• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to cancel a reservation and not loose points

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Could I get some help understanding the cancellation and reservation changing rules?
I understand I can take out insurance and save some of the points. If I need to cancel a reservation is there a way that I can simply move it to a different reservation day further ahead and not loose the points? I seem to remember some comments about this in another thread but can't seem to find it.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
There are two types of HGVC reservations:
  • non-changeable such as
    • home week reservations
    • reservations booked with bonus points
    • reservation booked at Fiesta Americana (FA)
    • Open Season reservation
  • changeable reservation
    • most reservations booked during club season are a changeable reservation. There may be others but I know that a reservation at FA is not longer a changeable reservation.
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 7.50.36 AM.png

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Move the entire reservation ahead to 32 days or greater and cancel. Moving your reservation is free and once your reservation is greater than 31 days, all you lose is the booking fee.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If moving the reservation more than 30 days out is a problem becuz the resort is booked up for the next 9 months or thru 12/31, you can also change the resort at which you are booked

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The key in moving your reservation out is that the new reservation must use the same or more points than the original, otherwise the cancellation penalties listed in the table above kick in. I just pick a LV resort, as they always have plenty of availability and you can easily find a new reservation there. Then cancel and you are just out the reservation fee (if you paid one originally).

Kurt

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are two types of HGVC reservations:
  • non-changeable such as
    • home week reservations
    • reservations booked with bonus points
    • reservation booked at Fiesta Americana (FA)
    • Open Season reservation
  • changeable reservation
    • most reservations booked during club season are a changeable reservation. There may be others but I know that a reservation at FA is not longer a changeable reservation.
View attachment 11927

In order to comply with the "changeable within the 30 day prior to check in category", do I still need to pay the Cancellation Fee which I think is $62? It seems redundant or unnecessary if a person is willing the thread their way through the process of moving the reservation forward and then changing or cancelling as the case may be. Am I correct?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
In order to comply with the "changeable within the 30 day prior to check in category", do I still need to pay the Cancellation Fee which I think is $62? It seems redundant or unnecessary if a person is willing the thread their way through the process of moving the reservation forward and then changing or cancelling as the case may be. Am I correct?

There isn’t a cancellation fee, what they are referring to is the reservation fee you already paid. Its not refundable if you cancel, only the points.

Its better just to park the reservation further out then re-use it if you intend to travel this year at all, no sense paying another reservation fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There isn’t a cancellation fee, what they are referring to is the reservation fee you already paid. Its not refundable if you cancel, only the points.

Its better just to park the reservation further out then re-use it if you intend to travel this year at all, no sense paying another reservation fee.

There is a Cancellation Protection fee that is offered at the time of the reservation. I'm just trying to understand if you can slide the reservation ahead in the same size or greater point expenditure, why I would take the Cancellation Protection? Does this also mean than NO reservation can be cancelled unless you have paid this fee?

Cancellation Protection
At the time of reservation, cancellation protection is offered for Home Week, Home Resort Priority, by Hilton Club Priority, or Club reservations for a fee. Cancellation protection, if offered, allows a Member to cancel a reservation using ClubPoints within thirty-one (31) days of scheduled arrival with no loss of ClubPoints. Any transaction fees remain subject to applicable cancellation policies. Cancellation protection is offered for RCI Exchange Reservations. Cancellation protection is not available for reservations using Bonus Points or for any ClubPartner Perk reservation or transaction. Up to thirty-one (31) days prior to scheduled arrival, Members who own a fixed or event week may add cancellation protection to their automatic reservation for a fee by calling the Club.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Cancellation Protection fee that is offered at the time of the reservation. I'm just trying to understand if you can slide the reservation ahead in the same size or greater point expenditure, why I would take the Cancellation Protection? Does this also mean than NO reservation can be cancelled unless you have paid this fee?

The reason that that offer this is that they don't expect the vast majority of people to think of applying the shift trick. And they're probably right.

Most folks are much more "loose" with their points :)

Cheers.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The reason that that offer this is that they don't expect the vast majority of people to think of applying the shift trick.

And I sure that they don’t change the rules to remove that option either.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The reason that that offer this is that they don't expect the vast majority of people to think of applying the shift trick. And they're probably right.
I agree. However, you can only change a reservation to a date in the same calendar year. So if, for example, you have a Christmas week reservation and you think there might be a chance you will need to cancel it with short notice, you might consider the cancellation protection as otherwise you would not be able to change it to something greater than 30 days out.

Kurt

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Interesting :D

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. However, you can only change a reservation to a date in the same calendar year. So if, for example, you have a Christmas week reservation and you think there might be a chance you will need to cancel it with short notice, you might consider the cancellation protection as otherwise you would not be able to change it to something greater than 30 days out.

Kurt
I was wondering about that wrinkle. I think for the $62 I will just keep paying for the protection until I figure this out. I could not see how they could run a business and let people cancel the day before, so I am ok with some of these restrictions.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that wrinkle. I think for the $62 I will just keep paying for the protection until I figure this out. I could not see how they could run a business and let people cancel the day before, so I am ok with some of these restrictions.

To each their own. I don't pay any fees I don't have to. But that's me.

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was wondering about that wrinkle. I think for the $62 I will just keep paying for the protection until I figure this out...

Moving your points gets you eggsactly the same thing.
It seems pretty lame to "throw money down a rat hole."
This isn't rocket-science.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I suppose its worth paying for December reservations. All others can be changed easily inside 30 days. It used to be that only online reservations were changeable but they got rid of that a few years ago. No need to take the cancellation protection (fee).

From the Club Rules guide:
Changes to Reservations. All Home Resort Priority, by Hilton Club Priority, and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton
Grand Vacations Club affiliated resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided travel is completed during the same calendar year (not applicable to reservations using Bonus Points) .

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suppose its worth paying for December reservations. All others can be changed easily inside 30 days. It used to be that only online reservations were changeable but they got rid of that a few years ago. No need to take the cancellan protection (fee).

Changes to Reservations. All Home Resort Priority, by Hilton Club Priority, and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton
Grand Vacations Club affiliated resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided travel is completed during the same calendar year (not applicable to reservations using Bonus Points) .

That's good information SmithOp. In regards to an affiliate - specifically Fiesta Americana in Cabo - I was lead to believe that reservations cannot be cancelled period. Is it correct that within the same calendar year a reservation at FA could be moved forward? Can it also be reduced in duration in order to manage a possible cancellation? (I am paticularily sensitive to this issue having had to cancel two x two week RCI reservations in 2018 and loosing my entire booking fee and cancellation insurance in one instance and all the points in the other)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's good information SmithOp. In regards to an affiliate - specifically Fiesta Americana in Cabo - I was lead to believe that reservations cannot be cancelled period. Is it correct that within the same calendar year a reservation at FA could be moved forward? Can it also be reduced in duration in order to manage a possible cancellation? (I am paticularily sensitive to this issue having had to cancel two x two week RCI reservations in 2018 and loosing my entire booking fee and cancellation insurance in one instance and all the points in the other)

Well now you have picked out a specific affiliate with special rules. Changeable reservations are not allowed there, so that is another case for cancellation protection if its offered and you may cancel within 30 days.

We had a recent discussion about changes at this resort, this notice is still posted about the changes on the club web site. Note the last bullet point.

——————-
Important Information
After a recent evaluation, Hilton Grand Vacations has adjusted the ClubPoints value for 2020 reservations at Fiesta Americana Villas Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf and Spa Resort. The Points adjustment better reflects Club Member demand for the destination and the quality of the offerings at the resort. The adjustment does not impact existing reservations or new reservations for stays in 2019. The change is effective as of May 8, 2019.
All-inclusive amenities are NOT mandatory. Members and guests who elect to participate in the all-inclusive option at the resort will pay any related fees directly to the front desk.
2019 Pricing: $95 per adult, per day and $35 per child, ages 5-11, per day. Children under age 5 will not be charged a fee. Please note: the all-inclusive price per day is the same regardless of occupancy (1 or 2 guests).
2020 Pricing: $100 per adult, per day and $37 per child, ages 5-11, per day. Children under age 5 will not be charged a fee. Please note: the all-inclusive price per day is the same regardless of occupancy (1 or 2 guests).

Reservations require a standard, non-changeable reservation fee. The normal Club cancellation policy applies.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Okay, for non-changeable F/A & Home-Week it may be worth it.
Also, for December bookings (but once I changed 12/7 to 12/20).

None of this matters if you cancel 31+ days. All points are returned.
It's just that you lose your booking fee, and pay it again to rebook.

Last edited:

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called HGVC and if I understand them correctly, the term Non-Changeable simply means the reservation cannot be changed, period. However it can be cancelled and rebooked. So we have a 5 day reservation and would like 7 or 10 days, but if more days come available we cannot change our reservation to include the extra days. Instead we must cancel, loose our reservation fee, and rebook the longer time period.

The Cancellation Policy is the same as other resorts - free cancellation until 31 days, 50% loss of points from 31 to 15 days, and full loss of points 15 to 0 days. You can however buy the $64 Protection fee that permits cancellation right up to the date of the reservation.

That is my interpretation. If anyone has a different experience I would love to hear it.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Cancellation Policy is the same as other resorts - free cancellation until 31 days, 50% loss of points from 31 to 15 days, and full loss of points 15 to 0 days. You can however buy the $64 Protection fee that permits cancellation right up to the date of the reservation.

That is my interpretation. If anyone has a different experience I would love to hear it.

The difference we're talking about is that the regular HGVC and bHC resorts (and maybe some of the affiliates, but I don't know about that) *are* Changeable. As a result, they can be changed to a date outside of 31 days and simply cancelled with no loss of points, and no protection fee. One would just "loose" (or lose, even) the reservation fee here.

(I don't know if the Protection scam/fee also loses the reservation fee. if not, it's less of a scam).

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cancellation Protection
At the time of reservation, cancellation protection is offered for Home Week, Home Resort Priority, by Hilton Club Priority, or Club reservations for a fee. Cancellation protection, if offered, allows a Member to cancel a reservation using ClubPoints within thirty-one (31) days of scheduled arrival with no loss of ClubPoints. Any transaction fees remain subject to applicable cancellation policies. Cancellation protection is offered for RCI Exchange Reservations. Cancellation protection is not available for reservations using Bonus Points or for any ClubPartner Perk reservation or transaction. Up to thirty-one (31) days prior to scheduled arrival, Members who own a fixed or event week may add cancellation protection to their automatic reservation for a fee by calling the Club.

Realistically the only times one should probably consider buying the cancellation protection is:

1) the person is booking for 'later' in the year (ie, you book something now for say, Late Nov and Dec - IMO) and that if something happens you cannot/will not be able to use the points for the rest of the year. Like if you know that if you have to cancel you won't be able to take a vacation/use anything until the next calendar year.

2) There's sick family members involved (either traveling with you or otherwise) where something unexpected can happen (remember that changes less than 30 days will mean you'll have to use the same # of points and depending on what you originally booked, this may not be possible). Although I'd probably still caveat this one with a "later" (Q4) booking. Odds are if you booked a Feb stay you can find something through Nov at any resort using 4800-7000 points quite easily. Now, if this is in October/Nov. you might have a diff. problem.

3) Non-changeable bookings such as the FA resorts. I had to cancel twice (different years) and rebook, although it was far enough ahead that I was able to do so without penalty. But had I run up to the 30 days, then I would've been hosed.

Hilton *used* to have a TravelGuard policy that you could buy that would actually cover your MF for timeshare bookings, so that if you got sick/etc and had to cancel you may lose your points, but you'd get reimbursed for your MF. I *think* TravelGuard still has that plan but not available for Hilton any longer and no longer available in NY state (I love NY--augh).

In a way you can possibly think of this as travel insurance in that it can cover you in specific instances. Whether or not it's worth it for you is a diff. story.

I know people that absolutely refuse to buy any travel insurance any time or anywhere. I've almost always bought a policy and unfortunately have ended up using it 3 out of the last 12 trips.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know people that absolutely refuse to buy any travel insurance any time or anywhere. I've almost always bought a policy and unfortunately have ended up using it 3 out of the last 12 trips.

Definitely a personal decision. If I were to add up all we would have paid for the insurance and all we have paid by not having it, we've come out way ahead. One thing that helps is having status with airlines and hotels such that they do more for us when things go awry. One could certainly look at that as a different way of paying for "trip insurance," of course :)

Cheers.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I suppose its worth paying for December reservations. All others can be changed easily inside 30 days. It used to be that only online reservations were changeable but they got rid of that a few years ago. No need to take the cancellation protection (fee).

I want to make a reservation at Grand Pacific Palisades GPP. However during the reservation process I saw the following under the HGVC Cancellation and Change Policy section, which seems to conflict with statements in the 2019 Club Rules above. So has anyone been able to change dates on a GPX affiliated resort reservation without additional fees? Or did you have to do a cancel and rebook? TIA

*Please note that all reservations made with Bonus Points, including Home Resort and Club reservations, are non-changeable. Reservations using Club Points or Bonus Points at affiliated resorts, and Fiesta Americana resorts are non-changeable. Open Season Reservations may not be changed and the standard cancellation policy applies. Reservations booked with ClubPoints or Bonus Points and later canceled cannot be rebooked into the same resort for the same time period using Open Season rental rates.