• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why are time shares a scam??

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
There are so many cases gone bad in Mexico that the the government has an office dedicated to helping victims—PROFECO.

I love Mexico and go there often. Unfortunately, they do have a corruption challenge. I suppose one has to know the country they are dealing with before they lay their hard earned cash down.

Frankly, there are many countries I wouldn’t buy a timeshare from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Westgate hides their cancellation/rescind forms in a hidden pocket.

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/westgate-cancellation-secret-pocket.html

True, but you must legally sign directly below where it states that you have the right to rescind within x days depending on the state. If you read before you signed you would know this as it must be in font 14 bold letters.

I agree, if they are doing this it is slimy. But, in a court of law all they have to show is your signature directly below the bold disclosure. If that is not present, you can dump them and sue for misrepresentation and perhaps fraud plus you can recover all costs and interest at prescribed state rates.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
This is why I still think it should be required to have a buyer and seller lawyer in all timeshare transactions. Most timeshares are real property and should have the same formality. This would solve so many issues and allegations. This also gives a natural cool down time and safety by having a lawyer look at all documents and advise.

Back room sign parties lead room for allegations after the execution of documents.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our timeshare salesperson at Smugglers Notch was wonderful and did not lie to us. We bought directly form the resort and have owned it for so many years it was worth every penny.

Now that it has Wyndham involved in the sales process, they have sleazy salespeople there. So we have to deal with them at check-in. Well- let me correct that- I refuse to deal with them at check in and let them know it.

At our Pollard Brook one, which we acquired for free in 2015, no one bothers us with sales pitches thankfully.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
WHO WE ARE
The Time Share Users Group (TUG) has been Providing the truth about timeshares to owners for over 25 years! The Timeshare User's Group, started in 1993 by a group of Timeshare Owners just like yourself, is a family run self-help organization providing an unbiased source of consumer oriented information and advice on Timeshares and the Timeshare concept. Here at TUG you get the truth about timeshares for FREE!

TUG cuts through the lies & "BS" providing the Truth about Timeshares!

Count yourself as one of the lucky ones, you have found the first and largest Timeshare resource site on the internet! No matter what the Topic or question, you will find honest answers provided by the tens of thousands of timeshare owners already part of the TUG family. Plus you will build wonderful relationships with other owners who are just like you!

The most common quote we hear from new members is "I wish I had known about TUG before I bought my first Timeshare!"

If aspects of timesharing were/are not suspect, why did Bill find it necessary to start TUG? Why was it necessary to expose the truth? And, why are there new posts almost every day revealing ongoing scammy-ness, 26 years later? Why would you even ask if there are timeshare scams?

Sorta like someone saying, "I am not a crook."

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
If aspects of timesharing were/are not suspect, why did Bill find it necessary to start TUG? Why was it necessary to expose the truth? And, why are there new posts almost every day revealing ongoing scammy-ness, 26 years later? Why would you even ask if there are timeshare scams?

Sorta like someone saying, "I am not a crook."

And OldGuy drops the mic!

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent all of last week at Bay Lake Towers in Disneyworld. Renting - not owning. At every kiosk I saw at the parks, there were people wanting to know details from the attendants. Conversations. No "interviews." Every owner I met loved their Disney timeshare. The concept of "timesharing" is NOT a scam. The implementation by some companies IS.

The big "gift." Followed by the 90 minute presentation that never lasts 90 minutes. The pressure to buy TODAY. The verbal representations that get thrown out because of the contract clause refuting verbal representations. The use of 3-4 sales persons who need to make a sale to live. The hurried signing of a LIFETIME contract that never gets mentioned by a salesperson. The stack of papers that may be on a electronic device that seniors can't understand. The non-mention of the rescission period. And the unavailability to log on to the company website until the rescission period has expired. And, lastly the non-mention that the whole complete contract is virtually worthless the day after the rescission period expires. Yes, SOME timeshares are a scam. Especially to the uninitiated.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I spent all of last week at Bay Lake Towers in Disneyworld. Renting - not owning. At every kiosk I saw at the parks, there were people wanting to know details from the attendants. Conversations. No "interviews." Every owner I met loved their Disney timeshare. The concept of "timesharing" is NOT a scam. The implementation by some companies IS.

The big "gift." Followed by the 90 minute presentation that never lasts 90 minutes. The pressure to buy TODAY. The verbal representations that get thrown out because of the contract clause refuting verbal representations. The use of 3-4 sales persons who need to make a sale to live. The hurried signing of a LIFETIME contract that never gets mentioned by a salesperson. The stack of papers that may be on a electronic device that seniors can't understand. The non-mention of the rescission period. And the unavailability to log on to the company website until the rescission period has expired. And, lastly the non-mention that the whole complete contract is virtually worthless the day after the rescission period expires. Yes, SOME timeshares are a scam. Especially to the uninitiated.

Ah the trinket trick!

Works every Time!

Reminds me of when the Indians traded expensive beaver pelts for a cheap bottle of liquor.

That’s why I never accept any gift and never go to presentations. I’ll buy my own liquor and pay for my own adventures thank you very much!

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our timeshare salesperson at Smugglers Notch was wonderful and did not lie to us. We bought directly form the resort and have owned it for so many years it was worth every penny.

Now that it has Wyndham involved in the sales process, they have sleazy salespeople there. So we have to deal with them at check-in. Well- let me correct that- I refuse to deal with them at check in and let them know it.

At our Pollard Brook one, which we acquired for free in 2015, no one bothers us with sales pitches thankfully.

My one time at Smugglers Notch, the check in woman was so nice and begged us to sign up for an update, my wife did. Once at the update, she looked up my record and found that I am a member of TUG. She got very nasty quickly and believed that we go on these updates purposefully to aggravate the sales people.

The few times we go to the update we always get sent to a 'special' person.

Joe

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score

Iggy, I am just curious, what size unit did you have and how much did you pay to rent. How does it compare to maintenance paid?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Sure, compared to Wastegate, et al, DVC is relatively innocent. But even there, not everyone is happy:

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/celebrati...e/disney-vacation-club-0733-102655/complaints

Of course, one could spend the day/week/month scouring the internet for unhappy DVC owners, or any timeshare group.

I believe that greatest enemy of timeshare is public opinion, and each of the shortcomings of the industry goes to fuel that negative public opinion. I don't point out anything that others are not already pointing out; I'm just doing it in a place where something might be done about it.

Squeaky wheel sorta thing.

Actually, it works, but slowly.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
My one time at Smugglers Notch, the check in woman was so nice and begged us to sign up for an update, my wife did. Once at the update, she looked up my record and found that I am a member of TUG. She got very nasty quickly and believed that we go on these updates purposefully to aggravate the sales people.

The few times we go to the update we always get sent to a 'special' person.

Joe

I'm chuckling because a couple years ago at one of our resorts, actually where we live and own for amenities rights, they added that second table a couple years ago, with the pretext of going there to get your pool passes. When I checked in, the new person at the second table started to greet me, and the check-in person said something like, "No, no, just give him the passes."

:cool:

The last time we went on a "tour" (at Wastegate) was the last time we went on a tour. After we ate breakfast and answered the "Pretalk" questions, revealing our use of timeshares and Internet rentals, our rep told us to wait right there, and he went outside to smoke a cigarette. I got a few more scrambled eggs and link sausages.

He never came back.

After that, DW said that if I ever wanted to do a tour again, I would have to go with her brother.

:cool:

Other than the size of the room (which wasn't there 30 years ago) nothing much had changed in 30 years.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Let's just be honest . . . without all the bells and whistles, the dog and pony show, the trinkets, the hyperbole, there would be no timeshares. People don't just wake up one day and say, "Honey, you know what we need . . . . "

&, it is that hyberbole (hyperbole being the exact word to describe timeshare sales presentations), that leads to dissatisfaction, and people wanting out because it is not what was represented.

So, call it whatever you want.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I do hate how they tie parking passes to presentations. Rented Wyndham as a last minute Spring Break trip. I politely declined by explaining we own at the competitors, MVC. When that didn’t work, I firmly explained I have a son w/ Autism and daycare is never an option. All for a darn parking pass. Grrrr

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate that dance also. I usually end it by saying fairly loudly that if I do not get my pass now the next few minutes will not be enjoyed by you, me, and every other person in this room.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Especially when TUG is often calling TSs a scam.

I have not picked up on that.

The preponderance of TUG is timeshare-lovers loving their timeshares with other timeshare lovers loving their timeshares.

Historically, there has been a bit of self-pride, pride-in-ownership-for-what-I-own, self-righteousness, gloating, bragging, and the like, but the preponderance is that timeshares are good and we are here to make them even better.

This is not, primarily, a timeshare complaint forum. The Internet is full of those.

However, in recent years, for many reasons, issues with timeshares have become more prevalent.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I've purchased all of my timeshares via resale and I feel I got a bargain on each and every one.

When you buy resale, no one has oversold you, there's no false promises, and no unfulfilled expectations.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have not picked up on that.

The preponderance of TUG is timeshare-lovers loving their timeshares with other timeshare lovers loving their timeshares.

Historically, there has been a bit of self-pride, pride-in-ownership-for-what-I-own, self-righteousness, gloating, bragging, and the like, but the preponderance is that timeshares are good and we are here to make them even better.

This is not, primarily, a timeshare complaint forum. The Internet is full of those.

However, in recent years, for many reasons, issues with timeshares have become more prevalent.

It is everywhere on TUG. Mostly anger toward developers for being “greedy” and “corporations out to make a profit.” Things like that are pretty common on TUG. Almost daily if not more. I can’t believe there are greedy corporations trying to make their business as profitable as possible! I thought USA was moving away from capitalism. Maybe it is time for the government to own the developers so the rich can subsidize the poor on vacation. No more MFs just income-adjusted usage fees.