• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Orange Lake East

Herk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello... currently have option to buy resale from a friend (for essentially closing costs) for 133,000 points at Holiday Inn Vacation Club Orange Lake East in Kissimmee.

It’s a bi annual usage (which is what we want).

Just wondering what 133k points can get throughout the system.

We currently own a bi annual weeks based timeshare (floating week) so are unfamiliar with points based systems.

Any information, advice would be appreciated. I did a search here but not looking to know if the price I’m paying is a good deal or not - basically just curious if 133k HIVC points is enough for a 7-day 2BR vacation at most locations. (Ie, I know 210,000 Wyndham points are good enough for what we are looking for - but unfamiliar with HIVC)

If not - what is the way to add to the points?

Thanks in advance!

Update: doing a little searching on here, it looks like if I buy from my friend it’ll convert to a weeks-based timeshare, correct? Only three in the HIVC system allow for points to resale without converting to weeks - correct? Hmmm.... that confuses things.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I can't help you with the points, which were introduced about the time people here on TUG started figuring out the secret, proprietary stuff ;), but when it comes to weeks, the actual unit and actual week will be important.

I am saying that assuming things such as maintenance fees and trading power vary.

Good luck.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Hello... currently have option to buy resale from a friend (for essentially closing costs) for 133,000 points at Holiday Inn Vacation Club Orange Lake East in Kissimmee.

It’s a bi annual usage (which is what we want).

Just wondering what 133k points can get throughout the system.

We currently own a bi annual weeks based timeshare (floating week) so are unfamiliar with points based systems.

Any information, advice would be appreciated. I did a search here but not looking to know if the price I’m paying is a good deal or not - basically just curious if 133k HIVC points is enough for a 7-day 2BR vacation at most locations. (Ie, I know 210,000 Wyndham points are good enough for what we are looking for - but unfamiliar with HIVC)

If not - what is the way to add to the points?

Thanks in advance!

Update: doing a little searching on here, it looks like if I buy from my friend it’ll convert to a weeks-based timeshare, correct? Only three in the HIVC system allow for points to resale without converting to weeks - correct? Hmmm.... that confuses things.

Update: doing a little searching on here, it looks like if I buy from my friend it’ll convert to a weeks-based timeshare, correct? Only three in the HIVC system allow for points to resale without converting to weeks - correct? Hmmm.... that confuses things. - You are correct. This wont transfer as points. You will get a deeded week. Resale value for that week is probably $1

Reactions: DrQ
Reaction score
If you want points, which offers a lot of flexibility, buy at one of the Holiday Inn Club Vacations resorts that are points-only (Lake Geneva, Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach). Orange Lake and others lose all points when you buy resale, meaning it reverts to a Fixed Week, which can be purchased for less than $100. You can then buy points at Orange Lake and then convert your week to points, but you're looking at over $15000.

TS

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Did someone recently ask about scams?

Sell folks weeks. Then, using them as cash cows, charge them 1000s to convert to Points. Then revert them to Weeks. Then charge them 1000s to convert back to what got reverted.

You would think folks would see through crap like this. Oh yeah, some do, and want out.

Sad.

But, then, I hear it's the victims fault, that they should have known what was going on. Sorta like saying, "Well, she shouldn't have dressed that way!"

Or maybe I'm wrong.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Did someone recently ask about scams?

Sell folks weeks. Then, using them as cash cows, charge them 1000s to convert to Points. Then revert them to Weeks. Then charge them 1000s to convert back to what got reverted.

You would think folks would see through crap like this. Oh yeah, some do, and want out.

Sad.

But, then, I hear it's the victims fault, that they should have known what was going on. Sorta like saying, "Well, she shouldn't have dressed that way!"

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Many years ago (soon after RCI started the Points program) our weeks resort wanted us to switch to Points. The cost to switch was over $1000 more than what we bought the week for in 1982. We told them we had already purchased the week once, why would we pay more money to buy the exact same thing all over again? Of course they tried to tell us that Weeks were going to disappear and Points would be the only way to go! Haha, of course we are still using that week, although we don't use it for exchanges very often because we bought were we like to vacation.

About 10 years ago we decided, with retirement approaching, we should get into the Points program. I searched and eventually found a smallish Points package that was very cheap and we are very happy with. Now we have and use both programs!

~Diane

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OldGuy, the difference between your unfortunate reference and timeshares have to do with consent. When you sign a contract, that's consent. No matter what anyone wears, that DOES NOT in any way, shape, or form equal consent. Not to say that there aren't underhanded sales methods out there, but it is NOT AT ALL THE SAME. (Sorry, I just couldn't let that sit there uncontested.)