• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Modern and union problems

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
  • Las Vegas-headquartered Diamond Resorts, which bought The Modern Honolulu in April 2018, recently notified 78 hotel workers that their jobs will be eliminated.

• web1_20190513_b6_modern.jpg

JAMM AQUINO / JAQUINO@STARADVERTISER.COM

Layoffs at The Modern Honolulu are likely tied to rising labor costs.
Next
1 / 2
Upcoming layoffs at The Modern Honolulu are likely tied to rising labor costs and the challenge of running a hotel with too few rooms to support the public space that came with it.

Diamond Resorts of Las Vegas, which bought The Modern Honolulu in April 2018 for a reported $225 million, recently notified 78 of the hotel’s workers that their positions were to be eliminated in the next 30 days.

In a statement May 3, Diamond Resorts said, “We don’t take the decision to lay off any employee lightly, which is why we’re offering every one of these team members — full time, part time and casual — a severance package,” the statement said. “We want to make sure they have support as they transition to new careers and we will be here for them through that process as we convert the property into a vacation ownership resort.”

Labor union Unite Here Local 5 posted a press release on its website saying that the layoffs, which affect about 30% of the hotel’s staff, are spread across multiple departments, including: housekeeping, banquets, pool, in-room dining, reservations, and food and beverage. Local 5 represents 270 workers at The Modern Honolulu, which is one of 21 hotels and timeshares within Diamond Resorts’ international network of managed or affiliated properties.

The union’s relationship with The Modern Honolulu began in 2013 when workers at the property first secured a Local 5 union contract. That five-year contract included a successor provision that secured workers’ jobs if Modern Honolulu were sold to another company, or changed ownership or management. At the time, the union said this provision was important because the property’s ownership history had been turbulent.

From 1964 to 2006, the property was known as the Yacht Harbor Tower of the Ilikai Hotel. In 2006, Brian Anderson bought the Ilikai, but sold off the Yacht Harbor Tower to eRealty. Hundreds of workers lost their jobs when the Yacht Harbor Tower closed for renovations. It reopened in 2010 as the Waikiki Edition.

In 2011, the hotel was renamed The Modern Honolulu when its owner M Waikiki LLC, a subsidiary of eRealty, ousted Marriott International Inc. as the hotel’s management company and hired Modern Management Services LLC, an affiliate of Aqua-Aston Hospitality, to manage it. It sold again to investors roughly three to four years ago.

More changes came last spring when Diamond Resorts purchased the property at a per-room price of approximately $637,393. While the purchase price was slightly lower than the per room price in Hawaii in 2018, it was much higher than the national average. According to STR, a data and analytics company, on average hotel buyers paid $725,000 per room in 2018 in Hawaii, nationwide was $279,000.

The asset’s high 2018 sale price may have a role to play in the layoffs, which could signal an exit strategy or a move to timeshare, said Keith Vieira, principal at KV &Associates Hospitality Consulting.

“Conversions to partial or full timeshares usually occur when there is a big capital investment needed. Borrowing comes with a long-term payback, but timeshare is an upfront payment so investors can recoup investments faster,” Vieira said.

The union has said Diamond Resorts expressed interest in partially or fully converting the property into a timeshare and cutting guest services. The union, which did not return a call to the Honolulu Star- Advertiser, also filed charges with the National Labor Relations Board May 4, claiming that Diamond Resorts had failed to bargain in good faith and had violated federal labor law rights.

Joseph Toy, president and CEO of Hospitality Advisors LLC, said a timeshare is probably one of the most viable redevelopment plans for the property, which has struggled since the Yacht Harbor Tower was spun off from the Ilikai.

“It’s got a great waterfront location. But it never had enough rooms to support all of the public space, including restaurants and ballrooms,” Toy said. “A timeshare would allow Diamond Resorts to spread some of the operating costs to timeshare owners. Continuing as a hotel doesn’t work because there is just a high operating cost burden — including labor— on too few rooms.”

Toy said timeshare conversions typically save on labor costs because they don’t require as many employees as a full-service hotel. That could be significant since costs to employ Local 5 workers are poised to go up.

Toy said the Modern Honolulu layoffs also could be related to financial ramifications from the contract that workers at Kyo-ya owned, Marriott managed Hawaii properties secured following a 51-day strike that ended in late November.

As is the pattern with hotel-union contract negotiations in Hawaii, once one major hotel group has agreed to wage and benefit increases, workers at other hotels will ask for a similar package. But this one, which provided union members with up to $6.13 an hour in pay and benefit hikes over four years, was more costly than most.

“Labor costs aren’t an insignificant calculation,” Toy said.

The union’s woes at The Modern Honolulu also come in the midst of protracted negotiations with Hilton Hawaiian Village, where 1,700 Local 5 members work. On April 26, Local 5 members at the Hilton Hawaiian Village voted to authorize a strike there. But Hilton Hawaiian Village said progress is being made during negotiations.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The union has been on TV complaining about the timeshare conversion and that not as many workers are needed and how people are loosing their jobs. There will be more Timeshares and more Air BnB rooms to stay in during the future because the cost of labor is getting so high or I should say the cost of union hotel worker cost is getting so high.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The union has been on TV complaining about the timeshare conversion and that not as many workers are needed and how people are loosing their jobs. There will be more Timeshares and more Air BnB rooms to stay in during the future because the cost of labor is getting so high or I should say the cost of union hotel worker cost is getting so high.

I agree. Sadly, one needs to make Union dollars to survive as Hawaii is so expensive to live in.

And...sigh...another hotel turned into timeshare. I guess if I ever stay there, I will need to beat off the “come join us so we can tell you what’s going on!” Speel at yet another place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As more hotels are changing to timeshare resorts. That could be a legal option by hotel management to break or reduce the number of union employees in Hawaii. IMHO.

This is only an opinion/observation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
QUOTE="tompalm, post: 2282690, member: 11585"]The union has been on TV complaining about the timeshare conversion and that not as many workers are needed and how people are loosing their jobs. There will be more Timeshares and more Air BnB rooms to stay in during the future because the cost of labor is getting so high or I should say the cost of union hotel worker cost is getting so high.[/QUOTE]

I posted a slightly different version of this at another related thread. However, it is relevant to this thread:

While I feel for anyone that is laid off, (I had the pleasure of being one in 1990) and must seek another job without wanting to, I must make some comments on this issue to put it is perspective.

First of all they are being laid off since Diamond resorts is renovating the building to convert from Hotels Rooms to Timeshare Apartments with kitchens. The owner of properties and business MUST have the ability to modify their business model to enable them to operate their business in their financial interest. I don't know the extent of the renovation but occupancy is probably difficult if not prohibited in some areas by the renovation. Therefore, they won't need as much staff since less guests will be staying there. That is totally understandable.

Second, the people that are being laid off are in the hotel hospitality industry and unemployment is at an all time low in Hawaii. If any industry thrives in Honolulu it is that industry, therefore, the ability to get find another position should be one of the easier reemployment searches.

Finally, the laid off workers are members of Local 5 which is a union that my husband and I marched with in March around the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Not only do we support unions to help workers achieve and maintain living wages and benefits we believe that all workers should be able to join unions so they have the support of others and are NOT at the mercy of employers.

When the renovation is completed, some new positions will be opening up at the Modern.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
QUOTE="tompalm, post: 2282690, member: 11585"]The union has been on TV complaining about the timeshare conversion and that not as many workers are needed and how people are loosing their jobs. There will be more Timeshares and more Air BnB rooms to stay in during the future because the cost of labor is getting so high or I should say the cost of union hotel worker cost is getting so high.

I posted a slightly different version of this at another related thread. However, it is relevant to this thread:

While I feel for anyone that is laid off, (I had the pleasure of being one in 1990) and must seek another job without wanting to, I must make some comments on this issue to put it is perspective.

First of all they are being laid off since Diamond resorts is renovating the building to convert from Hotels Rooms to Timeshare Apartments with kitchens. The owner of properties and business MUST have the ability to modify their business model to enable them to operate their business in their financial interest. I don't know the extent of the renovation but occupancy is probably difficult if not prohibited in some areas by the renovation. Therefore, they won't need as much staff since less guests will be staying there. That is totally understandable.

Second, the people that are being laid off are in the hotel hospitality industry and unemployment is at an all time low in Hawaii. If any industry thrives in Honolulu it is that industry, therefore, the ability to get find another position should be one of the easier reemployment searches.

Finally, the laid off workers are members of Local 5 which is a union that my husband and I marched with in March around the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Not only do we support unions to help workers achieve and maintain living wages and benefits we believe that all workers should be able to join unions so they have the support of others and are NOT at the mercy of employers.

When the renovation is completed, some new positions will be opening up at the Modern.[/QUOTE]

Some good points. I certainly agree people need a living wage and in Hawaii, a living wage needs to be quite high due to the cost of living there. The problem is that most jobs in Hawaii are low paying service jobs that are unionized or not. Yes, unemployment is low but what’s there are plenty of low paying jobs.

Hotels can only charge so much per night for rooms. Simple day to day costs like utilities (which Hawaii is the highest in the nation) pushes costs even higher. I know myself, who loves Hawaii, ends up going to Mexico instead because it’s affordable. I used to go to Hawaii 3 to 4 times a year.

The trick here is not higher wages but innovative strategies to lower costs, especially rents. That way, the industry can stay competitive and provide a living wage to those who live there.

As for Unions, I used to be a government manager and I found Unions cost three times more because the workers in my department abused benefits (the Union always corrected me by telling me they are ENTITLEMENTS not benefits) like mad. We used to hire 2 staff to cover one position as this guaranteed one person showed up to work while the other one was on casual illness, family illness, personal leaves, holidays, appointment times, long term illness, union business, etc. This may work well in government because they don’t care about costs, but certainly does not work in a private sector environment.

Living wages are one thing....massive benefits are another and it seems Unions from my experience are always defending the sick time practices of Unionized employees.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
As for Unions, I used to be a government manager and I found Unions cost three times more because the workers in my department abused benefits (the Union always corrected me by telling me they are ENTITLEMENTS not benefits) like mad. We used to hire 2 staff to cover one position as this guaranteed one person showed up to work while the other one was on casual illness, family illness, personal leaves, holidays, appointment times, long term illness, union business, etc. This may work well in government because they don’t care about costs, but certainly does not work in a private sector environment.

Living wages are one thing....massive benefits are another and it seems Unions from my experience are always defending the sick time practices of Unionized employees.

I was an Operations Director at New York State Facilities and you are correct the workers got generous time off benefits and perhaps you needed some more staff to deal with that. However, 2 staff to cover one position to guarantee one person showed up to work is an exaggeration.

Some creative thinking helped deal with absenteeism issues:
I did like to cut SOME of the cleaning staff positions in half so that I had 2 half lines instead of 1 full time line. That enabled me to have twice as many cleaning people at 6:00 AM in the morning to clean the buildings before they were occupied. Since the staff was at least 1/2 time they still received full medical benefits and 1/2 retirement credit. After some time period the best workers could move to full time when full time positions opened up. If one worker was absent I could temporarily inflate a part time worker to full time by paying overtime at the straight time rate since they were still working less than 40 hours a week.

Further, I would personally review the sick time usage of all workers in my department every six months. Any worker who had less than 2 sick days left in their bank per year of service would have a verbal counseling session with me where I would ask if they had extensive illness or injury that used up a great deal of their sick time making the 2 day per year not possible. If they didn't they would get a letter from me confirming our conversation and urging them to be more careful in the use of six time. In six months if they didn't improve their sick leave usage I would put them on medical restriction and they would need to provide medical documentation for any use of sick time.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

All good points. No, actually is was 2 staff hired to fulfill one position. No kidding.

I tried some of your ideas especially the counselling session. Unfortunately, the Union accused me of “punishing sick people” and I was ordered by HR to stop.

The real kicker to me was when I sent thank you notes and gift cards to staff thanking them for their service and their excellent attendance records. HR had me stop that immediately as I was again accused by Union that I was punishing sick folks.

Unfortunately, we did not have part time positions. We had either full time or wage (relief positions). Yes, I was always assessing the wage staff to see who I would elevate to full time. However, for some reason, when people got full time and passed probation, their sick time went up. Yes, some of them retained their excellent attendance records.

Unfortunately, in my department and the others around me, we had a work culture of “entitlements”. We had HR backing Union demands and Unions telling members that they need to clean up all entitlements before they reset at year end.

Yes, it was a treat. I finally left government as an employee and now consult for them for 4 times more money. Since I am a contractor, they reward me well for performance and I get a lot more accomplished.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All good points. No, actually is was 2 staff hired to fulfill one position. No kidding.

I tried some of your ideas especially the counselling session. Unfortunately, the Union accused me of “punishing sick people” and I was ordered by HR to stop.

The real kicker to me was when I sent thank you notes and gift cards to staff thanking them for their service and their excellent attendance records. HR had me stop that immediately as I was again accused by Union that I was punishing sick folks.

Unfortunately, we did not have part time positions. We had either full time or wage (relief positions). Yes, I was always assessing the wage staff to see who I would elevate to full time. However, for some reason, when people got full time and passed probation, their sick time went up. Yes, some of them retained their excellent attendance records.

Unfortunately, in my department and the others around me, we had a work culture of “entitlements”. We had HR backing Union demands and Unions telling members that they need to clean up all entitlements before they reset at year end.

Yes, it was a treat. I finally left government as an employee and now consult for them for 4 times more money. Since I am a contractor, they reward me well for performance and I get a lot more accomplished.

The Union would back employees and call me all kinds of names, however, I knew and followed the contract since I spent 2 years in HR at the beginning of my career. In my 2 of my long stints at different College which totaled 28 years I never had a problem with HR, and some HR directors, as well as the President of one the Colleges, commended me for lowering the sick leave usage and being able to Clean Buildings better with less assigned staff. I never "punished" anyone who had a long term illness or injury that caused them to use up their time. The ones that used 1 or 2 days every month or so were the ones that I went after. However, in my last stint of 7 years I did have some flack from HR about this as well as about promotions of employees in the labor class. HR insisted that I go by seniority when promoting employees in the Labor Class(titles that didn't have specific years of experience or training requirements), when the contract CLEARLY stated that you only needed to use seniority in promotions for Non-Competitive Class employees(titles that had specific experience or training requirements). This is a fine point, but one where I knew the contract better than HR.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The Union would back employees and call me all kinds of names, however, I knew and followed the contract since I spent 2 years in HR at the beginning of my career. In my 2 of my long stints at different College which totaled 28 years I never had a problem with HR, and some HR directors, as well as the President of one the Colleges, commended me for lowering the sick leave usage and being able to Clean Buildings better with less assigned staff. I never "punished" anyone who had a long term illness or injury that caused them to use up their time. The ones that used 1 or 2 days every month or so were the ones that I went after. However, in my last stint of 7 years I did have some flack from HR about this as well as about promotions of employees in the labor class. HR insisted that I go by seniority when promoting employees in the Labor Class(titles that didn't have specific years of experience or training requirements), when the contract CLEARLY stated that you only needed to use seniority in promotions for Non-Competitive Class employees(titles that had specific experience or training requirements). This is a fine point, but one where I knew the contract better than HR.

Yes, I wish I had the same support with HR. I remember quoting the Contract and would be told that “the wording doesn’t match the spirit of the contract.”

I found things like “punishing” were twists of the day. When I argued my case, I would just be told to follow HRs lead.

Yes, it was a challenge.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I wish I had the same support with HR. I remember quoting the Contract and would be told that “the wording doesn’t match the spirit of the contract.”

I found things like “punishing” were twists of the day. When I argued my case, I would just be told to follow HRs lead.

Yes, it was a challenge.

I bet you feel that like I do, "being retired is the best job I ever had".

Aloha