• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko’Olina Availability in January

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
After several years using our weeks to trade into Ko’Olina during January and often getting a marginal view, my father-in-law is considering buying two 2 bedroom ocean view units for himself so that he has a guaranteed view and can go each year back to back in January.

My question is how hard is it to book in January? Of course, he should be able to use the 13 month reservation window for 2 back to back weeks. But, for example, are there still weeks available to book right now for 2 back to back 1 or 2 bedroom OV units during January 2020? I say 1 bedroom unit because that’s all he really needs and he could theoretically split the weeks and do something else with the studios (rent or trade).

Thanks for any information on current and general January availability!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
If your FIL buys two units, from what I understand he will be able to book 13 months out. I think he will have a good chance getting back to back weeks in January. Might be a little harder in February or March as I understand these are more popular months.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
If your FIL will become a two 2 BDRM OV owner using the 13 month reservation window for back-to-back weeks, it shouldn't be hard to book a 2 bedroom Ko Olina Ocean View in January. As you've experienced with your trade into KO during January, its doable but since trade-ins are on the "low side" of the reservation hierarchy - that's why you get a "marginal" view. That said, while you will get guaranteed Ocean View, getting desired floor (high vs low) and the desired Hale is another story and will depend on room control. Will you be purchasing weeks from private resale market or directly from Marriott? It's a pretty expensive option to consider just to get a one bedroom ocean view. Renting (Redweek, etc.) too much of a hassle? Also, if you're splitting the one bdrm and studio, know that you'll have a high likelihood of moving to a different room for the next week. A 2 bedroom back-to-back reservation will often get you desired floor/hale vs splitting the units. If your FIL does this, he can always rent the studio. Or better yet, convince him that he doesn't really need the master bedroom and you and your wife can stay in it while he stays in the studio! Both will have access to the kitchen/washer-dryer so everybody's happy. :)
NOTE: We own two 2 BDRM OF at Maui Ocean Club Napili which is supposed to be hard to get into in January/February but never have had any issues given our 13 month window and using back-to-back 2 bdrm strategy.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. Is there anyone with a Ko’Olina 2 bedroom Ocean View unit who could check to see availability for January 2020 now? That is a factor in timing the purchase.

After 2020, I think he should have a relatively easy time getting two weeks together at 13 months. But, as his primary motivation is obtaining a decent ocean view, I’d be interested in owners experiences getting ocean views. Are you able to get higher floors with actual views of the water? Thanks again.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called MVCI and they said they couldn’t tell me about Jan. 2020 availability without a week for me. Would anyone with a Ko’Olina ocean view 2 bedroom be able to check availability for Jan. 2020 for me? I’d really appreciate it (and so would my FIL). Thanks.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I have 2BR Mountain View, but I see January 2020 wide open.

Ko Olina owners have an added trick for availability, especially during hard to reserve months.
Many owners opt to use the lockoff option, so lockoff units go first and fast. However, long after the lockoffs are gone, the Single Entry Villas are still available. These are 2BR units without a lockoff door. I've seen July Full Villas available 10 months out.

If you are able to find one or two MKO OV units for sale and you sign a contract, make sure you have the owner reserve the week you want now and add the confirmation number to the sales contract. Remember that it can take months for the deed to transfer, and by then it may be too late to reserve the week.

EDIT: Just re-read the OP and although you are saying your FIL may want to buy a couple of weeks, you are looking to "book" January 2020 weeks not. Not sure what is meant by "book". If you mean renting from an owner through TUG or Redweek, then there is no rush. Those weeks will be plentiful and easy to rent. If you mean booking through Marriott, then I don't recommend that unless you somehow get deep discounts through Marriott. It's much more expensive than renting.

My response was based on buying the week - entering a sales contract now and having the seller book next week's use for you. That is the most cost-efficient way of doing it in my opinion.

As far as getting a marginal view vs a great view, the room assignments are not done until very close to arrival day. If you own a couple of weeks and give your room request a month out, you will probably get a good view. If you rent and don't let Marriott know preferences until a few days out, you will get a nice room overlooking a dumpster. There is no excellent view guarantee.

So you are not under any false assumptions - when you purchase a deeded week, the deed will in fact list a specific unit. It may be the best view in the whole building. That is only for deed purposes; it means nothing in terms of actual usage. Your use is based only on the view category. Most owners will never spend a night in their deeded unit.

Having two deeded weeks with the same view, and reserving two back to back weeks give you a pretty good priority. Even if you buy from two different sellers, have each reserve one of the Jan weeks, as long as they are connecting weeks. When the deeds finally transfer you will be golden. Marriott won't know or care they were originally reserved by different owners. The confirmations will show you as owner of each week. So timing the purchase simply means lining up the right sellers who are willing the make the reservation.

Last edited:

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I am asking about buying 2 weeks and reserving those weeks to use in January every year back to back. Is there anyone with an ocean view that could check January 2020 availability for me? Thanks. And, any insights into likely views for two consecutive weeks in a 2 bedroom ocean view in January each year?

I hadn’t thought about the potential differences with dedicated 2 bedroom units. My experience is that the NAIA tower has some of the best ocean views. So, perhaps at least for January 2020, he could use the entire 2 bedroom for a dedicated unit and still get a room and a decent view?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I am asking about buying 2 weeks and reserving those weeks to use in January every year back to back. Is there anyone with an ocean view that could check January 2020 availability for me? Thanks. And, any insights into likely views for two consecutive weeks in a 2 bedroom ocean view in January each year?

I hadn’t thought about the potential differences with dedicated 2 bedroom units. My experience is that the NAIA tower has some of the best ocean views. So, perhaps at least for January 2020, he could use the entire 2 bedroom for a dedicated unit and still get a room and a decent view?
My one week there is reserved for 2020 and also MV. I doubt one would have any issues reserving day one at 13 months out for January. Starting with week 1, January is a slower time than Feb through Easter. IMO view expectations will flow from the unit type owned including view type, Penthouse or not, 3 BR vs 2 BR. It should not matter whether the owned week is a lockoff or not when it comes to the reservation but it will matter if it's the 2 BR portion of a 3 BR. In the end one takes their chances and hopes for the best but multiple weeks or units reserved at 13 months out using those weeks will give a very high priority within what is owned.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't have any difficulty in making 13 months reservations for the month of January of each year. Will you get them right now? Likely not, but had you made the call in December 2018 you would have.

Going forward you really shouldn't have any difficulty by reserving the January time frame 13 months prior in December (i.e. reserve in December of 2019 for January of 2021).

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
At Ko Olina, they open about HALF the units at 13 months. You really should not have any problems reserving back to back Jan weeks at all. If you miss the 13 month opportunity, the rest of the units open at 12 months out, so there is a second shot, albeit with a larger competition.

Let's put it this way - if I just last week saw January 2020 island view weeks available, then they were available 13 months out and 12 months out. Ocean view would certainly also have been available.