• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescinded! Now just a couple of questions...

Rachman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you TUG family for talking me into rescinding. Sent the letter this morning. Just a couple of questions on the right timeshare on eBay/classified's. 1) As I am not sure how far RCI points go since we are not RCI members yet - due to our work schedule, we're looking to do 3 two-evening getaways + 1 week getaway per year (4 getaways total/year). Would a timeshare at the same place that is 92500 RCI points annually (more expensive - due to MF's @ $969/more points) or 74000 (37000/annual) RCI points Biennially (less expensive - due to MF's @ $485/less points), get me closer to breaking even each year? 2) Would I run out of points with one or have way too many points left over with the other? 3) If I have plenty of left over points, is it plausible to sell the points on eBay/classified's?
Thanks again!

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you TUG family for talking me into rescinding. Sent the letter this morning. Just a couple of questions on the right timeshare on eBay/classified's. 1) As I am not sure how far RCI points go since we are not RCI members yet - due to our work schedule, we're looking to do 3 two-evening getaways + 1 week getaway per year (4 getaways total/year). Would a timeshare at the same place that is 92500 RCI points annually (more expensive - due to MF's @ $969/more points) or 74000 (37000/annual) RCI points Biennially (less expensive - due to MF's @ $485/less points), get me closer to breaking even each year? 2) Would I run out of points with one or have way too many points left over with the other? 3) If I have plenty of left over points, is it plausible to sell the points on eBay/classified's?
Thanks again!

1BR or larger? In high season? Gold crown? It all depends really.

If it helps, I have a 98k point Grandview. I’ve booked a 2BR Thanksgiving week in the southeast for a full week and a 3BR in New England July 4th for a full week and still have 18k points left over which should get me a weekend or two somewhere.

In off season you can get weeks for 10k points or less, or even 0 points as last calls.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1) As I am not sure how far RCI points go since we are not RCI members yet - due to our work schedule, we're looking to do 3 two-evening getaways + 1 week getaway per year (4 getaways total/year). Would a timeshare at the same place that is 92500 RCI points annually (more expensive - due to MF's @ $969/more points) or 74000 (37000/annual) RCI points Biennially (less expensive - due to MF's @ $485/less points), get me closer to breaking even each year? 2) Would I run out of points with one or have way too many points left over with the other? 3) If I have plenty of left over points, is it plausible to sell the points on eBay/classified's?
Thanks again!
I think you should buy the smaller EOY contract in this case. (If you buy at all!) I get about 42K points a year, and find that I can usually find a 1 BR Summer season at resorts we like for around 35K. If I need more, I can borrow, or 'rent' additional. That said, cruising in't our ONLY form of vacationing. We also cruise, use VRBOs and have a second home. I urge you to proceed slowly- timeshares are easy to buy, but hard to unload if you find you have too much.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so very happy you found us in time to rescind and save a fortune buying resale!

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again!

When I was looking for a timeshare I obsessed over how many points I needed, but what I found was the 98K I got was plenty for my travel habits, which is one "big" stay a year and a few bargain week stays for low points.

Here is an example, right now there a 3 1BRs available at Saratoga Springs at Disney. Two are 23,500 points (very low) and one is 68,000 points (average). All are for a week. A 2BR at Wyndham Bonnet Creek is available in December for 49,000 points.

I have gotten a 2BR at the last minute a couple of times for 8,000 points. (dirt cheap)

For the 98K points I own at Grandview, I paid $835 for maintenance fees. Then I paid for my RCI membership, about $120.

When I exchange into a resort, like Saratoga Springs, you pay a transaction fee of $239. Disney also charges a resort fee of $190.

If I book that stay at Bonnet Creek, I would only page the $239 because they don't have a resort fee.

As for leftover points, I've had a few points extended a couple of times, but so long as you travel, I've never had an issue with too many leftover points.

Rachman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! So If we have one big getaway - ideally 2 BR, We will spend about 50K or so for Points, while exchange fees would be about $239 + Resort Fee [How much are those usually?]. Then 3x during the year we spend about 10-15K Total with exchange fees for 2 nights are around $79 + Resort Fee. That is 4 vacations totaling 90K or so with total exchange fees $476 (239 + (79x3)). This on top of my maintenance fee of $970 = MF(970 + 476) = $1446.00 annual in room expenses. Other than Resort Fee's & Tax's is there anything else to consider?

Also, how do RCI points membership work with airline fare? Heard that is an option as well.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, how do RCI points membership work with airline fare? Heard that is an option as well.
Use timeshare points for timeshare stays. Using points for things like cruises and airfare is a poor use of your MF $$. All it gives you is a discount from full retail prices when there are discounts available from any number of booking engines.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Thank you! So If we have one big getaway - ideally 2 BR, We will spend about 50K or so for Points, while exchange fees would be about $239 + Resort Fee [How much are those usually?]. Then 3x during the year we spend about 10-15K Total with exchange fees for 2 nights are around $79 + Resort Fee. That is 4 vacations totaling 90K or so with total exchange fees $476 (239 + (79x3)). This on top of my maintenance fee of $970 = MF(970 + 476) = $1446.00 annual in room expenses. Other than Resort Fee's & Tax's is there anything else to consider?

Not all timeshares charge resort fees.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Congrats on rescinding! My suggestion to you is to really research options like Hilton points, Grand Pacific resort time, Holiday Inn Club to see the best value and what works for you. Most branded timeshares have their own trading system.

RCI isn’t the only game in town. I have found their fees are outrageous. For example exchanging at Hilton is around 50 dollars versus RCI nearing 300. Also, RCI can’t guarantee availability anywhere so if you want a certain area, you may be disappointed. This also holds true though with other systems,

Read what others are saying about RCI. I always check out various review pages to get a feel on whether I want to do business with a company or not. Here’s just one example:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/rci.html

I am not sure how much timesharing you have done. Maybe rent for awhile and scour here and EBay for a deal.

The best recommendation is buy the resort you always want to stay at then trade if you want something different.

For me, I just rent and find it works well for me. I want freedom when I travel and not being chained to any resort or exchange system. But....that’s me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rachman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on rescinding! My suggestion to you is to really research options like Hilton points, Grand Pacific resort time, Holiday Inn Club to see the best value and what works for you. Most branded timeshares have their own trading system.

RCI isn’t the only game in town. I have found their fees are outrageous. For example exchanging at Hilton is around 50 dollars versus RCI nearing 300. Also, RCI can’t guarantee availability anywhere so if you want a certain area, you may be disappointed. This also holds true though with other systems,

Read what others are saying about RCI. I always check out various review pages to get a feel on whether I want to do business with a company or not. Here’s just one example:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/rci.html

I am not sure how much timesharing you have done. Maybe rent for awhile and scour here and EBay for a deal.

The best recommendation is buy the resort you always want to stay at then trade if you want something different.

For me, I just rent and find it works well for me. I want freedom when I travel and not being chained to any resort or exchange system. But....that’s me.

This would be my first purchase. I am supposing I would have to own a Hilton TS to use Hilton Points. I heard Hilton works with RCI also. Is that correct? I also saw 3.5 Million Points of RCI only for Wyndham Resorts available for $0.01/point, I assume they cannot be used with RCI unless you have a Wyndham TS? Was so tempting to buy.

Also, Where are the best places to find rent properties?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
This would be my first purchase. I am supposing I would have to own a Hilton TS to use Hilton Points. I heard Hilton works with RCI also. Is that correct? I also saw 3.5 Million Points of RCI only for Wyndham Resorts available for $0.01/point, I assume they cannot be used with RCI unless you have a Wyndham TS? Was so tempting to buy.

Yes, you have to buy a Hilton timeshare to get and use Hilton points. Yes, you can go to the RCI side thru Hilton website.

No, but you have to have an RCI account and for that you need an RCI affiliated timeshare.

I like TUGs last minute section. The maximum charge is 800 for a week. I only do business though with long term TUG members to reduce risk of being scammed. Saying that, it has never happened. Redweek.com is good too. Just go to their rental section. EBay.com has rentals up for auction. Check out resortime as well. And scour google. There are plenty of site beyond what I have stated.

Lastly, Expedia, hotels.com and others rent timeshare space as well and the resorts themselves.

Funny, when I used to have RCI long time ago, I could not find an exchange at a certain place. But could ALWAYS get the place I want IF I’m willing to pay 2k cash up front. They called it extra vacations. I always found that weird. That was another reason I rid myself of RCI.

Oh, if you want Mexico and want to exchange via RCI, most resorts REQUIRE you to pay 150 a day and up PER person all inclusive fee. I have found all inclusive resort packages for much less.

Anyway, please do your homework. You will then come up with what fits you and not be disappointed.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
One last thing.

Don’t listen to sales people. They have a wonderful way to make buying an old Arkansas outhouse a wonderful, fresh idea.

You need to know the bare truth to make an informed choice. And that takes time. That’s why I suggest you research well first to ensure your choice is really what you want.

Remember too Most maintenance fees are due Jan. 1 of each year right after Christmas expenses. They average about 1 k a year and go up every year. Also, have 5 k on the ready in case a Special Assessment pops up. They might or might not. Owners are billed extra (called special assessments) if an emergency hits (like a hurricane repair) or anything deemed an emergency.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

The best thing you can do is research before you buy. Explore the different systems by reading the threads in the system forums. Think about what you want, where you want to go and how you travel. These answers will determine what and where you should buy, or even if you should buy at all.

Copy and paste the questions and your answers into a new thread in the newbie forum. Let the collective knowledge of Tug help you.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/

Do not jump in without prior research and thought. You've already avoided one potential problem, don't make another (with no rescind period) by jumping in too quickly.

Rachman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. It is looking more and more like Renting is the way to go. I mean, if Hotels.com are renting timeshare just as freely as the next vacation engine why pay the RCI and other fees?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. It is looking more and more like Renting is the way to go. I mean, if Hotels.com are renting timeshare just as freely as the next vacation engine why pay the RCI and other fees?
That's what we told you. For now, RENT. Learn about TS, and when the 'right' one that really works for you comes along, you'll know when to jump on it.

Until then, remember ol' Jim's words: The best 'point system' is cash. No conversion factor, and it's universally accepted.

Jim

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Think of renting as your timesharing 101 course. By renting you can experience the different locations and timeshare systems with no risk. You may find a resort you really like. You can then ask all the questions here at TUG to make sure the system fits your lifestyle. With renting, there is no urgency.

I joined TUG 1.5 years before I even owned a timeshare.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
That's what we told you. For now, RENT. Learn about TS, and when the 'right' one that really works for you comes along, you'll know when to jump on it.

Until then, remember ol' Jim's words: The best 'point system' is cash. No conversion factor, and it's universally accepted.

Jim

Right on...cash is King. And with cash comes FREEDOM! To choose much more than points that have restrictions.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Hey, if you are looking for a FREE timeshare where seller pays all costs, there is a resent thread on TUG. I think you were going to play 9 k for Vacation Village right? One is up right now FREE. I will try to attach the link in the next post.