• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St Kitts Next Week!

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
HI All,
I am so excited to be leaving for St. Kitts on Saturday and hoping those who have been can give me more insights now that the time is here.
Best restaurants close by again please? Should we rent a car for a day or two?
Should we make a run to IGA in town or is the market across the street good enough?

My husband wants to do the train ride sight seeing tour. Do you see a lot on this tour? My husband loves trains FYI.

My daughter wants to take her kids age 12 and 8 to the fort and maybe the volcano. Does anyone know what beach the bus takes you to if you want to see the Caribbean side? Do they have chairs to rent? Is there somewhere on the beach to get food and drinks?

I hear this is a very quiet island which is fine for us. We have been to Aruba multiple times and seems to have a lot more to do.

Thanks in advance for your help!

fdough1

Reaction score
Hi,

We just returned on Friday from our second trip to st kitts. Couple of observations and suggestions:

1. Rent a car for the week. Hertz is at the Marriott so it is convenient. Do book now for pickup when you arrive. We had trouble because we waited till we got there

2. Go visit beaches on Caribbean side. The beach at the resort is on Atlantic side and not good. Our favorite on st kitts was Cockleshell beach. You can either hang at Spice Mill or Reggae beach bar on Cockleshell.

I don’t recommend frigate bay as the sand is black and the water full of rocks.

3. Do go to Nevis. We spent the day at Pinney’s beach and loved it. Ate at the Lime Beach bar. Food was very good and they give you a free chair and umbrella rental if you eat there. Didn’t care for Sunshine’s beach bar which was just next door.

4. Our favorite hangout is Shipwreck beach bar on Friars beach. Great eclectic crowd with great atmosphere and food. Plus you get to be up close and personal with the local monkeys.

5. Only restaurant we ate at other than beach bars mentioned was Rock Lobster down the street. Good but a bit pricey.

6. We shopped at the Ram’s supermarket across the street. It had everything we needed so no need to venture further...plus it convenient. We always bring all our meat so can’t comment on meats.

Enjoy,FD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Thank you FD! I thought we'd be able to get a taxi at the airport? How far is it to the resort from the airport? If I were to book now who do you suggest I book through?
I am excited to go and relax. We enjoy pool time too, especially the kids so hoping the pools are warm enough.
Thank you for all the suggestions!

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I may have to put St. Kitts on my list of places to go. I hope the flights to get there are not outrageous.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Top my husband had enough points on a CC that he built up over a very long period of time and we are going during school vacation week so much more expensive. No straight flights though.
I am wondering how the ocean is. I am assuming much like it is for us here in NE. I definitely want to get over to the Caribbean side and check it out. I wish Marriott had more timeshare places in the Caribbean!

fdough1

Reaction score
Caribbeanqueen,

Taxis are easy from airport to Marriott. Book your car through Hertz location at Frigate Bay...it’s inside the Marriott on the lobby level. I would do it online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
HI All,
I am so excited to be leaving for St. Kitts on Saturday and hoping those who have been can give me more insights now that the time is here.
Best restaurants close by again please? Should we rent a car for a day or two?
Should we make a run to IGA in town or is the market across the street good enough?

My husband wants to do the train ride sight seeing tour. Do you see a lot on this tour? My husband loves trains FYI.

My daughter wants to take her kids age 12 and 8 to the fort and maybe the volcano. Does anyone know what beach the bus takes you to if you want to see the Caribbean side? Do they have chairs to rent? Is there somewhere on the beach to get food and drinks?

I hear this is a very quiet island which is fine for us. We have been to Aruba multiple times and seems to have a lot more to do.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Have a great time.

Thanks to all who share insights in this thread and other threads. Very helpful.

We arrive on the 26th and will be there for the first time. We plan to use taxis rather than rent a car but may rent one for one day to tour the island.

Best regards.

Mike

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented taxis for every ride and that includes Nevis. I would get friendly with one or two of the doormen as they know all the taxi drivers and can steer you in the right direction.

I'll add this: if possible, avoid any areas where the cruise ship tourist are visiting in a mass. We visited Cockleshell Bay and the crowds that day were out of control. Getting served drinks or food or finding space on the beach was a major challenge. We also got hosed by a taxi charging us cruise ship prices.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Thank you for all the help, much appreciated!
Has anyone taken the train ride? Worth it?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes. Did this as a cruise excursion 1.5 years ago and it was one of the few excursions over the years we might do again.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
T
Thank you for all the help, much appreciated!
Has anyone taken the train ride? Worth it?
The train ride is fairly expensive and often very busy with cruise ship passengers.
Personally, we prefer renting a car or hiring a driver to see the island, stopping off wherever we want.
Others do like the experience though.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Just wanted to update everyone and let you know we just returned very late last night and we were sorry to leave. I have to say it was one of the best trips we have ever taken. We loved it! We found a taxi driver who took us wherever we wanted to go all week for very reasonable prices. If you have not gone to St Kitts yet I highly suggest going. Beautiful island and we had a blast, all 7 of us!
Thanks so much for the tips and suggestions!

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here now, so ask any questions.
Sweet and Savory across street has great breakfast and the omelet is huge, we shared.

Also tip - you can check cruise schedules to know when to avoid. Just google “st kitts cruise ship schedule” Found our that three ships are schedule for Wednesday - so we are planning a full resort day.

There is also a special for MVCI where you can buy a $120 spa gift certificate for $99

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to Port Zante
Found a great store “Sea Life” if you were pretending you got off cruise ship would be second alley on left and the at the end on left. . Ronnie the owner was great, talked to us for a while and told us stories of his travels including to South Dakota. Wife got a cool ring but the stories and talk were worth it. Highly recommend

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here now, so ask any questions.
Sweet and Savory across street has great breakfast and the omelet is huge, we shared.

Also tip - you can check cruise schedules to know when to avoid. Just google “st kitts cruise ship schedule” Found our that three ships are schedule for Wednesday - so we are planning a full resort day.

There is also a special for MVCI where you can buy a $120 spa gift certificate for $99

The spa at the St. Kitts resort is great!

Avoiding the cruise crowds is a must. The local vendors know how to take advantage of the cruise folks. They'll even tell you so once they warm-up to you.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting event on Wednesday. 3 cruise ships arrived. Apparently you can get a day room at Marriott and the pool was packed with cruise ship folks. Other two pools were empty and they were all well behaved so not that big a deal. Didn’t overwhelm the resort since it is pretty empty this time of year. Just curious why someone would book a cruise to go to an island to go sit at a hotel pool.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting event on Wednesday. 3 cruise ships arrived. Apparently you can get a day room at Marriott and the pool was packed with cruise ship folks. Other two pools were empty and they were all well behaved so not that big a deal. Didn’t overwhelm the resort since it is pretty empty this time of year. Just curious why someone would book a cruise to go to an island to go sit at a hotel pool.
As an owner at St Kitts, I have previously raised this issue with the General Manager after once finding all pools at the resort crowded with cruise ship day visitors.
I was assured that numbers are strictly limited, based on resort occupancy.
I have not seen a problem since then and hopefully will not in future.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be in St. Kitts at the end of the year on a cruise ship stop. What are your recommendations for the day...

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Nevis, what is the best way to get there. Ferry for port or Water Taxi Raggae beach? And did you return same way? Do I need to arrange a driver before we go or just get one when we arrive?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Nevis, what is the best way to get there. Ferry for port or Water Taxi Raggae beach? And did you return same way? Do I need to arrange a driver before we go or just get one when we arrive?
We have tried most options, dependent on whether we are including a tour around and/or a stay on Nevis
The ferries from the port in Basseterre to Charlestown
and the short crossing car and foot passenger Sea Bridge
http://www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com/st-kitts-nevis-ferry-schedule.html
Mostly though, we now just prefer a catamaran day trip
https://www.bluewatersafaris.com/
or
https://www.leewardislandscharters.com/