroom is actually two studios - one with a full kitchen and one with a partial kitchen - that have a hallway in between. It is truly two units. We love it because it fits our family so well but if someone were looking for an actual two bedroom if they had younger children, they would be disappointed.

We love NH - we live here and vacation here - and are glad that you enjoyed your time here and looking forward to more.

e.bram

Reaction score
On the TUG marketplace there is fixed summer week for sale in Newport Overlook in Jamestown RI. It is a super great deal!
PS. I am not the owner!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
First of all, I agree about the Wyndham issue in New England. Vermont, Massachusetts and Rhode Island have Wyndham but none in NH or Maine.

You didn't say from where you travel or if you drive, but I also highly recommend a bit further north of where you were - about an hour and a half. We own at Attitash in Bartlett. It has a small children's amusement park nearby (Storyland), that my grandchildren love, mall shopping and specialty shopping in Conway about 30 minutes away, trails for hiking, a rive for kayaking and rafting and an outside activity park for older children and adults across the street (literally). There are also indoor and outdoor pools and numerous accommodations. Since you have been to Steele Hill and liked it, I know you are not looking for glitz and glitter. Attitash is not fancy but it is comfortable and clean and family-oriented. Usually a reasonable buy in cost and maintenance fees for our 2 bedroom are right around $750. We love it there and have a fixed week 31 (first week of August) and use it every year. I, too would recommend a fixed week if you buy in New England. Summers are short and precious and demand is high.

As a resort, the configurations are unusual so you always have to ask for details. Our 2 bedroom is actually two studios - one with a full kitchen and one with a partial kitchen - that have a hallway in between. It is truly two units. We love it because it fits our family so well but if someone were looking for an actual two bedroom if they had younger children, they would be disappointed.

We love NH - we live here and vacation here - and are glad that you enjoyed your time here and looking forward to more.

I just saw your post today. It's funny because my brother keeps asking if we are going to get rid of our week 31 Pollard Brook when we move to NH.

I told him I doubt it. I mean- what could be better than living in the Lakes region and owning a week in the White Mountains only an hour away? From what I understand we also can get day use passes throughout the year as owners.

On your point about configurations- I agree. Our unit is a 2 bedroom, but because it has a loft with 2 twin beds in addition to the two other bedrooms, it is more like a 3 bedroom! We do not need the extra sleeping quarters, but for a family with a bunch of kids it would be perfect.

SPG900NY

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have been trading into Attitash in July (we own a June and an October week there) while my son is in school and have been lucky enough to get one of those two-studio units a few years in a row and LOVE it. Ground floor (the stairs in some of those buildings are killer!), plenty of space... Wish we could buy one! :)

Heading back next week... We'll see what we end up with this time! Can't wait!