• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resell Vacation Club Points

ebm

Reaction score
We have 6500 points we'd like to sell. Marriott's offer is $2.20/point. Where could we look to ge better offers? Thanks, Evan

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
TUG Marketplace. There are a few Facebook groups for 'Marriott Vacation Club Buy/Sell/Rent'. RedWeek. Broker.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
TUG Marketplace. There are a few Facebook groups for 'Marriott Vacation Club Buy/Sell/Rent'. RedWeek. Broker.
Ebay ha
We have 6500 points we'd like to sell. Marriott's offer is $2.20/point. Where could we look to ge better offers? Thanks, Evan
Ebay has been averaging $2 a point plus all the Marriott junk fees. A buyer must pay Marriott to transfer resale points. It would seem, letting Marriott buy back your points might be the way to go, I am not a Marriott owner or expert, others on here will set you in the right direction.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought 1500 points for a bit less than $3 per point. If you could get $3 for your points, it might be worth the effort. I'm not looking forward to the day when we'll be looking to sell our points.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I'd also recommend Redweek. The problem with selling points now is that since 2019 Marriott charges a $3/point enrollment fee, instead of $2 as it had been since the start of points. That means someone who buys your points for $3 actually has to pay $6 in total to use the points at all, so you are basically asking a resale buyer to fork over $39K (not including any additional closing/escrow/etc fees).

Essentially Marriott completely annihilated any resale value for points... and they likely will continue a march toward $4/point, $5/point, etc to wipe out what's left of any perceived value of resale whatsoever. Marriott does NOT want points owners to be able to recoup anything.

You'll have much better luck using the Redweek verification process and perhaps also selling your points off in chunks of various sizes. No one is going to spend $40K without complete verification.

If you need a reseller, I'd recommend Wally A(kuna) Timeshare Resales Hawaii. Honest to a fault. We've used for buying and selling multiple times.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

That is not a bad offer since it is an easy sale and it seems hard to sell trust points.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
$2.20 is good. They offered me $1.67 a few months ago for my 4,000 points.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
That is not a bad offer since it is an easy sale and it seems hard to sell trust points.

I was thinking the same thing. A guaranteed offer of $2.20/point may be better than rolling the dice and trying to get $3.50 or $4.00 since points tend to be harder to resell than weeks.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought 1500 points for a bit less than $3 per point. If you could get $3 for your points, it might be worth the effort. I'm not looking forward to the day when we'll be looking to sell our points.

When that day comes you will probably have to pay someone to take them. Considering weeks based maintenance fees started at around $300-$400, can you imagine what the fees will be on points in 10-20 years? Insanity...

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
When that day comes you will probably have to pay someone to take them. Considering weeks based maintenance fees started at around $300-$400, can you imagine what the fees will be on points in 10-20 years? Insanity...

You could equally say imagine what hotel rates will be in 10-20 years. Maintenance fees aren't the only things that go up over time. We paid around $200/night in 1992 for oceanview/front luxury hotel rooms in Hawaii. Those same rooms are $500-$600 today.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could equally say imagine what hotel rates will be in 10-20 years. Maintenance fees aren't the only things that go up over time. We paid around $200/night in 1992 for oceanview/front luxury hotel rooms in Hawaii. Those same rooms are $500-$600 today.

I agree in principal but the problem with timeshare vs hotel inflation is there is a for profit entity that owns the hotel and makes the revenue and cost decisions. They have an incentive to adjust to the market in good times and bad. Timeshare expenses on the other hand are largely not controlled by the owners. By the nature of the operation there really can't be a maintenance fee reduction during bad years, unless there is somehow actual deflation.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree in principal but the problem with timeshare vs hotel inflation is there is a for profit entity that owns the hotel and makes the revenue and cost decisions. They have an incentive to adjust to the market in good times and bad. Timeshare expenses on the other hand are largely not controlled by the owners. By the nature of the operation there really can't be a maintenance fee reduction during bad years, unless there is somehow actual deflation.

True, but as someone pointed out in another thread, while timeshare maintenance fees can't really go down in bad times like hotel rates do, they also may not go up as fast as hotel rates do during good times. It can work both ways. More predictability, maybe?

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
8A75216F-4944-4933-ADC4-FA4DE9B39FDA.jpeg
True, but as someone pointed out in another thread, while timeshare maintenance fees can't really go down in bad times like hotel rates do, they also may not go up as fast as hotel rates do during good times. I can work both ways. More predictability, maybe?
Very true.
For our resort MFs, they have never gone down but also they have never gone up as high as hotel rates in some years.
The current hotel rate rise is not very different from our current MF rate rise, when averaged out across all of our home resort weeks.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
View attachment 11936

Very true.
For our resort MFs, they have never gone down but also they have never gone up as high as hotel rates in some years.
The current hotel rate rise is not very different from our current MF rate rise, when averaged out across all of our home resort weeks.

Interesting chart for a numbers geek like me...I wish that chart went back through the 2007-2009 financial crisis, when I'm sure rates dropped precipitously. I bet the big increases in 2010-2011 are the response to those drops, with the hoteliers trying to re-normalize rates as the world economy began to recover. This looks like a perfect example of how hotel rates go up in good/improving times at a much faster rate than do maintenance fees/expense-based costs. The rate-of-change of economic growth is often at its highest right after the economy reverses from negative growth to positive growth, so this shows how market-based prices can react.

I interpret the dip in 2012-13 as the response to the almost double dip recession, and in some parts of the world it was more than "almost" (these are obviously international stats). While the U.S. economic growth has recovered more assertively over the last four years or so, our 2%-3% growth is still not a "boom" by historic standards - and much of the rest of the developed world's growth is still even more anemic. As a result, modest, steady growth in hotel rates would be expected. A true boom would probably result in numbers closer to the 2010-11 numbers on the chart.