• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marrakech, Morocco ??

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We will be staying at Résidence Amina after our first TA Cruise.
Looking for suggestions and info from TUGers who already explored this TS and/or area..

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent six nights in a traditional riad in the heart of the Old City a few months ago. Had a terrific time, quickly got used to the hectic pace of the market and spent days exploring it. It is one of the more fascinating places in the world. When our taxi dropped us off in the Old City it was a scene that I would imagine Harrison Ford stepping out of. I have no idea if there are timeshares in the Old City but I doubt it. Outside of the Old City, there are some upscale areas but I have to say that to go to Marrakech for upscale properties wouldn't be on my list of things to spend time on. We did a day trip to the port city Essaouira, an ancient fishing village. That proved to be an error, took a full day and not at all worth it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a couple of weeks in Morocco with Overseas Adventure Travel- but 19 years ago. It was set to finish in Marrakesh, but due to a front office screw up we had an extra day there. By then we were old 'market pro's' we'd dive into the old market from various portals from the Jemaa el-Fnaa market square. We could usually find our way to an exit, but if not, give a few coins to one of the ubiquitous kids playing in the passageways and say Jemaa el-fnaa and they would lead you right out.

DO NOT miss Jemaa el-Fnaa at night. Keep your valuables close, wear no jewelry, but enjoy the orange juice squeezed before you and the snake charmers, and the sweets, OH the sweets! The second language in Morocco is French so brush up.

I know nothing of timeshares there. 3 star hotels in Marrakesh are around $49 USD, but shucks 4 Seasons is $!,495 and La Mamounia isn't saying. We were asked to leave when we tried to crash afternoon tea.

On our extra day, we went to Essouira, saw the goats in the Argan trees and ate sardines on the dock where the fishing boats discharge that day's catch. They treated us as royalty.

Morocco was one of my favorite trips. Camping on the Sahara, buying rugs, skiing down a sand dune, getting hopelessly lost in a bazaar. Yup, all of it. That said, a couple of our co-travelers, solo women had difficulties with some of the Tiguan (Blue Men of the Desert) guides/drivers.

Jim

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I just did a day trip to Morocco while I was staying at Marriott Marbella in Spain. I thought Morocco would be so exciting and fascinated. I was disappointed. The market was a lot less interesting than the markets in Turkey.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a couple of weeks in Morocco with Overseas Adventure Travel- but 19 years ago. It was set to finish in Marrakesh, but due to a front office screw up we had an extra day there. By then we were old 'market pro's' we'd dive into the old market from various portals from the Jemaa el-Fnaa market square. We could usually find our way to an exit, but if not, give a few coins to one of the ubiquitous kids playing in the passageways and say Jemaa el-fnaa and they would lead you right out.

DO NOT miss Jemaa el-Fnaa at night. Keep your valuables close, wear no jewelry, but enjoy the orange juice squeezed before you and the snake charmers, and the sweets, OH the sweets! The second language in Morocco is French so brush up.

I know nothing of timeshares there. 3 star hotels in Marrakesh are around $49 USD, but shucks 4 Seasons is $!,495 and La Mamounia isn't saying. We were asked to leave when we tried to crash afternoon tea.

On our extra day, we went to Essouira, saw the goats in the Argan trees and ate sardines on the dock where the fishing boats discharge that day's catch. They treated us as royalty.

Morocco was one of my favorite trips. Camping on the Sahara, buying rugs, skiing down a sand dune, getting hopelessly lost in a bazaar. Yup, all of it. That said, a couple of our co-travelers, solo women had difficulties with some of the Tiguan (Blue Men of the Desert) guides/drivers.

Jim

Thanks for the comments. Saw the goats! No fishing going on and would have skipped the sardines in any case. Have a great photo of me and snakes wrapped over my shoulders. Night market was a treat the couple of times we did it, the orange juice everywhere was delicious and do enough traveling to be very circumspect about our valuables. In Essaouira I was guided to two very old Jewish synagogues, both very small and very observant.

We took cabs to a mountain resort at the base of the Atlas Mountain range that was recommended by NatGeo. The one-mile climb up a path to the resort was something we'd have been better at nineteen years ago ourselves but once there, we had an incredible private overlook to the mountain range and the weather was perfect for looking, seeing the young trekkers traipsing through the hills. Fascinating stuff.

Sounds like we know how to have a good time!

Memorable trip, that's for sure.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just did a day trip to Morocco while I was staying at Marriott Marbella in Spain. I thought Morocco would be so exciting and fascinated. I was disappointed. The market was a lot less interesting than the markets in Turkey.

We were awfully young the last (and only) time we were in Turkey, at the time the embassy wouldn't let us out of Istanbul nor out at night. We were at the markets during the day but don't remember them as being that large, anywhere near the scale of the Old City. But that was a long time ago. The night markets in Hong Kong are incredible!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We were awfully young the last (and only) time we were in Turkey, at the time the embassy wouldn't let us out of Istanbul nor out at night. We were at the markets during the day but don't remember them as being that large, anywhere near the scale of the Old City. But that was a long time ago. The night markets in Hong Kong are incredible!

We went to some incredible markets in Turkey. Much bigger than Old City in Morocco.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
First positive experience with Residence Amina to share. They contacted me via email several days in advance and offered Airport pick up at Euro 20.00. We took advantage of this offer. All front desk employees speak English and offered number of suggestions regarding Marrakech during Ramadan. Breakfast at additional charge is served either at your room or on rooftop terrace and swimming pool is fixed and looks inviting.