• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you pack for a vacation?

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a travel bin (large plastic storage container). In between trips all my travel necessities go in it. I keep a packing list that really never changes. Either I’m taking shorts or pants but that’s the only major variation.

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're heading off soon on a two week, three-location trip. Today is the day I'm packing most things into my suitcase. And now I'm curious as to how other people pack. How do you do it?

I've found my preferred suitcase still has a lot of things left over from my last trip with it, and I'm deciding how much of it I want to take. I used to think I needed every little thing I hauled with me, just in case this or that situation came up. But a lot of this stuff I haven't used in several trips. Some of it I've never used. Do I really need to take it?

Do you leave a bunch of "must take with me no matter what" miscellaneous items in the suitcase, or do you clean it out and start from scratch every time? I don't mean clothing, I mean the rest of the stuff we first-world travelers think we need.

What about the suitcase itself? Do you lay everything out you know you'll want to take, and then decide which suitcase to use, or do you always take your tried-and-true favorite every time? What about a carry-on? We'll be on three flights and a cruise ship this time - so having the right carry-on is important, but how much is enough?

What about time? When do you start packing? Is it months before, a few days before, or the day of the trip? Do you worry about whether you left something important at home? I've had a growing pile of "I think I want to take this along," but I'm thinking of starting over with just a toothbrush, and seeing what develops from there. ;)

I know some folks are super-experienced with packing light, and others take everything but the kitchen sink. I think I need some new habits. How do you do it?

Dave
I created a list of necessities and use it as a checklist, though most of these items are left in the suitcase all the time. I usually use the same checked bag every time.I'm a diver so all that is used for diving is on the list as well. I pack lighter than I used to since I've found that it's not worth taking - if I missed bringing some small item I can replace it easy enough at most destinations. I usually set out all my clothes a couple days ahead of departure so I have time to rethink what I REALLY need. Shorts and tops can be washed at a condo or rental pretty easily so I just need to bring a little soap or not - dish soap works fine on most everything. I do bring a small bottle of stain remover for serious stuff like chocolate, ketshup, etc. When I get home, i replace any of the used up little necessities so I'm ready for the next trip.

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hoard travel-sized toiletries. I have bins in my walk-in closet of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. They are souvenirs from various trips. These full bins will outlive me, I'm sure. ;) I am good about replenishing the bags as needed, so they are always filled with bottles that aren't "nearly empty." I find that I can usually get through a week as long as the bottle is relatively full, and I am a master of the quart-sized Ziploc Tetris bag game, usually fitting in two bottles of shampoo if needed (for example.) If I'm traveling longer, I am usually staying a least a few nights in a hotel, and am picking up more.

PS--I do go through about every year or so and donate a bunch to homeless organizations. I'm not ready for an episode of Hoarders. ;)
Yes! I love taking a few ziplock bags! They are handy for so many things when you are at your destination and take up no space to pack or use for small items in the suitcase to prevent spills etc.

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand. But people are saying the toiletries are always in their carryons from the last trip. They must run out I would think after one trip.
I keep my liquids in my checked bag. Less hassle at TSA and you can bring enough to last for the whole trip. We usually are staying someplace for 2-4 weeks.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have been traveling with these Ecco shoes for years: https://us.ecco.com/ecco-felicia-stretch-21704351052.html?dwvar_21704351052_color=51052#start=1 I have them in black and navy. They are so comfortable that I can wear them all day and night, every day. They are soft and have no seams to rub blisters and they wipe clean with a damp cloth. They are somewhat water proof too. They have great support for my feet. Under long pants, they look like I'm wearing boots. I do take a pair of ballet flats for dressier wear and a pair of flip flops for pool or slippers.
Your recommendation has caused me to order these, from Zappos, to try. I ordered two sizes because I kind of fall between them and in European sizing I either wear a 40 or 41 depending on the shoe. So I know I'll be returning at least one pair, but heck, it's Zappos!

jamcclure1044

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
In addition to toiletries, etc., my timeshare survival kit (for Mexico) included some items our timeshare did not always provide: coffeemaker filters, a camping-style salt & pepper shaker, diet sweetener packets, dishwasher detergent tablets and laundry detergent packets. I also would collect a bunch of single-serve condiment packets of ketchup, mustard, etc., from fast-food restaurants. A pair of pliers and a screwdriver occasionally came in handy. In the days before e-books, my wife and I would fill a suitcase with used paperback books and donate them to the resort's library when we finished them. (Unfortunately, we filled the suitcase with purchases for the return trip.)

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Layers. When I travel elsewhere, it's the same few things I wear here, but with socks, an extra layer on top and always a shawl or scarf. Haven't gotten around to trying the cubes but they do sound handy! Especially if you are changing locations. The timeshare is so easy to unpack and put things in drawers.
I layout my clothes on the floor, on top of one another and then fold in the sleeves and skirts and roll it all together. Works great! The straps inside the suitcase hold it all into place.
The girls at the car rental counter always seem happy to receive the bottles of lotions and such I can't bring home. I pick up my favorites at Sally and leave the toiletries behind. My mom just texted me and asked if she should ship them back to me. I forgot to tell her I was leaving them for my sis when she is there next month.
And, yes, while I'll lay things out in advance, I do my final packing the morning I'm leaving as I get ready. It works. I do try to take as little as possible. Once I went to the beach for two weeks and forgot to put my clothes in the suitcase. I arrived with just my pj's and swimsuit. I managed! I picked up a couple of things there to wear into town. Great trip! Life is an adventure!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Your recommendation has caused me to order these, from Zappos, to try. I ordered two sizes because I kind of fall between them and in European sizing I either wear a 40 or 41 depending on the shoe. So I know I'll be returning at least one pair, but heck, it's Zappos!

I was looking at them today at a local store. I noticed that they are making a flatter loafer look in them now. I haven't tried them. Might be good for warm summer trip. Think I still like the mine as it looks like a smooth boot out from under slacks. So whether jeans or "business casual", they look good. I wear a 39. I usually wear an 8.5 in America sizes. Sometimes an 8. You want them a little roomier for some thick socks if you are in a cold or rainy climate.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I was looking at them today at a local store. I noticed that they are making a flatter loafer look in them now. I haven't tried them. Might be good for warm summer trip. Think I still like the mine as it looks like a smooth boot out from under slacks. So whether jeans or "business casual", they look good. I wear a 39. I usually wear an 8.5 in America sizes. Sometimes an 8. You want them a little roomier for some thick socks if you are in a cold or rainy climate.
I'm hoping these work. I just received, and immediately packed up to be shipped back, a pair of Naturalizers. They were dressier than these, but I had hoped would be a good travel shoe. They cut across one of my feet and the cross straps on them were too loose and gappy. Big disappointment.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...snip... I do bring a small bottle of stain remover for serious stuff like chocolate, ketshup, etc. When I get home, i replace any of the used up little necessities so I'm ready for the next trip.

Shout makes a wet wipe stain remover that has saved me numerous times! They are individually wrapped each in about a 2.5 inch packet. A number of them come in a small box. I take six packets when I travel for a week and I have one in every purse at home. I found mine among the travel sized items, I think at Target.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm hoping these work. I just received, and immediately packed up to be shipped back, a pair of Naturalizers. They were dressier than these, but I had hoped would be a good travel shoe. They cut across one of my feet and the cross straps on them were too loose and gappy. Big disappointment.

I tried on Naot's Papaki in navy today. I need a walking sandal but I didn't like the price and the front edge of an open-toed sandal can get caught on a raised piece of pavement and take one down. I know. Fell flat on my face in London two years ago. I was embarrassed, scraped up and my back hurt! ARGH! I've done the same in Charleston with our very uneven sidewalks...even in front of our own house!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I tried on Naot's Papaki in navy today. I need a walking sandal but I didn't like the price and the front edge of an open-toed sandal can get caught on a raised piece of pavement and take one down. I know. Fell flat on my face in London two years ago. I was embarrassed, scraped up and my back hurt! ARGH! I've done the same in Charleston with our very uneven sidewalks...even in front of our own house!
The only place I take open toed sandals is to Hawaii. Actually I bring about 3 to 4 pairs, including the flip flops I wear to the beach.

My favorite shoe that goes through all seasons, can be worn with, or without socks, with pants, shirts, shorts, just about anything are my Merrells Encore Breeze. I have them in beige, black and navy.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/merrell-encore-breeze-3-mesh-clog/3595079

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
When we pack for vacation, depends on time of year and mode of travel.Driving trips we take our golf clubs and a cooler and bags for drinks and foods we like. Suitcases are for clothes, we share a large suitcase and have a smaller one for bathroom stuff and medications. Usually bring dish and washing machine soap. Our own pillows if driving.
If flying we check the big suitcase and carry on the smaller bag with travel size toiletries . I usually stick a bar of dial soap in with dirty clothes on way home. Helps keep them fresh smelling.
DH is very good at packing, lot of business travel has made him a travel pro.
With us , it’s me that plans the trip, and he organizes and executes my plans so there is a yin and yang to our travels.
Looking forward to some trips coming up this summer and fall. And full retirement very soon!
Safe travels!
Silentg

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only place I take open toed sandals is to Hawaii. Actually I bring about 3 to 4 pairs, including the flip flops I wear to the beach.

My favorite shoe that goes through all seasons, can be worn with, or without socks, with pants, shirts, shorts, just about anything are my Merrells Encore Breeze. I have them in beige, black and navy.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/merrell-encore-breeze-3-mesh-clog/3595079

Similar to the Ecco though I think the Ecco is dressier.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Similar to the Ecco though I think the Ecco is dressier.
Definitely the Ecco is dressier. The Merrell is just a good all round shoe for me for home, and I do take it on trips as well. For example I wear then with socks and my long (zip off) pants when we fly to Hawaii. When we arrive I ditch the socks and the bottoms of the pants, so I'm in shorts and shoe I can wear without socks. But I am looking for something dressier for Chicago and NYC this year.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First, I have an entirely separate wardrobe for vacations, as well as a ton of beach stuff and other vacation Only items. Most of it lives in the suitcases or in under bed storage boxes. I usually pack for a week: 2 Dresses (one short/casual, one long/dressier) 3 shorts/capris, one khaki type pant of any color (can be dressed up or down), 6 casual tops (at least 2 are 3/4 or full sleeve), 1 dressy top and dressy bolero or cardigan. Keens, jack rogers flip flops, Water shoes, Tieks (ballet flats), swimsuit(s), cover up. On the plane I wear my jeans, gym shoes, jacket or sweatshirt with any kind of t shirt or top underneath. That plus permanent toiletries and makeup, and a foldable laundry hamper, trash bag for dirtys all fit in a carry on. Although I usually pack this in a checked bag because it has a ton of room at the beginning of the trip that can then be filled with souvenirs. I definitely use packing cubes and I have a rule that each packing cube holds a category (Dresses, Tops, bottoms, and so on) and it has to EASILY zip (no overstuffing) or something has to go, this is the biggest thing that keeps me from overpacking. We do mostly beach vacays or cruises. If you coordinate everything you can get at least 2 weeks of outfits with no repeats. And washing mid trip is implied if going longer than a week.

I pack the weekend before so if I do think of something else I want to bring I have time to pack it. One way I cured my overpacking was starting on a Sunday and writing down everything I used in a week at home (literally). It’s actually a good way to pare it down. Obviously, if you don’t use it in an average week at home, you likely don’t need it on a trip.

In my humongous trip tote on the plane are all the medicines, electronics/chargers, iPods/earphones for plane, magazines, trip papers, passports, money, a black Leather (can be dressed up or down) crossbody purse (empty and folded up) and plane snacks for the whole family.

Last edited:

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Two travelers - Two carry-on, one city style backpack, one tote bag. Testing the limits - one week Florida, followed by 16 day TA cruise, followed by four+ weeks in Europe. No souvenirs to bring home.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Two travelers - Two carry-on, one city style backpack, one tote bag. Testing the limits - one week Florida, followed by 16 day TA cruise, followed by four+ weeks in Europe. No souvenirs to bring home.

Wow!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I never bring back souvenirs except maybe a tiny thing if anything at all. If we are traveling by car- like we just did- I might buy a book or calendar. If I was going overseas- nothing. I would avoid customs at all costs anyway.

I am impressed by your packing since it is such a very long time away! Good for you! How are you doing it exactly?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
We take carry-ons only, even for a long trip. If I get somewhere and find that I need something else, I buy it...It's liberating!

Exactly what I used to do on trips inside the US. If I ended up with extra stuff when it was time to come home, I would fill a USPS "One Rate" box and mail it to myself...

George

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We are book lovers and found we'd come home with heavy books or museum guides. Finally figured out to write down the name of books and come home and either order from Amazon or directly from the museum. We've also used Priority Mail flat rate boxes to ship stuff home. Cliff has threatened for years to have us fly to Santa Fe because when we drive there are also stops in Sedona and Scottsdale and with me being a basket case (and also a pottery case, a textile case and a tchotchke case) we come home with the car loaded. Have been a little better our last two trips because I know we have to move all this stuff when our name comes up on the old folks home waitlist, but not by much.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
First, I have an entirely separate wardrobe for vacations.

After my recent trip where I did carry on only for 2 weeks, I decided I need to start adding some additional quick dry items to my wardrobe that I will save for vacation travel. I'd bought a few new items that worked great but then just added some of my regular t shirts, etc., and quickly realized how much better the new stuff worked. So I'm on the look out now for some more tops and pants, especially when I find them on sale, that will make packing light easier.

My favorite souvenir is earrings. I've found some great ones at craft sales, street bazaars., small jewelry shops, etc while traveling. They aren't expensive, but I usually get lots of compliments when I wear them at home because they are typically unique designs. And it's fun to mention the locale where I found them when responding to a compliment—jewelry from Athens, Istanbul or Vancouver sounds much more interesting than an item from my local Kohl's.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I never bring back souvenirs except maybe a tiny thing if anything at all. If we are traveling by car- like we just did- I might buy a book or calendar. If I was going overseas- nothing. I would avoid customs at all costs anyway.

I am impressed by your packing since it is such a very long time away! Good for you! How are you doing it exactly?
Quick dry tops and underwear from REI and exofficio, rolling everything, two pairs of shoes. One rain/wind breaker jacket with lining. Also - we are staying mostly in same climate zone now and going north when it gets warmer there.

TTSDavid

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TheTravelSecret
Days before the trip I like to start writing a list of things to pack so that when the time comes I don't forget anything. it's a very good idea and it has worked very well.

Reaction score
Days before the trip I like to start writing a list of things to pack so that when the time comes I don't forget anything. it's a very good idea and it has worked very well.

This is really good advice! A few days before the trip, you can remember almost everything that you'll need.
I also make a list in advance