• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott making it impossible to buy/sell resales

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Although I respect those who choose the timeshare lifestyle, I too have learned over the years not to get locked in. I agree TUG is a great platform to learn. No, I’m not a hater of timeshares. Many of the resorts are beautiful places. I just simply enjoy the freedom to base my trips on price. Just for comparison, here is where I have stayed this past winter with costs.

1. September 14 to 21. Maui Ocean Club. A last minute rental on TUG. 2 bedroom, ocean front. Cost 800.00

2. Puerto Vallarta November 12 to 21. Stayed at friendly Vallarta. Cost 1100.00 all in. This included flights, all meals, drinks, airport transfer and ocean front room.

3. Las Vegas January 10 to 15. Airbnb. 2 bedroom condo. 3 blocks from strip. 200.00

4. Hono Kona Lahaina Hawaii. February 18-25. Rented the week for 600.00 on redweek. 2 bedroom ocean front.

I have read many different threads of owners here loving their weeks in awesome resorts and sharing their experiences. Those are the threads I enjoy the most. It’s wonderful to see others enjoying life.

So, I don’t think it’s educated versus uneducated. I personally don’t hate timeshares. I just prefer to rent as I believe with careful planning I can do better than owning.

When I do rent a timeshare, I enjoy talking to the community of owners as well. They are wonderful people. That is another reason I joined TUG.

There are always bargains but the problem being is that they're not consistently there enough to regularly say I can go for cheaper. Finding a system where you can reliably makes a huge difference.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
There are always bargains but the problem being is that they're not consistently there enough to regularly say I can go for cheaper. Finding a system where you can reliably makes a huge difference.

The only thing that isn’t consistent is getting one particular place. For example, I planned to go to Maui in September. I spent hours looking at various sites for deals. I ended up with Maui Ocean Club. I have never had trouble finding cheap accommodation in any location yet. But, I have to scour to find them.

Personally, I find it fun not knowing where I am staying next. All I care about is the location and the time I have chosen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The only thing that isn’t consistent is getting one particular place. For example, I planned to go to Maui in September. I spent hours looking at various sites for deals. I ended up with Maui Ocean Club. I have never had trouble finding cheap accommodation in any location yet. But, I have to scour to find them.

Personally, I find it fun not knowing where I am staying next. All I care about is the location and the time I have chosen.

Also, based on your post above, you've scored a lot of your cheap rentals with last minute deals on TUG, direct rental from owners, Redweek, etc. That's great for folks who are comfortable with that booking model. For those of us who aren't quite so comfortable with direct rentals from owners, timeshares wind up looking very attractive versus hotel bookings, condo bookings through realtors and other middlemen, etc. I'm not saying we would never use an AirBnB, but it would only be in places where there were no timeshares or branded (Marriott/Hilton/Westin/etc.) hotels. I tend to not like surprises on vacation, so that big sign out front allows us to know what to expect.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Also, based on your post above, you've scored a lot of your cheap rentals with last minute deals on TUG, direct rental from owners, Redweek, etc. That's great for folks who are comfortable with that booking model. For those of us who aren't quite so comfortable with direct rentals from owners, timeshares wind up looking very attractive versus hotel bookings, condo bookings through realtors and other middlemen, etc. I'm not saying we would never use an AirBnB, but it would only be in places where there were no timeshares or branded (Marriott/Hilton/Westin/etc.) hotels. I tend to not like surprises on vacation, so that big sign out front allows us to know what to expect.

Yes, an you are right. Another advantage of owning is you know what you are getting. I personally have never had a problem with owner direct. I have always received what was offered.

Frankly, I found renting better than exchanging too. Years ago, I had timeshares and could rarely get what I want from RCI. They were usually not available in my desired location. I did think of buying the resort in the area I wanted but found renting gets me there. As I said though, there are times I might spend an entire day or even 2 finding what I need.

My favourite surprise rental was getting a Christmas week at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua for 700. It was a 2 bedroom and a real treat. Those ones however are miracle rentals but do happen once in awhile.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I respect those who choose the timeshare lifestyle, I too have learned over the years not to get locked in. I agree TUG is a great platform to learn. No, I’m not a hater of timeshares. Many of the resorts are beautiful places. I just simply enjoy the freedom to base my trips on price. Just for comparison, here is where I have stayed this past winter with costs.

1. September 14 to 21. Maui Ocean Club. A last minute rental on TUG. 2 bedroom, ocean front. Cost 800.00

2. Puerto Vallarta November 12 to 21. Stayed at friendly Vallarta. Cost 1100.00 all in. This included flights, all meals, drinks, airport transfer and ocean front room.

3. Las Vegas January 10 to 15. Airbnb. 2 bedroom condo. 3 blocks from strip. 200.00

4. Hono Kona Lahaina Hawaii. February 18-25. Rented the week for 600.00 on redweek. 2 bedroom ocean front.

I have read many different threads of owners here loving their weeks in awesome resorts and sharing their experiences. Those are the threads I enjoy the most. It’s wonderful to see others enjoying life.

So, I don’t think it’s educated versus uneducated. I personally don’t hate timeshares. I just prefer to rent as I believe with careful planning I can do better than owning.

When I do rent a timeshare, I enjoy talking to the community of owners as well. They are wonderful people. That is another reason I joined TUG.

But then you add air into the equation so what you saved on a short notice option, you may pay extra in other fees like car and air. Personally I would not be comfortable waiting for my main options, if you're OK with that and the time/work involved in chasing those, then it may work. I want savings but consistently and the ability to plan ahead. Eventually you're going to get frustrated and/or not be able to find something you want for a price you're comfortable with for a given trip. It's not much different than the buy to own vs exchange methodology with timeshares only it's even more uncertain and variable. It may not be uneducated vs knowledgeable in your case but often it is. I get contacts from family an friends all the time about wanting to go to the beach 4th of July or on a holiday weekend. That HHI trip with 51 I had a friend want me to help them find a beach location looking about 6 weeks out, I could find nothing through MVC, Wyndham, Bluegreen, RCI or II, nothing at all. The week they were asking for was 1 or 2 off ours but I had one exchange to Heritage I was only going to use 2 nights leading in (plus the free golf) so I invited them to go with us and come those 5 nights which they did, great time was had by all. I just had a call from a first cousin this past week wanting suggestions for a reasonable cost option for Hilton Head for a friends honeymoon for the holiday weekend in 2 weeks, yea right!. Nothing available other than on cash at $200 a night and up, mostly up.

Reactions: jme

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Frankly, I found renting better than exchanging too. Years ago, I had timeshares and could rarely get what I want from RCI. They were usually not available in my desired location. I did think of buying the resort in the area I wanted but found renting gets me there. As I said though, there are times I might spend an entire day or even 2 finding what I need.

No argument on this statement. I hate RCI/II exchanging. The process is not appealing to us - deposit, search, wait... We just completed our last RCI exchange from leftover deposits from a prior ownership and will let our membership expire. I doubt we will do any more II exchanges with our Marriott ownership, unless it's in an emergency use-it-or-lose-it situation. Going forward we'll book our owned Marriott weeks, or book using Marriott DC Points, or book Marriott/Hilton/Westin hotels for non-timeshare travel.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My favourite surprise rental was getting a Christmas week at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua for 700. It was a 2 bedroom and a real treat. Those ones however are miracle rentals but do happen once in awhile.

A great deal, to be sure, but I have to ask: what about airfares?

Last minute travel puts you at the vagaries of the airlines -- high fares, leftover connections, lousy travel times. Especially on a Christmas vacation trip. Just for example: last Thanksgiving, I could have taken my family to Kauai Lagoons, but the airfares would have been $1,500pp.

The additional financial and non-financial costs of purchasing airplane tickets at the last minute often more than balances out the rental savings, especially if you are paying for two or four or more airplane tickets.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
But then you add air into the equation so what you saved on a short notice option, you may pay extra in other fees like car and air. Personally I would not be comfortable waiting for my main options, if you're OK with that and the time/work involved in chasing those, then it may work. I want savings but consistently and the ability to plan ahead. Eventually you're going to get frustrated and/or not be able to find something you want for a price you're comfortable with for a given trip. It's not much different than the buy to own vs exchange methodology with timeshares only it's even more uncertain and variable. It may not be uneducated vs knowledgeable in your case but often it is. I get contacts from family an friends all the time about wanting to go to the beach 4th of July or on a holiday weekend. That HHI trip with 51 I had a friend want me to help them find a beach location looking about 6 weeks out, I could find nothing through MVC, Wyndham, Bluegreen, RCI or II, nothing at all. The week they were asking for was 1 or 2 off ours but I had one exchange to Heritage I was only going to use 2 nights leading in (plus the free golf) so I invited them to go with us and come those 5 nights which they did, great time was had by all. I just had a call from a first cousin this past week wanting suggestions for a reasonable cost option for Hilton Head for a friends honeymoon for the holiday weekend in 2 weeks, yea right!. Nothing available other than on cash at $200 a night and up, mostly up.

Normally, air and car costs can be higher if you book last minute.

Call it backwards but many times I book the air and car first then the accommodations. To date I have never had a problem finding a good deal.

I do have a plan though.

If I can’t find a place I can always get a camping spot. I just bring a tent. So far, plan b has not been needed

Hostel would be plan c.

Sorry no plan d....palm tree perhaps?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)

Consistently, 90% of my trades and travels have been to Hawaii. Most many of these have been at peak times like holidays and have had it consistently enough over the past 8 years to say that it is most definitely possible. I posted in another thread listing all the weeks during Christmas, New Years, Spring break, thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Black Friday, etc year after year after year. At some point, you have to recognize, its not a fluke accident. It takes planning but it is definitely doable.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Funny story to tell you. A friend of mine owned a timeshare in Hawaii with a MAJOR brand. Anyway, when he arrived they screwed up his reservation. It happened to be iron man week.

Oh my, frantic he tried everywhere to get a place. No luck. So, he went to a camping store and bought a tent and a few supplies. Camping spot was 20 a night.

Funny, he loved it. He had his tent on the beach and ate fresh fish with the locals camping that they caught in the Ocean.

They drank beers over a campfire near the beach and sang Hawaiian songs. He got names of people living there who offered to let him couch surf or tent in their back yard if he ever gets stuck again.

After he sued the resort as he is a lawyer he dumped them.

Now camps in Hawaii every year.

I always love that story. Even lemons can turn into lemonade.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do have a plan though.
And that is the main point whether it be timeshare or otherwise.

Funny story to tell you. A friend of mine owned a timeshare in Hawaii with a MAJOR brand. Anyway, when he arrived they screwed up his reservation. It happened to be iron man week.

Oh my, frantic he tried everywhere to get a place. No luck. So, he went to a camping store and bought a tent and a few supplies. Camping spot was 20 a night.

Funny, he loved it. He had his tent on the beach and ate fresh fish with the locals camping that they caught in the Ocean.

They drank beers over a campfire near the beach and sang Hawaiian songs. He got names of people living there who offered to let him couch surf or tent in their back yard if he ever gets stuck again.

After he sued the resort as he is a lawyer he dumped them.

Now camps in Hawaii every year.

I always love that story. Even lemons can turn into lemonade.

Every situation is different but I've seen several examples of someone with a fixed week options not realizing when their week actually was, esp when they owned back to back but not the same start date since they weeks are not always consecutive weeks in this situation.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
And that is the main point whether it be timeshare or otherwise.

Every situation is different but I've seen several examples of someone with a fixed week options not realizing when their week actually was, esp when they owned back to back but not the same start date since they weeks are not always consecutive weeks in this situation.

Yes I can see that.

With my friend, he had a confirmation with this resort. Sadly, they told him they messed up and they can’t help. Shocking I know.

Frankly, I know more details but under his settlement agreement, I promised him I would not divulge specific details.

I know he got a good settlement but they did appeal a few times and spend a lot defending themselves. He’s one of the top corporate lawyers in the US so he didn’t care when he was faced with a timeshare lawyer team.

Yes, they got their clocks cleaned in the end.

What I am getting at is timeshares do make errors leaving those who thought they were covered left at the campsite.

Saying that, his campsite experience was so positive, he does it all the time there.

He is a very wealthy, prim and proper fellow and that’s why I chuckle when he chooses camping now. He never struck me as a camper. Without this mess up, he would never fathom camping. He used to always be 5 stars all the way.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Nice.

Making lemonade out of lemons is a necessity for living a happy life.
I'm convinced of it.

And in many cases the end result is far more enjoyable than if things had gone "uneventfully",
which of course is the reward for exercising that choice.
In our family we have many stories of just that, and they are great memories.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Nice.

Making lemonade out of lemons is a necessity for living a happy life.
I'm convinced of it.

And in many cases the end result is far more enjoyable than if things had gone "uneventfully",
which of course is the reward for exercising that choice.
In our family we have many stories of just that, and they are great memories.

That’s what makes life rich. A surprise here and there spices things up sometimes.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
One last thing I should mention, he made darn sure that the compensation paid did not come out of MF. They had to prove it came from profits or insurance. He said it wasn’t the owners who messed up so they aren’t paying.

I really respected him for that because he had to fight harder to get that in the settlement.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
One last thing I should mention, he made darn sure that the compensation paid did not come out of MF. They had to prove it came from profits or insurance. He said it wasn’t the owners who messed up so they aren’t paying.

I really respected him for that because he had to fight harder to get that in the settlement.

Ok, sure, got it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
One thing I really like about timeshares is that you can find some favorite destinations and repeat year in, year out with a relatively affordable budget. Then I can spruce up my annual vacations by throwing in some more unique things like sailing and cruises for cash as well as some fancy hotels with my MB points and cash or a trip to a new destination. Right now, I consider Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean to be my equivalent of “domestic” travel since they are all like a trip to the East Coast from SFO. Marriott and MVC are getting so large that I can often find something in the timeshares or the hotel side. I really like this a lot. I have no need to leave the Marriott family usually. I do have some non-Marriott timeshares but I feel most loyal to Marriott due to its breath of reach as well as the luxury options with Ritz Carlton and the luxury hotels.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
When you say "forced" I assume it's something you want to do and the timeshares reminds you to do so routinely.
I'm a lawyer and speaker. My schedule is set months, even years, out, and includes lots of business travel. In just the first 20 days of May I've been in Washington DC, Dallas, San Antonio, San Jose and Sacramento. Back to Sacramento in a week. I'm scheduled for Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Austin between now and December (plus 2 weeks in Australia playing golf).

So, by "forced" I mean OWNING timeshares means I force myself to choose a time well (a year) in advance, reserve my places, and get away with my family. I've got two weeks coming up in Hawaii that I booked a year ago. That allowed me to ensure that I scheduled all my legal work around it. No trials, no depositions, etc. If I relied on renting, it would be all too easy to just be too busy. My point, however, is that there is value, at least to me, not measurable in dollars. If I had the luxury of the unplanned 1-wk getaway as you appear to have I might see it differently. My schedule just doesn't permit that, nor will it for the next 5+ years.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a lawyer and speaker. My schedule is set months, even years, out, and includes lots of business travel. In just the first 20 days of May I've been in Washington DC, Dallas, San Antonio, San Jose and Sacramento. Back to Sacramento in a week. I'm scheduled for Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Austin between now and December (plus 2 weeks in Australia playing golf).

So, by "forced" I mean OWNING timeshares means I force myself to choose a time well (a year) in advance, reserve my places, and get away with my family. I've got two weeks coming up in Hawaii that I booked a year ago. That allowed me to ensure that I scheduled all my legal work around it. No trials, no depositions, etc. If I relied on renting, it would be all too easy to just be too busy. My point, however, is that there is value, at least to me, not measurable in dollars. If I had the luxury of the unplanned 1-wk getaway as you appear to have I might see it differently. My schedule just doesn't permit that, nor will it for the next 5+ years.
But you could do that without timeshares, it just takes planning which you're already doing. For me personally it has encouraged me to do more than I might have otherwise and it pushes me to consider things I would not have done otherwise. But it your case, as you're presented it, neither of those apply. Timeshares are comfortable to me as well. We enjoy space and not only are we comfortable without maid service, we actually prefer not having it.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
But you could do that without timeshares, it just takes planning which you're already doing. For me personally it has encouraged me to do more than I might have otherwise and it pushes me to consider things I would not have done otherwise. But it your case, as you're presented it, neither of those apply. Timeshares are comfortable to me as well. We enjoy space and not only are we comfortable without maid service, we actually prefer not having it.
You missed the key line... "If I relied on renting, it would be all too easy to just be too busy."

Owning changes the emotional landscape for me. There is this DOLLAR commitment that's been made so I HAVE to get it done. The very nature and benefit of not owning and renting instead is that you are not financially committed until you've made and can no longer cancel the reservation. So, what's the hurry? And if a (work) conflict comes up? No problem, I'll just change or cancel my reservation. There is no money LOST if I don't get around to it. Owning creates a significant financial incentive to USE the property and not allow excuses to put it off. It's all a mental game. (The best analogy I have, for me, is how when I have an appointment with my trainer I never fail to go to the gym and work out, but when I don't, and so I don't HAVE to be there, I rarely go.)

We all have our own reasons for owning, or renting. There is definitely no one answer or "right" reason. For me the financial part is a distant second in importance. It may well NOT be the most dollar-efficient way to vacation. I'm okay with that, because I use it. And, it makes my wife happy, and that has no DOLLAR value, but is worth a lot! :)

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
You missed the key line... "If I relied on renting, it would be all too easy to just be too busy."

Owning changes the emotional landscape for me. There is this DOLLAR commitment that's been made so I HAVE to get it done. The very nature and benefit of not owning and renting instead is that you are not financially committed until you've made and can no longer cancel the reservation. So, what's the hurry? And if a (work) conflict comes up? No problem, I'll just change or cancel my reservation. There is no money LOST if I don't get around to it. Owning creates a significant financial incentive to USE the property and not allow excuses to put it off. It's all a mental game. (The best analogy I have, for me, is how when I have an appointment with my trainer I never fail to go to the gym and work out, but when I don't, and so I don't HAVE to be there, I rarely go.)

We all have our own reasons for owning, or renting. There is definitely no one answer or "right" reason. For me the financial part is a distant second in importance. It may well NOT be the most dollar-efficient way to vacation. I'm okay with that, because I use it. And, it makes my wife happy, and that has no DOLLAR value, but is worth a lot! :)

I agree

I respect those who own and those who rent. It’s a personal choice.

If you see value in owning and it fits your lifestyle, go for it.

Renting, for me, is freedom because I’m not locked into anything. However, I don’t get consistency of brand, sometimes (but very rare) pay more, love the thrill of the bargain hunt and am adventurous. That wouldn’t work for everyone.

I will say, whether you rent or own, there are many beautiful timeshares and they are nice to stay in overall.

Everyone has their own reasons and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I didn't miss it but I think you missed the point that it's a choice you make and you could just as easily make the choice to do it a different way. I realize it makes you pay attention but you could chose to pay attention for other options if you wanted.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I didn't miss it but I think you missed the point that it's a choice you make and you could just as easily make the choice to do it a different way. I realize it makes you pay attention but you could chose to pay attention for other options if you wanted.
Yes, if one wishes to ignore his or her nature and personality, one could make choices that assume or require behavior that's not consistent with those natural character traits and more or less ignore their own truth. I'm more pragmatic. It's akin to saying I COULD choose to work less by ignoring clients that call outside "regular" hours. But, I won't. It's not me. So, why would I make decisions based on me being someone I know I'm not, or acting in a way I know I won't act?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Yes, if one wishes to ignore his or her nature and personality, one could make choices that assume or require behavior that's not consistent with those natural character traits and more or less ignore their own truth. I'm more pragmatic. It's akin to saying I COULD choose to work less by ignoring clients that call outside "regular" hours. But, I won't. It's not me. So, why would I make decisions based on me being someone I know I'm not, or acting in a way I know I won't act?

What’s the old song. Oh yes, here it is...

Hey, it’s good to be me...

And know who me is

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Haha—-
I have to say that we, too, find ownership a huge motivator. It’s easy to get in a rut, allocate resources elsewhere, not bother to schedule vacation time (despite having a lot of flexibility), etc.. there were many years where my husband would be left with 3 weeks vacation in May (with their year ending the end of June). Now we’re sure to get away a few times a year. We often parlay our winter week into two weeks, nabbing an off season exchange late Fall, and take the family on an annual beach trip. Our older grandsons, 9 and 5, talk all year about things they’re going to do in Aruba, and are looking forward to playing with their 2 year old cousin this summer. Knowing my kids if we didn’t own something with set dates for them to work around the likelihood is it’d never get planned,, or the process of planning would be so convoluted it’d sap the enjoyment.
Which brings up the added benefit of not only motivating us to go, it’s enabled us to invite friends on many occasions and regularly travel with family. And it’s especially wonderful to have set the precedent of traveling with grandchildren, which has carried over into other shorter weekend trips and even to an upcoming trip to London. Speaking of which, that’ll be my first AirBNB, since the family finds vacations enhanced by sharing accommodations; I think that says it all!