• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how many rentals are RCI exchanges?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Few days ago on Ebay there were tens of week long SSR listings (several sellers), now there are none! Could this be a coincidence? Maybe Ebay is cracking down on the illegitimate rentals.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Or maybe those low prices rent out quickly?

Or maybe the rental companies read TUG and realize we may report them?

Who knows what happens on a sleazy place like eBay?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Really? EBay has millions of transactions per day, most of which are completely legitimate.
However, there are also a lot of horror stories with all those transactions. But most of the time the buyer doesn't read all the details before purchasing.
Years ago when the Wii game system was new, and you couldn't find it in stores,
people were selling just the box on eBay, and people were buying it for hundreds of dollars. No game system, just the box, even though the description stated that the box was all that was for sale.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Years ago when the Wii game system was new, and you couldn't find it in stores,
people were selling just the box on eBay, and people were buying it for hundreds of dollars. No game system, just the box, even though the description stated that the box was all that was for sale.

Still upset over that box you bought on eBay, huh?

:cool:

Actually, kind of a semi-accurate comparison of what some people thought they were getting when they bought a timeshare . . . just the box.

:(

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The irony just struck me.

Timeshare people saying eBay is sleazy. (No offense to people here.)

;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts

Actually, kind of a semi-accurate comparison of what some people thought they were getting when they bought a timeshare . . . just the box.

Lol! Nah. I've been buying on eBay since 02. Haven't gotten "scammed" once. Just gotta pay close attention to the details.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I live in Silicon Valley and have never bought or sold anything on eBay. Actually I do not know many people who use eBay, now that I think about it. I think of eBay like an electronic flea market.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I've probably had more problems with Amazon and Walmart.com over the years than ebay but you have to be careful with anything. Read the description, read the reviews, etc. I was looking at something recently on Amazon and there reviews for several different companies selling similar products were almost 100% and a fair volume of reviews but if you looked closer, they were all from that day or the day before.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Over the years, I've had more problems resolving issues at brick and mortars stores than with third party vendors at Internet sources, what with all their reviews and ratings and reliance on those Internet outlets.

What were we talking about . . . oh yeah DVC rentals, or something.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Silicon Valley and have never bought or sold anything on eBay. Actually I do not know many people who use eBay, now that I think about it. I think of eBay like an electronic flea market.
Maybe you should sometimes descend to the Earth among mortals

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My non California friends often tell me I am out of touch. But I reply they are out of touch with the way life works in the SF Bay Area and specifically the Silicon Valley.

This would be like telling someone in Hong Kong that they are out of touch with Finland.

Maybe someone like VacationForever who has lived where I live (more or less) understands what I am trying to say?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
eBay is Dead - this is common knowledge

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge

As Mark Twain said “reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated” :)

Apr 23, 2019 EARNINGS
eBay Inc. Reports First Quarter 2019 Results

Q1 Revenue of $2.6 Billion; GMV of. 22.6 Billion.

Revenue of $2.6 billion
GAAP and Non-GAAP EPS per diluted share of $0.57 and $0.67, respectively, on a continuing operations basis
GAAP and Non-GAAP operating margin of 23.0% and 29.8%, respectively
Returned $1.6 billion to shareholders in Q1, including $1.5 billion of share repurchases and $125 million paid in cash dividends

I’d agree growth has slowed down quite a bit and it’s not likely to grow as in the past but it’s growing and serves a purpose so not dead yet. I believe there are better places to work in the valley but that’s not the same as dead :). I was an IT guy before I retired and the valley tech culture is tough. I still buy a few things on eBay odd technology and vintage stuff are still more available there then elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
News to me that Ebay is dead. I have stock in company and they are doing ok. Not spectacular like in the early days, but still trudging along.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so tired of this speculation without facts

I'm thinking these posts are tongue-in-cheek as the post had a link to a disgruntled nut who sounded like he was shorting the stock. BTW, in case you caught the link before it was removed, it was dated over TWO YEARS AGO! (a lifetime in silicon valley, which is why I think this was tongue-in-cheek)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sort of tongue in cheek. I found it funny that when I googled the term “ebay is dead” so many articles and discussions pop up. I know they are still a huge dinosaur of a company but that does not mean they can’t be dead too.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a bit surprised that the SSR listings are still on the website of Vacation Strategy since i am sure that both RCI and DVC monitor TUG.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a bit surprised that the SSR listings are still on the website of Vacation Strategy since i am sure that both RCI and DVC monitor TUG.
I think RCI has shown little interest in monitoring this issue though they might for this situation. II is more active in this area of enforcement.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is currently a one bedroom unit at Saratoga Springs for Christmas week listed on eBay. It states the $190 resort fee in the item description. Buy it now price $1199, or best offer. Assuming this unit is an exchange with RCI and if that unit was 45 TPU with RCI, after paying exchange fee and guest certificate it would only be break even for the seller if he/she was at a $19.35/TPU ratio. So they must either have a much better ratio or don’t plan to make much money off of this rental considering the chance they are taking in listing it. It does seem like a steal for a renter at this price if there are no glitches along the way.

Mark

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
There is currently a one bedroom unit at Saratoga Springs for Christmas week listed on eBay. It states the $190 resort fee in the item description. Buy it now price $1199, or best offer. Assuming this unit is an exchange with RCI and if that unit was 45 TPU with RCI, after paying exchange fee and guest certificate it would only be break even for the seller if he/she was at a $19.35/TPU ratio. So they must either have a much better ratio or don’t plan to make much money off of this rental considering the chance they are taking in listing it. It does seem like a steal for a renter at this price if there are no glitches along the way.

If this was an exchange through the Wyndham portal, that week was only 105,000 Wyndham points and could easily make a $2-300 profit at an average MF rate, more if the points were from a lower-MF resort.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this was an exchange through the Wyndham portal, that week was only 105,000 Wyndham points and could easily make a $2-300 profit at an average MF rate, more if the points were from a lower-MF resort.

True enough. I didn't think of it that way and I'm even a Wyndham owner !