• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Palm Desert Resort?

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to finalize a trip to Palm Desert in May for my wife and I. I am looking at either Desert Spring Villas or Desert Spring Villas II. What are the pros and cons of each resort and villas (staying in 1 bedroom)? From previous posts I have narrowed it down to these two, but if I am missing something that I should be considering about the other Marriott resorts in Palm Desert, please let me know so I can consider them. This will be our first visit to Palm Desert and will be there for a week.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
CDS, you can’t go wrong with either of these 2 properties. We own at DSV II and have never had a bad villa there. I think the location is best vs Shadow Ridge due to the proximity of the JW Marriott next door and walking distance (or short shuttle ride ) away.
Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If those are your choices, two phases of the same development, you don't have very much to differentiate on. You may as well choose the decor you prefer the most.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/ctdds-marriotts-desert-springs-villas-i/

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/ctdvi-marriotts-desert-springs-villas-ii/

The Phase I units are probably the largest Marriott units in the system. They are a slightly different layout than the standard Marriott timeshare unit. The Phase II units are the standard Marriott timeshare units. Both are lovely. All the onsite resort amenities are shared by both phases.

pd2yvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV 1 x 6
HGVC Hokulani x 4
Misc Traders x 2
The units at Villas One are amongst the largest sq footage of any timeshare system. Just coming out of refurbishing recently. If you stay at Villas One you have access to the JW Spa Mon to Fri. The Spa has a adult salt water pool, steam and sauna baths and a great gym.
I find that the Villas Two is more contemporary, a bit smaller in interior and outdoor deck size. They have a outdoor pool and water area that is very popular with families.
Both are adjacent and on same square mile Marriott property separated by two 18 hole golf courses.
Won’t go wrong with either.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We prefer DSV2 for a variety of reasons, many or possibly most prefer DSV1. View is one of those reasons. I look the room layouts better. I like the lockoffs better. I like the amenities better as far as where they are located and proximity. But there are a number of threads on this same topic here, and, most times, there are more DSV1 proponents than DSV2. I've stayed in both.

But totally agree you can't go wrong with either.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We much prefer DSV1. The unit is huge and the and the lock off is away from the main unit, which could be an issue if you have young children. It’s also closer to the JW Marriott hotel.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would decide based on whether you are traveling with children or adults. When we take our granddaughters we stay at Villas II because of the second bedroom being adjacent to the living area. If you are traveling with other adults, then Villas I is preferred because the guest area has lots of privacy and it's own entrance.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We left Palm Springs today and I can only offer these few tips.

If you go to the Living Desert give yourself a few hours.

If you decide to ride the tram buy your tickets at the resort. These are anytime tickets. If you buy tram tickets at the tram you have to wait until the ticket time on your ticket. The family behind us had to wait 2 !/2 hours. We went right in to the tram.

The federal gov is closed at the parks so these hike are free until the gov opens.

Sorry, I have zipo on the Marriotts.

Bill

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish we had known about the "anytime tickets". I had never heard of that. We were at DSV II this past week.
Thank you for the tip for next time.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Again you wont go wrong with either one. However as others have said the DSV I units are slightly larger. The DSV I grounds seem to be a little more spread out and not quite as close together. A greater percentage of the units will have golf course views at DSV I. In fact I think they all do, some just better then others. I believe some of the units in DSV 2 are at angles and have no views or only peak a boo views of the golf course. DSV I is also closer to the JW. However tram services both resorts for the JW. DSV I is generally closer to the check in area where the on site store is located. DSV 2 has the biggest pool which has a bar and restaurant service. However both have access to it. Since your staying in a 1 bedroom the layout of the lockout doesn't matter since you wont have one. My preference and ownership is a DSV 1. However I have stayed at both.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It should be pointed out that some dsv1 are close to Cook St. which can be noisy.

Every view I have ever had for 21 years at dsv2 has been amazing.

I've just never been able to get past that darn view of the heat pumps at the entrys in dsv1.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
What heat pumps? Not sure what your referring to?

Assume he is refereeing to the air conditioners. They were very visible in the unit we had last year. I agree it felt odd to have them right by the door, but that is probably better than by the patio in the back where they would make noise and blow off heat.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had 2 beautiful rooms in DSV2. After 3 days I asked if we could move to a unit with a sunny patio. The first one faced north and was always shady.

We liked the small “quiet” pool at DSV2.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Assume he is refereeing to the air conditioners. They were very visible in the unit we had last year. I agree it felt odd to have them right by the door, but that is probably better than by the patio in the back where they would make noise and blow off heat.

While I could be wrong, I think that they are heat pumps - - basically an air conditioner that can be run "backwards" (not really, but in effect) where it could also heat the unit as well as cool the unit.

Yes, they are in the front by the parking lot and you walk past them as you enter. If you in an efficiency unit in the interior of the bldg, I recall that the lanai faces towards the parking lot and you might hear the ACs. If you are in an efficiency on the ends of the bldg, the lanai faces the back of the bldg so it is less likely that you'll hear the ACs. So I advise people in an efficiency to request one at the far ends of the bldg. If you are in a 1 BR, the lanai faces the back of the bldg (towards the golf course).

BTW, in DSV2, the AC's or heat pumps are mounted on the flat area of the roof. So, you won't see them entering or exiting the bldg.

BTW, I own at both DSV1 and 2.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
While I could be wrong, I think that they are heat pumps - - basically an air conditioner that can be run "backwards" (not really, but in effect) where it could also heat the unit as well as cool the unit.

Yes, your probably correct they are heat pumps. We don't use heat pumps much around San Jose, i saw them and thought AC as they look very similar.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Never heard of heat pumps or of such a thing. But I just read about them. I guess they could be. I dont recall seeing any other type of heating unit in the units unless they are on the roof. I always look at the Ac units, or heat pumps, wondering what brand they use because I know they must be good to keep those places so cool. I believe they were Rheem or Trane.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
In the past few years, they upgraded their heat pumps to very high efficiency units and units with a bunch of electronics to communicate how they are running. This particular Marriott location has a super-savvy Director of Engineering (Glenn Knorr). He is super sharp. He is always looking for ways to save energy and/or increase efficiency of the fixed plant. Then they encountered some days where the temperature rose to a record-setting 122 degrees F. It turned out that the heat pumps were tested and certified for a slightly lower temperature (115 ?). So the pressure in the pumps was dangerously over-spec. I think that some units were having trouble starting up due to the high pressure. They ended up having to bleed off some of the refrigerant.

I know this because I was there, at the resort at this time. The outdoor ice machines were trying their best but couldn't make any ice. The best they could do when I pressed the ice button was cool water. It was really hot. So, the pools felt ---- delightful.

I enjoy going to Palm Desert at all times of the year....

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are presently in Palm Desert and ended up going with DSV 1 and got a second floor, 1 bedroom. The building is very close to the shuttle road to the JW Marriott so we have been using the pool there.
The villas are very large and nicely decorated. I would not hesitate staying here again or recommending it to others.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to finalize a trip to Palm Desert in May for my wife and I. I am looking at either Desert Spring Villas or Desert Spring Villas II. What are the pros and cons of each resort and villas (staying in 1 bedroom)? From previous posts I have narrowed it down to these two, but if I am missing something that I should be considering about the other Marriott resorts in Palm Desert, please let me know so I can consider them. This will be our first visit to Palm Desert and will be there for a week.
I'm not answering your question, but we stayed at Palm Desert about 18 months ago (Jan--as I recall). I loved it. Would go back again in a heartbeat but wife likes to see new places so the "desert" this year is the Marriott near Phoenix (I never remember resort names...sorry). Go down to the Salton Sea....we took a day to get back to airport and went "the long way" down to Salton Sea (weird, cool, spooky, weird...did I say weird?), across the desert, into mountains, toured gold mine in Julian, then over to coast and airport. Well worth it.