• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you own a retirement/second home?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Alligators frighten me. I heard about that lady that died walking her dog on a trail by a lake in Hilton Head. That scratched Hilton Head off my bucket list. Florida and anyplace that can have gators is off the list.

This made me smile, because we're here at HHI right now, loving the 3-BR 3-BA pet-friendly near-best-beach condo that we purchased for investment, which could easily become our retirement home, if we decide to move here. Everyone's heard of that alligator death because it was such a rare occurence; different things scare different ones of us, and I'd be more scared about earthquakes than alligators -- apparently average 40 death/annually in CA (CA earthquakes were a factor against, when I was deciding where to relocate over 40 years ago and nixed SF because of that!), plus "More Southern Californians have died in rain-related natural hazards, like landslides, flooding and debris flows, than in earthquakes..."
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-chance-dying-earthquake-20160518-snap-htmlstory.html

If you can choose a retirement location that has excellent rental potential, find something you'd enjoy living in, close enough to home that you can use it yourselves when there's a vacancy, and pay for all your fees and expenses out of rental income and create some extra income in the process with which to cover mortgage payments ... the finances are much less daunting. The property is lovely and well-kept-up, with pools & tennis, fees are in the high 400's, and because we accept pets, which is a market here with less supply than demand, we rarely have a vacancy except a few weeks during shoulder seasons.

Hurricanes are a bigger risk here than alligators. When we first purchased, HHI was among the least-likely-to-be hit-by-hurricane locations in the SE. Then a couple of years ago, Matthew came thru. Last fall, we were down here and had to evacuate 2x because of oncoming possible hurricanes, which didn't end up coming here. So there's that to consider; global warming weather trends are changing things in lots of locations.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
(why I don't know- we were supposed to be looking at CCRC's until our FA put a damper on that. I am still not totally convinced he is 100% right)

I would be skeptical too. Financial advisors are supposed to help you accomplish your goals. Without knowing a lot of specifics, it sounds like you can but not the way your financial adviser would like to do it. Sometimes they have to think outside the box and be not so conventional. Not everyone has the same situation and there are many roads to get to where you want. I wouldn’t give up on that yet. Just my two cents worth. :thumbup:

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be skeptical too. Financial advisor are supposed to help you accomplish your goals. Without knowing a lot of specifics, it sounds like you can but not the way your financial adviser would like to do it. Sometimes they have to think outside the box and be not so conventional. Not everyone has the same situation and there are many roads to get to where you want. I wouldn’t give up on that yet. Just my two cents worth. :thumbup:

Are you paying the advisor based on invest able assets? Then they have a huge incentive for you to keep the money invested vs paying into something else.

I saw this with my friends. The company I used to work for did huge layoffs, including the whole group I was in. Lots of people had defined benefit pensions, and wanted to know whether they should cash them in. A number of folks asked their advisors, or were referred to pension consultants by their advisors. They were unanimously recommended to take the upfront cash and invest it (with the advisor...).

Looking at the deal, they were all way better off to keep the money in the plan. It has plenty of money, payments would be fine even if the company went bankrupt. And the returns people would have to make to do better than the plan are very high given the plan has inflation adjustments. Those advisors gave the answer that maximized $ for themselves, not their clients...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While we have a highly paid money manager, we are the ones who tell him how we have structured our income stream and and the only thing he needs to do is manage our investments. I have developed a 30-year retirement plan with regards to expenses and income, with cash flow details for the next 60 months and projected annual expense/income for the following 25 years. If I am still alive after 30 years, I also have a couple of scenarios documented as to what will fund my retirement income.

My money manager suggested that I start my SS at 70 and I showed him why it was a lousy idea. At the end of the day, no one thinks about our retirement finances better than ourselves. We should all be comfortable to be in the driver seat. FAs spend a sliver of their time on each client and don't always think through all aspects.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Are you paying the advisor based on invest able assets? Then they have a huge incentive for you to keep the money invested vs paying into something else.

I saw this with my friends. The company I used to work for did huge layoffs, including the whole group I was in. Lots of people had defined benefit pensions, and wanted to know whether they should cash them in. A number of folks asked their advisors, or were referred to pension consultants by their advisors. They were unanimously recommended to take the upfront cash and invest it (with the advisor...).

Looking at the deal, they were all way better off to keep the money in the plan. It has plenty of money, payments would be fine even if the company went bankrupt. And the returns people would have to make to do better than the plan are very high given the plan has inflation adjustments. Those advisors gave the answer that maximized $ for themselves, not their clients...

No. He is a fee only. He holds nothing of ours. Totally objective. Paid him $1500 for a plan only. I have access to his help all year and going forward I can use him by the hour or on retainer. He is a Garret Network planner.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
[QUOTE="My money manager suggested that I start my SS at 70 and I showed him why it was a lousy idea. At the end of the day, no one thinks about our retirement finances better than ourselves. We should all be comfortable to be in the driver seat. FAs spend a sliver of their time on each client and don't always think through all aspects.[/QUOTE]

Totally Agree. For this reason, we actually do our own investing with monthly guidance from financial newsletters such as Bob Brinker on specific funds. Invest in a balanced portfolio in Index fund ETFs. It's not that hard if you are willing to do a bit of homework and dollar cost average in and out of the market to hedge your bets. (This is certainly no worse than understanding the ins and outs of a TS system!) However I recognize that not everyone is wired for this.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally Agree. For this reason, we actually do our own investing with monthly guidance from financial newsletters such as Bob Brinker on specific funds. Invest in a balanced portfolio in Index fund ETFs. It's not that hard if you are willing to do a bit of homework and dollar cost average in and out of the market to hedge your bets. (This is certainly no worse than understanding the ins and outs of a TS system!) However I recognize that not everyone is wired for this.

Unfortunately I am not wired for investing my own money. I actually lost $500K in real money (not paper lost) during the .com crash. I now leave that out of my hands altogether.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, Elaine! You have a great plan!

We have never been to NC.

For us- we have been fixing up and working on homes since we were 21 years old and don't want that anymore. We live in the woods and have a lot of land. Been there/done that. It's beautiful- don't get me wrong. But too lonely to age here and also not safe as the house is secluded.

We also do not play golf or tennis. Hubby likes target practice and hunting and TV and computer and some music and puttering and I like swimming and reading and music and wine and socializing and sometimes theater and movies. We are home bodies, actually, but like to get out and about also.

We both like mountains and wildlife and scenery and I love mountain lakes and the ocean. We hate traffic and crowds. I think that about covers it for us. LOL!

Right you are about choosing a location where you can drive to see your kids or they can drive to see you. I feel that way as well. We see Alex maybe 3x per year. Summers when we are at our timeshares, Thanksgiving and XMAS. This year we will also see him next week for dinner as we are going up to NH a couple of days. (why I don't know- we were supposed to be looking at CCRC's until our FA put a damper on that. I am still not totally convinced he is 100% right)
Yes, 8 hrs or less drive is important. Our lake cottage/retirement home is 2.5 hours from our current home and kids home town. They will be spending memorial day weekend with us up there. "hope for nice weather"

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While we have a highly paid money manager, we are the ones who tell him how we have structured our income stream and and the only thing he needs to do is manage our investments. I have developed a 30-year retirement plan with regards to expenses and income, with cash flow details for the next 60 months and projected annual expense/income for the following 25 years. If I am still alive after 30 years, I also have a couple of scenarios documented as to what will fund my retirement income.

My money manager suggested that I start my SS at 70 and I showed him why it was a lousy idea. At the end of the day, no one thinks about our retirement finances better than ourselves. We should all be comfortable to be in the driver seat. FAs spend a sliver of their time on each client and don't always think through all aspects.
True that.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Unfortunately I am not wired for investing my own money. I actually lost $500K in real money (not paper lost) during the .com crash. I now leave that out of my hands altogether.

How did you lose real money during the .com crash? That was in approx 2001 so that was a long time ago, right? Not that that makes it less painful or relevant.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you lose real money during the .com crash? That was in approx 2001 so that was a long time ago, right? Not that that makes it less painful or relevant.
My ex-husband, well another good reason why he is now my ex-, "helped" tap into margin loan when stocks fell and bought more. It became double whammy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My ex-husband, well another good reason why he is now my ex-, "helped" tap into margin loan when stocks fell and bought more. It became double whammy.

That is a bummer. Glad you are rid of him. I figured you were too smart to get into this on your own. Sometimes we have no choice but to go along with loved ones. I am sure he did this without your knowledge.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hear you. But not here. We have several sub-committees for improving security and beautification etc etc. We live in a very high end condo so HOA costs is the least of the issues. My unit was sold in 2008 for $1.8m to give you an idea of the quality of the units and building.

Did you pay $1.8M or is that what it sold for at the peak of the market?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

It is always losing real money regardless if you sell or not. Stock prices change by the second.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you pay $1.8M or is that what it sold for at the peak of the market?

God no, I won't pay $1.8M for any home unless I win the lottery. LOL

It was built in 2008 and was essentially completed except for some cosmetics work when the market crashed. All 26 units were sold, in that a $35K deposit was placed, with the cheapest at $800K up to $1.8M (my unit). This resort community probably suffered the worst crash in the area. With this condo, the banks pulled all financing to the builder and borrowers. The builder filed for bankruptcy and BOA held the building until it was sold for dirt cheap to a local investor in 2012. The investor started selling all units in 2012 for cheap relative to their original prices.

The side effect of the real estate market crash in 2008 was that new rules were put in place across USA. All condos are deemed risky and automatically made non-warrantable, which means that all condos cannot get a conventional loan, i.e. FHA and VA loan. Buyers have to pay cash as one cannot get a bank loan. There are non-traditional lenders that one may now find but at very high interest rates. That essentially dropped value on all condos across the country and won't ever recover to its previous level. You can look up warrantable condos meaning on the internet. To be warrantable, the HOA can apply to be approved by meeting several criteria. A new construction is automatically made non-warrantable. That means no new condos will be built. Another is no one can own more than 10% of the units. Rental units cannot exceed 25%. There are other qualifier like lawsuit, HOA delinquency etc.

In 2014 when we looked at condos, the realtor said in the greater Las Vegas metropolitan area, there were only 2 condo buildings that were warrantable.

When we bought this unit, it was an all cash transaction as with the rest of the units in the building. We got our units relatively cheaply but not as cheaply as the other units in the building as the investor wanted his money back fast but held on the 2 best units as his profits when he sold them. We did not discover this community until 2014 when the last 2 units were left. This is a very well built and beautiful building. Owners who buy here, want to be here rather than because they need to reduce expenses in their retirement. Hence the "unicorn" of condo as observed above.

The good news is that our HOA put in an application to make our building warrantable about 4 months ago and we have now received both FHA and VA approvals. That will make it easier for owners to sell when they want to move out.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
This picture popped up on my Facebook feed. A friend got married a year ago, and her friends threw her a bachelorette party, rented a bus, hit all the clubs on fort Myers beach, she was on stage with all the bands, she is 75.9A9794AC-9029-4454-8CB3-6C3CE5653A90.jpeg

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Just before we left this year, I stumbled onto a canal-to-Gulf front lot where a manufactured home had been removed, and an absentee owner had it for sale. I searched the Internet to see what it would take to put a nice manufactured home on it, and I found a whole community near Tampa with really nice $15K-20K homes.

There's a lot of manufactured home communities in our neck 'o the swamp.

Here's what I mean: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...55,-82.42836,28.097423,-82.897339_rect/10_zm/

There's a lot of that throughout Florida, and in our neck o the swamp. You can do Florida on the cheap. We would be just fine with something like that on our owned lot, on water to the Bay and Gulf, in a quiet neighborhood.

I can't find it now, but when I was looking in March, I found a whole community of brand new ones like this for under $20K.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is always losing real money regardless if you sell or not. Stock prices change by the second.

Technically it only counts if you sell and have a real loss. Paper gains and paper losses do not count. VacationForever is correct.