• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone own DVC aswell as Marriott?

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I suspect that Disney uses the park related timeshares as "loss leaders" for the parks, which is why the aggressive ROFR. The more you stay in the parks the more profit to Disney. Therefore, the profit is not from the up front sales, but from the ongoing theme park business(per unit).

Either way, Disney gets the profit. No other timeshare has this sort of profit linkage, although Marriott is trying to do something with the massive transfer fee for points. (20-30% of the retail price for a resale.)

Loss leaders for parks? Have you seen the retail cost of DVC? It's practically extortion rates. :D:p

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
We owned both mvc and dvc. Sold hh DVC for more than we paid for it 21 years ago. Still own boardwalk. Don't think we would get the same value from Marriott. Plus we loved dvc points system from the start. We love the variety from marriott. Pluses and minuses from each. Both have maintained and nice properties. Disney seems to be shrinking, but we are currently at Frenchman's cove and no vacuum. The variety of space and utensils seem less at both.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We owned both mvc and dvc. Sold hh DVC for more than we paid for it 21 years ago. Still own boardwalk. Don't think we would get the same value from Marriott. Plus we loved dvc points system from the start. We love the variety from marriott. Pluses and minuses from each. Both have maintained and nice properties. Disney seems to be shrinking, but we are currently at Frenchman's cove and no vacuum. The variety of space and utensils seem less at both.
Did you call and ask for one, all the locations I've not had one and wanted one, they brought one with just a phone call.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
SSR is only less desirable because of location IMO so we'll have to disagree on the validity of the comparison. I'd rate SSR as midrange for DVC but lower for WDW above OKW. When I started with the comparison I specified that I was ignoring location. Doing so I'd likely rate it one of the middle to above for the DVC resorts and on para with WL, BCV, BWV & AK and likely above BLT. Certainly if you compare Aulani to Ko Olina you have to give the nod to DVC but again, looking at absent theming the difference is little to none. To repeat, I think DVC is less variable top to bottom and overall side by side I would put Marriott above DVC looked at overall. But I don't stay at the lower Marriott like Harbour Point thus to me they are not part of the equation anyway.

I own both and I agree, SSR is only less desirable because of location. By that same token, BLT is more desirable because of proximity to Magic Kingdom. Same with Beach Club & Boardwalk because of their proximity to Epcot & Hollywood Studios.
If you take out the WDW factor, most of the Marriotts I stay at tend to be better than DVC, especially when it comes to service, room size, & amenities.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you call and ask for one, all the locations I've not had one and wanted one, they brought one with just a phone call.

Marriott is great for this. Anything I’ve ever needed that was not in the room, not only did they bring it promptly with a phone call, they always call to follow up on the request.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been if you look at developer purchases but it's not a function of resort quality but rather the park draw and the Disney name.

Couldn’t agree more. Only reason DVC holds its value so much is because of the perks associated with staying within the parks. It’s the same reason it’s so much easier to rent DVC.

DVC, esp resale, is a great product for on property stays and due to the nature of the room types and points system, it can be very cost effective compared to staying on property on cash.

Definitely, even more so since they added the parking costs.

The exchange options are far better for Marriott and for most, actually included in their decision making, less so for DVC other than internal points exchanges.

Again, Dean, great point! Also, Marriott keeps adding more locations. Except for Aulani, new DVC resorts have all been in the WDW area.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own both and I agree, SSR is only less desirable because of location. By that same token, BLT is more desirable because of proximity to Magic Kingdom. Same with Beach Club & Boardwalk because of their proximity to Epcot & Hollywood Studios.
If you take out the WDW factor, most of the Marriotts I stay at tend to be better than DVC, especially when it comes to service, room size, & amenities.
While I'd agree on room size I will point out that as a rule, rooms in higher demand locations do tend to be smaller than other locations. DVC rooms are smaller still though compared to say Aruba or Maui but those rooms are smaller than many. SSR 2 BR is under 1100 sq ft (as are most DVC resorts) compared to Aruba Surf Club and Maui new towers at around 1200 sq ft. I enjoy both and I realize this is in part an academic exercise since you really cannot completely negate one portion over another looking at them big picture (like theming & location). And both are ver nice overall. But what you can include or negate is what's is and is not important to you. For some, the location trumps all else, for others, size & quality are more important. We like both in one package where possible.

One area that DVC absolutely falls down on is that of on site service/maintenance. On a good day you're LUCKY to get a needed item delivered with DVC, say one that should have been in the room, in an hour. Generally with Marriott I've had it delivered and a phone call to make sure it was delivered in MUCH less time than that. I have quite a few stories to tell of Marriott (and Bluegreen) on the positive side with onsite maintenance related issues and little from a negative experience. For DVC I can't think of a single on site issue that stands out as positive and a few mid level issues with DVC. But I've seen lot's of reports with DVC where people needed service like repair of a jacuzzi where they called several times and no one came EVER over several days.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Loss leaders for parks? Have you seen the retail cost of DVC? It's practically extortion rates. :D:p

Yes, loss leader, in the sense of the high and consistently enforced ROFR. That reduces the net loss for a held timeshare over time. ROFR cost the TS company (any TS company) money out of profits from the first sale. If Disney sells at X and ROFR's at, say, 70% of X. The net profit is only 30% of X; as compared to a TS company the sells at X and buys back (ROFR) of 25% of X. That company keep 75% of X.
Disney makes up the difference out of the theme park, over time. Timeshares for Disney provide consistent, repeat business that they would not get otherwise. (Yes, they get repeat business, but not as often on a per family group basis. "Let's go to Disney, we're already paying for it." (If we rent it out, still, from Disney's standpoint, consistent business.))

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, loss leader, in the sense of the high and consistently enforced ROFR. That reduces the net loss for a held timeshare over time. ROFR cost the TS company (any TS company) money out of profits from the first sale. If Disney sells at X and ROFR's at, say, 70% of X. The net profit is only 30% of X; as compared to a TS company the sells at X and buys back (ROFR) of 25% of X. That company keep 75% of X.
Disney makes up the difference out of the theme park, over time. Timeshares for Disney provide consistent, repeat business that they would not get otherwise. (Yes, they get repeat business, but not as often on a per family group basis. "Let's go to Disney, we're already paying for it." (If we rent it out, still, from Disney's standpoint, consistent business.))
When things were slow back in 08/09, this was a godsend for Disney. Currently on the non DVC side it likely is costing them money because on a per trip/per person basis DVC members tend to spend less per day than non DVC guests. And since things are so crowded year around now, it is not providing that benefit it did at one time.

4Sunsets

Reaction score

Still in disagreement on this point about loss leader. DVC has/had a significant markup from the start. Sort of like charging 200% upfront and then saying what a bargain it is to get some of your money back (and neglecting the fact that the cost to purchase also went up 100% over the time of the ownership).

As an owner of both, DVC and MVC, in hindsight if I had to decide between the two, MVC is the much better value, even though I am unhappy with MVC regarding MF right now and changes. Aulani is crowded to overflowing generally and it takes away much of the enjoyment unfortunately.

All that said, I do applaud DVC for a strong buyback program and hope it is still in place when we decide to sell.

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
When things were slow back in 08/09, this was a godsend for Disney. Currently on the non DVC side it likely is costing them money because on a per trip/per person basis DVC members tend to spend less per day than non DVC guests. And since things are so crowded year around now, it is not providing that benefit it did at one time.

Agree Dean, although its probably like a market hedge, when the Economy is soft DVC members will still travel so it likely acts to smooth demand a bit over economic cycles so it may still be performing as planned over the long view

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We did own both Marriott and DVC. Just sold our Marriott EOY week because the only Marriotts we plan on visiting in the next 5 years are in Orlando and Williamsburg. No need to own Marriott for those areas. We downsized our DVC points a bit, too. Marriott room quality is better than DVC in my experience because of the extra square footage and refurbishment schedule. DVC on-site at WDW is great for being on Disney property. After downsizing our Marriott and DVC, we upped our resale Wyndham points because of their internal locations like the panhandle, Waikiki Beach, Anaheim, and Gatlinburg.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree Dean, although its probably like a market hedge, when the Economy is soft DVC members will still travel so it likely acts to smooth demand a bit over economic cycles so it may still be performing as planned over the long view

Sure it's a consistent base they can count on and any losses they might take on the busier times and years could be offset on slower times and years. As a minimum it gives them a guaranteed return so to speak. Overall it's likely a positive over a number of years. But the reality is that a DVC member will spend far less day by day than a nonmember and that loss also adds up.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Sure it's a consistent base they can count on and any losses they might take on the busier times and years could be offset on slower times and years. As a minimum it gives them a guaranteed return so to speak. Overall it's likely a positive over a number of years. But the reality is that a DVC member will spend far less day by day than a nonmember and that loss also adds up.

True if park capacity is unlimited but given the state of the parks on my last few visits Disney seems to operate at reasonably high capacity in the parks most times these days. I often wonder if things like Disney springs are not there to capture non park revenue. I know you are right about DVC members and their spend at the parks as we do one or two park days on most of our 3 or 4 day visits, but my girls make up for it at Disney springs :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
True if park capacity is unlimited but given the state of the parks on my last few visits Disney seems to operate at reasonably high capacity in the parks most times these days. I often wonder if things like Disney springs are not there to capture non park revenue. I know you are right about DVC members and their spend at the parks as we do one or two park days on most of our 3 or 4 day visits, but my girls make up for it at Disney springs :)

Actually it's the very limit that creates the limitation. If the average spend for non owners who go to a park is say $200 per person per day and the average for DVC members is $150, every member that goes to the park "costs" them money. That was he basis of my opinion. If there we no capacity limits, the more the merrier but even then you have the onsite vs off site issue so they'd have to build more hotel capacity a well.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Actually it's the very limit that creates the limitation. If the average spend for non owners who go to a park is say $200 per person per day and the average for DVC members is $150, every member that goes to the park "costs" them money. That was he basis of my opinion. If there we no capacity limits, the more the merrier but even then you have the onsite vs off site issue so they'd have to build more hotel capacity a well.

Good point :)

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Did you call and ask for one, all the locations I've not had one and wanted one, they brought one with just a phone call. From dean

Dean, not sure I understand the question.

We bought DVC when they had 4 properties and said they “ would not build anymore, just renovate hotels”.......
Guess that was an incorrect assessment of the future.

Love OKW Due to large spaces
Love 21 years of memories and vacations and selling for same price (I know ,maintenance fees)
Love doesn’t last forever

Love Marriott for variety, quality, service....but never had an issue with Disney for service.
Each for different seasons of our lives.

Couldn’t trade memories with family for either.

SSR not my fav, but don’t go for room memories. With our military discount on tickets and both mostly go overboard when husbands “plans” change... no complaints.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you call and ask for one, all the locations I've not had one and wanted one, they brought one with just a phone call. From dean

Dean, not sure I understand the question.

We bought DVC when they had 4 properties and said they “ would not build anymore, just renovate hotels”.......
Guess that was an incorrect assessment of the future.

Love OKW Due to large spaces
Love 21 years of memories and vacations and selling for same price (I know ,maintenance fees)
Love doesn’t last forever

Love Marriott for variety, quality, service....but never had an issue with Disney for service.
Each for different seasons of our lives.

Couldn’t trade memories with family for either.

SSR not my fav, but don’t go for room memories. With our military discount on tickets and both mostly go overboard when husbands “plans” change... no complaints.
I was referencing your statement of no vacuum. Every time I've needed something with Marriott that is often in a timeshare unit and wasn't there, like a vacuum, they've brought the item. At Grande Ocean one time I asked for something, not recalling what ? nonstick pan, and they didn't have it so then sent someone to buy it at a local store and delivered it to me. It was delivered more quickly than the last 3-4 requests I've had with DVC for items that should have been in the room.

It sounds like you bought retail and you we given sales speak. The reality is that sales has no idea what they are planning for the future, often they don't even know what's already in the works as much as we do. I've owned DVC from when there was only one resort (though several came fairly quickly thereafter). Generally the service there is fine too but the thread was about comparisons and it's clear to me that every timeshare system I deal with does comparatively better than DVC when you look at what happens once you're in the unit. All of the others also do clearly better at planning for your arrival. DVC is the best at REACTING once something happens.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
No, didn’t ask for one, which is my fault. Used the little mechanical sweeper and broom.
Yep, bought retail, young didn’t know any better. But there was none of the pressure I have heard and do hear at others.
Again Ike them both,different reasons.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, didn’t ask for one, which is my fault. Used the little mechanical sweeper and broom.
Yep, bought retail, young didn’t know any better. But there was none of the pressure I have heard and do hear at others.
Again Ike them both,different reasons.
If they told you what you stated there was a certain amount of coercion as that has never been something that DVD has stated externally or from what I can see, even internally.