• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our Hyatt Kaanapali resale purchase just passed ROFR

eddeeeee

Reaction score
We are getting an annual week 18 one bedroom for $12k. I know there are cheaper units in Maui, but I haven't seen one this low at Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach and how well it works for our family. We have stayed there many times and it is one of the few places that actually feels like home while also feeling like a vacation. I think we got it for a decent price, but ROFR only took 1 week, so I'm not sure. Happy either way that we will get our own piece of Hawaii.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
We are getting an annual week 18 one bedroom for $12k. I know there are cheaper units in Maui, but I haven't seen one this low at Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach and how well it works for our family. We have stayed there many times and it is one of the few places that actually feels like home while also feeling like a vacation. I think we got it for a decent price, but ROFR only took 1 week, so I'm not sure. Happy either way that we will get our own piece of Hawaii.
Very nice, congratulations! Is it an ocean view or mountain view?

eddeeeee

Reaction score
It is Mountain View, but we spent much of our time on the grounds, going around Maui, and love looking at the rainbows that dance over the West Maui Mountains, so we are fine with not having the ocean view balcony. Although we will miss calling out from the balcony during the torch lighting. We would not have turned down an ocean view if it were available in the spring for that price, but nothing came close.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is Mountain View, but we spent much of our time on the grounds, going around Maui, and love looking at the rainbows that dance over the West Maui Mountains, so we are fine with not having the ocean view balcony. Although we will miss calling out from the balcony during the torch lighting. We would not have turned down an ocean view if it were available in the spring for that price, but nothing came close.
That's great. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm also considering a Mountain View and I wanted to know what you thought of it. It sounds like it's worth it. I just closed on a resale unit next door at the Marriott but I was thinking about buying here too. Thanks for the info.

eddeeeee

Reaction score
There are two drawbacks to mountain views. One, the trade winds are directly into the balcony, so on really windy days, it can be too windy to sit on the balcony. Second, stay away from unit 3201. The views from both windows in the master bedroom are partially obscured by the back side of a false roofline. You can still see over it as it is only 4' high, but still, you see a lot of flat roof. From the higher floors, you can see a bit of Molokai over the top of the resorts further north from your balcony. Congrats on your Marriott. We love that end of Ka'anapali and the Beachwalk.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are two drawbacks to mountain views. One, the trade winds are directly into the balcony, so on really windy days, it can be too windy to sit on the balcony. Second, stay away from unit 3201. The views from both windows in the master bedroom are partially obscured by the back side of a false roofline. You can still see over it as it is only 4' high, but still, you see a lot of flat roof. From the higher floors, you can see a bit of Molokai over the top of the resorts further north from your balcony. Congrats on your Marriott. We love that end of Ka'anapali and the Beachwalk.
Question - if I buy a unit at the Hyatt Kaanapali and I can't or don't want to use the week allocated, how hard is it to get say a whale season week in February or a summer week? Am I pretty much out of luck being able to get into the Hyatt Kaanapali location if I don't want to use or can't use my deeded week?

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Congratulations! We are waiting on our 2/2 OV EOYO to be added to our Hyatt account. We have never stayed at HKB but will be there for our first usage the end of September. I am hoping the Lanai is all that it is cracked up to be: we spend a lot of time pondering the importance things out there!!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Question - if I buy a unit at the Hyatt Kaanapali and I can't or don't want to use the week allocated, how hard is it to get say a whale season week in February or a summer week? Am I pretty much out of luck being able to get into the Hyatt Kaanapali location if I don't want to use or can't use my deeded week?
I don’t think it’s an automatic thing, but if you are flexible you can probably get at least a partial stay (3-4 nights), maybe the whole week. You probably won’t get OV even if you own OV because, from what I understand, most owners will rent their OV week for more than their MF’s. You might have to settle for a 1 BR as well. If these things don’t bother you, flexibility will probably work for you. We always buy specific Hyatt weeks because they are exactly what we want. Marriott or Westin have floating weeks so this might work better for you.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t think it’s an automatic thing, but if you are flexible you can probably get at least a partial stay (3-4 nights), maybe the whole week. You probably won’t get OV even if you own OV because, from what I understand, most owners will rent their OV week for more than their MF’s. You might have to settle for a 1 BR as well. If these things don’t bother you, flexibility will probably work for you. We always buy specific Hyatt weeks because they are exactly what we want. Marriott or Westin have floating weeks so this might work better for you.
Thanks for the info!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

My understanding (based on research a couple of years back) is that it would be difficult to get any Hawaii Hyatt week with points; you would be competing with every other Hyatt owner on an equal basis. The lack of flexibility was the major reason we did not purchase.

I agree with dagger1; if you need flexibility, you should look at Marriott or Westin.

taffy19

Reaction score
If you are happy with your view and week, congratulations!

You may still find another week that may be a bargain too as somebody else recently did if it passes ROFR.

Are you aware that there is a Hyatt Residence Club Forum on TUG?

You can read helpful information there and ask questions. There are many knowledgeable posters here and they will answer you.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/hyatt-residence-club.48/

eddeeeee

Reaction score
Thanks!

I have poked around on here a bit over the past few months seeing what I do and do not want to get myself into. I'm sure once the actual club documents are in my hands, I'll have lots of questions.

As to the view, I am thrilled with it. Even though it is 'Mountain View', one window in the bedroom from all the Mountain View units does look out from the ocean side of the building, so I can sit in bed and watch the ocean when I can't be on the beach. And the view still beats the last view we had at a condo this spring where we stared at a stoplight and the lower level of a 3 story parking garage out our window.

taffy19

Reaction score
Thanks!

I have poked around on here a bit over the past few months seeing what I do and do not want to get myself into. I'm sure once the actual club documents are in my hands, I'll have lots of questions.

As to the view, I am thrilled with it. Even though it is 'Mountain View', one window in the bedroom from all the Mountain View units does look out from the ocean side of the building, so I can sit in bed and watch the ocean when I can't be on the beach. And the view still beats the last view we had at a condo this spring where we stared at a stoplight and the lower level of a 3 story parking garage out our window.
It is a beautiful Mountain View and I like the floor plan of the condo too. The HKB doesn't pretend that it is an ocean view so having a partial ocean view is a nice surprise.

We toured the 1 BR unit on the 8th floor and I took pictures of the model.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-gqPv9G/

I met a couple on the 10th floor a couple years ago. They asked me what an ocean view looked like and I showed it to them. I asked them if I could take pictures of their view and this is why the album shows pictures of the 8th and 10th floor but you still look out over a flat roof of the hotel tower next door but you can see over the roof all the way to the Lahaina harbor plus enough ocean view between the two towers. It was carefully master planned, IMO.

By the way, it is the Island of Lanai that you see from here.

Enjoy your purchase and Ka’anapali Beach!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Congrats! After downsizing our timeshare portfolio, this is one resort that I would still consider buying if the price is right. We love our stay there two years ago.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did the tour a few days ago and the cheapest 1 bedroom oceanfront Every other year was $29,000 for a September week. This was for one of the upper floor units. Prices were mid 30ks for winter and summer weeks
I was thinking since there are so few 1 bedrooms what my chance would be to trade for a different week and since a lot of Hyatt resorts are 2 bedrooms would I have enough points to trade.