• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So how did you pronounce VRBO?

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I just saw a commercial for VRBO (now spelled vrbo) on the TV today. For the first time I heard someone speak the name. They pronounced it as "ver-boh". :shrug:

When speaking to someone else I had always referred to it as four letters: "vee-r-bee-oh", since it was originally short for Vacation Rentals by Owner. Strange to hear it made to sound like a grammatical construction: "verb-o"!!

It's a bit like realizing years later that one of the words in the lyrics you thought you heard in listening to some song was wrong!! Just curious if I was the only one? How did you pronounce or refer to it in speech (if you ever did)? :ponder::ponder:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I feel like they used to advertise it as v.r.b.o. Which is the way that I have said it since I started using it for our 2000 Hawaii trip. VRBO rhymes with furbo. Just seems wrong, but I guess they should know how they say their own company name.

Want a heated discussion? La Croix sparkling water. Two definite camps, both think that they are right. (La Croy vs La Craw). According to their facebook page, the company uses the "La Croy" pronunciation.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think it's fake news, made up by them as they try to make their company name a brand name. Easier to get people to say it as a word, instead of the four initials. FWIW, I think it's kind kind of stupid, and I won't be changing the four-letter way I say their name.

Next thing, XEROX will try to get us to pronounce it as EKS-ROCKS. LOL! :)

Dave

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Well, glad to know I wasn't the only one!! :)

I think the new pronunciation sounds just plain weird. I will also continue to pronounce it as the four letters.

Now if they would just reduce their ridiculous booking fee percentage to something more reasonable, I might use them more often again. :(

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, glad to know I wasn't the only one!! :)

I think the new pronunciation sounds just plain weird. I will also continue to pronounce it as the four letters.

Now if they would just reduce their ridiculous booking fee percentage to something more reasonable, I might use them more often again. :(

Truth be told, I've never used them. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't see that the room I might rent would be cleaned well enough, or be free of surveillance cameras, or some other kind of weirdness. It's awful enough staying in a low budget motel, the idea of sleeping in somebody's rented-out room kind of creeps me out. I'm not a germaphobe - heck, I'm a retired sailor - I've slept in some VERY low places in my day. But the idea of Airbnb or VRBO or any other clever name you'd want to call it just puts me off.

Yes, I know - it's an odd perspective from someone who timeshares and travels as much as I do. Go figure... ;)

Dave

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Truth be told, I've never used them. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't see that the room I might rent would be cleaned well enough, or be free of surveillance cameras, or some other kind of weirdness. It's awful enough staying in a low budget motel, the idea of sleeping in somebody's rented-out room kind of creeps me out. I'm not a germapobe - heck, I'm a retired sailor - I've slept in some VERY low places in my day. But the idea of Airbnb or VRBO or any other clever name you'd want to call it just puts me off.

Yes, I know - it's an odd perspective from someone who timeshares and travels as much as I do. Go figure... ;)

Dave

I have never used them in North America. We used them primarily in the Caribbean, mostly Sint Maarten and Barbados. But I have boycotted them for over 3 years now, since they started charging a booking fee to the renter, in addition to the fee they always charged the owner. When you are renting for 2 or 3 weeks that adds up!!

We are usually renting a full villa or condo suite, that is generally rented out full-time. They are full units with full kitchens, living and dining rooms, separate bedrooms and balconies or terraces, with in-suite washer/dryers. So really not like staying in someone else's personal home. Most come with regular housekeeping and security. The experience for us has been very similar to when we are staying in a timeshare unit or larger hotel suite.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Truth be told, I've never used them. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't see that the room I might rent would be cleaned well enough, or be free of surveillance cameras, or some other kind of weirdness. It's awful enough staying in a low budget motel, the idea of sleeping in somebody's rented-out room kind of creeps me out. I'm not a germapobe - heck, I'm a retired sailor - I've slept in some VERY low places in my day. But the idea of Airbnb or VRBO or any other clever name you'd want to call it just puts me off.

Dave
I've used vrbo a couple of times, both were in Hawaii, once on the Big Island and once on Maui. They were both at resorts that also have timeshare units, one was at the resort we own at. We had a whole unit, not just a room, and they were definitely clean. :) I always read the reviews and wouldn't rent something with no reviews or poor reviews.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Four letters. We've used them to rent condos on Ft Myers Beach and in town Ft Myers. Never a room in someone's house, but rental houses or condos.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Truth be told, I've never used them. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't see that the room I might rent would be cleaned well enough...But the idea of Airbnb or VRBO or any other clever name you'd want to call it just puts me off.

Dave

I understand. My initial preference is not to stay at Airbnb. However, lately we’ve been branching out and traveling to Japan and Europe. The price for a decent hotel in a good location is crazy. And since most European hotel can only accommodate 2 people we would have to rent 2 rooms.

Thus far we’ve stayed in really beautiful accommodations in great locations for really good prices. Problem is it takes an immense of research. And until I step my foot in the door, I’m always a little nervous.

It helps that I only rent properties that are solely rental properties and not ones that are also someone’s part-time residence. I also only rent from owners or managers whose reviewers say they will bend over backwards for you.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I understand. My initial preference is not to stay at Airbnb. However, lately we’ve been branching out and traveling to Japan and Europe. The price for a decent hotel in a good location is crazy. And since most European hotel can only accommodate 2 people we would have to rent 2 rooms.

Thus far we’ve stayed in really beautiful accommodations in great locations for really good prices. Problem is it takes an immense of research. And until I step my foot in the door, I’m always a little nervous.

It helps that I only rent properties that are solely rental properties and not ones that are also someone’s part-time residence. I also only rent from owners or managers whose reviewers say they will bend over backwards for you.

See, now that's different. If it's a rental-only place, that's more like a hotel facility, and I'd probably be fine with that. But to rent Junior's room from Mom & Dad after he goes off to college seems a little strange. I'm probably overthinking things (not a new situation for me) and I'm leery of it only because I haven't done it.

Dave